Why don't we push for a moon base first instead of memeing with the almost impossible (for now) mars?

Why don't we push for a moon base first instead of memeing with the almost impossible (for now) mars?

It seems "easily" achievable right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com
popsci.com/blog-network/vintage-space/apollo-rocketed-through-van-allen-belts#page-4
youtube.com/watch?v=NlXG0REiVzE
youtube.com/watch?v=lNiscigIgBc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no mineable resources on the moon. not worth it to corporate funders.

People would wanna mine helium.

There would be disputes over who owns the mined helium.

Possible war.

We already got a bunch on the moon

Check the craters

Yeah, I had a dream about it once. Looking back at it, it doesn't seem too far-fetched

In the dream it was Apple who built it for some reason (lol) and they called it the iBase

I, along with two other people, won a contest to be the first people to visit it after it was complete, and Ashton Kutcher was our guide. It wasn't really a "Base" so to speak, more like a vacation resort hotel thing. We had to ride a rocket to get there which was scary but once we got there it was comfy, everything was quit and peaceful in the base. There were plants inside, and the only sound was coming from a big decorative fountain. And there was a glass ceiling so we could see the stars and earth. I want this to happen in my life time

aeiou?

You will never die of explosive decompression whilst serving one of the megacorps in the lunar wars

Why even live?

Fucking this. If I'd have to die anyway that would be an epic way to go

Jon Madden

So we are going to mine mars then?

brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrb
brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrb
football

>implying an international moon village isn't the way to go

> No atmosphere (radiation)
> Glass like soil (will damage everything)
> Day/Nigh cycle is 28 days
> Too close to earth to be independent

>> No atmosphere (radiation)
Problem easily solved by burying the buildings or straight up building underground.

>> Glass like soil (will damage everything)
Yeah i bet we don't have metals hard enough for that....

>> Day/Nigh cycle is 28 days
And...?

>> Too close to earth to be independent
What the fuck are you talking about? Why would you want it to be "independent".

You do know the moon is just one gigantic dust ball held together by prayers and gravity?

And that there are tiny earthquakes that occur monthly as it pulls the tides in and out?

Drilling in to the surface would be like drilling in to a gigantic stale marshmellow.

You do realize that there's access to underground lava chambers on the moon, right?

Gravity would make extended stay difficult. It would be like being on the iss. You can't stay very long. And the moon is too far to switch people out all the time

My moonbase alpha nigga

Because of radiation's effect on the human body

We never put people on the moon, educate yourselves

youtube.com

forget the moon and mars! the asteroid belt is where it's at...
-easily accessible materials for mining and survival (nickel-iron asteroids, cometary ice)
-HALF the energy expenditure from travel
-half the required craft needs, as there will be no landing & take-off from a gravity well
-better for early warning of rogue comet or planet, not to mention alien invasion (jk, there are no aliens)

Because aliens live there

From a business point of view the asteroid belt certainly is a better idea. Small problem of bringing the materials back to Earth but if you can set up factories in orbit to process then we can just use the materials for space construction.

yep, i dream of orbital refineries. plus, if you wanted to stay out there, there's this way to create nickel-iron 'bubbles' for habitats...

The fact that (you) don't already know why is an indication that ((you)) are far too ignorant on the topic to have an interesting conversation with.

Spend an evening with google, try search strings like "permanent manned moon base feasibility" and come back after (((you)))'ve educated ((((you))))rself enough to be worth our time.

>tfw will never get to leave my home world
honestly feels bad lads. If I was a girl I could fuck my way onto the mars mission

>If I was a girl I could fuck my way onto the mars mission

No. You could not. Nobody is that cute and fucks that well.

Maybe in 100 or 200 years. Right now, nobody involved in space exploration can afford to depend on someone as stupid as you. Competent, gifted professionals only make it right now.

If you had about $100 billion you might be able to buy your way along as a tourist. Chances are you'd have an "accident" the first time you did something retarded.

We will. At least we will need to if we ever want to make Mars trips affordable.
Making a refueling station on the moon ( using the abundant ice that we can find the craters to make fuel ) is a necessary step to make Mars trips cheaper and accessible.
Making a straight trip from Earth to Mars taking everything with you is way too expensive.

>underestimating mans need to fuck
>implying there isn't a NASA program designed to find the perfect astronaut slut

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

Why would we want a moon base? There's no natives to enslave.

Learn from history.

Mars has more potential since it can actually hold an atmosphere.

>Nobody is that cute and fucks that well.
No, the problem isn't that but that thousands of other girls will be trying to fuck their way onto the mars mission too. It's a problem of competition, you need to be the best at fucking to get onto that mars mission.
The idea canditate for the mars mission is a woman that fucks everyone and everyone thinks that she's only slept with them.

>implying niggers wouldn't ruin it again like on earth

hold on we need to legalize weed on the moon before we build any base on it

Misquoted...

It can't hold anything close to a breathable atmosphere so it's as good as nothing.

We will have a moon base before a Mars base, or at least a orbital refuelling base. Building a Mars base without either would be too damn expensive.

Isn't the large majority of fuel spent leaving earth? The complexity/fuel usage of stopping at the moon is not even close to worth it when you're not using much extra fuel to just go all the way to mars.

>implying there's not a huge US military base there already

Only the top surface layer is dust. The dust is incredibly fine and abrasive, like liquid sandpaper.
Vacuum cleaners would be a neccessity.

Well the logistics of a return trip from the moon have already been worked out, it's a bit of a different story when your lauch windows are orders of magnitude smaller for both trips.

You would need to leave Earth with enough fuel to leave Earth atmosphere and then leave Mars's atmosphere.
You could cut the amount of fuel needed at launch by more than half if you had a refuelling station.

One word: Van Allen belt
/thread

We didn't go there and if we did, the astronauts would be cancerous.

thats three words, three words which perhaps you need to re-Wikipedia, you're wrong

Because shits expensive yo

but if we legalized weed on the moon the sales from weed would pay for the base

>A radiation belt is a zone of energetic charged particles...
I hope you remembered to bring concrete or lead to upper orbit or else you are toast.

Sales? Sales from imaginary weed sellers, selling weed to imaginary pot heads?

or just don't fucking loiter

>51 hours and 49 minutes
Better bring a geiger counter for those loitering hours.

popsci.com/blog-network/vintage-space/apollo-rocketed-through-van-allen-belts#page-4
>"To monitor radiation exposure during the flights, Apollo crews carried dosimeters on board their spacecraft and on their persons. And these readings confirmed NASA had made a good choice. At the end of the program, the agency determined that its astronauts had avoided the large radiation doses many feared would ground flights to the Moon. Over the course of the lunar missions, astronauts were exposed to doses lower than the yearly 5 rem average experienced by workers with the Atomic Energy Commission who regularly deal with radioactive materials. And in no case did any astronaut experience any debilitating medical or biological effects. "
Ok

Radiation isn't actually that dangerous.

Phew lad: youtube.com/watch?v=NlXG0REiVzE
>extreme radiation
>first flight will be unmanned
>will only have measuring equipment

NASA at hard work debunking themselves.

It's literally a belt, you can go around it, kind of. The autist in your youtube video (since you don't read) was just explaining in simple terms what they're doing on their test flights, and scary wavy lines is the hot new way of doing that on youtube i guess. I'm admitedly not familiar with he etails of this orion testflight, but im guessing they're be going straight into the belt as opposed to around to test the tlimits of their shielding.

If you use a youtube video to back up your argument you automatically lose.

(you) LITERALLY get around the belts by going through the tubes

> t. some guy in a vidya said so

(you) have so much science that I'm getting tired of all the science

>this is what basement dwellers actually believe

He works on navigation and guidance for Orion.

>video poster is so lazy he just puts annotations to make his points
It's hard to tell because he is just making a shitty diagram on perspex but the orbit they are using for the test is not anything like the trajectory used by Apollo to pass through the Van Allen belts, which would mean that the Orion is going to be exposed to far greater radiation than Apollo was.
youtube.com/watch?v=lNiscigIgBc

>shitty annotation "why dont they use the same shielding they used back in 69?"
Because if you paid any attention and know anything about technology you would know that microprocessors weren't on Apollo and are much more sensitive to things like radiation than the old systems they used back then. And the host literally just mentioned the problem for the computer systems.

lol who would want to live on the moon? it's not hospitable at all, and you see all of those craters? those are all impacts from meteors on account that it doesn't have an atmosphere.

well eventually, yea

>you can go around it
>thinking that you can freely fly around like in a plane

Space doesn't even work like that retard. It's more like a catapult.

A U S T R I A
U
S
T
R
I
A

First trip/s to Mars will be one-way. Maybe later they can send a ship carrying fuel for a return journey but anyone going to Mars right now knows they aren't coming back for decades, if ever.

>microprocessors weren't on Apollo and are much more sensitive to things like radiation than the old systems they used back then.
Funny story about that... The US laughed their asses off at first when they finally got hold of some Russian MiG's, because the electronics in them were still vacuum tube long after the transistors had taken over everywhere else...

Until they realized how much more vulnerable the US aircraft were to EMP attack.

I think you meant...why don't we establish under water bases for when the sun goes apeshit and trys to burn mother earth to embers.

One word: Retard

You'd need to sit in the Van Allen belt naked, outside a ship for a good 15 minutes to reach lethal rem.

Passing through them in a space ship is not only faster than that, but you also sort of have shielding, crazy huh?

Because the ocean isn't going to fucking save you at that point

If ever is more likely

Radiation, storm dooms, yada yada big red blood planet.

Why don't we build a city in Antarctica? Or on the floor of the ocean? Both are more reasonable options than Moon and Mars bases.

I don't think it'll be that sudden

With proper decontamination procedures the dust could be confined to staggered airlocks at the service entrances of underground facilities.

Moontruther scum.. What are you doing on my Sup Forums?

Exterior airlocks would have to be on a heavy maintenance cycle. Maybe a high-pressure air wash would help flush some dust back out of the system? Or a submersion system where the entire lock is sprayed down or partially filled with water to sweep away most of the airborn and particulate matter trapped on pressure suits. Silt traps and filters could be used to clean the water - the less moving parts the better.

He3 dude.

Because everyone is retarded. Moonbase is our first step towards colonizing the stars and everyone is dragging their feet. There's nothing worth going to Mars for, it can't be terraformed. The atmosphere is too thin to support liquid water, and if we attempt to thicken the atmosphere by nuking the polar ice caps, it'll just get stripped away by the solar wind because the planet has no magnetic field. The only possible use for Mars would be either using it for mining/manufacturing since it's close to the asteroid belt, at least until we want to head to Jupiter, which quite frankly is madness until we have faster engines or engines that don't require fuel.

If we had more advanced tech, we could continually slam small moons and asteroids into Mars until it re-liquefies and maybe get a magnetic field and higher gravity going, but that's just wishful thinking. Venus is even worse unless we figure out how to make floating cities to live in the upper atmosphere or set up a screen to block the sun so it cools down and the atmosphere thins out to tolerable levels. Although if we really put our minds to it, it might be possible to seed Venus with bacteria that could terraform it, since there is liquid on the surface. But good luck convincing the scientists that it is ethically OK to try it.

"Mining the Skies" (a book) I flipped through for a college composition paper says there is enough wealth in the asteroid belt to give each human on Earth $1,000,000,000,000 if it were to be divided evenly. In terms of corporate interest the asteroid belt it where it's at

Is there an engine that works like that games t2s worked?

>if it were to be divided evenly among each human

lol. imagine how much money it would give to 2,043 people if divided evenly. Current number of billionaires in the world.

Because we need to actually set foot on it first which we never did

I don't like speaking in absolutes but I wager the economy of scarcity would not allow us to exploit the abundance of natural resources in space for any extended period of time.

Once we have self sustained colonies offworld they are likely to form their own alliances and have their own pressures driving growth. Interesting idea is who polices these people when it takes months to travel cosmically irrelevant distances.

host a data center on the moon
instant gigabux

Fuck Trump and fight all white people

Using Mars atmosphere and water you can make rocket fuel. Much harder to do that on Luna. Also there is no life on the moon.

Moon has a few resources, thousands of meteor and asteroid impacts means it's probably abundant with iron and other metals.

Moon is already taken by Greys.
Mars is free, byt it is wasteland, useless imo.

Not to mention that moon dust could be used for making solar panels and the gravity is low enough to launch ship parts much more cheaply than could be done from Earth. It's a prime location for building space colonies or interplanetary ships.

you do realize nobody ever stepped on the moon right? That's why they """won't""" do it again.

Also the one who will colonize Mars first are the damned Arabs ffs. Meanwhile we scrapped our shuttles and switch the money from NASA to fighting """terrorism""" in the middle east. wtf?

What is laser based ground to sky uplink/downlink gonna be like? Last figures I saw were something like 400Mbps from topsoil to the ISS with that LLCD NASA's been chooching with.

Trying to rustle jimmies like it's ninetyleven.

>no arguments

thought so

nuffin to argue bout cuzzin. we talkin bout the moon in here, not your worldview. xoxo

whatever makes you sleep better at night sweetie :)

f o o t b a l l

>ywn never have an existential crisis brought on by the vast emptiness of space and wander out into the lunar wilderness and remove your helmet knowing you going to die anyway as a result of constant exposure to cosmic radiation

>this thread

The purpose of colonizing Mars is an investment in the future of our species. A moon base does not serve that function as if earth were to be fucked so would the moon.

shuttles were fake bro
an airplane can't fly in space, even a middle schooler knows that

What are the benefits of a moon base? "It's just like my sci-fi xD" is not a benefit.

Will you host the darknet on the dark side of the moon?

you are stupid

gtfo

Great book. Read it a few years ago.

There are more metals in a single metalic asteroid than all of the metal mined by humanity since the Iron Age.

>he thinks humans have ever been in space and survived