What's the fucking point of Linux Mint

Why does this distro even exist? It's just Ubuntu with Cinnamon installed

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/solus-project
github.com/budgie-desktop
github.com/ikeydoherty
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yea it doesn't make much sense to me either. why not just put all your effort into cinnamon?

"elegance"

It's fucking Ubuntu with Cinnamon installed

They do, hence why the distro is just Ubuntu with Cinnamon installed.

Not hard, sometimes it's just what it says on the tin, you dipshits

>t. Mint dev trying to justify his existence

Sad!

>It's just Ubuntu with Cinnamon installed
you forgot the crippled by default update system, the fact that the updates are shitty repackaged versions from upstream and a firefox install with a near-impossible to remove botnet 'search enhancer' plugin

those arent failings, those are features

mint is cool greeb. very cool! though its recommend for beginners

Install Solus.

Why waste time with uninstalling Unity's bloat and ricing when I can have a good desktop out of the box?

For fucks sake kevin. Not again.

What?

So in other words, install Ubuntu with a different DE

this looks nice but where is it's source code ?

What's the fucking point of any other distro than just "Linux"? So you can shill your pretentious fashion statement and look cool?

So in other words, it exists because of reasons.

github.com/solus-project

github.com/budgie-desktop

github.com/ikeydoherty

I like Mint but dislike Ubuntu, so there must be some differences

Does it use Wayland? I'd try it if I don't need to pollute my system with x.org.

It will always exist till there's people who work on it
I personally found some problems in some packages

Yes. Also, there will be a Budgie rewrite called Budgie 11. It is being rewritten in Qt. It will use QtComposite and QtWayland as the default. It will also have blur (you can disable that though). It is also coming out Q2 2017. But it is currently using Wayland on it's current Budgie 10 (written in GTK).

Consider me interested.

Why does Ubuntu even exist? It's just Debian with Unity installed.

You just answered it. Plebs who use Ubuntu likely don't know how to install Cinnamon.

So people can use something that doesn't have a name made up by niggers

Also the owner hates Jews and doesn't want any donations from them

And the Linux mint mate menu is really good, other than that I got nothin

Ubuntu comes with tons of GUI tools, and nonfree stuff, so there isn't much to figure out for a beginner. It definitely serves a purpose.

So what you're saying is that it's just Debian with some specific sofware pre-installed. What a fucking waste of time.

I have Mint on my desktop and Ubuntu on my laptop (I have to for work)

Mint is faster, less prone to error, no updates every fucking day, Unity is SHIT, smoother in every respect

I don't hatred Ubuntu, but it's just bloated and trying to look like OSx

Better name than ubuntu and looks more like windows so it's a better entry point into linux for most windows users. When you try out linux for the first time you are looking every little thing just to do common tasks. You realize you can change things as you go.

For people used to using GUI stuff, it actually save them a lot of time.

>something is already pre-installed
>what a waste of time

If you two weren't completely fucking retarded you'd see that I'm making fun of your dumbshit argument against Linux Mint by applying it to Ubuntu.

It's great for beginners. It just works if you're using it for simple things. Unlike ubuntu, where you have to know what you're doing and configure extra shit. I don't understand why you're getting so worked up over this though. No one forced you to use it.

That was my first post in this thread so you're not countering any of my arguments. In my eyes you are just a moron, now I learned that you're also unfunny.

I realize that, and am showing you your argument doesn't work.

screeching intensifies

Linux Mint has it's own software repository and provides certain pre-installed software which is not pre-installed on other Debian-based Linux distributions. This is the same exact thing that Ubuntu does. So if you want your argument to be valid, you have to apply it to Ubuntu also.

Nice bootup time Kevin. I've managed to get under 8 seconds with Arch on my T520, but that took some fucking with my bootloader parameters.

If Solus is that fast right out of the box then I will do as you say, Kev.

>This is the same exact thing that Ubuntu does.
Which makes no sense because Ubuntu isn't the point of this thread, Mint is

Since you can download most common DEs to be installed out of the box on Ubuntu, what does Mint have going for it outside of the DE?

>Linux Mint has it's own software repository
Yes, repackaged Ubuntu/Debian software and upstream patches. If there are some Mint specific applications that justify it being a standalone distribution, I haven't seen them

Probably because you don't know the difference between a DE and a distro.

>Unity is SHIT
>he doesn't know that you can download different variations of Ubuntu that come pre-installed with different DE's

Its point is to exemplify everything wrong with the linux community

At least its not Mate.

>crippled by default update system
it works, they just warn people about upgrading kernel as it can fuck up drivers

>updates are shitty repackaged versions from upstream

99 percent of updates are just ubuntu lts updates that come directly from ubuntu xenial repos

>firefox install with a near impossible to remove botnet 'search enhancer' plugin

so the firefox that comes with mint starts you on a linux mint yahoo search page. do you know how to change your homepage? is that near impossible?

all of that shit is wrong

this

you can go to the fucking mint page and add google to your firefox if you want that shitty search.. or use searx.me if you're not retarded
the updates are fucking fine? never had issues in years.

and you can actually get gpu drivers to work without blowing up your system

>what does Mint have going for it outside of the DE?

100 percent compatibility with Ubuntu, which is by far the most popular Linux distribution with over half of all PC's running linux running Ubuntu

Mint also comes with media codecs that cuck distros don't. It's not an edgelord fashion statement. It's an operating system for personal computers that works and is free. It's also more popular than the distro you are running, unless that distro is Ubuntu.

Glad to hear :)

It's only slow because of nouveau drivers not being used, since I'm only using the Intel integrated graphics instead for battery life. When I used Solus with the NVIDIA card instead, it didn't have to mess with any of that stuff, and it would boot up in 3 seconds.

I tried Solus thanks to your shilling, it sucked though.

its ubuntu without amazon botnet

Stil doesn't change the fact that the botnet is real, and there. You can't get rid of it retard.

But with Mint botnet added

>You can't get rid of it

you really don't know how to change your default search engine in a web browser?

>upgrading kernel breaking drivers
The update system goes beyond just warning the user. The so-called level 5 updates were disabled by default when I last tried Mint. It goes without saying this promotes unpatched vulnerabilities down the road and is completely retarded from a security perspective. Even more so when you take into account especially it's pushed toward users migrating from Windows.

You'd trust doing online banking running Mint?

>updates directly from Ubuntu
All the more reason to use Ubuntu with the DE of your choice and cut out the useless middle man

>change your homepage
I didn't say homepage, I said plugin (or Add-on more specifically). Go look for yourself if you're running Firefox in Mint, it's there. Then try removing it and you'll see what I mean. Once you realize you can't, you may decide to just install Firefox yourself, which then creates a new mess when you use the update system built into Mint. It will try to pull back in the Mint branded Firefox each time you update. While it is possible to remove (because I've done it) it's completely pointless as to why it's there in the first place. A financial incentive for Mint devs would be my guess.

I've used Mint, I'm not just pulling my criticisms out of thin air. If you're going to make an argument for it, point out features that justify it being a standalone distro instead of an over-hyped DE project.

>100 percent compatibility with Ubuntu
Reskinned Ubuntu is 100% compatible with Ubuntu? Mind = blown

>codecs
Apparently that's what the whole distribution is for because I haven't seen any other solid points

>Why does this distro even exist?
Because it can. Nothing stopping anyone from forking their own distro like Ubuntu or Devuan from Debian.

You're completely missing the point of open-source software

no middleman, updates come directly from ubuntu. no big deal. There are reports of Cinnamon being very buggy in Ubuntu. Just like KDE is extremely buggy in Ubuntu. Mint is optimized for the Cinnamon DE

>You'd trust doing online banking running Mint?

yes lol

What's the point of any other OS than just Apple OS? So retarded nerds can shill their pretentious gaming rigs and look cool while all their data is being mined?

Yes i do. You STILL can't get rid of it idiot. Let me spell it out for you since you're retarded: You can change your search engine. It is still not possible to get rid of the mint botnet in FF. Is that simple enough for you to understand, or do you need it broken down further?

>Perfectly functional release subject to nerd rage because... well no sane reason at all really

If you don't like it don't download it. If enough people feel the same way it will die, otherwise it will thrive.

Fucking autists.

Just use Debian, the superiour Ubuntu derivative, instead of the faggy mess called Mint.

if it's not possible to get rid of the mint botnet in FF explain to me why I don't have the mint botnet in FF?

It's for those who want to get Ubuntu, but with Cinnamon installed

/thread

You do. It's not my problem you're not smart enough to still realize it. Some people think they can live by only breathing air. Those stupid people aren't my problem either.

To sum it up:
>Retarded people are not my problem

>computer illiterate mongoloid
>can't think or breathe on his own without assistance
Sounds like the average wincuck to me.
Linux is the patrician choice, but it's too unstable for professional use (outside of programming/server stuff). Mac is the next best thing.

lol canonical shill btfo. thanks for investing all the time and money into Ubuntu, i'mma just take that OS, put Cinnamon on it and take 1/3 of your users overnight

lies

it's obongo LTS + Cinnamon + Botnet

Mint is Ubuntu with a nice looking DE that makes the decision to put security updates and kernel changes on the back burner in favor of keeping the DE from crashing.

Seriously. Last time I used Mint, I had to enable security updates in the updater. I love MATE though, so I guess I can't talk.

I don't even use linux you mongoloid.

well I hope you don't use Firefox because we all know that the Linux Mint team has hacked Mozilla and Clem is watching what u do

>I'm going to try to be absurd now because I've lost and look like a moron: The Post

so when I say Linux Mint team hacked Mozilla and are spying on people it's absurd, when you say it it's true, and when I post a screencap of my Firefox that shows my addons manager with nothing but uBlock Origin installed I lost

gotcha

Ok, I'm going to give this one more shot, because you are truly specially retarded, and not garden-variety retarded.

It doesn't matter if you remove the "plug-in". It's still there. It's true. It doesn't matter if you believe me or not. Still true. It doesn't matter if you make absurd strawmen posts. Still true. It doesn't matter if you have UO installed. Still true.

I don't know how to make this any simpler for you. But then, it's probably why you're using Mint, so whatever.

Okay, one of you fucking idiots needs to post some proof or you need to lube up and fuck off already.

oh, I get it. It's just there, it's not visible or provable, but it's there. Makes sense now, Mint hacked Firefox, put "it" in there, made it invisible, and the icing on the cake is it only works in Mint.

Shit, I see now how absurd I was being and how rational you were being. You are smart, I am dumb. This is why I use Mint and you use MacOS. Sheesh!

Post some fucking proof already, dipshit.

Not surprising someone like you, who installed an entire distro for codecs, doesn't know where Add-ons are in Firefox or what about:config is.

Shine on, Fonz

Post proof or shut the fuck up.

I stopped using it when I found out the lead developer was an anti-semite.

Mint KDE works for me. Cinnamon and even mate not so much.

FOR FUCKS SAKE KEVIN.

>I don't want help or money from a specific group of people because I disagree with their politics or the actions of their government
>I don't want a specific group of people using my software or buying my products because I disagree with their politics
It's wrong when gays do it
It's wrong when Trump supporters do it
It's wrong when SJWs do it
Stop fucking doing it all of you jesus christ

I have no strong opinion on the Israeli Palestinian conflict because it's too complex and long running to have a properly informed opinion on. But fuck Linux Mint's dev for that post.

>Debian
>Ubunti Derivative

Israel is a country dude.
Are you not going to say anything ever against Italy because the Vatican is there and it could hurt Christians ?

You even hear this argument from diplomats on TV. Such no sense.

Samefag of Italy example...

You realize that from you examples ppl are getting physically hurt just in the Israel - Palestinian conflict ?

That's why it exists.

>uses ubuntu
>supports trump
>makes linux look like windows
honestly i'm not surprised all of these go together

>installed entire distro for codecs
I never said that, I said it was a positive though. Who doesn't watch videos or play music on their computer?

>doesn't know where add-ons are in firefox or what about:config is
now you're just making shit up.

go ahead and post proof of this malicious Firefox exploit that the Linux Mint team are behind (aka: in the Firefox bundled with Linux Mint the homepage and default search engine are partnered with Linux Mints and Linux Mint gets a cut)

why did you put Fatty Bankrupt's plump face on a skinny body?

Does Linux Mint still not use systemd?

What? It's literally ubuntu with tweaks. Of course it uses systemd.

It didn't always.
Hence my question, but thanks for answering.

It's not malicious, it's a feature.™

I'm not making anything up. Anyone reading this can verify what I said on their own. There's no point in going to go grab a copy of Mint, booting it up in a VM, all to grab a screenshot of what I know to be true for some tech-illiterate dumbass on an underground Mongolian BBQ forum

You want to run Mint? Run it. Just don't piss on me and tell me it's raining with your shill/shitposting

This

Fuck off yall

I'm not him but for fuck's sake
>Anyone reading this can verify what I said on their own
>Everyone but me should be doing the legwork in proving my claims
This is the opposite of good debating skills. You sound like that fat carrot saying "I know it, you know it, everyone knows it". Either post proof or stop claiming the same thing over and over again.

>still no evidence

In other words, you're just spreading FUD. Thanks for playing.

I didn't know that Linux Mint was redpilled. I plan on installing it on all my computers as soon as I get home.

WTF I love Linux Mint now

>I have no strong opinion on the Israeli Palestinian conflict because it's too complex and long running to have a properly informed opinion on.
lol brainlet
Patrician opinion is to desire one of the groups of semites to exterminate the other and then just fucking nuke the place from orbit.

not that anybody's opinion on it really matters to anything.

>p-please dig in your d-distro trashcan and p-prove
No. It was present in whatever release Rosa was, which was the first and last time I bothered with it.

Now go run off and enjoy your mom what's apt-get/how into codecs distro