OLED televisions

Did this finally happen while I was asleep at the switch? We're finally allowed to purchase real OLED televisions, with no backlight, with infinite contrast, and with 10-bit per pixel color and 4K resolution?

Did we win? Seems like just LG for now, but Sony models to come soon. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like televisions will finally be worth upgrading.

Other urls found in this thread:

crutchfield.com/p_68955B6P/LG-OLED55B6P.html
lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED55B6P-oled-4k-tv
pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-oledmonitors/
youtube.com/watch?v=zp2WYhB_7dM
youtu.be/RDFkKrHlefE
youtube.com/watch?v=60LliAh46ks
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Television pictured:

crutchfield.com/p_68955B6P/LG-OLED55B6P.html

lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED55B6P-oled-4k-tv

When can I use this as my computer monitor?

Why no refresh rate listed anywhere? Is it stuck at 120 Hz? If it's a "Smart TV" then does that mean it's smart enough to turn 30000/1001fps film content from 23.976fps to 24fps and pitch-correct the audio so that it can play each frame 5× and actually be smooth while fieldmatching? Same for video at 60fps? Or is it multisync somehow and they're just not advertising this miraculous feature?

I believe as soon as you own one and plug in an HDMI (HDCP 2.2) cable into it. Make sure to set those GPU drivers for 10-bit color to enjoy all 1.07 billion of them instead of 16.7 million like we've been looking at for decades like suckers.

>OLED viewable from any angle
>offer many models with curved screens to prevent viewing from any angle other than straight on

Genius

What's the point when you eyes can only see 32 colours?

Prices?

That might have worked during the Genesis v. Super Nintendo console wars for Sega fans justifying their 64 colors onscreen at one time. But the same memers who claim this also frequently claim that the eye can't see more than 24 frames per second, so what does that do to your Blast Processing?

I've heard anime nerds claim that 10-bit encoding is absolutely necessary while in the same breath abhorring 10-bit per pixel color in truth. They just want no banding, don't care about actual color depth. Absurd.

Human eye sees almost a billion.

$2000 for the model picture (list price $2300) at 55"

$3000 for the 65" ones

Hilarious.

So how much for a 30" monitor?

The whole "human eye" argument is usually framed in colors being distinguishable. Clearly the human eye can see everything in the visible spectrum. Pretty sure we see into the infrared and ultraviolet as well to some extent without realizing it.

>Human eye sees almost a billion.

Isn't it basically infinite. Like how there is a infinite number of numbers between 1 and 2.

I dunno, are they OLED yet? Like some G-Sync OLED thing?

Yeah everything in the spectrum. Most people can distinguish between a billion or so, while "seeing" an infinite number of colors in the visible spectrum.

when will we get tv's that output in more vibrant frequencies, like the 10-100 picometer band?

Seriously, the frequency range of modern tv's is fucking pathetic.

$5,495.00 for a 25" OLED monitor but at 1080p and 8-bit color

Is that like, luma or chroma? The new LG TVs don't get as bright as the DolbyVision standard calls for despite claiming to have it supported.

The new 2017 LG OLEDs purportedly can accept and display 1080p@120hz. This is on a 4k native panel. They can't do 4k@120hz yet because of HDMI bandwidth limitation.

Most if not all of the 2017 models have done away with the curve completely.

The only 30" OLEDs are Sony broadcast monitors, which are clearly priced for professional use: pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-oledmonitors/

Dell was going to make a consumer (or prosumer) 30" for $5k, but they ended up canceling it.

This is really old news. Where have you been?

Also there's a few things to know when buying LG OLED TVs.

1) the degrading blue OLED is not an issue anymore, because LG TVs use all white diodes and have a color filter on each one, so every single subpixel will have the same exact half-life (the half-life of a white diode). It's a pretty brilliant and elegant solution and I'm sure the rest of the industry feels pretty dumb for not figuring it out sooner.
2) OLED TVs are actually not insanely superior in every aspect in two major ways:
3) input lag is pretty bad. You could turn on "game mode" which makes it less bad but at the cost of picture quality (yes, it will still say it's outputting 10-bit 4:4:4 chroma, but side by side picture quality tests will reveal artifacts).
4) here's the really big one: it actually kind of sucks at HDR. The best OLED TVs still have mediocre brightness levels. Yes, they have unbeatable blacks and they can have per-pixel HDR accuracy, but it just is not that impressive without the brightness. Samsung's 8000/9000 series still does HDR10/1000 better than OLED does HDR10/1000. However in certain instances, Dolby Vision on LG's OLED does look better than Samsung's HDR10/1000 (Samsung does not support DV).

Finally, if you're looking at the way more affordable 2016 models, get the C6. Yes, it's curved, but it has the same picture quality as the higher end 2016 models and has the same processing power, whereas the "equivalent" flat model, the B6, has a considerably worse processor, among other things, which is fucking retarded, but it's just how it is.

No, don't be retarded. When colors are close enough you won't be able to distinguish them.

The human eye/brain actually is not that great at distinguishing color. We are able to distinguish between shades of light/dark much better, which is why chroma 4:2:2 works.

I have this tv. It's a 55" that I use as my monitor for the living room. It's pretty good but everything said here is correct.

>wanting a tv that degrades to nothing after 2 years
Le shiggy

>smart tv

Enjoy having the CIA, FBI, FSB and Mossad watching and hearing everything that happens in your living room.

I have the 55" B6

It has shit motion interpolation.
It has non-defeatable motion processing for anything outside of PC mode and STILL cannot be defeated for 50Hz/i 1080 (at least on UK models) so stutters when watching UK TV every now and then. Frame judder is more obvious (Not to be confused with stutter) due to having a fast response time. If motion interpolation was better this would not be an issue but it is for many.

They just released a new HDR game mode firmware so you can play HDR Games with lower lag. Also standard game mode latency is better. The only snag is HDR Game mode appears to be dimmer than normal HDR (we are pestering LG to see why this is the case).

That said everything else is great.

Sony, Philips and Panasonic are selling OLED TV's now based on LG panels.

Philips has amazingly been able to incorporate some form of black frame insertion which smooths motion without artifacts and no discernible loss of light output. It's a bit pricey though as is Sony's and Panasonic's offerings.

OLED is still susceptible to image retention and color shift. Dell have abandoned their OLED monitors for computer use mainly because of color shift.

Also I would strongly advise buying your own color calibration gear and learning to do it yourself. With the cost of a pro calibration buying your own 'good enough' calibration tools for a few hundred bucks and doing it yourself pays for itself.

HDR with high nits is only good if you view in a bright setting. I find HDR just fine on the LG's but I view in a dimly lit room. I don't want my eyes burned out by it being too bright.

Goddamn I wish I knew what the fuck you just said.
I haven't bought a TV in like 10 years and back then I couldn't really afford to be choosy and trying to do research on a high end TV now I feel like I need to learn a new language.
Everything seems to say the B6 is a good buy though so I'm leaning towards it.

Sony uses LG screens.

Wait until June for the new models. They'll be 30% brighter.

They will only boost that much on specular highlights. On a big area like a sunburst it will still be limited to around 750 nits and ABL will still be a thing. ABL will only kick in on darker scenes after a longer period of time though which is good. Shame they can't just throw that into the 2016 models firmware. I see no reason why they couldn't other than Jewery.

Does that mean they're 4K@30Hz, rendering them useless? What upscaling algorithms is it using when it fuzzies up my content to 4K from 1080p?

Well do you know any TV with good motion interpolation?

DP doesn't have this issue

who gives a fuck about OLED anyways?
worse lifespan than even plasma, while also having worse viewing angles and even worse refresh/response rates

>infinite contrast
wtf they made a true black body?

plasma already did this danm near 10 years ago

Pretty sure all the newer 4k TV's can do 4k@60hz

testing

Weren't there $50,000 to $100,000 OLED TVs like... three years ago?

>LG
>champion of OLED
>makes OLED TVs and shit
>all phones are battery hog IPS shit

>no 4k oled 144hz gsync/freesync 1ms monitor at around 500 burgers.

Would a time ever come?

Over HDMI? how?

wouldn't you need display port for this?

battery hog, backlight bleed, shit contrast, shit blacks, etc. fuck IPS.

Galaxy S8 doesn't have this problem.

No, HDMI 2.0 can handle it.

>without reaslising it
bandpass filters exist, you can look though a light filter that only let's 380nm (outside of the "visible" spectrum) light through, if you look through this filter indoors, basically everything is black, but look at the sun or clouds, and it's white/violet.

Rip my dear G Flex 2 with OLED screen

When will these TVs come down to reasonable price levels so my NEET ass can afford one?

gonna be a while before walmart has black friday sales on vizio OLEDs, user

>BVMX300/2
Imagine the levels of shitposting you could get up to with something like that in a battlestation thread.

I've said this in dozens of other threads here, 2017 is the year 4k takes over from 1080p as the common standard.

And it's freaking great.

>>smart tv
I personally see "smart tv"'s as extremely stupid but for entirely different reasons.

I expect a good TV to last me more than a year. A good TV should easily last 5 years, perhaps 10.

How good is an average current smartphone compared to a 3 year old smartphone? My opinion is that it's slow and crappy. A "smart" TV makes you stuck with some crappy old CPU/GPU combination and a buggy OS that can't be changed or upgraded.

I don't actually have a TV, I use a computer monitor. The only reason I see to ever buy a TV is that it's a very big screen. And that's all I would need. Content comes from a PC anyway, and that's an external upgradable box. Audio goes to a proper receiver with proper surround speakers.

All I want from a "TV" is a big screen to display things on..

I think 10 years is pushing it. That was only applicable during the CRT era. LCD and on we've made too much progress to wait longer than 5 years for a flatscreen tv.

I think it still holds true for projectors though, I dont see 4k projectors getting cheaper anytime soon.

What's the lifespan on these displays? Does the brightness still go down 50% every year?

>hi dpi computer monitor

>4K @ 55"
>hi dpi
you're fucking retarded

All while games and shit are using rgb color space. Ie, almost nothing will change

ive had my plasma for about 10 years and its still great.

Infrared isn't detected because it's too low energy to excite the receptors in our eyes. You can still detect high power IR via your skin though.
UV would be detectable, but the eye's lens/cornea purposefully filters it to avoid ionizing your retina.

quantum dot when

Good monitors fucking when? I have okay quality 23" dell IPS and i want something BIGGER. Ideally 27" or more 120hz or more, 1440p with freesync. But there is nothing on the market! Even if there is something close it costs shitload of money!

Real-time chroma upscaling with MadVR and such for video?

OLED TVs from LG and Samsung suck shit as monitors. Way too much ghosting. Stay the fuck away.

youtube.com/watch?v=zp2WYhB_7dM

Wait few more years.

>OLED TVs from LG and Samsung
>Samsung
>OLED

Not habbening
>The site says it spoke with Dell personnel at CES, and that it was told the UP3017Q was canceled due to unresolvable image quality problems. Specifically, according to les Numériques, the issue was color drift when viewing the monitor off-angle.
Just a couple months ago. And that was a monitor going for $5k.

watch the review as he compares LG OLED. it's total shit.

Fuck!!! Maybe samsung will come up with something decent...

samsung's 40" 4K works fine as a monitor since 4K computer monitors are expensive as fuck

Highly doubt that this year at least. At CES all they were showing off were their QLED shit.
You're going to be waiting until at least 2018 for anything solid it seems.

>samsung's 40" 4K works fine as a monitor since 4K computer monitors are expensive as fuck
sure, but OLED from LG is unsuitable. that's my point.

OLED for monitors is still years awau.

You will see some sane prices and new technologies when the dumb gaymers will stop buying shitty TNs at 600$ or even more. There's no point in making us pay a sub 30" 3x more than a giant ass smart tv with the latest panel technology. They are jewing us hard

>color drift when viewing the monitor off-angle
That's such a weird thing to find fault with. As if LCDs don't all have massive off-angle image problems already... maybe they figured for $5k people would expect perfection, and they wouldn't be able to deliver it.

sony just released their oled lineup
youtu.be/RDFkKrHlefE

>I have the 55" B6
I have one as well.

Besides the issues you listed the TV is great. I've been using a Pioneer Kuro for almost ten years and I finally found an actual replacement for it. However, using these TVs as a PC monitor is still shit. I hope one day we can get affordable OLED monitors.

When can I expect to see more options for 24"+ 2k/4k IPS monitors that support Gsync?

New Philips OLED

It's not even true QLED. More marketing speak. QLED is self emmitting. Shamsungs QLED right now is just a tweaked LCD panel. It still uses a backlight. Do not fall for their Jewing.

>They just want no banding

How many of them have 10bit capable monitors and GPUs?

Pretentious le classy glitch crap music annoys the everliving shit out of me.

Guys asked this on /sqt/ might aswell ask here
So I´m looking to buy a 4K tv and browsing the web I found various sites that calculate the "ideal" size of the tv depending on the viewing distance
According to this my distance woud be 3.20m, so it reccomends a 75+" Tv for said distance, is this bullshit and can go with a smaller size without compromising quality?
Was thinking on getting a Vizio 65"(1600usd) or a 75" (3400usd) both from the P series, a Samsung UN75KS9000 (3500usd)
Or settle on a 65" 65B6P for 3500usd?
At this point I´m not interesed on

Convince me not to pop on the 55"LG B6 OLED for $1400.

>non-defeatable motion processing
Mandatory death sentence for every manager and marketing fuckstick involved in this decision

FED monitors are just around the corner...

youtube.com/watch?v=60LliAh46ks

Anyone with a good TV from the last few years and an NVidia graphics card from the last few years I'd guess.

Damn you for momentarily getting my hopes up. FED is still as dead as ever.

>LCD finally catches up to CRT

What makes it stand out? Does it have a less soap opera effect or something

IIRC no banks wanted to finance new display plants when FED was ready for production and it just died for no actual good (technical) reason

OLED is cool and all but FED had definitive advantages in colourimetry, motion handling, life span and burn-in potential and would surpass anything you can buy in 2017

I bought the LG oled55c7v last week for 2250 eurosheckels. I must say I really like the image quality.
Gaming performance had yet to be determined because I don't have a hdmi 2.0 capable video card yet