/spg/ - Smartphone General - April 1st edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ hands-on
anandtech.com/show/11225/samsung-galaxy-s8-hands-on

Xiaomi Mi 6 leaked photos appear, it looks beautiful!
gizchina.com/2017/03/31/xiaomi-mi-6-leaked-photos-appear-looks-beautiful/

The Verge: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look!
[YouTube] Samsung Galaxy S8 first look! (embed)

Samsung Galaxy S8 Hands On: The Infinity Phone
[YouTube] Samsung Galaxy S8 Hands On: The Infinity Phone (embed)

Samsung Galaxy S8 (with Exynos 8895) benchmarked
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8_with_exynos_8895_benchmarked-news-24283.php

Why didn’t Samsung upgrade the main camera on the S8?
theverge.com/2017/3/30/15121380/samsung-galaxy-s8-camera-specs-megapixels

Sapphire Blue Moto G5 goes on sale in UK
gsmarena.com/sapphire_blue_moto_g5_goes_on_sale_in_uk-news-24306.php

Brace yourselves for April 1st 'tech news'
xda-developers.com/oneplus-announces-highly-limited-dash-energy-drink-coming-this-april-1st/

old

Other urls found in this thread:

indiegogo.com/projects/keyboard-mod-a-physical-keyboard-for-the-moto-z#/
youtu.be/Lm0QkWqMqHQ
webhallen.com/se-sv/mobilt/kampanjer/galaxy_s8_hose/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Guys, HTC 10 or S7? Audio vs camera?

>still on my iPhone 4 that I bought brand new when it first came out
>just preordered an S8
What am I in for?

>TFW /spg/ doesn't own the best smartphone ever made

shit no bezels meme and a horrible easy to break meme curve display

honestly, anything bigger than 4 inches is already overkill, you're gonna miss out of the 4s for having the perfect size of display, also the bezels made typing easy without my fingers accidentally squishing onto it

have fun with you're shit dimensions and meme display

>4s
No user. 4.

Is it really though? I've heard battery life was shit on it

Do tablet questions also belong in this thread?

Newfag here. Sorry.

no

fuck off

Finally! (Moto G4)

Took the Chinks a while...

>Question:
Why are manlets so vocal about having tiny hands?

S7 is overall the better phone. I'd say HTC has the nicer android skin though

Apple
>Hey guys, this is the iPhone. We have established that 3.5 inches is the ideal screen size.
>just kidding, what you want is 5.5 inch phone without a headphone jack.

I'm a happy Oneplus 3 owner, but I agree with those manlets that it is unacceptable that there is not a single phone with top tier specs under 5". I had a Moto G first gen before and it's comfy as hell.

I got tired of waiting for updates and installed Lineage OS with gapps.

Works flawlessly on my moto g4 plus

Looking for a new android phone, currently running an LG G3

Kicker is, I want something with a physical keyboard. Is the KeyOne a dead horse? Are there any other competitive devices that offer physical keyboards?

Can I delete the gapps folder from the rom's zip?
Will it install without issues?

Make this happen
indiegogo.com/projects/keyboard-mod-a-physical-keyboard-for-the-moto-z#/

>crowdfunding a modular phone accessory
What the fuck do you take me for?

Hey ricer fags, is there a way to change the amount my wallpaper scrolls when switching between home screens. I'm using Nova but I can't find an option for that

You could probably do something like this with KLWP. Those riced homescreens that completely change the image for each screen? That's how it's done.

I don't have the patience for it but if you split a single wide image into many images and use each one individually it could work.

Let me try again in the new thread

>The Verge: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look!
>[YouTube] Samsung Galaxy S8 first look! (embed)
>
>Samsung Galaxy S8 Hands On: The Infinity Phone
>[YouTube] Samsung Galaxy S8 Hands On: The Infinity Phone (embed)
> (embed)
> (embed)
> (embed)
Idiot.

Greenify. Enable aggressive doze, doze on the go, and then enable greenify for most of your apps. Don't enable it for messaging apps, your launcher, or your music player. Should help a lot.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I'm not a manlet asshole

I'm 5'6" which is pretty average

are you in the US?
because the average is 5'10''

>are you in the US? because the average is 5'10''
t.amerimanlet
>The average height of male slaves and convicts in North America was 171 cm (5 ft 7 in)

>male slaves and convicts

Yes, which is preciesely what you are nigger.

well that's the average, i'm 6 ft personally
>that second quote
what did he mean by this

comer at me

I would have bought the Huawei P10 if there was a method to root the device.

Why would it be a dead horse? It got delayed but it's not dead. Blackberry is going with a design that it has used for a long time. Honestly, it would be way better if it use BB OS though.

Got opo 3t midnight black. Hope its good

It's a nice phone t. OPT3 owner. Could be a tad smaller though but maybe you have larger hands than me

youtu.be/Lm0QkWqMqHQ
Ayy technigger coming in nice and spicy.

HTC 10 much better quality

So I'm replacing my S5, I'm thinking LG v20. Thoughts?

How do you block your ads?
I want something lightweight that doesnt require root.
dns66 doesnt fully work theres still some ads in apps

redditard

>Have Blackberry Priv
>Last Android security patch: March 2017
>Girlfriend has a Galaxy S6
>Last security patch: November 2016
>mfw a dying company that has left the hardware business has a better commitment to updates for a phone that sold a few hundred thousand units than the largest smartphone manufacturer that pushed millions upon millions of S6s

Blackberry was the greatest thing that ever happened to Android. They are the ONLY company that is doing something aove and beyond the standard black slab, they don't bloat their shit up with useless garbage, the stuff is well made and they commit themselves to updates and bugfixes. Only issue is they are expensive. Thankfully, even though they are not necessarily designing the hardware anymore, their software will continue to live on. The KeyOne will be good, I'm sure.

Best chink phone under $200 that works in the us

Samsung is a shit company
When I sold phones, I asked Samsung reps about issues with charging ports and updates and she said "We're in the business of making money"
That's all I needed to hear to never recommend any of their fucking phones

You're in denial you're a manlet. I say this from one manlet to another just accept your manletiness. They're are many advantages to the manletiness lifestyle. Unfortunately small phones with modern specs are not one of them.

G5+ Prime edition

What's a good medium sized phone for under £250?

G5+

If that phone came in a 5 inch variant I would buy it immediately. They're losing out on a really big manlet market. Chikas too if they made a champagne gold in a 5in variant. It would sell damn good.

For phone I use Adaway and Brave browser.
For my mac, I have AdGuard along with uBlock running on Safari.

G5+, got mine yesterday and it is a fucking steal for the price. don't fall for the flagship meme

5c owner here
Do I get the s8 when it comes out or an iphone 7 now so I can shit out up to 12 payments on the iphone upgrade program to get the next iphone? I'm assuming it'll crush the s8

Never tried android before but the iphone 7 looks fucking ancient right now

Tell me more about the Moto G5+. Any glaring hardware issues that would make me consider a Moto G4 instead?

Also, is it Lineage-friendly, and/or is it possible to remove the Amazon ads from the prime version?

Only thing I can think of is that the camera in low light isn't as good as the flagships are in that regard. Missing USB-C/NFC if you care about those things. Thats all I can think of. I'm just using stock but I'd imagine flashing this wouldn't be hard once the devs get on top of it.

>and/or is it possible to remove the Amazon ads from the prime version?
I don't know about the g5, but I got the prime g4 and easily removed the ads with a flash. I figured it would be the same with the new one.
I just bought the g5 and should be here tomorrow, and I can't wait.

USA
Walmart T-Mobile

Mainly looking for battery life and decent camera. I don't play games on my phone much and the most resource intensive task I do is probably streaming video

I'd prefer something I can just order off of Amazon (mostly quick, cheap shipping as my phone is quickly dying on me)
I'm looking at the sub $200 price range

I've seen a lot of praise for the Moto g4/5 and the plus versions, as well as the honor 6x. Would those be appropriate choices?

ye just get one of those.

It has an f1.7 aperture camera, it'll do better in low light compared to a ton of other budget devices

true, i think it might have something to do with the moto implementation of the software or something. haven't experimented with it myself, im not a big camera guy

Actually the stock camera app is Google Photos, I wish Motorola had their own on house design

Are we allowed to talk about tablets here? Looking for a cheap waterproof tablet that isn't some 2 pound monstrosity.

Pic is what I want but costs too much. Before you tell me to use a pouch, I've already tried.

>have a Windows 8.1 phone
>can't change M$ account used on the phone without a hard reset
Truly a meme OS

g6 or s8

just path off the s8 monthly thru your carrier

A friend of mine worked for Samsung Canada's customer service division. His experiences there convinced me never to buy one of their phones. Basically, he was instructed by managers to blame problems on the customer even when it was clearly a defect with the phone, and try and hand out as few warranty repairs as possible... even when they were obligated to do so. They even had internal training sessions that taught employees techniques for getting the company to avoid warranty repairs. OFFICIAL FUCKING INTERNAL POLICY was to blameshift whenever possible. After working there a year working there they offered him a phone "at cost" and he still turned it down based on his experiences, and went out and bought a Moto G instead (this was around 2014). After another 6 months he quit, couldn't sleep at night thinking about all the honest consumers he screwed.

I don't know why people praise and buy Samsung's gookshit.

How's the LG G5 durability? It's got quite the price cut here and the whole G6 deal doesn't look good (Europe..)

what's the general consensus on the Moto G5?
Seems like a good mid range to me, it has decent battery + the fingerprint sensor, and isnt another huge ass 6" phone.

I'm need for a new one, now that my 2014 X has died on me.

LeEco Le Max 2
>Under $200
>4GB ram, 64GB storage
>1440p display
>Snapdragon 820
>USB Type C
>Official LineageOS build
>Fully compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile bands

i like it alot, performs really well so far for me.

Daily reminder that cell phones and Wi-Fi cause cancer and give you brain damage.

fuck off. We already know that. You posted yesterday. You said you had more important things to do so go do them.

>5.7" display

Jesus Christ why don't companies make 5.2 or lower anymore..

>waterproof tablet
Why?

lol, no it doesn't

The Moto G5 is 5".

Did you get a full sleep after that 38 hours you were awake?

I already have and have decided to allocate more time to this.

Yes it does.

>Brain damage
You seem to be talking from experience

Children?

Is there a better music player for android than Poweramp?

Want something to use by the pool. Also plan to do some traveling to wet areas with it so it doesn't hurt to have. I don't need IP68 like the Z4 has though which is overkill. IP57 is enough.

~8 hours. It was okay.

Is the Nexus 6 still a good daily driver? Not a heavy user and want a bigger screen. Can cop one for 200$ off AliExpress

Day 2 of my Xiamomeme redmeme notememe 4 primeme it's seriously good, the display is beautiful and MiUI8 is [spoilers]good[/spoilers]

The Samsung Galaxy S8 Hose edition is on sale today.

It's got a built-in fire hose in case it catches fire.

Should I buy one?

details here
webhallen.com/se-sv/mobilt/kampanjer/galaxy_s8_hose/

I don't know.

Get a Mi Max then

SD625 version?

>Z4 Tablet costs too much
Get the Z3 tablet then

The 10 core helio meme version. It's fast enough, no lag doing browsing/multitasking which is all I need. I tried out a few 3d games like Vain Glory and it's not bad at that either.

Buts its also the moto g.

The Z3 is a 8inch so it's a little different. So next option would be the Z2 really. Not opposed to it but I was just hoping there would be other options for a chinkpad or something newer.

Thanks, thiis was a pretty simple solution. I just needed to choose the background image and it scrolls to the far edges by default

So...?
You want flagship hardware in it too?

Tell us more about your ZTE Axon 7. Much more. I'm serious. I have been interested in this phone for quite some time because of the supposedly better audio on it and the dual speakers.

How's the audio from the audio jack, and how does it compare to a) other phones b) high-end DACs c) the audio jack on an average hifi stereo / receiver?

And how are all the other aspects of this phone, like battery life, performance, cameras etc?

>Why are manlets so vocal about having tiny hands?

6'4" master race checking in to tell you that there are reasons other to want a smaller phone. I absolutely love my Doogee Y6 MAX 6.5" phone, it's a totally great tablet. It really is. However I do grab the cheap old Huawei Y360 on my way out the door much more often than the Y6. The Huawei is 4" therefore it fits into even the smallest of pockets. It's not heavy and it doesn't take up much space. It is suitable for anything beyond music and phone calls? No, obviously not, 4" is too small to type on with an on-screen keyboard and it's too small for general web browsing and shitposting.. but it sure is easier to drag that 4" along than it is to bring the 6.5". That one requires a bag or a man-purse or something like that.

> 5'6"
> "not a manlet"
Who are you trying to kid, exactly? And don't worry about it, you can always make up for it by working out and/or getting/having a good carrier and/or financial wealth.

Ordered mine yesterday can't wait for it to get here

just ordered an iPhone 7. fuckin fell for the meme

You mean the cell phone meme. Where you render yourself sterile and brain damaged to do what everyone else is doing and have some neat little toy to play with.

>been a flagshipfag all my life
>keep buying phones that will "last 3 years"
>always under deliver with shit battery life, shit build quality, failing parts
>always end up replacing them after a year and a half to two years, and by that time they are unsupported and never updated
>Nokia 6 comes along, practically everything I could want, does not cost an outrageous amount of money
>has all the features you could ever need if you're not gayman on your phone
>committed to monthly security updates
>low power processor so good battery life
>emphasis on function over form, repairability

Cannot wait for this thing to come to North America. I can finally get off the $700 phone treadmill.