Hey Sup Forums, what are some cute little laptops that you can buy for cheap on eBay...

Hey Sup Forums, what are some cute little laptops that you can buy for cheap on eBay? Like this little Sylvania for example.

I just love little netbooks like this, they're so tiny and useless into today's modern world but they're perfect for cuddling up next to to watch Chinese cartoons on!

Other urls found in this thread:

idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
motherfuckingwebsite.com/
nytimes.com/1998/03/30/world/arms-contractors-spend-to-promote-an-expanded-nato.html
nytimes.com/2017/03/31/world/europe/turkey-kurds-crackdown-terrorism.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yup sure are, useless products for useless individuals.

thinkpad x series

B-But my x220t is so much fun to use user.

is that yours, or did you just find the photo somewhere?

I think you can buy acer cloudbooks on ebay for pretty cheap at the moment, but I'm not sure if that's changed since I last checked.

I just found it online, I want to get one though just because of how small and bulky for its size it is. Real netbooks have curves.

Might be hard to find because they are consumershit hardware and have all died by now.

business

>OH GOD NO IM TOO SPECIAL

class

>IM BETTER THAN U FUK U

Ultraportable

>*CLICK* *CLICK* *CLICK* IT WON'T FIRE

(from any manufacturer)

>'TISM 'TISM 'TISM 'TISM 'TISM

What?

what the fuck is this post

Asus EEE PC series
Acer Aspire One series
MSI Wind series
Lenovo IdeaPad series

Also this is pretty much the best there is, but I don't know if 11.6 is too big for your purposes

I wanna shoot for 7" screen size range.

It looks like the X60s is the smallest Thinkpad you can get unless you track down one of those ancient PC110 units

It's got a smaller footprint than the newer widescreen X series

nope nope nope not special and unique enough I need a shitty old consumer laptop from 2003 that breaks all the time - just like me. Now then let me just hit this button. I wonder what it does. Oh it activates the

"Nothing Shit autism tornado storm"

>FUCKING laptop thrown over mach 3.5 upsold to hipsters at quarter light speed
>Re-tism tism tism (tism tism tism)
>Introducing
>(Silence)
>Nothing nothing nothing version nothing point "im beddur than u!!!!!!"

Oh. Assuming you don't want the GPD meme, your options are either the very first edition EEE PC or a 90s design like a Toshiba Libretto

UMPC shits are all the same special snowflake type of faggot who won't even look at the products out there and just says "oh I need a special laptop made once just for me nothing less is going to work"

It's similar to people who go to car dealerships with no intention to buy except to make the salesman jump through hoops.

Inevitably the "great need" they end up doing with it as OP mentioned is just butt diddling their already worthless time away.

In your pic inside the suitcase is a normal sized laptop and the reeee-shit is in fact the UMPC loser

You need to get out more

acer c720
jumper ezbook

eee 901
debian stable + backports
fluxbox
chromium

It struggles browsing but it's not totally impossible.

>watch Chinese cartoons on!
kek, good luck with that, they're slow as all shit, and have zero graphics accelleration
they're about as quick as an early 2000's smartphone

does it perform better than the eee 900?

What did I say?

>oh I want this specific old piece of shit
>BUT it has to be modern BUT it has to be old BUT it has to be new
>make it just for me

umpc shits are the car salesman circus hoop jumper but technology version. I'd say get pic related with a modern smartphone (because you can dual boot linux) but you're going to say no to that too. Only way it would work is to do this but to attach a little megaphone to it that randomly screams "I AM BETTER THAN U!!!!!!!"

What's it like living with autism, user?

I'm and I was asking out of curiosity, because I already have an eee 900 (which I bought back in 08 when they were new) and I wondered how much of a difference the atom processor made vs the celeron M

the laptop you're looking for doesn't exist. If you want to repeat the thread going up and down between needs you don't even have, that's fine. For everyone else, just be warned of UMPC shits. This has nothing to do with technology, it's just snowflakism

That is kawaii as fuck

Oh HELL yeah

I shitpost ironically on /x/ and that post makes me cringe harder than anything I've ever written before.

Octane benchmark for the 901 with chromium 57 is 2602. My q6600 gets 14k.
I also have a netbook with 2gig and a n570 dual core atom: noticeable smoother but still way slow of course.

I've got one of those, runs Windows Embedded Compact 7 and has a ~600MHz VIA ARM CPU

Ah Jesus, those Slyvanias are the dog's bollox for your obsession with their Windows CE.
Anyway, how about those Asus EEE?

What about those Chinese android netbooks that always get thrown around ebay and amazon? They are the ultimate machine to watch animu on.

Trash, unusable, waste of money.
And I find atom netbooks still tolerable.

>probably a 6 year old version of Android with Chinese botnet apps that's unrootable
No thanks.

What about pads strictly for offline use like typing oriented things? Does that widen the range?

>tfw no kawaii netbook to type up your thoughts and writings in a park.

The point of them is that you can install some stock android version with the use of an SD card.

They look cool. But totally not worth it for £50. Look around on ebay and you'll find stuff like the Acer cloudbook 14 going for £90, not considerably much more expensive and far more useful.

It's pretty expensive though, if I were you I'd just pick up something like an eMate 300

Not without a bootloader unlock, shit for brains.

I have a wm8880-based android netbook. I do not think there is a way to do what you say. At least, I have never been able to find one.

I run Fedora 24 on my Atom surface 3 non pro. It's comfy and there's finally a build that has no hardware issues

CF-M34 is cute but those are very old now

you have a good taste user
captcha: cars

Used elitebooks are dirt cheap now in the Netherlands. I think the smallest are 11 or 12".

your autism is drawing unfavorable attention to yourself user

sit down and take some deep breaths

So go for an eMate 300

comfy to the max

good luck finding one that is worth the price

>It struggles browsing
This pisses me off really.

Most webpages have objectively less actual content than 10 years ago, but the css and the java-script bloat has become such that even i5s are starting to struggle.

I might buy something like this. What do you guys think?

Not too bad. I would try to find one alittle cheaper though.

i own that, its ass

comfy? sure
light web browsing is a pain sometimes, watching videos is almost impossible

i bought one of those broadcom crystal HD decoder chips or whatever, couldn't get it to work

ended up putting cloudready on it, running h.264ify, and barely using it.

Still, better deal than a raspi.

Eh, 40 dolans is less than the stupid thing here and returns are accepted.

I just want it to do light programming and shitpost here and 8ch.

True. I can install Windows XP on it for maximum comfy.

>MSI Wind series
This. Mine's been running for years now. It's perfect for a small home server.

The worst part is when you find old articles that are still hosted and see how literate and plain they are. Granted this was probably due to them being intended for print (notice how newspaper fonts are getting larger to cover for less content?) but still the show of intent was there, that they were writing an articles of news, often based on a very complex subject. No annoying TL;DR side inserts (those piss me right off!), no giant images, no scripts to block that are still prepared for by the browser so it will take huge amounts of RAM anyway even though most of its "capabilities" are going totally unused at that moment...

It's a shit show.

Finally I have found a kindred sprit to share my love for shitty useless netbooks with

That's a phablet

The problem:
idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm

The solution:
motherfuckingwebsite.com/

unless you have expirence with arm'd tux, i suggest you avoid those. also 12M of vram, you wont be watching shit on it.

>butterfly keyboard
:^)

Don't they generally go for ~$300? I'd say that's worth it

You just got yourself a brand new paper weight.
Enjoy

Nah, an Atom N270 is plenty usable. Hell I've got a computer with a shittier processor that I use daily.

but why would you use it if you don't have to.

this thread is dumb

the most absurd part is that a dell e6400 goes for around the same cost on ebay

Netbooks are nice

like how VHS was nice?

No, like how having a 10" laptop is nice.

Exactly just like that.

>Atom N270
>released 2008
>usable
Yeah, sure.

>shittier processor that I use daily.
As a paperweight I assume?

This was a mistake for my aged guy to buy such old computer. I mean this 8Mhz 16-bit prosessor sure is different to the computers I have grown to use. That is why I hate the modern times, when even phones have a fuckton on power, but they are mainly used for... shit and shit, not productivity.
It's great way to gain more stress and fill your empty spot on your heart. Those slow processors are great way to gain patience.
Couldn't agree more. You can get a lot out of a that laptop. Like dayumn.
Whatever pal, keep doing what you enjoy the most.
Don't even remind me of those.

nigga why?

>Yeah, sure.
It is. Just because you can't play modern AAA games doesn't make it useless.
>As a paperweight I assume?
No, for browsing the web, SSH, and some old games.
>Whatever pal, keep doing what you enjoy the most.
Will do.

shit for brains
get one then. I have a 2120 running Xfce and Google Chrome on 2GB

Bytespeed NL3. I bough a bulk lot of used ones for $30ish each. I kept one for myself and sold the rest on craigslist.

Oh boy it's some website psuedo politics by shitstains who've never published a single tag because their gay preschool toy laptop is too out of date to render jquery.

Next stop: "you must remove all software past 1995 because I'm a fucking hipster"-tier BSD circlejerk shit

>those buttons next to the pad.

Fucking awful.

>watch Chinese cartoons
>on a 400MHz ARM or MIPS
wut

Not an argument.

What the fuck is a tag and why is your website so slow?

It's not as bad to use as it looks. Keyboard's way too small though, best way to type is holding it in your hands and typing with your thumbs

>implying stuff released in 2008 isn't usable today
The oldest Atoms are kinda shit but there's a lot they can still do. Text-based tasks, music playback, some basic web browsing (assuming you don't want to be able to browse the worst of the heaviest sites) and whatnot. Things I can do on a 2009 phone as well as on a 2008 laptop

You cannot disregard 15 years of web progress as not an argument, your smelly IRC circlejerk is not a web authority. For good reason since you are neo-luddites. Thankfully responsible people are the ones running the internet in terms of what technologies take off, generally due to what is feasible based on 10 YEAR OLD HARDWARE.

Website is slow because it has this thing called "javascript". We just added 10KB to the page size. Better just look at that size, there isn't any other reason for it, smaller is just always better. Oh no, something on the page needs updating. Better refresh the entire thing and resend the 100KB page. Works out in vocal-IRC-turd-math because 200KB is less than 110KB.

This neo-luddite shit is similar to programming dropouts insisting they're better programmers for not using a framework because they have more "pure i/o speed" in their shit hello world. Just like you with your gay web 1.0, both parties never progressed mentally past this point, which is how we get this "we should chop out javascript and web frameworks because I'm a piece of shit"

>(assuming you don't want to be able to browse the worst of the heaviest sites)

Which you shouldn't anyway.

>You cannot disregard 15 years of web progress as not an argument
Uh, not like every progress is a good progress. Take the news for example, hopefully the way they're becoming with this internet thing isn't going to be forever.

This is about aesthetics and content after all, at least as much as about technology. Trends come and go.

I think the big "problem" is this:
>the main content of most sites is still text and images with some video or audio thrown in
>yet because we can, we're adding thousands of bells and whistles and ads and so on without adding to the content

>You cannot disregard 15 years of web progress as not an argument
Prove that progress is good. Progress isn't inherently beneficial. You haven't shown a single defence of the state of the modern web.

>Thankfully responsible people are the ones running the internet in terms of what technologies take off
[citation needed]

>generally due to what is feasible based on 10 YEAR OLD HARDWARE.
Even modern machines get their fans whirring on modern sites.

>We just added 10KB to the page size
Never that small and you know it. Plus not all pages that have this require it, nor even any JS at all. The JS on Wikipedia alone is larger than all of the other content, including the images.

>more insults rather than arguments

Tell me, would you defend a car that is slower, but to attain the same speed as an older car requires an engine twice the size, and needing three-times more fuel, because it doesn't need oil changes as often or some other bullshit "progressive" concept you defend?

I see you all the time getting mad that people have some sort of standard for their software, which makes sense for a tech board. You don't see music forums defending Brokencyde.

this doesn't really count because even earlier in 2006 there was a C2D, atom was underpowered even at the time. you are entering toxic bsd territory by just pretending that sites can be a "worst" or "heaviest". This is like the cartoon question "Why is everyone going the wrong way!" When it's actually you being a shitty hippie.

I would say shitty poor hippie, but a quick search showed that your gay netbooks have inflated price thanks to UMPC shits like you. You can still easily get a C2D X series thinkpad for less than $20 versus the cheapest models in this thread are $80 which won't last 2 years. This has nothing to do at all with cost, all of this is just wanting far too much to pretend to be better than "normies" for using a smartphone or anything modern

yeah, go buy something that is already unanimously shit and try to feel good about it

AlphaSmarts exist. They are simple as fuck and dont require anything more than a cable to offload their stored text. It just acts as a keyboard and types it in (at least the 3000 i used did, i dont know of the Palm OS based ones are any different.)
Kind of thinking about getting one to store copypastas on now.

I loved mine, perfect seedbox, fan sadly inhaled some iron filings one day - not pretty

No matter how much you cry about it, the web moved on - with or without you. Buying a shitty underpowered hippie netbook will not help. Buying a shitty underpowered hippie netbook just because it can't do anything fast which falsely makes you think that you get to live in the past will not help. Only visiting "proper" websites on your shitty hippiebook will not help.

This is very similar to being a vocal vegetarian, going to some fast food place, ordering something you know to have meat on purpose, and then holding up the line by giving it right back and saying that you're vegetarian. Even if they throw it out, this doesn't bring the animal back to life. Buying some shitty laptop to prevent yourself from experiencing websites will not bring the old web back.

I'm glad we were able to boil down the real reason why we're here. Either way you must know you're quite literally one step away from BSD shits saying "Who needs that?" in response to web browsers because their 1998 shitware boils over trying to use it. stick to IRC, it's lighter weight

>stick to IRC, it's lighter weight
well yeah IRC is one of the top reasons to use cheap shitbooks

IRC is a pain to use on androids and iPads but it'll be fun on any 7" eeepc or whatever

The quality has gone down dramatically, here's a single example that sets the tone rather than provides any specific scientific proof, but you'd be hard pressed to argue that it's not the case across the board. Let's take one site for example, the New York Times (simply because I was reading an old article on there earlier):
>ARMS CONTRACTORS SPEND TO PROMOTE AN EXPANDED NATO (1998, nearly the same day) - 3 pages
>Turkey’s Wars: Quelling Kurdish Uprisings, and Suffering From Terror Attacks = just over 1 and a half

Now, that might not seem like such a huge difference, but compare the two pages themselves and how they're told, and you'll see a massive decline in quality across the board. It is literally indefensible.

nytimes.com/1998/03/30/world/arms-contractors-spend-to-promote-an-expanded-nato.html
nytimes.com/2017/03/31/world/europe/turkey-kurds-crackdown-terrorism.html

Still not an argument. Why should someone need something 10x as powerful to do exactly the same thing as they were doing with "lesser" hardware? In the end the only people who benefit are hardware manufacturers and why should we let them dictate what is and isn't a worthwhile device, since they'll always want it to be what you don't have but must buy from them now.

Tell me this: would you defend this for any other technology? There's calls for lower consumption when it comes to lighting our homes and driving our cars, why would you not also want a lower power consumption for computers and web servers, bearing in mind that approximately 20% of the world's power goes to the web (which means first worlders' web since the developing world can't afford neither the devices nor the servers to access nor host this kind of content).

Not an argument

How is it for video playback?

Never tried

Why not just buy a tablet and use it with one of those cases with keyboards on them?
It's pretty comfy, I just wish I could run a on it instead of running some cli lightweight distro on top of Android.

>Website is slow because it has this thing called "javascript". We just added 10KB to the page size. Better just look at that size, there isn't any other reason for it, smaller is just always better. Oh no, something on the page needs updating. Better refresh the entire thing and resend the 100KB page. Works out in vocal-IRC-turd-math because 200KB is less than 110KB.
All lies. Modern websites use 500KB of javascript, another 500KB of css, and never refresh anything. It's all one use and takes 10-15 seconds to render on an i5 for perhaps 50KB of actual text content. Youtube videos load faster than a lot of modern webpages.

> This neo-luddite shit
Why am I a luddite for disliking slow websites?
What makes pic-related ok? Literally over 1MB of css code for less than 50KB of html content?

Do I complain about modern software, tools, and developments which actually work and deliver objective improvements? No. So why am I a luddite for pointing out that developments in Web design, frontends, backends, and technologies have failed to deliver outcomes which justify their ballooning costs in bandwidth, RAM use, and especially CPU cycles and user time?

Why is your website so fucking slow?

My fan started whining hard a year ago, I disassembled it, cleaned it a bit and lubed it with olive oil. It's so silent now.
I also let it run fanless for a while but it was in a pretty cold basement.