codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
[Gist] backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/ (embed)
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/ (embed)

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS (embed)
pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE (embed)

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/queries-limit.html
pastebin.com/s4T8m6Pe
pastebin.com/qzX6QtSy
edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x
coursera.org/learn/algorithms-part1
coursera.org/specializations/algorithms
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

This will give you your wished JSON. But it's a pleb tier solution that I just threw together.

$res = $stm->fetchAll(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);
foreach($res as $data) {
$items[] = sprintf("%d", $data['ID_RequestItems']);
$id = $data['ID_ReplacementOrders'];
}
$json = '{"order_id": "'.$id.'", "item_num": '.json_encode($items).'}';

I inherited the shittiest Ruby on Rails application ever.
The goal is to let users upload data and plot it.

They can upload the data in (x,y) pairs as follows:

[x1 y1; x2 y2; x3 y3; ... xn yn]

These points get stored in `@values` as shown:

`
@values = @data.split(";",-1)
@values.each do |value|
value.strip!
if !value.match(/\A\d+\.?\d*[eE]?[+-]?\d*\s+\d+\.?\d*[eE]?[+-]?\d*\z/)
add_data_values_error
end
`

That regular expression should accept numbers written in scientific notation or regular numbers, and reject other stuff. When I test that regex in online Ruby regex evaluators, it works exactly as expected.

However, in the actual application, it does not. In particular, the x values can NOT be written in scientific notation without causing an error (but the y values work just fine).

Can anyone help me figure out what the fuck is going wrong?

Is your code tasty /wdg/?

It tastes like linguine

>linguine

What does the \A and \z do?

Is postgres a meme?

Also try to use non greedy operators and grouping them if its possible in Ruby

HELLO THIS RASHVI FROM ACCOMODATE HIRING COMPANY, WE HAVE AND URIGENT NEED FOR DEVELOP IN {$closecityamericanman} THAT PAY 190,0000 AMERICAN RUPEE PER YEAR. PLEASE SEND NEW RESUME, LINKEDIN, WORK SAMPLE. GOOD THANKS.

Hi, I'm Postgres, you might remember me from "I don't allow LIMIT without some strange workaround subquery hack lol" or "Let's just call it a TEXT"

Pajeet, you have to use double quotes

Is MongoDB any better?

Never used it because I heard it's not reliable.

So if you don't don't give a shit if things work or not then it might be good.

What do you have against mysql?

We need to build a faraday cage covering all of india.

Not OP, but i indeed was asking for MongoDB

I've seen some MEAN stack jobs in my area, that's why.

mysql is ok,

postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/queries-limit.html

There are some. Expect mongo to go the way of rails and django. No harm in learning it though.

How do I go from junior dev to mid-level?

Just apply everywhere?

Do mobile applications need some kind of special server or something? Can I just get some normal shared or VPS from bluehost or whatever and use that?

Yes, just be careful with the data limits

network idk

good like climbing any ladders without a degree

you'll still be a jr. dev 5 years from now

What's the consensus on using tags? I'm writing babby's first webpage for an intro class, and the professor said not to use tags too much if at all, but it seems like my assignment needs me to use them to match the formatting.

Q: What do you call an ape who loves pie?
A: A meringue-utan.
- Vickie K.

Has anyone had any fun with polymer?

you can just wrap each line in p tags for the same effect

is a think pad with i5 / 8gb ram plenty of power for doing web dev?

Quick question for /wdg/:

How would one establish which js function and therefore which file is associated with a certain onclick() or other event? I'm trying to debug my browsing experience. Pic related.

>you'll still be a jr. dev 5 years from now
Bullshit.

above the standard, actually

Postgres is awesome. If you don't have money for a database, that's the go-to.

Kind of shit documentation though.

MongoDB is worse than nothing. I'd rather just not program anything.

Is there any future for self taught nigs like me in this industry?
I have some college units but never finished.

I've seen self taught people become senior devs in a year or two in rare circumstances

of course after your first job degree doesn't matter

Node makes me want to shoot myself.

I've tried the barebones Express way, and I'm currently trying the relatively full stack way via stuff like Meteor/Sails and I just can't wrap my head around it outside of some tutorials. There's like fifty different and incompatible ways for doing the same exact thing and it's driving me up a wall. How do you Node devs actually do anything with this?

That's not a fair comparison. Django and Rails actually work like they should.

i want to change the ui dinamically, when the user selects it: show different text, buttons and vieo windows in a particular div. i've looked into angular and apparently it does exactly that, but i'd like not to add another dependency if possible since i'm already using jquery and bootstrap and others. is there any best practice to change the ui manually? thanks for any help

tl;dr alternative to angular?

>
>
which should i use?

are new lines
are paragraphs

Paragraphs may or may not have margins, new lines are just new lines.

you're such a giant fucking faggot

>your password can only contain alpha numeric characters
explain yourselves web "developers"

the article tag, obviously

never seen that before, maybe a shitty attempt at preventing sql injection / validation?

pass 'this' to the function

there's a tag specifically for that

don't use br tags, if you want to break the paragraph up use a new p tag; br is only used for styling these days

that question makes no sense what do you mean mobile apps as in native ios / andriod apps? no the company hosts the app other than the api they might use

if you mean regular web app then yeah clearly, and you would be a cunt to use a regular host

you might as well use ftp and php while you're at it

>native ios / andriod apps? no the company hosts the app other than the api they might use

Wrong

What is some js tutorial that assumes I already know what are basic programming things like variables, loops arrays etc

Javascript newbie here. What do you think this is:
pastebin.com/s4T8m6Pe
pastebin.com/qzX6QtSy

The second link are just the referenced arrays I guess.

many-to-many
return Course::where('id', $id)->tasks->get();
this doesn't work, nor tasks()->get();
how do?
this is laravel

I think ..->tasks()->.. should work but I'm just fucking up somewhere else.
I'm trying to bring them to my vue thingy with
axios.get('/task/4').then(response => console.log(response.data)).catch(error=>console.log(error));
but I get error 500

Can I really do most of web dev in Java or will I end up in Javascript eventually.

return Course::find($id)->tasks()->get();
worked like this...

I need some help.
Not good with SQL and very confused.
But I have a table which contains information as digits that I use as ids to other tables that hold their "names or meanings" along with that I have the need to get stuff from other tables and match it up by ids.
When I do my query, I get so many duplicates and odd combinations of the stuff I just wanted from start. What gives?

If you want to keep a domain name forever. Is it safe to use a .one domain?

Because they have the three letters of my initials.

Could you be clearer?
Can you post the definitions of your tables, your query, what you got, and what you expected?

You can do most. You should still learn JavaScript, even if you just want to make some functions that validates input or similar.

Personally I find the documentation to be rather good. What about it is it that you don't like?

I have 5 tables.
History
Info
Genre
Watcher
Role

table History has the following columns
history_id(int), date(Date), text(varchar), genre(int),info(int),watcher(int),role(int),active(bool)

table Info has the following columns
info_id(int), text(varchar)

table Genre has the following columns
genre_id(int), genre_title(varchar)

table Watcher has the following columns
watcher_id(int), watcher_firstname(varchar),watcher_lastname(varchar), role(int)

table Role has the following columns
role_id(int), role_name(varchar), active(bool)

What I want to do is make a query where I grab
Everything from the history and link onto the other stuff that it holds to, as in if I wanted to know the genre, right now I see only a digit but that digit represents the same digit at the genre table which has the text.

Give me a few minutes, and I'll set something up.

Stupid question:
Is removing the theme copyright thing on a wordpress site a good idea? Bad? What's the standard norm on this?

Copyright laws do not force you to credit anyone. You either have permission to use it or you don't, unless agreed upon on otherwise.

So in general, if they give people permission to use their theme and edit it, then you can just remove it. Unless it's licensed under a GPL or creative commons license, which is an agreement which requires attribution.

I think you mean foreign keys and you might want to look into LEFT JOIN and GROUP BY.

I know of foreign keys but I don't use them nor do I want to use them. It's a hassle to cascade

Seriously post a screenshot or something because we need to see your table structure if you want help.

I have stated the structure as above.

What's the licence on the theme?
Some licences do not require attribution, some do.

So you're this guy ?

Let's start by just doing two tables first:
CREATE DATABASE
postgres=# \c gmovies; ^
gmovies=# create table history (id int constraint pk primary key, date date, text varchar(2048), genre int, info int, watcher int, role int, active boolean);
CREATE TABLE
gmovies=# insert into history(id, date, text, genre, info, watcher, role, active)
gmovies-# values(1, '2017-12-23', 'A nightmare before grav-mass', 1, 1, 1, 1, true);
INSERT 0 1
gmovies=# select * from history;
id | date | text | genre | info | watcher | role | active
----+------------+------------------------------+-------+------+---------+------+--------
1 | 2017-12-23 | A nightmare before grav-mass | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | t
(1 row)

So that takes care of our first table, with just one fictitious (but free as in freedom, and respectful of the viewers freedoms) movie.

Now we move on to the information:

gmovies=# create table info (id int constraint pk_info primary key, text varchar(2048));
CREATE TABLE
gmovies=# insert into info(1, 'A terrible tale of the Non-Free spirit of user enslavement, as told by acclaimed director Richard "Maestro" Stallman');
ERROR: syntax error at or near "1"
LINE 1: insert into info(1, 'A terrible tale of the Non-Free spirit ...
^
gmovies=# insert into info(id, text) values (1, 'A terrible tale of the Non-Free spirit of user enslavement, as told by acclaimed director Richard "Maestro" Stallman');
INSERT 0 1
gmovies=#

What we want to do, is to grab movie #1, and join any row from info, where history.info matches info.id.

gmovies=# select * from
gmovies-# history inner join info on (history.info = info.id);
gmovies=#

I have omitted the output, because it's massive.

Next we'll do the other tables.

Yeah.

GPL V3

What's with all these people asking for help on SQL queries lately ?
Why not use an orm and not break a sweat

Learn more shit that senior devs know

t. junior to senior to lead in 3 years

>Why not use an orm and not break a sweat
I am dealing with some old stuff and the place doesn't want to phase out it to new stuff. So basically I am stuck "relearning" stuff I should have paid attention to before...

Complex queries in ORM can be even worse unless they support raw SQL which is weak shit

Alright guys, great looking general landing page, but for the noobs that show up: What does /wdg/ stand for? Are they supposed to guess it's "web development general"?

Because people are learning the underlying technologies to deal with this shit.

They're supposed to git gud.

Is golang great for webdev or just a meme

well shit good luck homie

are there performance advantages to express complexity on the db rather than on the application lvl ie in doing complex queries rather than fetching lots of tuples you'd filter out in the application ?

meme
java is the king

Spitballing, but instead of building people up we should tear them down so they don't compete for our jobs right? Plus we need bad developers out there to make meme fuel. You've convinced me.

Let's just create the rest of the tables:
CREATE TABLE
gmovies=# insert into genre (id, title)
gmovies-# values(1, 'Abject Horror');
INSERT 0 1
gmovies=# create table watcher(id int constraint pk_watcher primary key, firstname varchar(127), lastname varchar(127), role int);
CREATE TABLE
gmovies=# insert into watcher(id, firstname, lastname)
gmovies-# values(1, 'Terry', 'Davis');
INSERT 0 1
gmovies=# create table role(id int constraint pk_role primary key, name varchar(127), active boolean);
CREATE TABLE
gmovies=# insert into role(id, name, active)
gmovies-# values(1, 'Teaching kids about freedom', true);
INSERT 0 1
gmovies=# select * from history inner join info on (history.info = info.id) inner join genre on (history.genre = genre.id) inner join watcher on (history.watcher = watcher.id) inner join role on (history.role = role.id);
gmovies=# select * from
history inner join info on (history.info = info.id) inner join genre on (history.genre = genre.id) inner join watcher on (history.watcher = watcher.id) inner join role on (history.role = role.id);

Of course, the last select is a terrible fucking mess.
It's full of 1, 1,1, ... and we don't want that.
So let's just query out the specific things we want:

SELECT history.text as 'text',
history.date as 'date',
genre.title as 'title',
info.text as 'info',
watcher.firstname || ' ' || watcher.lastname as name,
role.name as role
FROM history inner join info on (history.info = info.id)
inner join genre on (history.genre = genre.id)
inner join watcher on (history.watcher = watcher.id)
inner join role on (history.role = role.id);

And you get all the information you want.
Note that the command to concatenate (or stick strings together) varies from database to database.

front end is cancer.
enjoy your dead end, dorks

I'm the same guy that's helping our friend out with his SQL queries.
I'm all for helping people, but they have to be thought initiative and independence, and not just spoonfeeding. It's a balancing act, and you know it.

Oh fuck me, remove the single quotes from the as clauses, they shouldn't be there.

My bad.
Anyway, see and for help with your troubles.

the advantage of mongo has to do with scalability

the drawback of mongo is you have to batch your transactions it cant magically take simultaneous inputs from a billion concurrent users which is literally the only valid criticism of mongo.

What did he mean by this

means he's shit at design, nothing new.

If you can't use SQL you shouldn't work with databases. ORM should not be a reason to not know SQL.

don't worry i studied it, i just can't see a reason to directly use it except to define schemas or do maintenance

Submit
how do I clear the input field on button click?
vuejs

got it myself..
value="answer" />
and changed the value in checkAswer

if someone gets a job as a jr dev and 5 years later they are still a jr dev then thats on them. How you wouldnt learn and gain good experience is beyond me. Unless youre just a front end babby or just update the content of wordpress sites or something.

what are you talking about, apple hosts the application for you

uh, because SQL is one of the most important things to know. It's easy to get, hard to master.

At what point do you have too large a dataset to comfortably store it in an SQL database?

Google's moneymaker, its adsense stuff, runs on MariaDB. If it can handle google's scale, it can handle your reactive webscale fizzbuzz 2.0 webapp.

I am building a curriculum for web dev and want to knock out foundational stuff before I start fucking with projects.

I want to prove to myself I am at least capable of the basic theory/math behind what I'm doing. Can anyone recommend resources for a solid background? Currently I'm looking at

edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x

coursera.org/learn/algorithms-part1

coursera.org/specializations/algorithms

What shit do I need to make sure I have covered so I'm not backtracking too much in the future? Just want a solid foundation for anything that may come my way in the full stack

Would anyone be interested in a learning livestream?

>orm
you could start with that yes, but once you get a big enough DB schema and data, performance will suffer
besides, most of the times, you can accomplish stuff much faster with a connection pool and basic statements, its just a matter of knowing what your doing

is webdev a bad career for creative people?

microsoft excel makes me sick but I love design and shit. Is there a place for me in full stack dev?

>microsoft
>excel
>design

no idea how you got to full stack from that list. I dont think you know what real development is

Web dev is a great career for creative people.

You get to go home and build cool things.

tell me in five or more words what "real development" is