Microphone Oriface

Hello. Why do we still allow integrated microphones onto our computers? It's literally a hole in your system. It makes total sense that hackers,like those in coffee shops, could send inaudible frequencies that exploit the vulnerability. Taking my paranoia to the next level, anything, even broadcast radio commercial stations could do this to the public without them even knowing. Hey, do what you want with your hardware, but I'm physically removing my mic today. Worthless feature anyway.

the case against an integrated microphone can be summed up by one word in your post:
>paranoia

Enjoy your tinfoil I guess

You fail to recognize my point. Why take such a risk for a useless piece of hardware you probably don't even use?

:^)

i think you like being lazy.

that's a start. but not good enough.

Some laptops (I can do it on mine, but I don't think it's possible on all) can disable the microphone/camera and other functions in BIOS as well.

i do use it. and if you're concerned about your computer being compromised, an audio recording or a webcam photo of you is about a thousand times less serious than a keylogger or a screencapture.

get a firm grip on reality before you talk to people.

>trusting microsoft
>trusting the manufacturer of your bios

ISHYGDDT

And yet you're here telling me not to trust them (; How?

you seem to not understand that a hacker could send something like, an AFSK modulated series of ultra high frequency tones that can exploit your sound daemon. this very real security hole is a totally different beast than your very real privacy concerns.

orifice

>Why do we still allow integrated disk drives onto our computers? It's literally a hole in your system. It makes total sense that hackers,like those in coffee shops, could send inaudible frequencies that exploit the vulnerability.

yep I can't figure this shit out either, try fucking off to IRC with other neo-luddites sticking in the mid 90s

there is this thing called "voip" but if you use "voip" then the other person will say something different to what you think. best to not let that happen, do not ever get a job, therefore you won't ever have to use "voip" and you can stick at home jerking off being an "autist"

do you think having used voip makes you part of some exclusive club? snob!

This thread has got to be bait.

Why do people that know nothing about compsci spread FUD? This is tinfoil-hattery.

why would a sound daemon have a vulnerability like that
I see the point for breaking air gaps if your computer is already exploited through say an USB drive and somebody needs to send commands to your otherwise disconnected machine, but really?

yes, because there's that wireless transceiver built into your hard drive. I think you're a disinfo agent at best.

this is not really compsci and moreof engineering/software/security

OP kind of has a point (though for the wrong reasons)

>he doesn't know
Audio is a way to transmit information. For example, you can create an audio keylogger. If each key has a specific sound when pressed (They do), then you can calibrate a program to log someone's keys by the sounds they make. This has been demonstrated with microphones not even inside the same device.

uh oh, got ourselves another disinfo agent discrediting proven facts again.

>he needs a reciever to change data flow
Idjit.

also electromagnetic frequencies that leak from the keyboard when the signals are transmitted to the computer

frequency analysis on that leads to (sometimes even better) results than audio, and the leaks are harder to spot

see TEMPEST for more stuff

Just put a hardware switch between the mic and the mobo

>tellmemore.jpeg

OP was talking about getting hacked through your microphone. Good luck with that.

All the stuff you typed out is true, but in no way does it relate to OPs post about using a microphone on a laptop as the receiving end, which is pretty idiotic and inane

You'd have to insert modem software into the laptop via some other channel first.

You could make a software modem like fldigi and exchange data using tones either above of below human hearing range,but an effective modem would take up noticable resources and be very low bandwidth.

Yeah.. injection attacks through the microphone don't seem particularly plausible. You would need some kind of software running on the host system that records the audio.
Which is totally possible with the kind of shit that html5 and such can do. Masquerade as discord or something. Like you send someone a fake discord link that is a wrapper for real discord that mirrors your mic input or whatever.

This is dumb.

Hey I tried to make some sort of scenario where OP wasn't retarded, of course it'd be dumb.

I know, user. Did not mean to say that you're dumb, just amazed at the ridiculousness of the concept.

And how would this lead to hacking their PC through the microphone? This would be using a web browser exploit, not hacking a microphone.

(which you might already know, but many on Sup Forums can be pants on head retarded with the paranoia that's spewed out by tech illiterates)

And you don't understand that most people would just hit you on the head and beat the information out of you. But what information would they get anyway? Plots from the latest anime season?

If your malware can hijack the microphone, then it can probably just hijack the keyboard input and don't bother with sound recognition

>Femanon
Stop whoring for attention, you know the rules.
Remove it. Same goes for your Webcam.
You'd be surprised how much goes revealed from remote cyber espionage, user, but you do make a point.

Open the laptop and disconnect or cut the microphone cable

wow it was very hard

Do you carry a phone?

If so your integrated mic is the least of your worries privacy-wise