Programming Languages

What programming languages worth learning from the best productivity point of view? I do C# and Java as a Job. I really like C#, but right now you can't really use it as a swiss knife like Java, but Java is so bloated it hurts sometimes, also you need to code too much for simple things. What is certain that I will not learn any loosely typed languages like Python and won't use JavaScript on anything other than client side web development.

In the last few weeks I looked at some functional languages, which I really can associate with. However I bet if I start using Clojure, after a short time I would just end up using lots of the Java libraries I hate so much (just from Clojure, so what is the point).

Thought about Scala too, but merging the OOP design with functional this way don't sounds too promising, also I read lot's of Scala programmers moved to Python, so.

What are your thoughts on this? What is the best balance between better productivity/faster coding and basically the ultimate swiss knife, C (but slow as hell coding)

Other urls found in this thread:

cs.cmu.edu/~rwh/pfpl.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I guess you could take a look at Go or Rust.

How mature is Go?

>best productivity point of view
Python.

>I will not learn any loosely typed languages like Python
Okay then.

I don't really see, why should I even bother with python. Anything I can do with it, can do with JavaScript too, the thing is that I just don't want to use these slow languages.

Where are Matlab-Chan and Fortran-Chan ?

> Matlab
He was raped and thrown in the dumpster

Common Lisp

C++17 or Rust for hipster

> the thing is that I just don't want to use these slow languages.
Python programmer will be done long before you

And the code will be duck-typed trash

Depends entirely on what you want to do.

Programming languages are a means to an end.

> Wolfram Language
Fuck off with your propietrary shit language, you stupid fucking nigger with down syndrom

I am not OP but I'm a complete stranger to programming. I usually "reverse engineer" things but I can't go from scratch, you see where I'm coming?

I would like to create a bot for my Discord channel. People have been asking for that and I wanted a "private" bot, because I'm not entirely sure that I want some ass reading our channels with their bot.

Unless someone here is familiar with these and can recommend me a few, I'd rather build one but I have no idea which language to pick.

Mathematica is good.
Why ? I liked her (him?)

Equivalent of a carpenter getting upset over a certain type of hammer.

> need to code too much for simple things

Go learn Scratch

Fuck off with your freetard autism and learn to use the best tool for the job.

do you not know about type hints and mypy?

>mfw I just wanted to search for roots of a transcendental equation and Mathematica took 5 hours to spit out a string of symbolic expression involving integrals and radicals that is too large to show

Fairly. It's not going away anytime soon by virtue of being a Google thing and used internally by them, and quite a few companies have taken to writing their CLI apps in it.

However, personally, I think the tooling fucking sucks, and the language itself is bureaucratic to the point I feel like I should just be writing Java.

What did Maple spit out?

Runtime error xddd

>Swiss Army Knife
Common Lisp or Guile, you can do anything with those two by yourself with a min amount of code. See book Practical Common Lisp or look at guile website

Go is probably the easiest language if by productivity you mean "know nothing and have a working web server up within minutes" as you can learn the entire language and libraries in a day.

>How do I decide the best language for X project
You read and understand the foundations of programming languages so you can make an educated opinion instead of bikeshedding cs.cmu.edu/~rwh/pfpl.html

R cute

Tuturu can't code user