What's the best easy to use, cross platform, scripting language? I'm looking at Python or Ruby right now...

What's the best easy to use, cross platform, scripting language? I'm looking at Python or Ruby right now. Do you Sup Forumsuys know anything that would be better?

>pic related

You should use Python. it's quick, easy, and unlike Ruby it works at scale.

PHP

JavaScript or Lua

i dont like that

how do you even get javascript to run as a native scripting langauge

fucking disgusting man

bump

If your problem can be solved by a shell script I'd just use a shell script.

Scripting isn't "at scale" anyway, so OP should just use whichever he prefers working with. Besides, both are slow as shit (slower than strictly necessary given modern compiler design for dynamic languages) and the solution for scaling either is exactly the same, spinning up more instances.

It's bloody useless for scripting. It's as poorly designed as Python, but doesn't have nearly as many useful libraries outside of web development.

With Node.js. It's actually pretty decent, if you use ES6. I'd say it's underrated for scripting but overrated for big applications.

Python has the same scaling problems that Ruby has. Neither should be used for web services. But this is a thread about scripting, so...

>If your problem can be solved by a shell script I'd just use a shell script.
I can't use a shell script

>With Node.js. It's actually pretty decent, if you use ES6. I'd say it's underrated for scripting but overrated for big applications.
Do you know how to get started with all of this, never used Node before

Scripting language for what? What do you want to do?

> I can't use a shell script

Then get off this board and kill yourself. This board is for GNU/Linux users.

If I'm running a 3-tier web app that needs to expand and contract i'm using Python every time over Ruby. uwsgi is an industry standard. Django is the framework for some of the most massive applications out there. Also Python compiles down to byte code whereas ruby does not. Python also has the ability to leverage event loop libs written in C and last I checked Ruby's cool.io is a piece of garbage.

sure if it's just config management then it doesn't matter what you choose.

I just need to throw something together to manage multiple instances of the same type of application, with config files for each instance

you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Flask? Django? Bottle? SQLAlchemy? there are Python modules for every possible component of a web application

You first, kiddo.

you are the best person I've ever met

have you looked at salt? If you wanna use Ruby look at Chef. These are tools specifically made for what you wanna do. If you wanna use Python try ansible. tons of options.

sorry for the delay user. Those look pretty good. I'll have a look at them thanks

>uwsgi is an industry standard.
It's a Python-specific library, not an industry standard. Most languages has this.

>Django is the framework for some of the most massive applications out there
The same can be said about RoR. Both are terrible choices.

>Also Python compiles down to byte code whereas ruby does not.
So does Ruby. Nobody uses AST-walking interpreters any more.

>Python also has the ability to leverage event loop libs written in C
So does Ruby. I don't know what Ruby uses for event-driven programming these days, but there's no reason why it can't make use of C libraries for it.

I don't like either of them, and I dislike their respective fanboys even more. There are better languages for massive applications, and besides, this is a scripting thread, not an application thread.

Sounds like a prefect job for shell scripts, if you don't want to use a dedicated dev ops tool. Try not to reinvent the wheel.

No one's disputing that Python has a shitload of libraries for everything and the kitchen sink. But this is about scripting, not web applications.

lets hear about how you're writing your superior large-scale applications and then tell me how you're config managing them. go on.

I've recently warmed up to Java. Has a shit-load of tooling for that sort of thing, and it has none of the performance problems of these two languages.

I've worked with enterprise companies using Java. While it's certainly a nice language it lost the only real advantage that it had years ago which was being relatively platform agnostic. It only seems like it's standard for most situations because it was the only option for a long time already. It gets even hairier trying to work with Java inside of LXC containers. I also don't envy the person who has to prototype and QA in Java. Once you start getting into microservice SOA it gets worse too. you can only make Java so lightweight before it becomes non-performant.

I have used both Python and Ruby extensively. I prefer Ruby, having come from C++. However, I think they are both perfectly fine languages. Python is a little easier to get into.

With a javascript interpreter, obviously. Same as any other interpreted language.

pic related (although I'm not sure why you would want this)

Python.

Ruby.
Python was designed and implemented for morons, by morons.

Lisp

Java.