Tech book thread

Tech book thread
Have you done all problems from this glorious book without online help?
How much time did it take for you?
This and some great books are minimal requirement to
>become good at programming
>become good at combinatorics problem
solving
>become a better software developer
>actually able to develop software yourself
>get hired at any company
>make your own software company
I will post more books. Lets keep it original and simple.

Other urls found in this thread:

cs.cmu.edu/~213/schedule.html
csapp.cs.cmu.edu/
functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/
parallel-algorithms-book.com/
papl.cs.brown.edu/2016/
cs.brown.edu/courses/cs173/2012/book/index.html
aristeia.com/books.html
web.stanford.edu/class/cs106l/
web.stanford.edu/class/cs106l/handouts/full_course_reader.pdf
15721.courses.cs.cmu.edu/spring2017/schedule.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how about you kill yourself and stop talking about this faggot shit that has literally nothing to do with technology.
much better idea

I can't understand your problem.

gr8 b8 m8

I like Algorithms in C more desu, it's practical

K&R is outdated, hard to read, and teaches bad practices.

No this isn't bait. It's shit by modern standards.

Pic related if you want to intimately understand how software works. It can be a tough read though, definitely not for beginners.

It's still the best resource for learning C.

I learnt from C Programming: A Modern Approach which is written with clarity in mind.

>864 pages
That can't be right.

My apologies, I didn't realize I was talking to a modern code-artisan. You're absolutely right, why would anyone read a manual written by the inventor when they could buy a 100 dollar textbook written by some professor.

why no SICP?

This book sometimes is much better than online C resources

>why would anyone read a manual written by the inventor when they could buy a 100 dollar textbook written by some professor.
I haven't read the book in question, and you may well be right in this case, but asserting that the person who made something is always the best person to document it is bullshit.

How so? What does it talk about?

"How software works" doesn't mean much to me, since it could refer to anything from EE-tier "how your program becomes machine code and how this code is executed by the logic gates on the ALU" to meme-tier software design approaches.

that's because it is. Just make sure you read a book such as Secure Coding in C and C++ afterward.

currently grinding through this book before i begin SICP

It's not hard to read at all( it has around 270 pages), you need just to put more effort into it.Even Bjarne Stroustrup admited in a interview that K&r c is one of his favorite cs books.I think a lot of professionals who jump in learning C they don't know what to expect from a small 270p terse book so after they get impeded in the details of the book they search for other resources for learning c and qualify K&r as being 'hard to read' and unuseful
SICP is God-Tier.

>>>/reddit/

reading pic related right now. Man, I studied psychology as an undergrad, and now I'm realizing I really should have done Math/Physics/Electronic Engineering. Not because of money issues, it's just that I really enjoy all these math-filled theories. Psychology is just a big sack of bullshit.

>Man, I studied psychology as an undergrad, and now I'm realizing [...] psychology is just a big sack of bullshit.
Nice. But did you really think everyone was being ironic when they were saying it's a meme degree?

lol I don't know, I just wasn't exposed to a lot of science subjects in middle school and high-school. I was always more into humanistic stuff, history and literature and all that.

Whatever, nothing I can do now, except study as much as I can in my spare time.

Fair enough. Well enjoy, sounds like you have a lot of interesting things to learn.

What's the equivilent of 'The C programming language" for cpp, I'm currently going through "a tour of cpp" but not liking it as much

isn't the actual equivalent book thousands of pages?

What is the C++ version of this book?

Thinking in c++

how's 'problem solving in c++' I have a copy lying around

are those a meme?

What about "The C++ Programming Language"

Is it good or is it a meme?

Trying to get through SCIP it's pretty tough especially doing all the exercises. I skipped through some at the start but at some point it's the only way you'll understand. Currently on exercise 1.9 where you have to count all the possible combinations of change for a dollar.

Also reading Beautiful Code which was recommended by a friend.

Books: stackoverflow.com/a/1713/773263

I don't believe there's a single human bean who read all of those books

Just got this and it's pretty cool. Are there anymore recommendations like it or any books similar to this one?

what exactly is it about?

Seconding this, would also like to know.

There's a whole course for it here w/lectures
cs.cmu.edu/~213/schedule.html (click on old video, new one's are behind logins)

>not being able to google and read TOC
csapp.cs.cmu.edu/

It's possible for a typical grad student to read that much since half the book will be review usually and can be skipped once you get to that level. An average of 300 papers per month too on top of books is what a typical grad will do.

Of this list functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/ the free draft from parallel-algorithms-book.com/ is really good.

>get hired at any company
>make your own software company

So how's your successful company going?

I can't imagine your pipeline is exactly brimming since you're posting shit on Sup Forums

There's a sequel for it PAPL
papl.cs.brown.edu/2016/

Both teach a typed discipline of programming so they make sense. PAPL uses Pyret some weird Racket DSL w/Python syntax. The orig sequel is PLAI still done in Racket but being subsumbed by PAPL cs.brown.edu/courses/cs173/2012/book/index.html

One of this guy's books aristeia.com/books.html I learned from Effective C++ it's still relevant

>An average of 300 papers per month
So that's the reason why they seem to know everything but can't really apply any of it

I have effective C++, do you think its actually a good intro to cpp if I already know C?

it looked more like something that you read if you already 'know' cpp

it looks like a typical intro to cs, but the pick of the topics is kinda odd

There's also this stanford course
web.stanford.edu/class/cs106l/

Click on 'Course Reader' its a 522 page pdf on how to program in C++ web.stanford.edu/class/cs106l/handouts/full_course_reader.pdf

Use libgen.io to grab all of books and skim through them to see if you want to read them, then buy a copy if you want (save your eyes from staring at shitty fonts)

thanks for your advice

I just bought this book in January, at the start of the semester.

I want to do all the problems in the book, but with all the projects assigned from this class, plus all my other classes, I haven't had time.

I know I need to do them. My programming style is atrocious, though it's good enough to complete the assignments and get an A.

I'll tackle them during summer break.

>web.stanford.edu/class/cs106l/handouts/full_course_reader.pdf
>teaching stl before OOP parts of C++
This is the correct way.

The sequel to something like that would be advanced database course or an operating systems course 15721.courses.cs.cmu.edu/spring2017/schedule.html

What is the best ARM 32-bit Linux Assembly learning book? better if there're many examples, if not it's still fine as long as it's good learning material.

favorite book for Java?

java by dietel? That's the one my school used but I honestly hated it. Turns out my friend's uni in canada used the C++ version

>An average of 300 papers per month too on top of books is what a typical grad will do.
confirmed never worked with a grad student

Does anyone has some recomendations for robotic books or low level oriented software?

Kernel, compilers, microcontrollers, etc...

pic related is pretty good for learning Python, and that guy has a bunch of really cool, more advanced books on Digital Signal Processing, Bayesian stats, regular stats, complexity and other stuff. All free on genesis lib

hurr durr, I'm such a dummy

bluej