About to buy the XPS 15 9560 w. i5-7300HQ and GTX 1050

Any last words, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20004108
youtube.com/watch?v=6Asvqrl_AWY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

install gentoo

Forgot to mention 4k screen

Get it. My father has the same model except with a 6700HQ, he loves it (he does enterprise consulting, I do enterprise support).

I'm a mechanical engineer at SpaceX

braaap

It's a good fit then. Dream lappy for anyone who does multitasking, 4K brings the convenience of having multiple monitors (extra res) mobile.

congratulations

And I'm Linus Torvalds

Hope you dont get a coil whine unit.

what can i do if so? buying off ebay

I have the 9550 so let me tell you the cons.

Speakers are dogshit terrible. Expect crackles if you watch TV or Netflix even after EQ tuning.

For some reason, you can't use back/forward touchpad gestures on chrome. This is to do with microsofts touch drivers. they work fine in edge.

If you down-res panel to 1080p, there is light ghosting in games.

Spacebar is known to be "wonky", as if it's not fully in place. Easy to fix if u have this issue.

Otherwise, incredibly solid laptop.

WHIIIIINNNEEEEEE

bump

what are teh chances the unit has coil whine?

im buying used

I've seen 2 units so far in the wild, and both had coil whine.

Is it a big deal though? Is it while intensive applications are being run or under standard usage?

> any last words Sup Forums?
Yes, listen to me, you will regret the i5, it will be the biggest bottleneck and you will never be able to upgrade it again. Definitely go for the i7 version.

Bottleneck while doing what? lol

standard usage, one was worse than the other, but it's noticable.

They had this shit on the first xps 13 they ever made, and its still going on years later?

These aren't my last words, because I don't die merely from knowing someone, somewhere in the world made the worst mistake of their life.

That being said, my "last" words are:
We're both wanking, but when I finish, I"m gonna have a little something to show for it.

Mobile Intel shines because of hyperthreading, the i5 can't hyperthread.

Even multitasking will feel sluggish

>2 pci lanes for thunderbolt
>coil whine
>battery sucking imperceptible meme resolution
>ass trackpad
>butthole speakers
>dell

just buy a cheap turd or go all the way and get a macbook. "high end" PCs are all a joke in terms of build quality.

forgot pic

I'm a mexican drug lord using that same model.

I have a 2015 rMBP 13 but it doesn't have all the usability I need

>Most engineering programs I need have mostly windows support only, windows usability is shit on mac
>128GB SSD
>don't have a gpu for shit like image processing, cad work/assemblies

bump

is hyperthreading necessary

just avoid the xps line at all costs. maybe get the inspiron gaming with the 1050ti, or go with a different manufacturer all together. I had to return 3 units for various defects, and the one I kept already has a broken/grinding fan and much shittier battery life, and the coil whine is truly god awful. I hear the surface book 2 is in production already, maybe wait for that.

Then why is the xps 15 so praised here? I've been scouring warosu archives and its all praise of the 15

On another note, (if you dont mind noise)
Why not the razer blade ?

Because i'm a poorfag

Ah i see

Im not buying the xps 15 new, im paying probably about $1300USD for the 8gb/256gb/1050 and UHD (4K) used. Is this a decent deal if theres no coil whine?

Are you planning on playing games at 4k? cuz it's not gonna happen with a 1050, unless you're ok with sub 15fps or are playing old ass RTS games. I'm not even sure why they would give you a 4k monitor with that, hell 2k would already buttfuck you on a 1050.

I don't even plan on gaming, its for matlab crunching, CAD shit etc. I don't expect to do anything but browse in 4k

oh then forget everything I said.

>Not aerospace

Just use warranty

Yeah, mechanical engineering is pajeet tier aerospace

No we are actually just highly specialized mechanical engineers who can do one job

it looks good on paper and on the review videos, actually holding and using it is a different story. I have coil whine ptsd from that piece of shit. the sound frequency changes with onscreen elements, so every time you scroll or enlarge an image the hiss gets a little louder. It comes through on headphones and it even came through on a pair of monitors with an external usb audio interface. maybe my ears are more sensitive than others, but to me its a massive design flaw that dell has let slide for multiple iterations without giving a single shit about customer feedback.

jesus shit

maybe i shouldnt buy it, though i havent seen anyone have any problems with the i5/4K model. What models did you use?

>2017
>buying Dell when Apple exists
Why even live?

i work at the toilet store

Windows still suck doing scaling, but go for it anyways.

I had the broadwell xps 13 i5 1080p and now have the skylake xps 13 with 3200x1800 touch panel. it is a little weird seeing so much praise for such a fundamentally flawed laptop. there is even a guy in this thread with one that has the same speaker popping problem in video playback that I had.

here is a thread describing the same exact issue on the 15 9560.
en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/20004108

What exactly is coil whine ?
I'm not familiar with the term at all

It's where the power regulators of a mobo emit a constant high pitched sound. It's annoying as fuck, usually headphones grab it and Dell has a historial of Coil whine issues.

its the sound electronics make when youre autistic enough and live in a basement with no other sources of sound

>t. dell shill

its a resonance created by vibrating components on the board i.e. shit build quality. a cursory google search will show you that this issue is widespread if not ubiquitous

youtube.com/watch?v=6Asvqrl_AWY

> i5-7300HQ
> GTX 1050
BGA and BGA. It's like you want it to break.

how is it?
i kinda see my future in this industry

Is it a shill thread? Also, can the coil whine be heard if you plug in headphones?

How about the precision then guys ?
The same but with a quaddro.

Are the current gen inspirons specifically known for coil whine? I was thinking of getting either a standard or 2in1 in the €1000 range depending on the 2in1 meme taking my fancy.