/spg/ - Smartphone General - April 1st edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ hands-on
anandtech.com/show/11225/samsung-galaxy-s8-hands-on

Xiaomi Mi 6 leaked photos appear, it looks beautiful!
gizchina.com/2017/03/31/xiaomi-mi-6-leaked-photos-appear-looks-beautiful/

The Verge: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look!
youtube.com/watch?v=zWrmEy0lkWI

Samsung Galaxy S8 Hands On: The Infinity Phone
youtube.com/watch?v=f3xMRvnQXwk

Samsung Galaxy S8 (with Exynos 8895) benchmarked
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_with_exynos_8895_benchmarked-news-24283.php

Why didn’t Samsung upgrade the main camera on the S8?
theverge.com/2017/3/30/15121380/samsung-galaxy-s8-camera-specs-megapixels

Sapphire Blue Moto G5 goes on sale in UK
gsmarena.com/sapphire_blue_moto_g5_goes_on_sale_in_uk-news-24306.php

Brace yourselves for April 1st 'tech news'
xda-developers.com/oneplus-announces-highly-limited-dash-energy-drink-coming-this-april-1st/

old

Other urls found in this thread:

gizmodo.com/amazons-banning-cheap-unsafe-usb-c-cables-1767928156
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_note_2-8014.php
zukfans.eu/community/threads/deep-flash-revive-your-zuk-z2-from-hard-brick-state-9008-mode-easily.3504/
zukfans.eu/community/threads/solved-stuck-with-twrp-and-fastboot-only-only-twrp-recovery-accessible.5645/
xda-developers.com/samsung-exynos-and-aosp-explained-a-story-of-betrayal/
amazon.com/BLU-Advance-5-0-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B018IZ0SWI/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1490995859&sr=1-3&keywords=blu phone
gizchina.com/2017/03/31/xiaomi-mi-6-leaked-photos-appear-looks-beautiful/
opengapps.org/
postnl.post/
walmart.com/ip/Verizon-Moto-G-Play-Prepaid-Smartphone/53970798
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for #Diversity

Xiaomi's phones look so nice. I really want to get one but I'm worried about English and long term support on them. Do they get OTA updates often? Also do they work on US carriers out of the box?

Any phones these days which are any different from the standard black touchscreen slab?

Blackberry makes pretty much the only interesting designs these days imo

>Also do they work on US carriers out of the box?
Not really.
Also buggy af OS.

>gizmodo.com/amazons-banning-cheap-unsafe-usb-c-cables-1767928156
how safe is the cable that comes with xiaomeme phones?

Safer than random Amazon ones, nothing to fear from official ones

Fuckin KeyONE delayed until May, user.

We fukked.

Chinese phones tend to have limited support for US LTE bands. They usually will simply not work at all for Verizon/Sprint since those carriers use CDMA and most chinkphones are GSM only.

If you're using AT&T you want bands 2, 4, 5, 17. You could probably get away with just having 4 and 17 though.

If you're on T-Mobile you want bands 2, 4, 12. 4 being the most important and 12 being important for bigger cities and faster speeds.

The only Xiaomi phone that supports these frequencies is the Mi Note 2.
gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_note_2-8014.php

You can get other models which just support band 4, which will have limited but usable support for LTE. But it won't be ideal. Most Xiaomi phones dont support band 4 and thus you will not get any LTE service on the device in the US.

Daily reminder if you don't buy a chinkphone you are a supporter of the jews

>bricked my Zuk Z2

Hold me guys.

Nice try Xiaomishit shill.

at least i think it's bricked. stuck on ZUK logo for 10 minutes. can restart into recovery or fastboot but won't launch the OS.

zukfans.eu/community/threads/deep-flash-revive-your-zuk-z2-from-hard-brick-state-9008-mode-easily.3504/

zukfans.eu/community/threads/solved-stuck-with-twrp-and-fastboot-only-only-twrp-recovery-accessible.5645/

>GSM only
More like MSG amiright?

Why is it that Lineage officially supports meme phones like pic related but can't support officially actually popular phones like the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, the Zuk Z2, the Pixlel phones or the Galaxy S6 (yes it's an Exynos, but there is only one phone for the whole world, how hard can it be when there are tens of millions of users). It doesn't make any sense.

It depends if the kernel sources and drivers are available. Samsung is notoriously hostile to developers (especially with Exynos devices) and refuses to release the required information to port custom ROMs to the S6.

Stuff like the Pixel should have unofficial lineageos already and official should just be a matter of time. The other two will depend on if the manufacturer is releasing the required information to create the port.

>Xiaomi Mi 6
Is that thing legit? Because I would be very disappointed if it was just an April fool.

Exynos are some of the worst CPUs to make roms for. You don't have drivers for anything or nearly anything, and when you do they mostly don't work, so you have to rewrite your own. Even if it's only one phone, it's a colossal endeavor when you don't have the source at all.

More about that: xda-developers.com/samsung-exynos-and-aosp-explained-a-story-of-betrayal/

pic might be mi mix lite or something if it's real. mi 6 will probably be a more conventional looking phone

just ordered a zuk z2 pro. sold my oneplusone so this will be a nice upgrade. did i do good?

>KEYone delayed

Fucking Samsung Reeeeee

I just preordered a Galaxy S8 Plus as an upgrade from Nexus 6 (2014). N6 was feeling kinda sluggish since it update to 7.0. AT&T got them on display today and it was pretty sexy. They tried to sell me the wireless charger for $69 but I found it on eBay for $8 lol. It also came with the new VR as a preorder bonus. Might be cool.

How much of an upgrade will this be from my N6?

why are people buying samsung flagships in the current year

Why do I always have the urge to buy the latest flagships when in fact a mid tier phone is perfectly capable of delivering what I require?

Is it good Sup Forums?

Because Samsung owna like 95% of the mobile OLED market. Do you like shitty screens or something?

>N6 was feeling kinda sluggish since it update to 7.0
When will they learn? It's Android, it was always sluggish, the lag was always there, and you either don't get updates at all or they turn your phone into a potato. And for some reason you guys expect it to change.

My 5s is still as fast as ever on 10.3.

>They tried to sell me the wireless charger for $69 but I found it on eBay for $8
Your phone's going to explode, I guarantee it

>it was always sluggish, the lag was always there

Except it wasn't always sluggish.

{{no.no}}

>They tried to sell me the wireless charger for $69 but I found it on eBay for $8 lol.

Please don't blame Samsung if you're dealing with battery issues or it ends up exploding

I was talking about Android in general, since even the flagship devices of every generation stutter here and there.

I dunno man, the only real advantage of Android for me was the ease of rooting and system-wide adblocking, maybe the openness of the FS as well if it's your cup of tea.

Other than that, the functionality is identical, and your device gets all the updates for 3+ years.

Cause you're a consumerist whore

no

wait for KEYone

>N6 was feeling kinda sluggish since it update to 7.0. AT&T
It's pretty normal since this comes with the CIA botnet

God I cannot wait to sell my piece of shit iPhone 7+ 256GB phone for a fucking Pixel 2. Jesus Christ I hate this piece of shit locked down piece of technology.

Why is Apple such shit?

So i'm starting to get left behind on the mobile phone game.

Right now I have a BlackBerry Q10. It's a fantastic phone for texting, email and business. it's still pretty damn fast too. However the small screen is starting to annoy me. Also hardly any apps exist for it. I know I can sideload Android apps. The thing is that some of them work well and others don't. So I'd rather just upgrade to a phone where the apps are native.

This is where I'm not sure what to do. I've had Android phones before and they're okay. But i've always wondered what it would be like to have an iPhone. I've never owned an Apple product in my entire life and I've never been bothered by it. But a lot of my friends use iMessage and I feel so left out by not being able to use it too.

TL;DR: Should I upgrade to an Android phone or an iPhone? If Android, which one?

looking to upgrade from the Note 3.

I love this thing but the charging port is starting to get very picky on what angle the charging cord is used at.

I wish I could keep this thing forever, hell I might even buy another Note 3. I just can't get rid of this thing.

Well, last thread someone recommended the Pixel XL, but I heard it was shit, so whats the deal? I don't really use google's services and I don't want bloatware on my phone.

I also don't care for fingerprint scanner/face detection or waterproof shit, since I've literally never dropped anything ever of mine.

Well if you want to try an iphone they are known for having great resell value.

How long does gearbest usually take for processing orders? It's been a week and still processing.

I just want my zuk...

>gaybeast
Cancel and order from Ibuygou or banggood .

I wanted to get a device to browse the internet and listen to music/anime on the bus ride to class. I know you guys might be a little biased, but looking at my options,

not the best thing, but it could work. It has expandable memory so you can quickly load your stuff onto it.

amazon.com/BLU-Advance-5-0-Unlocked-Smartphone/dp/B018IZ0SWI/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1490995859&sr=1-3&keywords=blu phone

Should I buy a nokia 6 Sup Forums? looks bretty good bang for buck

Not him, but how long does bg take to process? I bought a Le Max 2 from them yesterday with a screen protector, and the protector has already shipped while the phone is still processing.

>gizchina.com/2017/03/31/xiaomi-mi-6-leaked-photos-appear-looks-beautiful/
>oh hey guys those pics aren't real but whatever!

Can we please start archiving articles? No need to give those shitfucks clicks.

if you want a 5.5" phone, sure

took me 13 days from order date until it reached my doorstep. i payed with a credit card and had to verify my identity before they dispatched the order. it took 5-6 days before the tracking number started working, then around 5 more days until the phone reached my country. then 2 more days to reach my house.

Think it's worth upgrading my trusty old(well, ancient really) HTC Desire HD to Android 4.3.1 or something along those lines?

I love the little guy and I don't have any need to buy a new phone, but I thought it might be fun to get some extra functionality out of it. If only because almost no apps are supporting 2.3 these days. Even if I could easily run it.

It's rooted and running an old version of Cyanogenmod I installed a few years ago now.

Best way to install GApps/services/Play store etc?

I'm rooted if that helps.

Tried cancelling. They gave me a tracking number about 45 minutes after I sent the email.

The fuck?

opengapps.org/

Probably fake. check 17track.net

They'll say it's already shipped so you can't cancel.

w2c?

The tracking number is for their international shipping firm Netherlands Post NL. Check the tracking number here (it should start with "R" I think): postnl.post/

If it says "pre-advised", then the package is on it's way to Netherlands Post's shipping chain and will be trackable there later.

PS: when my package said "dispatched", I actually got a picture of the package and the country code. Pic related.

Have you tried the Pixel phones? They're seriously fast and the touch latency work they did is no joke.

thanks lad. should i pick ARM or ARM64 if i'm on a Zuk Z2?

Slow piece of shit on top of being gimped by SD808, shitty keyboard compared to any other BlackBerrrys, build quality issues, unlocked version is GSM only, and no Nougat timeline/still on Marshmallow (does still get monthly security patches as soon as they're available however). Wait for the Keyone, even at $200-something I don't think you want the Priv.

Prepaid Moto G4 Play, $49.64 from Walmart
walmart.com/ip/Verizon-Moto-G-Play-Prepaid-Smartphone/53970798

If you could only choose between the standard moto g5 or a g4 plus, which one and why?
(Both with the same price, 2gb of ram and 32gb of storage)

having owned a G4 Plus, I'd go with the G5.

the G4+ got seriously hot when charging, and maybe it was just my unit, but the adaptive brightness was whack.

The G5 will get updates for longer (probably? hard to tell with Lenovo), and the fingerprint reader doesn't look as bad as that stranger square one on the G4 (plus it has gesture support). Also, it has removable battery and the 625 should give you pretty good battery life, though I never found the battery on the G4 to be that bad.

If I were you I'd spring for the 4GB version on either model if you can swing it.

OK, disregard the processor talk in my post, just found out the normal G5 doesn't have the 625

the other points should remain though

The 617 in the G4 was infamous for overheating. The base G5 has a Snapdragon 430, which isn't high end but it is cool and efficient and should be plenty fast for everyday use.

The fact that it won't have to throttle down from heat should mean better and more consistent performance as well.

Thanks lads!
Just a question, how sturdy is it? I currently have a dying moto g3 (rip headphone jack) and durability concerns me

Broke my BV5000 blackview phone.

searching for a rugged phone. Advice?

Why buy the most expensive iPhone if you're not even sure you'll like it?

What is the best phone to get on Verizon that isn't Verizon locked and isn't the Pixel?

New to Android. How do I un-botnet my phone?

Outside of the Pixel, you have the Nexus 6P, Moto X Pure, Moto G4, and Moto G5 Plus

So I'm running Superman ROM on my S7 Edge (I know, I fell for the edge meme, laugh at me) with superstock kernel.

Is there any other good stuff I can install to make my phone faster / improve battery life? I saw some mods and tweaks that claim to do that, but considering I have a debloated ROM, will I actually benefit from any of them? If so, any recommendations?

root and install Pajeet OS

>un-botnetting Android
kek

It's always better to update, damn you're really out of the security updates and all, how's it holding up?

that needs to be a thing. complete with a poo emoji with a dot on its forehead and a sacred cow.

Anyone have any tutorials, information or downloadables on phone hacking and things correlating with how to find out specifics on entities hacking ones phone. Im looking for the most intensive information possible.

TL;DR

Phone hacking and reverse engineering.

Which one is Pajeet OS?

He probably meant Lineage OS.

Used Galaxy S7 for $400 CAD or a new OnePlus 3T for $700 CAD?

Looking to upgrade from my old 2013 Moto X. Should I go Android or try an iPhone? And if Android which should I go for?

Also if I get an Android I'm looking for expandable storage and swapable battery. Also I'm looking for a good camera.

Guys, I need help. My Z1 Compact is dying one issue at a time, I'm on my 5th battery because 2 came pre-fucked and I'm starting to think that this replacement one is on the broken side too. Long story short: looking for a new phone.

Budget is 200-400€. Good developer support is a must, I don't wanna replace my phone for a while and I love custom ROMs.
I'd love something on the smaller side, but I've already went through compact options and I'd like to avoid both Sony and galaxy A5.
Please no AMOLED screens, I've developed a silly pokemon go habbit and the GUI will burn in in a matter of weeks. Screen doesn't need to be extremely high-res, I'd honestly rather avoid anything over FHD since it just seems pointless.
A good battery is a plus.
Low SAR ratings would be great too, but that's not really common criteria info so I can look into it myself.

My country is Slovenia, anything that generally works in Europe should be fine.

Moto G5 satisfies the swappable battery criteria... Not many phones do nowadays afaik tho

Nexus 5x or 6P, you can probably find them for that price

What said, also the moto G4/G4 plus, the upcoming BlackBerry Keyone, unlocked US variant of the LG G5, unlocked US variant of LG V20, unlocked US variant of Samsung S7, and the upcoming unlocked US variant LG G6. You can get them from B&H, Amazon, and (I think) Best Buy.

Honestly you'll never get updates if you get anything else than Pixel

>be on pay and go contract
>month runs out, have zero credit to pay for a new month
>still receiving 4G data

did I hack the system? I'm not contracted to my provider in any way and they can't bill me for this because they have no bank details and I have absolutely no credit to pay for this data

6P is an AMOLED so that's a no-go.. 5X seems promising, but it's been a year and a half since its release, makes me wonder how long it'll still be relevant hardware-wise.. I'll look at some benchmarks. Thanks for suggestions, still accepting ideas if anyone has more.

I need purchasing advice for my mom, she has a Galaxy Note 4 now and wants to stick with a phablet. She likes the S8+ but doesn't like the idea of leasing (TMobile) or the $850 price tag. What are your recommended large phones around $200 that isn't a laggy cheap feeling piece of shit? All she uses her phone for is Twitter so it doesn't have to have any cool features.

mi max

Getting a free v20

Should I sell or keep

I'm in the US btw, is it usable on TMobile out of the box?

Please don't frogpost

idk man I'm not american but I hear that if you want to own a phone there one of the great telecom giants need to specifically grant you the privilege of using one of their phones

seriously though check willmyphonework.net

howd that happen? Im still waiting for mine. Ordered on the 20th. Doubt i'll have it for another 3 weeks(free shipping + canada post = worst case scenario)

it was only soft-bricked. happened because i flashed an incompatible supersu with twrp. i reflashed the rom and did it all over again and it worked just fine. messing around with gapps right now.

Triggered there snowflake?

Found out it won't work on 4G here which pretty much means it doesn't work here

yea it's also 6.44" which is a bit bigger than your average phablet