GPD Win

Does anyone have one of these?
I'm curious, but these kind of devices usually are never as good as you'd like.
Wouldn't mind it for playing some less resource intensive PC games on the go and for emulation.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vtiOAQQtghk
youtube.com/watch?v=2Fy-bDhW_Ok
youtube.com/watch?v=-sX-g2r_VNA
cnet.com/products/hp-mini-311-series/review/
youtube.com/watch?v=HWJ75EvAxs0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it's great for hackintosh

nice shoop dodongo

idk what your talking about

What's the battery life on these things?

Anything less than 4 hours, I'm not interested.

Those specs are wrong for the GPD Win.

your pic is faaaaaaaaaaaake

6-8 for web browsing
2 for gaming

4 hours tops with fans off.
Shit gets way too hot, 70~°C with fans off.

>these kind of devices usually are never as good as you'd like
What are you expecting from it?

I'm getting around 3 hours for gaming PC titles, 2 1/2 hours if it's something heavier like Crysis 2.
The most I have gotten out from GameCube emulation is 5 hours of Super Mario Sunshine.
Around 6 hours for older system emulation, slightly more for web browsing. Those all with screen brightness at max and fan always on.
Over 12 hours for music playback with the screen off, had over 50% battery left though.

I made notes the first time I was testing to see how well the battery holds up.

This. Run it with the fan always on, it will usually be in the mid 60C's in a warm room.

This would be a useless things to do though, even when possible.
macOS is only good on a MBP.

>playing some less resource intensive PC games on the go and for emulation.
That's pretty much what it's made for and it does it well above what I thought it would at first.

I almost treat MacOS as a more comfy linux, nice and easy to install on most desktops

Pretty much a mediocre PC in your pocket

Dosen't really have any compelling pros on non-Apple hardware, specially portable, to use as a OS on any computer.

>Does anyone have one of these?
No. Never even seen one. What is it?

The main pro really is just to have a cheaper Mac, you can get a $150 sandy bridge i5 Dell and be able to dev for iOS, or build a dual xeon build for a third of what Apple wants for the same hardware

True that, if you have use for the macOS only software.

>a gpd win thread that isnt obvious shilling

>inb4 faggots who accuse anyone of shilling because they don't like the product

Welcome to Sup Forums

How comfy is it? I really really want one.

Comfy for what? Video editing? Not very. Shitposting? Quite comfy. Playing games/emulators? Very comfy.

Use something like Throttle stop to adjust the CPU speed manually. If you are just playing old games or don't mind web browsing being a bit sluggish, you can get upwards of 10+ hours of battery.

I have mine set relatively low and a lot of the time it outlives my phone.

You don't need 3rd party programs for that.
Just have a power profile with the max CPU limited.

Shitposting and Emulation is what I want too but also some music production, mainly having a tiny ass comfy machine that can run Ableton.

>Ableton
If you have good eyes and get used to the stick mouse, I guess.
Wouldn't say it would be perfect for it, but I guess if in need it would do the job.

You can adjust more options with third party programs, I did just used Windows built-in thingie at first, but it didn't worked as well as Throttlestop.

I wouldn't recommend it for serious work without peripherals, the keyboard is ok but you don't wanna use it too much. And I don't know much about music production, but if it's anything like video editing and you need precise clicks, you don't really wanna be using the stick mouse for that.

I guess, but I haven't had any problems making me look for an alternative, I want to keep things as simple as possible.

Yeah, but the whole point his question was to be portable.
It's not a machine made for serious work in the first place.
Thumb typing on the keyboard for shitposting is fine and the stick mouse will be enough for games like Diablo or Red Alert, but that's about it.

KEK

>THIS shill thread again
lmao fuck off ching chong

>everything I don't like is shilling hurr
How about you just filter it if you don't like it or do like a normal person and ignore it?

ultraportable autism

does it werk gud? I might so this.

DECEPTION

macOS on the Win? Nope.

Common, could have made better in Photoshop in 3 minutes.

I take it back, even GIMP with 5 minutes can wield better results.

What a pleb you are.

what???

This is a consumer device. Not really meant to be a workstation. Get a good laptop or a desktop. For productivity you can't beat a traditional desktop or a laptop if you're on the go.

Dunno, OSX ran pretty decent on older Atom based Netbooks, someone might figure it out.

youtube.com/watch?v=vtiOAQQtghk

Audio production isn't that resource heavy.
It's obviously something that could be easily done on it, just that the mouse/keyboard interface and small screen would make it a pain.

Those used just Atom CPUs not Atom SoCs, way better driver support also.

I know m8, I have a decent Desktop and a Laptop. It's mainly to fuck around with Ableton on the go and maybe to record samples on the go. Not trying to run any high end VSTs, just some LoFi stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=2Fy-bDhW_Ok

>>that the mouse/keyboard interface and small screen would make it a pain.

exactly. There's a series of computers out there that addresses this issue while still being in a portable form factor. aka a laptop. This device is like the ultimate portable emulator/media/game machine.

This would be awesome to try!

>This device is like the ultimate portable emulator/media/game machine.
It's fan-cooled and has a 2 hour battery. I don't think so.

Just saying that there isn't anything stopping you.
You could do something like just for keks.

It has active cooling, letting you run on the turbo speed for several hours of heavier gaming.
It's a pro not a con.

Do something like GameCube emulation and you can get easily 4-5 hours.
Do do even less like watching a movie, shitpost or play SNES games and you could easily get 6 hours or more with the fan turned off.

It really is the best device for emulation, don't think any other portable can do GameCube/Wii emulation that well.
I really can't criticise it for battery life because mine is holding up great.

Mine arrived Thursday, fucking love it so far but I have no idea how I'll feel once the honeymoon phase is over. It's smaller than I imagined, the fan is louder than I imagined, and the battery lasts longer than I imagined. I've been playing a bunch of games this weekend and it's kind of surreal to see PC games running on a little handheld like this.

>It's smaller than I imagined, the fan is louder than I imagined, and the battery lasts longer than I imagined.
Same here, I really thought it would be a little bigger at first even though I have a old DS and knew it would be around that size.
Fan noise is there but after you even slightly turn up the volume you won't really hear it.

>kind of surreal
I know right? I have been messing with similar things for years and wishing for something like that, but this is just so awesome to hold it in your own hands.

Have fun user!

But how? Is it real?

Kek, no, just a youtube video.

>Fan noise is there but after you even slightly turn up the volume you won't really hear it.
lmao kys

I'll just leave this here.

youtube.com/watch?v=-sX-g2r_VNA

Is this a ylyl thread?

Oh God, I had a Netbook hackintosh.

>that can run Ableton.

I've used Ableton for years, I don't know why you would produce with this device tbqh.

Granted, you can scale the interface so it won't be a eye strain, but it will be a pain to really use it for producing. personally, if anything using Ableton on this would be pretty good for jamming out. For example, have it hooked up to speakers and program drums loops on the drumrack, then play along with a physical instrument like a guitar or piano/synth.

Pic related, hard to believe this was 7 years ago.

>1024x576

Welcome to 2010 and Netbooks

>i5 2500k
>GTX 770
>16GB of RAM
I'd so buy it

Man, I just tested the new Cemu with SM3DW and it's just a straw short of being fully playable.
I actually think they might be able to make it playable on the hardware, just an emulator issue.

No, they did semi-recently run a kickstarter for a seven inch version without a gamepad built in and out of the box GNU/Linux support which looked sleek as fuck, wish I had disposable income for shit like that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they will deliver, it's called the Pocket, already have prototypes for it.
I don't see the point of that though, unless you really need it to fit in your pocket and have a good keyboard.

Oh fuck, I remember buying into the HP Mini 311 meme back in the day on Sup Forums when it was the latest and greatest thing getting shilled. I remember one guy would always post about how he'd got OS X running on his 311 but I was too young and impatient to bother looking into doing it on my own, didn't come into this thread expecting nostalgia.

Yeah, guess people (myself included) are still drawn to the novelty of being able to carry a full x64 pc around in their pocket.

Reminds of the old Sony Vaio P I used to lust after as a teen.

>13" MPBr
>Dualshock 4 controller
>OpenEmu
>6 hours of battery life while gaming (closer to 3 or 4 for 32 bit stuff)
>Access to actual computer functions
>HDMI out for TV stuff
that's what I use now, anyway.The android emulators were all fucking annoying to play on. best part is that everythign works out of the box. Install openemu, plug in the DS4, and gayme.
and it supports 4 player mutliplayer games if you want to actually hang out with people.

I do like the Win, mainly because gaming is the thing I would mostly do with the Pocket also and I can still use it as a normal computer, but people who don't need it for gaming and would benefit for it being slightly bigger, I can see the appeal.

Same here, used my 13" 2012 MBP for it mostly but with a DS3 because the native driver support.
But I do like the idea of a dedicated and smaller gaming/emulation machine more without the hassle of controller more.
Not saying the way you do it is bad, the Win is just a step down from it, mostly in size.

>DS3 because the native driver support.
ds4 works out of the box, too.

I know it did recognize my DS4 too as a generic wireless controller, but some things would not work with it.

Under things I mean some native games.
Also didn't see the point in the DS4 much as you could not use the trackpad of it anyways and the battery lasts way longer on the DS3. So I just stuck to using it.

Kek

Netbooks used to be such cool shit, even with their shit specs.
Specially if you ran Linux or Mac OS on them.

Holy shit. Watch the video.
cnet.com/products/hp-mini-311-series/review/

Time flies.

>battery lasts way longer on the DS3
huh. I've had the opposite experience.
The trackpad and rumble still don't work, though. Not that it matters to me whatwith playing 16-bit games 90% of the time. and the ds4 is much more comfortable to hold for a long time for me.
Though either is better than all the bullshit you need to do to get an xbox controller to work with windows in spite of the fact that they're made by the same fucking company.

The DS4 is overall nicer, I still use it with my desktop PC, only bought it because of that.
InputMapper on Windows has been working great and all the functions work, like trackpad, rumble and light displays battery level.

>i5 2500k
>gtx 770
if the GPD was capable of that at its current price i would buy one for everyone i know

Oh and also, DS3/DS4, best d-pad for retrogaming.

I hope we will have something like that after a few years.

in 2025 maybe

Not that far away anymore actually.
Would be cool.

I just got my gpd win and I love it so much. You won't be editing movies or anything with it but for web browsing, emulation and older (pre-2013) games, it works pretty well. I've already tried Bioshock Infinite, Mirror's edge, Skyrim, etc. It will be awesome for road trips and such. Not bad for a little $300 palm-size pc.

well we'll see how powerful nvidia volta really is
it's supposed to be something like 3x as powerful as maxwell but i'm pretty sure that's a load of horseshit

I'll build something like that for you.
But the battery will only last 30 seconds, but no worries, it will go into nuclear meltdown way before that.

Well said user

But we need them to be x86/64 not ARM, Nvidia will only implement their low power GPUs in ARM chips

>Wouldn't mind it for playing some less resource intensive PC games on the go and for emulation.
That's mostly all I use mine for recreationally.
Other than that it's basically what you'd expect.
Quite good battery life, keyboards a bit fucked for thumb typing because of the strip of keys on the side, but still better than a phone.

Isn't the win a CPU?
If it had a SoC that'd explain why the fan does fuck all for the thermals.

The Win has a Atom SoC, so CPU, GPU, North/Southbridge, I/O controllers, etc, are all on the same die.

>If it had a SoC that'd explain why the fan does fuck all for the thermals.
Fan fan does help with the thermals, you won't be running at turbo clocks continuously without it like a tablet with the same SoC but passive cooling.
Also keeps the air moving inside the case, left side plastic is always cooler to the touch.

Shit, I didn't actually think intel still made atom SoC's.
Wait no shit, I was thinking of PoP. My bad.

They used to be just Atom CPU/GPUs but they stitched to a SoC design later on.
As far as I know, they terminated future development on the Atom recently though and will be continuing on the Core M line.

I only ever notices a couple degree difference, but it's probably just clocking itself up.
Housing never got hot for me in the first place so I wouldn't notice it cooling.

It's managing its clock well depending on the cooling it has, so it will take advantage of the fact that it can dispense the heat faster when the fan is running and run at higher clocks more.

Can't say it gets hot eighter, warm sure, but the left side when the fan is on is noticeably cooler than room temperature.

(me)
Not room temperature, rest of the case's temperature.*
Derp.

Makes sense.

Now I'm looking into it and kinda shitting myself at the sort of cooling this thing has.
I was always skeptical about what the fan did, but fuck me dead this is horrible.
youtube.com/watch?v=HWJ75EvAxs0
Kapton covering the entire heatsink, thermal pads to transfer heat...
At least it'll be easy to go and replace it all myself now.

One thumb will do more work than the other because of the keyboard being slightly to the left. Also I think they could have implemented the L3/R3 buttons better, like pic related.

Yeah, it was a fucking nightmare.
If you have a Revision 2 unit though you don't have to worry about it, the new one already has a cutout in the kapton tape and uses paste instead of a pad.

Any way to tell revison?
I was an earlyish backer on the indeigogo, I'm guessing if I take of the back the datecode should tell me what I have.