Uninstall software

>uninstall software
>leaves a bunch of shit in AppData, My Documents, etc.

>not using macOS(tm)

How would macos be different?

Mac os has this problem too.

so does gahnoo slash linox

the only issue i had was with steam but erasing the entire steam folder solved the problem.

>we'll keep these files in case you want to reinstall it :^)

I'M UNINSTALLING IT FOR A REASON YOU SHITES

how is the Library folder, .config and other dotfiles in your home folder any different?

>what is appcleaner
mac apps are literally copy pasting one (1) file (package)
Config files just sit in your user folders unlike windows services and reg-entries

>not use any gnu/linux package manager.

What is apt purge --remove?

I know it's better, but it kinda debunks OP's statement
>leaves a bunch of shit

his statement*

It leaves user files in case you decide to use to again, just like how on Linux we have out .dotfiles left behind and need manually cleaning up.

lol damage control

How is that damage control?

>What is apt purge --remove?
Does not affect hidden files created in the home folder.

Does this remove dependencies as well? Even if needed by other applications

>Windows
Found your problem

>I'M UNINSTALLING IT FOR A REASON YOU SHITES

FUCK YOU, SUNNIS!

Linux bitches! Everything is a file and a manual delete is the same as uninstall

It's exactly the same on Windows.

The registry is literally just a combination of /etc/ and homefolder dotfiles. It's just a filesystem that has to be accessed in a certain way. It sucks so bad because it's so awfully structured, and unlike a normal filesystem everything is incredibly hard to access, due to shit as tooling. regedit on W10 is the exact same application as it was on Windows XP in 2001. And the version on XP has only a single additional feature to the almost identical version shipped with NT 4.0 in 1996, a favorites menu to save locations. If you are a Windows developer, and you use the registry for things like config, please stop writing software.

>Linux bitches! Everything is a file and a manual delete is the same as uninstall
Unless you run Gnome lol. gconf/dconf are the Windows Registry, on Linux. Everyone gets up in arms over binary logs with systemd, but no-one is complaining about binary configuration files???

The problem is Documents and Settings and Users folders

How it is:
Program is in
>C:\Program\Program name\few folders and files
>C:\Program (x86)\Program name\all the files and exe is in here.
>C:\Program Data\Program name\few folders and files
>C:\Users\OPfag\Documents\program name\more files
>C:\Users\OPfag\AppData\Local\Program name\some files
>C:\Users\OPfag\AppData\LocalLow\Program name\a single file
>C:\Users\OPfag\AppData\Roaming\Program name\almost identical to the Program (x86) but with all the profile stuff

How it should be:
>C:\Program\Program name\ALL stuff related to the program in here with user files in "\Program name\users\OPfag\encrupted file" that only opens if you're on administrator or the right user.

Sounds exactly like my 2017 15" MacBook Pro Retina with Touch Bar :^)

You mean the "how it should be" or the "How it is"?

Anyway, in Windows it's annoying to deal with all these useless folders, it's like they do it so they can hide spying trojans and back doors in some of the many places.

That's why I use portable programs for Photoshop, Firefox, Foobar, MPHC and many more that have a portable version since it's so easy when all settings are a inside the folder.

Same with games.

Then:
>Game\Save\dickbuttpaladin.sav

Now:
>C:\Users\OPfag\Docu... no wait... uhm..Saved Ga... nope... hmmmmmmm Oh it might be in AppData\Roaming\ somewhere...

no, the registry is more like a database than /etc/, and it is monolithic, meaning it has to be loaded once every time at system boot and kept in memory, rather than accessed ad hoc like a true /etc/ directory

Everything in the registry is named so poorly, it's so dumb.

Ever used the volume mixer on Windows? Those settings are stored in the registry, here's the key used:
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore\{some hash?}
oh and they are stored in a binary format.

I understand the practical difference between a database and a fs, but what are the conceptual differences?

And really treating the registry like either a database or a fs is misguided. It's really just a dump of memory of the C code that handles registry access. It literally just dumps the data structures to disk.

>\Internet Explorer\
It truly is a shit location to store volume settings.

I remember when I used Win98(not SE) and updated Internet Explorer to 5 or 6, can't remember.
Windows didn't work after that since only Second Edition worked with that version (not stated then), and Explorer which was co-tied with IE didn't start so I was stuck right before the "login" that you can just hit cancel on since it didn't load.

the .config files? you can go in and easily delete them.

...\Internet Explorer\...
Microsoft are true software artisans. This really says "audio mixer levels" to me.

Nope

>/Internet Explorer/
>Contains shell audio volume settings
This triggers me on so many levels i dont even know where to begin

pls tell us
this thread is a rant thread

Here's another fun registry name:
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Protected - It is a violation of Windows Policy to modify. See aka.ms/browserpolicy
that's the full name, spaces and all. it's empty.

wew

Most applications that are contained in a .app executable container have all their dependencies and such built it. Application installation is literally drag and drop.

It's not dissimilar to what Flatpak, Snappy, and the one Linux distro with the unified app architecture have done years after the fact.

Okay fine then
Apt-purge --remove && rm -rf ~/.Programfolder

Is that so hard?

guess what, I can easily go to the AppData folder and delete the leftovers too, but that's not the fucking point is it?
The point is that a program shouldn't be allowed installation if the devs are too incompetent to write a proper uninstaller

>want to use windows 7 calculator in windows 10
>just copying the .exe is not enough, have to drag along a bunch of .mui and .manifest files from system32, syswow64 and winsxs folders as well
>also have to absolutely rape folder permissions in windows 10 before it lets me put files in place then unrape everything back
All this just to run a simple calculator, holy shit.

>Install program
>It creates a visible folder to story its config files on the home folder.

YOU ARE NOT A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE YOU PIECE OF SHIT

>uninstall software to install new version
>it deletes all your settings so you have to redo them

>he doesn't know about .appx container using project centennial.

hes talking about mac not ubuntu retard

>not just installing Microsoft Calculator Plus

>UWP makes this impossible
>All apps install and uninstall cleanly
>Nerds throw a shitfit anyway

it's not even limited to UWP api anymore.
see

REEEEEEEEEEE

>.DS_Store everywhere

No, thanks!

Go drink some bleach, shit for brains.

>\Internet Explorer\
oh God please no

Linux software is supposed to leave a bunch of files in its own unique self-contained dot folder for easy reinstalling. You can delete the one folder if you don't want it. Windows, on the other hand, will have you hunting around AppData, documents, program files and the registry to completely remove a program.
>but that's not the fucking point is it?
No, it's not. The point is that Windows needs a fucking package manager.

>what is asepsis

Fucking Microsoft, kek

useless thread

WHO PIRATED CREATORS EDITION OF MICROSHAFT BOTNET 10 HERE

???

All operating systems are a piece of shit, hth.

>AppData, My Documents, etc
>Mac

I don't think I'm the retarded one.

its even worse with osx because there arent any good cleaners like ccleaner or kaspersky cleaner or other derivatives

honestly the only real solution to this is vmware workstation / vmware fusion and just load a snapshot before the program was even installed

Hahaha what the fuck it's real

I heard CCleaner was shit now

Just kill me

I've been using Revo uninstaller for the past two years, and it's been a great program from cleaning up left over bullshit on my hard drive. I didn't realize how many folders and files the uninstallers for programs wouldn't bother removing.

>concerned about system cleanliness.
>software written by humans
Wipe the dust off your machine.

But it never changed

Because those are user-specific.

>not using free and open source bleachbit instead