Linux

What is the best version of the Linux operating system to use?

I am not tech-savvy, but need something I can run a laptop from that doesn't have a hard drive.

Other urls found in this thread:

elementary.io.
gnu.org/
tails.boum.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*GNU/Linux

>doesn't have a hard drive.
Puppy Linux.

GNU/Linux*

PCLinuxOS

Can you guys give me reasons for your suggestions?

Install Gentoo

Can this be installed on USB or SD Card?

/thread

Everything ITT is memes.

Puppy is specifically made to run without a hard drive, from a usb stick. With the others it's a live cd or crappy hack at best.

Hi OP I personally find Linux 16.10 to be very good

Your bait is bad and you should feel bad

Almost any Linux distro can be installed on a USB or SD card -- so not only is a hard drive not necessary in the bigger picture, it's not even necessary in the general case. Just pick one.

If you're not tech-savvy, and you're not used to GNU/Linux's style of UIs, I'd recommend Elementary OS, from elementary.io.
Some pros:
* Beautiful. Probably the most beautifully simple UI I've ever seen on a GNU/Linux distro.
* It's a fork of Ubuntu, so you get access to the Debian package manager and Debian repositories -- which, in comparison to other package managers and repositories, are noteworthy for being exceptionally easy to use and exceptionally up-to-date (the latter often at the cost of stability).
* Pretty fast.
Some cons:
* Can be hard to find support for problems. If you can't find anything searching on "[problem or question you have] Elementary OS," I'd recommend "[problem or question you have] Ubuntu"; they're similar enough that it's likely to get you somewhere.
* The download LOOKS like it's behind a paywall. It actually isn't; where it prompts you to name your price, you can enter 0. However, you have to actually *manually enter 0*; it's not an option. I don't know about you, but that sure made me feel like a piece of shit. Couldn't be helped, though; I was broke at the time.

How do i get into learning about GNU/Linux?

Google it

Do you think this would be a great site learning about the differences and what GNU/Linux is about?

>gnu.org/

Oh, of course. Just google the guides for it. They're VERY clear and helpful.

Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon Edition 'Serena'

Just curious, why are you using a laptop without a hard drive?

Xubuntu, ChaletOS, Antergos XFCE, and Manjaro XFCE are all pretty comfy.

As (you) just discovered, "best"is such a ridiculously vague term that ((you)) will not get a useful answer.

> not tech-savvy
> run a laptop from
> doesn't have a hard drive

That does help, but how about tech specifications for the laptop, model number even, what (((you))) will use it for.

Is that too much to ask for?

Bonus: why no hard drive? Even a small SSD, like 128 GB or 64 GB, can be had for minimal investment and would make quite the difference.

It is also possible to run some distros from a USB flash drive.

Google "pen drive linux" for all sorts of options.

Not knowing much other than your OP, I'll assume it's a laptop with fairly limited capability. Look into Fedora with LXDE. Debian/LXDE would be equivalent in capabilities & tech knowledge required, just slightly different. Both are incredibly stable for general working computers and, paired with LXDE, will run comfortably fast on 1 GB RAM if necessary, and shine with 4 GB.

Tails can be run from a USB drive, in fact, you never install Tails even if you have a hard drive. It's meant for privacy, and routes all traffic through Tor.

tails.boum.org/

Oh, look. There's this thing called THE FUCKING STICKY.

Maybe read it?

- > pro-hint: there might even be links to resources in it

As others anons said, if you really don't have a hard drive your best option (for beginners) would be puppy linux.

any *buntu

Xubuntu is probably the best

And by that we mean grab a puppy and shove it into your computer.