Daily open source hardware thread

Discuss open source hardware. Post builds or build ideas using all open source hardware.

Getting Started:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_hardware
certificate.oshwa.org/
minnowboard.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Software_Foundation
osha.gov/
genericshitsbc.org/
beagleboard.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>still no quad core a72 boards with 4gb ram and 64gb emmc
why are chinks so bad at designing a good board?

It's all open source.
>with a twist

It's the companies making ARM SoCs. They refuse to sell to smaller companies. If you can get a response they will typically demand financial details of your company, briefings on planned products then promptly ignore you when they see your company is worth less than 1 billion.

Unless it's Broadcom, which has no problem letting the Raspberry Pi Foundation use their SOCs

Does this count?

>Unless it's Broadcom, which has no problem letting the Raspberry Pi Foundation use their SOCs
Problem is Qualcomm and Intel forced out companies like broadcom and Ti from the market you would find a quadcore A72. Intel was dumping atoms below cost while qualcomm made questionable deals with manufacturers. Ti, broadcom and others just said "fuck this we make moore money making MCUs and non-consumer shit"

NXP has a few A72 products coming out but now Qualcomm bought them, no one knows if they will go full retard like qualcomm.

TI already had their own "Pi" years before the Pi was a thing.

Discuss

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Software_Foundation
osha.gov/
genericshitsbc.org/

>open source hardware
>intel
>arm

>BBC Micro used to be an actual computer
>Now it's a shitty chip that can't do anything but show lights

How the mighty have fallen...

You might have more success with the MIPS platform, as an underdog Imagination will have to perform better.

Still, the established companies should think twice about what they do as RISC-V is moving ahead. Qualcomm is evidently hedging its ARM bets as a sponsor so who knows where this is heading.

To be fair, most computers in the 80s were glorified FPGAs

What?

Is FreeSync free?

it is opposed to nvidia's G-sync
AMD doesn't bribe manufacturers enough...

>Intel was dumping atoms below cost

I bought a 7" dirt cheap tablet while they were doing this. It's the worst Android device I've ever had. It's seriously slow. I can't even watch Periscope on it for more than 5 minutes before it overheats and shuts down. Regardless of that, at the time there were nothing but Atom-powered tablets out of China, there still is a ton of them for sale.

Those mobile atom CPUs really are the worst garbage ever yet they are put into almost every low-cost tablet made.

MediaTek doesn't exactly make the best SOCs but there's a world of difference between their worst SOCs, which actually give you a nice a smooth experience, and the best Intel Atom SOCs (all horrible).

>Qualcomm is evidently hedging its ARM bets as a sponsor

I too see enormous potential in RISC V. The idea that we could potentially get wide use of a free and open instruction set with lots of SOCs and platforms is something I really, really like.

But I'm not sure Qualcomm sponsoring them is a good or a bad thing. We've seen companies who are heavily invested in competing tech take control of something just to kill it off time and time before.

Few people are aware of this but GCC already supports RISC V. Porting GNU/Linux to RISC V isn't hard. It would be so cool if RISC V could smack Intel, AMD and ARM in the face.

>AMD doesn't bribe manufacturers enough...
Bribes aside, AMD FreeSync is free as in zero free to implement and NVidia G-Sync isn't. Implementing FreeSync probably adds to the cost of a monitor but they don't have to pay AMD anything.

i have an idea and dont know about hardware, can i get a rec?

id like to play at least 8, prefer a few dozen though, seperate audio files simultaneously each through its own speaker.

im experimenting with recording techniques

>But I'm not sure Qualcomm sponsoring them is a good or a bad thing.
It is known that Qualcomm has an architecture license from ARM. Those are not cheap and come saddled with conditions. If they could replace ARM with RISC-V without sacrificing too much performance they would save a lot of money. From their development of Hexagon DSP we know they have the resources to pull this off. They also license in Xtensa cores which also costs them money.

ARM is now an old architecture and decades of research should put the industry in a position to make a better architecture than the established ones. I hope RISC-V is that new advance.

>TI already had their own "Pi" years before the Pi was a thing.
Go on, please...

beagleboard.org/

I really like this idea, it is literally the most epic idea of all ideas i've heard this year and all other years.

Does anyone know if there exists a SBC that isn't shackled to proprietary blobs for functionality?
e.g., pi bootcode, beagleboard gpu firmware, etc.

Is it even possible anymore to build a computer that is open from top to bottom?

I have read that the raspberry-pi foundation practically is an arm of Broadcom.

There is a constant push to get the products into industrial hardware.

Could you ever see them using a non-Broadcom SoC? nope.

Anyone know if there are any online stores that make it easy to see what has an open design and what does not?

Pretty sure both the Ci20 and Ci40 are open source hardware, I've got both. Currently using the Ci20 as a shitty NAS and I still have to find a purpose for the Ci40

>beagleboard.org/
Thanks.

>anymore
Was it ever?

How about the 1802 membership card?

I wish there was something similar for the legendary 6502.

Open source anything is the cancer killing engineering wages

Thankfully then I am a scientist.

Anyways, FOSS can be a good way of demonstrating you can make creative software. It doesn't have to be a huge complete system. Just look at KDE or GNOME - massige bug fests where they are whittling away functionality every release and they cannot even get KMAIL to work.

>beagleboard gpu firmware
Haven't pretty much all GPUs ever used proprietary firmware?

>I wish there was something similar for the legendary 6502.
Build your own. You can still buy new manufactured 6502 and Z80 processors.

Do you guys know of any board that comes or can be flashed with Linux, has at least one usb port and audio jack of 3.5mm, has a display interface, and it's 1cm or less thick?

Don't tell that's impossible in 1cm because there was the LicheePi One and the specs said it was 9mm thick (pic related). Sadly I can't find where to buy it.

>and they cannot even get KMAIL to work.
Okay good, so it's not just me. I'm going to use Thunderbird now.