Discuss.

best ubuntu flavor

what are the main reasons to get it over ubuntu

don't have it installed myself but my guesses are

- speed
- more customisation
- less botnet

*blocks your path*

Using it on my seedbox because it was the only linux distro offered. I can't tell the difference from ubuntu besides cosmetic and the programs that come preinstalled.

+1 for MATE

>*buntu
Disgusting

Last time i used it, there was screen tearing. Is that still a thing?

tried ubuntu for two weeks, ubuntu mate for a month, and stuck with xubuntu because it just werks

yes. install compton

yes

Comfy, like Lubuntu.

seconded. I found MATE to be way comfier and better looking

I fail to see how mate and xfce are different. Maybe you can explain.

Just upgraded to xubuntu 16.04, loving it. Been using xubuntu since 8.04, no issues just works out of the box

Outside of Thunar randomly crashing when renaming files, it's the best light *buntu distro out there.

Into the garbage it goes. Mate is just a poor man's Xfce

lighter, faster, more customizable, better looking out of the box.

Prolly the best obongo flavor alongside MATE

Stop that

but he's right

The mouse is cute

xfce is too basic for my taste

I miss gestures and window alignment and whatnot

What were you saying? This isn't exclusive to Mint MATE btw.

Anyone try the Ubuntu phones?

Manjaro have better configuration and addons don't screw up the panel.
Their "software center" or what is extremely slow. Deleted that useless shit after install.

What's the point of XFCE when Cinnamon exists?

except standby does not work out of the box, hotkeys are utter garbage and some more flaws you have to configure before you can actually start working

Is Xfce on GTK3 yet? No? What a shock.

Linux Lite is better.

It's great but I wish they ported it wayland

works for me

I like it, nice and simple without being a hardware hog with minimal number of programs, still I prefer KDE Neon's approach regarding minimal preinstalled programs without going ARCH tier and taking forever to setup.

The default desktop environment is not that great though, ended up tweaking it a bit to my liking by installing i3 while retaining some of XFCE's stuff like the panels and it is almost perfect.

Still having issues with the compositor acting up, especially when playing videos in MPV fullscreen. Gets jumpy with randomn shit going back and forth such as the frames when pausing or the clock when it advances or highlighted text. Issue disappears when I exit fulscreen.

Too much window/scrolling judder and tearing as well, even if I install compton.

Going to play Total War: Warhammer on it right nao.

>Still having issues with the compositor acting up
diregard, don't even have a compositor enabled xfwm4 is disabled and compton is not installed to prevent conflict with i3. That problem must be Xorg or MPV related.

my only problem with xfce is no inbuilt quicklauncher.

Did you really try mate?

In mate you have tlp and all indicator applets preinstalled that are much better than xfce one.

In mate compton is configured and stop tear screen.

What do you mean with window alignment?

>no high dpi scaling
trash

more like xfeces is poor man's MATE

Yeah I tried, it's better than gnome or unity, but still not quite as good as xfce

>being this triggered

>this isn't exclusive to mint mate

uh..yes it is?

There needs to be a Wayland version of Xfce. The only thing stopping me from using Xubuntu (or Xfce in general) is that Xfce forces me to choose between horrible screen tearing and a shitty resource-draining compositor.

Lubuntu is better.

Still waiting for AMDGPU-PRO support for hd 7950. 15.04 is getting old.

iz shit as the rest ot *ntus

I'm sorry sir, but Xubuntu is a better lightweight and stable alternative. Even though I like Cinnamon most, but Xubuntu would be my second choice and then comes Ubuntu MATE so you are generally one of the better OSs/DEs.

>Mint Cinnamon>Xubuntu>Ubuntu MATE

>main reasons to get it over ubuntu
None, because it's just Ubuntu with other default installed packages. Perhaps it saves a bit of installation time compared to just installing Ubuntu and then installing the XFCE desktop (optionally removing other desktops and packages).

I actually don't like MATE, though I do see it's appeal. And I did like GNOME2 even though it was a bit crippled compared to GNOME.

I realize this sounds a bit silly but I honestly think that GNOME1 was the best GNOME version and KDE3 was the best KDE version.

You mean like what you get if you press alt+f2?

mate it shit.. buggy, lacks a lot of features
gnome

gnome2 was my ideal env. everything I could ever ask for.. why those fuckers crippled it

one is gnome

You can get amdgpu for older cards by compiling a kernel with proper flags, or maybe it was a patch, I don't remember. Read linux-cik

who has seen this -- isn't a problem isn't an issue
something the microshitters keep saying happens
like "linux is slow" .... has anyone seen the poor state of windows, post 7? They're out of mobile and their existing platform has deteriorated -- nobody even knows what it is supposed to look like anymore

more lies .. mate is "buggy" .. used it for > a year
haven't seen one single issue

idiot

"is buggy"

you seen the state of windows now?

not talking about windows..
been using cinnamon of 2+ years and decided to try mate cuz cinnamon is not very compatible with compiz and I needed compiz for smtn.. nvm
that fucker always misplaced my panels, icons, sys tray.. everything.. even the panels flickerd..
so you can shove that "more lies" of your somewhere..

Our school used Kubuntu

Agreed

fpbp