/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Ignore the "TrustyFucks" anti-anime, anti-Sennheiser troll. Report for trolling and don't engage him.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

read.gov/aesop/117.html
read.gov/aesop/005.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Best budget headphones coming through.

hd600+fulla 2 master race. Are other more expensive schitt amps worth the money? who gives a shit lads. This setup is godly and compact.

Magni2/Uber should be good for most headphones

Should be, and I have no idea, but the fulla 2 is tiny and has a shit load of functions. It also has an incredible knob (no homo)

Any specific models? The sabre dac and T2 amp seem to be the popular combo

>Report for trolling and don't engage him.
Man, that bit really sticks out compared to the rest of the text. You're not our OP, are you? I want our old OP back.

1 0 Y E A R S
Y
E
A
R
S

Your snapheiser meme sucks.

Man, you already broke the rule. Will you defend this too?

Used the wrong type of glue to repair the damaged headband he purchased, and used it until it inevitably broke.

I've had my 600's for two years and the last thing that I would expect to happen, is that the headband would fucking snap. This only happens with retards who buy the 600/650 and have no idea what they're doing.

I carefully stretched mine over a shit load of books (which is the wrong thing to do btw) and the headband didn't come close to snapping.

Why are people so insecure over the 600/650? are they all akg or beyer owners? It doesn't make any fucking sense.

>mfw listening to grados

Who actually enjoys these memephones? Dat treble

>Only looking at the pictures
>Not really his story

What's the correct way to stretch 600/650?

Because they're overhyped to shit in this general. The "perfect" headphone.

If they were treated as what they are (a good $300 headphone with strong points as well as weak ones), I'm sure they would get much less hate.

i found some sr125's in my house
i need a 6.3mm to 3.5mm jack and to replace the pads (current ones are really old and turn to dust when you touch them)
is it actually worth bothering with these? wuts da soundstage like

dude can you stop

>HD600+fulla2 godly
It's decent, not godly. Got fulla2 and uber stack of schiit. HD598 sounds awesome on both, but HD600 suffers a little on fulla2 when compared to the stack.

The gain is also not sufficient, and the sound somehow falls apart past 9 o'clock or so.

>I'd like to see some before and after EQ graphs.
Characterizing the Frequency Response of Headphones – a new Paradigm
Effect of Headphone Equalization on Auditory Distance Perception
Factors That Influence Listeners' Preferred Bass and Treble Levels in Headphones
Listener Preferences for Different Headphone Target Response Curves
Listener Preferences for In-Room Loudspeaker and Headphone Target Responses
The Correlation between Distortion Audibility and Listener Preference in Headphones

All peer reviewed AES research papers. All can be found in the wiki.

HD600 owner here.

Just wearing them. Painful the first day. A little uncomfortable after. Gets looser and looser over time.

1 month now, they're already very comfy.

search in yt for "HD6xx PSA"
thank me later.

Thanks for the help user. Some plots here from "Effect of Headphone Equalization on Auditory Distance Perception".

don't reply to him. do what Sup Forums rules say you should do when someone spams.

yeah just did

I'm not looking for research papers where people have thousands of dollars worth of measuring equipment to tune their EQ settings. No, I'm asking what YOU can do, or the average headphone user here can do to fix their headphones with EQ. And the answer is not a lot.

HD 650 here, I did the same. It's worth it so they adjust perfectly to the shape of your head, including the earpads. And a good amount of clamp is preferable for me as long as it isn't too much. There was a bit too much pressure on my jaw back when I first got them that was bothering me a bit, but now they're comfy enough to the point that I can wear them for 6+ hours straight.

We're all here for the audio, and the hd600's sound fucking amazing unless you need monster bass. Most people can't afford 600's so they get jealous.

>thousands of dollars worth of measuring equipment to tune their EQ settings
EQ doesn't cost a thing and you don't need equipment to do it, just software.
>I'm asking what YOU can do, or the average headphone user here can do to fix their headphones with EQ
Install a parametric equalizer, understand how to operate it, play around with filters and test tones and then do whatever you want.
>And the answer is not a lot.
What makes you say that? The only issue I see is a lack of a clear reference point and this is where some skill in listening along with appropriate test tones come into play to aid you. Perhaps some help from measurements too just to give you some perspective but you'll have to be careful with those. You can't make a completely accurate EQ for your own ears on an industry leading measurement coupler either as your own HRTF differs from its. There's always room for manual adjustment.

Jesus fucking christ ignore what everyone else has said.

Open the headphones to the maximum size. After that, stretch the metal band with moderate pressure, one side at a time.

That's it, do it bit by bit and you will feel the difference straight away.

>And the headband didn't come close to snapping
What? You wouldn't know until *snap* it's too late.

>just play it by ear, it'll be fine I swear
>you can totally create a reference sound of $1000+ headphones from your $200 ones, trust me
Thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick with common sense, thank you very much.

>the hd600's sound fucking amazing unless you need monster bass. Most people can't afford 600's so they get jealous.

It's like the story of the fox without a tail.

read.gov/aesop/117.html

>Do not listen to the advice of him who seeks to lower you to his own level.

Seems like you're the same guy I spoke about the fulla 2 with over a week ago. I'm loving my fulla 2 over my old e10k, I sold that thing yesterday and it was definitely harsher sounding imo.

What makes the schitt stack better than the fulla 2?. You clearly think it sounds better, tell me why f.am.

They have a certain sound there is no wrong in using multiple cans

Some people just want bass in general.

tail = monster bass?

They clearly don't know what they want. I know better than you user! I know better! Buy a HD600! It's perfect in every way! Behead those who dislike the HD600!

How do they compare to Fidelio X2

Your own price point comparison is a good example of a common sense not working. Price isn't related to headphone sound quality in any way even if it would be nice to think that more expensive equals better quality. Does your common sense also form strong opinions on concepts you don't understand or is that trait actually something else?

Yeah, I guess you're right. brb selling all my headphones, shitphones from Walmart for $10 should be good enough.

I don't have time for someone who twists what I say in every single post. Have a good one user.

Sound quality-wise? Generally: less bass, more treble, less soundstage, and more grain in the higher frequency.

Yeah, that's probably me. I got my actual fulla2 (before, I had the opportunity to test a loan).

This is playing some idol songs, think mastered -20dB average.

HD598 sound the same.

HD600, at low volume, sounds identical. This is up to 8-9 o'clock or so. After that, knob doesn't just increase the volume, but it also starts changing the sound, which is a bad sign. It does indeed sound subjectively worse than the magni2 does in that (effective) volume range.

Furthermore, and even at the max, the volume isn't that high either. For most music/games it is ok, but it tends to be too little gain for series and movies, and some games. This is also a problem with the magni2 at low gain, but that's what the gain switch is for. At high, the range is about perfect for the HD600.

Yeah you too Mr. $10-shitphones-are-the-best

>You clearly think it sounds better, tell me why f.am.
He's retarded, don't listen to him.

Anyone who claims differences between amps which have flat FR, low distortion/noise/output impedance is retarded.

Yeah, all headphone outs sound the same. And amps and dacs are a meme.

They are definitely overmemed to death but they are the most natural sounding out of bunch while not being fatiguing at all. Look at HD700, it has bass, more treble and so on but not many people liked it.

Surely, you can EQ anything into great sound. There's no need to buy HD600 memes.

Thanks info
The SHP9500 seem to be end of life or something

They're only budget headphones. Nice budget headphones, but budget headphones nonetheless.

Thanks for the reply, I love my fulla 2 but the schitt stack and schitt brand in general has peaked my interest. I'm not sure If i'll upgrade anytime soon bit when I do i'll look at the stack etc. Cheers m8.

Them FaithfulFucks are the endgame, you frivolous oaf.

Never claimed them to be. Only budget headphones. :)

Just keep in mind fulla2 dac line-out (the dac-only one, unaffected by volume) should suffice if all you need is the extra power.

The modi2 isn't going to sound any better. DACs aren't that hard to get right.

I got mine anyway because I find the spdif optical/coax of the uber version convenient vs messing with usb. Most motherboards have spdif outputs or at least headers in the board. Brackets are cheap on aliexpress. Also game consoles and other devices do optical out.

"Overhyped"? They're just popular, and have been around for many years. A lot of people own them, especially since along with the 650, they're still one of the best models of headphones on the market.

:^)

Yes, overhyped. There's a difference between saying it's a good choice at the price point and saying it beats the sennheiser hd800.

;^)

I'm impressed you lasted as long as you did. Brain damage general.

^_^

So you're telling me one of the modi god knows whatever it's called will improve my fulla 2? and my fulla 2 will work as a dac only?

I'm slightly drunk, pls respond

Who said they were? Either way, even if they were only approaching the quality of the HD800, it would still make them a good choice. There's just more people that own them, more people that post about them, more opportunities for you to be triggered by somebody saying something dumb.

~_^

>slightly drunk
Right.

Fulla2 + Magni2 + HD600 is a nice combo.

People say retarded shit about them all the time, which is why I'm guessing other people shit all over them.

You seem to think there must be a difference between the two sides. People are always flinging shit at each other here.

That's basically what I was saying.

>people overhype sennheisers
>other people get irritated and shit talk sennheisers

Anal Technica
Veil/Snapheisers
TrustyFails
Beyers Remorse
Shiit

You have 20 minutes to suggest me every single good headphones set for under 25$.

GO

hSSSsssss

>good
>under $25
Pick one.

That's one way to put it. But it's not necessarily the same person or people talking about it each thread, they're just often mentioned.

There was one Beyerdynamic loving guy just the other day that complained how the HD 650s are "expensive af". Some people just can't justify to themselves paying ~$300+ for headphones.

read.gov/aesop/005.html

>There are many who pretend to despise and belittle that which is beyond their reach.

How about I suggest you headphones that should cost under $25 instead.
>Ulrasone Edition 10
>AKG K240
>Sennheiser Amperior
>Koss PortaPro
>Grado PS1000
>HiFiMAN HE400S
>Audeze LCD-XC
>Stax SR-1
>Philips Fidelio L1
>Beyerdynamic T90

Hope it helps! :-)

Well played!

Sometimes it feels like I'm always talking to the same person.
Complaining the 650s are expensive is a retarded thing to do though. I do believe them and the 600 should be priced identically though. However, I doubt most of the people shitting on them cannot afford them. Good beyers and AKGs are $200, as is the 6XX. They're all in the same general price range.

>Unironically using the "The Fox and the Grapes"
I get what you're saying, but why even include the story?

thing I love about anime is how pretty it is even though life itself is not too pretty

it's a relic of childhood for adults to lose themselves in

What did he mean by this?

nice meme!
well memed friendo!

Reality just sucks. Society's made of people who have given up.

What's so bad about Dr Beats Dr Dre? for just 12.50$?

Money burned which could have gone into getting some HD600.

>I doubt most of the people shitting on them cannot afford them

Really? I see people around here often asking for comparisons between them and cheaper headphones such as the Fidelio X2s and K7XX. Or about how they might need to spend more and buy something else along with it, since they might require an amp, which they don't know anything about or why they would ever need one. They seem to dread the thought of it. They're so reluctant, it's funny.

It's just the context of that bit of wisdom I was quoting. It, along with "The Fox Without a Tail" that I posted earlier should probably be required reading for people that post on here.

>The Fox Without a Tail
The Fool Without an Amp?

Well I'm getting a clone, is there going to be any huge problem with the quality?

I doubt the people asking for advice are the ones actively shitting on headphones, user.

Dude you payed $12.50 what do you expect. It's gonna sound abysmally bad and build quality will be worse than the already rubbish build of the real beats.

You got chinked.

Well it was just an example, but you don't think someone that owns some cheaper headphones such as Beyerdynamics would? Maybe some lower impedance ones that they didn't need to worry about buying an amp for?

No, not really. And they're only marginally cheaper. HD6XXs are in the same price range.
Only the 250/600 ohm beyers are worth anything, and those require amping too. I think this whole poorfag nonsense is your own bias coming into play.

>That bass roll-off
>That driver matching

Implying Sony's SHP aren't good.