Can we have a mature discussion about Xfce and KDE?

Can we have a mature discussion about Xfce and KDE?

Pros and cons?
What do you choose?

I would say that KDE is superior bcs of Kwin and Dolphin and overall Qt look and feel. Especially well integrated dark themes.
Also KDE has more active dev team.

I am on Manjaro KDE and I was using Xubuntu for over a year.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfce
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I sacrifice some of the quality of life stuff in exchange for the lower resource usage I can get with xfce.

I like the look of Qt more, but use XFCE for stability and customizability.

it depends on the computer specs and personal preference.

xfce
>great for ricing
>great on low spec computers
>low performance in general

KDE
>Looks nice
>high performance
>Can rice or just not care

granted theres more but I don't know to much about kde or xfce other than those

I get it. I am considering going back to xfce but i was always irritated by the shitty file manager and tray icons that look shitty and inconsistent..

I'm pretty happy using Numix with Paper icons. I can live with the imperfections.

XFCE is nice. Very basic, works, light on resources.

Not sure why you're hung up on looks as it can be tweaked.

I dont get you people. You always use the argument that Xfce is lighter on resources. How much are we talking about here? Hundreds of MB of RAM? It cant be that much, just cant.

>KDE looks nice
not at all

I count tens of MB when it comes to system resource usage. I've got old and modest hardware, so I need what I keep available for task usage.

Both are great but I prefer KDE because of krunner, dolphin and Qt.

But it does.

This is a full KDE installation on Arch running on an X201
GNOME would run at 2.5 gigs on idle and would constantly overheat the machine.
So fucking glad its fully stable, you can also disable all the bullshit animations and whatnot, so it's basically a more modern XFCE at this point.
I don't even need to run a separate compositor!

Oh, and gnome would give me like 40 minutes of battery if I was lucky
Meanwhile on KDE I'm easily sitting through 3 hour lectures with no issue

I'm on XFCE and I want to kill myself the tearing is so bad on NVIDIA. I can either:
>use Intel and everything runs like shit but is tear-free
>use NVIDIA and everything runs amazing but if I move a window fast enough literally half of it can be torn
Fucking shit

install the latest drivers and enable the forcefullcompositionpipeline option

try Manjaro Xfce , not trolling

XFCE has been my favorite desktop environment like since the day I first tried it. Everything I need from desktop environment without extra bullshit.

KDE has gotten so much better with version 5, holy shit.
It's running buttery smooth with all eyecandy and blur enabled on my piece of shit laptop. It also looks great and just works without having to rice or configure anything.

thoughts on bungie or whatever its called? it looks nice, minmialist which I need.

Also, why the fuck if I have barebones xfce4 it comes with fucking xburner or some shit to burn discs. I even dont have a cd drive.

kde neon vs kubuntu?
why the fuck the neckbeards have to create so much similar projects.

200MB on boot
700MB on Google Chrome
1.75GB Two Chromes one with two tabs and a video playing

compton?

and thats on xfce? wtf

yes! KDE a shit resource whore
GNOME3 a useful resource hog
Budgie is retro gnome and hogs
XFCE is lightweight and can be used as anything

so how much does KDE takes on boot and with chrome?

What about MATE?

neon, it's a layer of more up to date packages made because kubuntu became embarrassingly bad

xfce4 is deprecated long time ago.

I get very low memory usage with XFCE and i like it more than plasma, less windows-y

I like XFCE because their logo is a cute mouse.

Didnt mean to reply my bad

I haven't run it in a while but here's what I remember
>800MB on boot
>1.25GB Chrome
>2GB Two Chromes two tabs and a video
take my XFCE numbers and add around 50-100MB
recently updated to 14.13 and actively developing you fuck.

>actively developing you fuck.
post their dev schedule if you dare

>Xfce isn't being rewritten from scratch every two years
>hurr deprecated

showing your memory usage means nothing while a browser is running

Aye check on the right screen, that's my usage just after a restart. Htop is showing current usage with Dropbox, spotify and firefox with 4 tabs

Meant on the left my bad

>rewritten from scratch
ahhahah source on this

wrong.

I'm a long time GNU/Linux user and I believe I know what I'm talking about. XFCE has been abondoned long time ago is and is filled with security holes and just deprecated software.

Considering Sup Forums is very aware of botnet dangers, I'm amazed anyone uses anything than GNOME desktop. If you don't, then xfce is the last DE to use for the mentioned reasons.

XFCE is deprecated and I consider it harmful.

i don't but goddamn dude, a recent release shows activity and lack of inactivity. I do admit that the team was ded for like 3~ish years
show me security holes and deprecated software on XFCE?
>suggest GNOME to avoid botnet
nvm this was bait and I fell for it.

thats not just bait, its blasphemy

shame on you fampai

KDE is super buggy garbage.

>show me security holes and deprecated software on XFCE?
learn how to read code, kiddo. I doubt you even know how to code, using that shiny atom BROWSER as a text editor won't help you much.

enjoy your de from 1996, malware, and no modern updates. if people don't want an advice, then they can't be saved anyway. probably you're one of those kids who disable selinux the first thing because it's too complicated. go and cry to your mother nigger because life is tought.\

**vim user since december 1991**

Honestly I think it's insane that people call KDE bloated even if it does use more RAM than a lot of other desktop environments. Mine uses 350MB RAM on boot (with the file indexing service enabled and Yakuake running on startup). This is still far less than Windows or OS X. Additionally, unless your machine really truly does not have enough RAM, using more is frequently better. There are many things in programming where you literally have to pick between RAM heavy or CPU heavy operations. I would far rather the software I use be heavier on the RAM in exchange for being lighter on the CPU for any given task being performed unless I have insufficient RAM to begin with.

Kde it's bloated xfce not that much. But i wouldn't dare to sacrifice the ease of use of xfce just for some eye candy and neither will use something as minimal as jus the window manager and other light weight apps, turns pretty annoying in the long run.

>What do you choose?
MATE because:
-Gahnoum 2 was a comfy
-Lightweight if you want it to be
-Can use fancy effects with compiz if you want it to use them
-Fairy rice-friendly
-Lots of themes, including aesthetic 2004-tier ones

>But i wouldn't dare to sacrifice the ease of use of xfce just for some eye candy
Real users disable all the animations anyways. The only thing my compositor is turned on for is transparency, because I actually find it to be useful/practical to adjust the transparency of a window with keyboard shortcuts. I've tried using Xfce on several occasions, but always find myself going back to KDE.

Since plasma 5 it's IMHO the best looking DE OOTB.

Kde used to be bloated back in the plasma 4 (kde 4) days and i considered it a, while well featured, a heavy environment. It also has a lot to do with how the distro packages it, for example kununtu ships a lot of bullshit by default which is largely related to the project KDE PIM (which includes akonadi). Since i started to use KDE neon my perception changed completely. Neon only ships what is necessary by default takes only around ~400MB at start for me which is a lot less than windows or unity, also it is in general lightweight with the cpu usage and KWIN takes good advantage of the GPU. To this day i definitely consider that plasma 5 is definitely not bloated.

use your distro of choice's minimal plasma 5 metapackage and it's great, less than

Until recently, I was using KDE on a shitty Dell Latitude D620 with a core 2 duo 2GHz processor and 2GB RAM. Ran smoothly.

KDE runs poorly for me on older hardware. I was using swap just to run a browser

This is just with 4 tabs in Sup Forums, if I open youtube it'll take up 1200mb or so

how are you so fucking dumb to conflate the DE with firefox shittery

im pointing it out from a usability perspective on lower end hardware

or 200mb XFCE at boot vs 800mb+ KDE, you autistic prick

install your distro correctly, kde uses 150mb on my shit core 2 duo

You can install other file managers like Dolphin or Caja. You can use whatever file manager tickles your fancy, you dumbass.

For some reason KDE has a reputation for customizability, but it is nowhere near as custimizable and modular as XFCE. I can't do with KDE what I do with XFCE.

By your logic, Debian Stable (Jessie) is riddled with security holes because it uses old software. You're a tard. You have to go back Pajeet.

Use LXQt

wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap

How long you've used vim is not an argument

my issue with XFCE is lightlocker. Full screen videos don't stop the damn screensaver. I disabled it and now I don't have to worry. Of course, I can't lock the screen anymore either. Fuuuck.

Just use xscreensaver, gnome-screensaver, xlock, or slock.

You can use an alternative to lightlocker. What's with all the tards on Sup Forums today?

s-sorry. Been using Xubuntu for a couple years, just only started watching videos on it.

I don't have this issue in Fedora. What distro are you using?

Xubuntu 16.04. It's a known issue with no solution. Just installed xscreensaver instead.

>For some reason KDE has a reputation for customizability, but it is nowhere near as custimizable and modular as XFCE. I can't do with KDE what I do with XFCE.
Care to provide some example? not trying to contradict you, i'm just curious because i feel i can practically change anything on KDE.

>1970+47
>Using a DE

What is Ubuntu's Unity based on? It runs pretty fucking smooth on my shitty laptop.

Also, xfce runs awesomely smooth. It never crashes/lags and has low resource usage.

Stop having this fucking thread every day. Try them out yourself and CHOOSE THE FUCKING SOFTWARE THAT ALLOWS YOU TO BE MOST PRODUCTIVE IN YOUR OWN WAY. STOP ARGUING YOU GODDAMN AUTISTS.

It's Xfce actually. Not XFCE. This thread is full of morons.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xfce

KDE is good out of the box and you can easily change every details.
Xfce can be good but you must rice it to not have eye cancer

/End of thread

Already on latest with that enabled

Already on it. Not helping but looks good.

X Server settings say "Currently synced to display: Unknown" with no option for VSync

>This is still far less than Windows or OS X
My Windows 7 install uses ~180MB and xfce uses 160MB. Stop deluding yourself.

Pale moon doesn't have this problem ;-)

is xfce really deprecated?

No. It had an update not too long ago.

The reason it's development isn't as active, according to it's developers, is that they see it as being generally pretty much mature software.

lol what a bunch of lazy amateur fucks

you never proclaim that for your own software, you wait other people to say that

Those were my words honestly. They essentially said they don't really know what to change/add.

I don't really know either. It's fucking great.

>being this upset that xfce just werks

What does running chrome have to do with the DE? That's chrome behaviour and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as DE resource usage. It's the kernels job to clean up memory.

???
It works as a measure to compare RAM management. Xfce is lightweight and holds all of Chrome's bloat fine but KDE is heavier and still holds it but has more RAM usage because it is heavier and uses ram cache www.linuxatemyram.com/
this guy gets it

Looks bad lol

KDE is literally the worst de on Linux. Xfce is one of the best.

>muh lightweight xfce
>broken widgets
>outdated
>retarded WM
>no configuration
XFECES

>It works as a measure to compare RAM management.
It doesn't. The hell has a DE to do with RAM management? You act like they influence how chrome and co rape your available ram like whores. Even your own link debunks your claim. Seriously, get some more ram you cheap fuck. It only needs around 200MB more than your barebones DE and gives so much more in return that you wouldn't need your useless ramhogs like compton, conky and all the other bloated bash/python scripts you need to have in memory to get basic functionality.

Can you provide specific examples of each of these please? I'm sure the developers would be interested in any problems you have with their software.

Please be as specific as possible.

>Budgie is retro gnome and hogs

Have you tested it at all? in my shitty computer Budgie has a better performance than xfce.

Not him but they ran about the same on my machine. Xfce was better in the end because of it's more matured features. Budgie still needs a lot of time.

>had to use kubuntu with KDE 5 today
>crashed in minutes

Because its fucking sexy. Unlike KDE.

mate im not getting more RAM if what I have works. >The hell has a DE to do with RAM management?
maybe its the entire fucking desktop and the environment where the program runs, just maybe you fucktard.
>It only needs around 200MB more than your barebones DE and gives so much more in return that you wouldn't need your useless ramhogs like compton, conky and all the other bloated bash/python scripts you need to have in memory to get basic functionality.

thats exactly my fucking point you dolt why should my DE consume more than half a GB on boot? XFCE works and does the same thing for half the RAM
It had similar ram usage to GNOME 2 which isn''t bad and its very snappy. I just don't like it that much

>LXQt

Seconded. Eagerly waiting for it to get stable enough to be rolled into Lubuntu, get me off of LXDE.

Although I do everything in a terminal window anyway. Firefox is the only thing I need a bitmap display for, everything else could be done on a VT100.

>Lightweight
If you need resources that badly, while wanting GUI, then there's JWM or LXDE.
>Broken widgets
Technically it's not Xfce devs fault.
Still, for example the weather widget, it's no longer been supported.
Clipman, copying characters like emoji would break it.
>outdated
No significant features were added recently.
For example KDE introduced KDE connect.
Thunar as well haven't seen any improvement recently, and crashes when transferring large files.
>WM
This is application dependent.
Mostly seen with mpv, for example scaling the window and such.
>Configuration
Comparing to other DE, while xfce is highly customizable it lacks basic configuration tools, for example adding a printer, or setting up a joypad.
Although it's the only DE I found that emulate the mouse movement with the joystick d-pad OOTB.

You must understand that many of those issues are not problems with the DE itself right?

I would like to know more about this problem with thunar though. How large of transfers are you doing and are you able to replicate it with regularity? I transfer hundreds of gb all the time without a hiccup so this is new to me.

>maybe its the entire fucking desktop and the environment where the program runs, just maybe you fucktard.
But it doesn't manage anything ram related from thrid party programs. You are the one claiming chrome stats are somehow relevant in a DE comparison. You can start thousands of programs as much as you like and the DE will still not magically consume more ram.
>XFCE works and does the same thing for half the RAM
It doesn't at all, you have to replace many components of it to make it barely comparable to kde. windowmanager,filemanager, panel and quicklauncher. Also you have to let some mail programs running in the background to get some sort of notification that you got mail, some shared calender functionality is of course also missing in xfce so you have to run a separate program for that too. All this is somehow standard in kde with just a shy amount of 200MB more than your "fully functional" DE.

Are you one of the devs?
>thunar
I can reproduce it 98% of the time, mainly happens when the number of files is over 100 and involves external storage media.
I thought maybe the device went to sleep, though it was USB flash drive but it wasn't the case.