/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html
iwf1.com/review-xfce-4-13-desktop-environment-a-noticeable-difference-from-its-predecessor/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw can't make a decision for a distro
too many choices reeeeeee

forget about the memes and just install Mint or Ubuntu

Is there a way to set an environment variable for an application being launched in a desktop entry similar to how you'd set one just for the launched application in a terminal.

Eg. turning:
$ SOMEVAR=value application

in to:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Some App
Environment=SOMEVAR:value
Exec=application

According to:
specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-latest.html

I can't find it.

I don't know for a specific app, but if you want you can have a variable in the environment for everything.

Or create a shell script:
#!/bin/sh -e

export SOMEVAR=value
exec someapp

Distro is only the first choice, after that there will come lots and lots of more choices.
Either learn how to not be an undecisive beta faggot or give up.

Yeah that's where I looked and couldn't find it and was wondering if I was just retarded. Seems like a weird thing to not have support for.

Guess I'll just do a shell script for it and launch the script with the desktop entry.

Is LXQt legit for a netbook? What distro is best for it?

I have issues with KDE, though it normally is pretty good, when I am running a bitcoin node or something the window usually is not smooth. Didn't happen in gnome. What do? Does KDE take a bigger performance hit? I only have a intel g2X series

Gentoo with tty1.

Xfce 4.13 has addressed the screen tearing issue

>addressed the screen tearing issue
So, what did they say? Won't fix?

Look it up

I'm too lazy for that

iwf1.com/review-xfce-4-13-desktop-environment-a-noticeable-difference-from-its-predecessor/

> Screen Tearing fixed on Gentoo system, mainly for users of Nvidia cards

I'm confused, KDE or xfce?
I don't really use the gui that much but if someone else uses my computer, which is more new user friendly?

Why do you people think that's an environment issue and not a hardware issue? Intel users with the TearFree option don't have the problem. Neither do Nvidia users with the proprietary drivers using that one option. Everyone else could use a standalone compositor (not the one that comes with xfwm) and fix it.

If you can fix it by using different software, a hardware issue seems pretty unlikely

Both are identical in terms of how intuitive they are- simple. KDE looks a bit better with no modification imo but they can be made to look the same. I prefer xfce because it doesn't use qt

What's wrong with Qt?

>systemd

Everything.

I like gtk because it has tons of great looking themes and is easy to customise

What software is exclusive to GNU/Linux that doesn't have an equal equivalent on windows and Mac?

xterm
i3
ocaml

hjkl

ubuntu gnome

even gnome is legit for a notebook if you turn off the animations
i dont think lxqt is useable enough yet, unless you want to use it to contribute to developement by reporting bugs etc

gentoo

Should i install ubuntu and just ignore the memes

>ocaml
What?

>backed by a business concerned about profit before usability (Canonical)
>Canonical has done shady stuff in the past ie Amazon search. Amazon garbage is still preinstalled.
>No reason to use Ubuntu instead of mint or preferably Debian
No you shouldn't

Please help me pick a distro, I'm new to GNU Linux.
From most to least important:
>pretty screenfetch logo
>Makes me look cool online and irl
>large repos
>minimal
>looks nice
>easy to install
>muh freedumbs

mint is ubuntu without the bullshit.

Doesn't exist, stay at Windows

my Nvidia drivers don't work on Debin

>make one partition with lvms
>make one home lvm
>install unlimited amount of distros with same home and pick your favourite

Try to use OCaml on Windows. That's not a trivial task.

*Debian

I did. Can't remember any problems.

Try yo use Graphics, or to link to Unix.

I'd rather not even touch it anymore.
Still don't know what's your point supposed to be.

So what is your language of choice now?

So, I was trying to install Debian, and it gives me some kind of horseshit about Windows 10 being in some kind of drive format or whatever the fuck, and I'd have to reformat the whole drive and ruin Windows to install it.

Is this something that normally happens to people, or did I make some kind of hideous mistake when installing Windows 10?

(Also, I was using the small version of Debian because I don't have DVD-roms currently, because I'm a fucking disgrace to the universe..)

I have a japanese JIS keyboard and I want to make a use of the kana, half sizing... keys.

How can I remap them in order to emulate the behaviour of the conventional japanese IME?

I'll take anything with C-style syntax over ML

OK, stick to them and doin't use OCaml.

is perl programming or scripting?
i see different places calling it scripting and other calling it programming

>it gives me some kind of horseshit about Windows 10 being in some kind of drive format or whatever the fuck,
>and I'd have to reformat the whole drive and ruin Windows to install it.

Have you created a partition for debian?

Scripting is programming.

Can someone tell me which DEs/WMs support middle-click pushing windows behind each other?

I'd need you to explain that to me because I'm stupid.

when you installed windows, did you install it to the entirety of the disk?
if so, you must reduce the size of the windows partition so debian can have space to install to.

Pffffffttttt! If you only knew!

>you create a partition (look at youtube)
>you put the .iso of the new system on a usb drive and you make is bootable. (DiskImager, tutos are on youtube)
>you restart the pc withe usb plugged in and you boot on it, so it boots on the .iso
>you do the install stuff and select the partitiion you've created during the install
>prepare some coffe

This is going to sound strange, but inserting any kind of thumb drive from any make or model causes a bluescreen of death for me. I cannot put anything on them.

Prolly complaining about UEFI. It's a pain in the ass.

Yes, UEFI.
This is my problem.
Someone help.

if you installed Win10 in uefi mode, just boot the installer in uefi too?

Can you burn it on a cd?

I already have, but it was giving me UEFI horseshit when I booted from it and installed normally.

>you can make one piece of proprietary Linux software magically become gpl
what would it be? Nothing huge like windows.

What is the problem?
At first make windows shutdown completely in power options (in windows): fast launch is hibernation mode so unclick it, it will help for a lot of things (ntfs permissions for exemple).
Can you take a picture?

gpl is cancer

>proprietary Linux software
What's that supposed to be?

amd/nvidia gpu drivers.

muh games finally on linux.

(((You)))
Let's pretend this isn't bait: why do you think that? It's a very good license. Open source. Anyone who forks it has to contribute the change back to you, so you can't get screwed like Apple did to freebsd. Any derivatives have to also be GPL, preventing companies from stealing your hard work. The only problem is it's difficult to monetise gpl software, but it's an amazing license, and copyleft is genius.

>difficult to monetise

that's a fucking big problem.

Anyone use Parabola here? How does it compare to plain Arch with a deblobbed kernel? I would just use Arch if there was a coherent policy on free software/a dedicated nonfree repo.

How exactly has GNU/Linux suffered from being not monetised?

been using x11vnc on virtual screen created by xrandr and vnc is slow and the screen is flickering.. it's worst when I put the pointer on to the panel of some of the 2 physical monitors.. any ideas? mint18.1+cinnamon

nobody cares about GNU/FSF except a certain scab eating autist.

Debian or Fedora for a newbie? Ubuntu is shit.

fedora is test-distro, it's not made to be stable.. Debian is the complete opposite, but not very pretty out-of-the-box

^ + go mint

Debian. If something fucks up, there are terabytes of forums, since ubuntu guides almost always work in it.

Newbuntu. Don't try to be hipster

So Debian is more stable? Can I still install propreitary drivers without a hassle?

Market share wouldn't magically go up if you were charged a fee to use Linux, you retard. Neither would it becoming proprietary. If normies weren't too dumb for Linux it would be at least 10%.

>hipster
debian > *untu

Anyone managed to figure out how to rebind an Nvidia GPU back to host without restarting the Host OS using Xorg?

Can't wait for Wayland to mature so I can hot swap my GPU with minimal hassle.

>Thinks that avoiding a beginner's mistake is being a "hipster"

That's actually the problem why free software is stuck. We could have much more free software and distros with free drivers if people wouldn't accept proprietary software in their systems like 15 years ago and would care more about ideals and ethics.

Today people come into this community and leech the practical benefit free software gives, but they do nothing to defend it. That's sad.

Avoiding a distro just because you've read somewhere on the internet that it's shit is as hipster as it gets.

Except, you know, in this case, it's actually shit.

You may as well consider taking any advice to be pretentious. As a matter of fact, right now, you're looking like a hipster for believing yourself to be a rugged, free-thinking individual that isn't a slave to the meme and is above the general consensus online.

Arch is the best!

best Sup Forums meme, confirmed

Pretty sure the general consensus online would be to start with Ubuntu.

Just go with Xubuntu / Lubuntu / Ubuntu MATE.

The general consensus of the entire online community is a bit hard to detect, though. You're drowning in old guides meant for normies that just want to watch Netflix.

Sup Forums mostly gets its consensus from virtue signals, but in the case of Ubuntu, I really would say its for babbys who watch 2 Richard Stallman lectures, get hyped for the freedumbs, and then go for Ubuntu because they think Unity looks hip (but at this point, they don't even know the difference between a DE and a distro.)

Then, across the aisle, you have people that make fun of Arch users for being arrogant nerds, when they just complained about other distros being too simple to use. And then in the same breath recommend Gentoo.

What are the limitations of running Photoshop on Linux with Play on Linux versus running it on Windows?

It's not that hard to decide.

Ask these 2 questions.
What is your goal of what you want to do with your computer?
How stable do I want it to be vs how up-to-date but maintenance-intensive?

If you can answer these two questions, the right distro for your needs should become apparent.

>alsa
>2017
>still no way to change output on the fly
linux sucks

If Linux sucks, improve it, develop your own offshoot. That's the whole fucking idea behind it. If you have complaints, crack your knuckles and fix the problem, then share the solution.

If you do not wish to participate in that enterprise, then stop bothering us with your wanking.

blame Linus Tovalds

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>change output on the fly
What's that even supposed to mean?

But complaining and bothering IS participating.

Install pulse your fucking retard.