VPN Location for Privacy

I just purchased a 1 year VPN subscription.
My primary goal is privacy and avoiding government surveillance.

I've heard that Switzerland seems to be a good VPN location when it comes to privacy, although I am unfortunately not able to use that location because all my VPN provider's servers in Switzerland are terribly slow and completely unusable.

What does Sup Forums recommend? Which location should I connect to when my main goal is privacy and avoiding logging, etc.?

I can pick from these locations:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Germany, Hong Kong, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Ukraine

I am from the Netherlands, so it probably won't make much sense to connect to the Netherlands VPN.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_Eyes#Further_countries
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onyx_(interception_system)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_government_surveillance_projects
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON
blog.ipvanish.com/ipvanish-removes-russian-vpn-servers-from-moscow/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_data_retention
eff.org/issues/mandatory-data-retention
ivpn.net/data-retention-laws/netherlands)
privacytoolsio.github.io/privacytools.io/
prism-break.org/en/
browserleaks.com/
github.com/StevenBlack/hosts
hosts-file.net/)
ffprofile.com/
kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Security_and_privacy-related_preferences
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/privacy-settings/
jm42.github.io/compare-user.js/
aclu.org/blog/you-may-have-nothing-hide-you-still-have-something-fear
youtube.com/watch?v=N8Xg_C2YmG0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Russia or Ukraine

US or Japan

what provider

I torrent all my shit through a Mexican IP

Why does the provider matter?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_Eyes#Further_countries
Further, there is a group of nations termed '3rd Party Partners', which share their intelligence with the 5 Eyes.

Russia, Lithaunia, Romania, Netherlands. Switzerland is going full spy mode. There is a CCC talk on that, dont know if its translated to english tho.
Make sure to use cascading meaning: VPN1 -> VPN2 -> Internet

>Ctlr + F = Ukraine
>warning beep (not found)
You should use Ukraine, OP ^.^

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onyx_(interception_system)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_government_surveillance_projects
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

Swiss servers on AirVPN are fine.

lol see

xDDDDD
>>>/global/rules/2

OP here, I tried every single Switzerland server on AirVPN and the maximum download bandwidth I got is 1.4 MB/s, I tried both UDP and TCP.

My regular download bandwidth (without VPN) is 18 MB/s.

What's your approximate download speed on the Swiss servers?

>Implying I need a VPN
>What is port forwarding on VPS

Self-hosted VPNs don't always provide the same level of privacy as a shared/commercial VPN.

You stick out much more since you're the only one using that VPS' IP address, hence why I prefer a shared VPN.

110 mbit/s download & upload

Interesting, did you have to do anything specific in order to be able to achieve that speed? Are you using their client?
I just punched in the OpenVPN profile given by the AirVPN configurator into my ASUS DD-WRT router and got the before-mentioned terrible speeds...

>Privacy
>As you don't have any access to the server and they could log everything behind your back.
Pick one.

Need a VPN that isn't range b& by gookmoot. AirVPN is awesome, but was too abused by faggots.

Yes, that's true, however you should note that your VPS provider could just as well log your internet traffic without you ever realizing it.

fyi blog.ipvanish.com/ipvanish-removes-russian-vpn-servers-from-moscow/

this
I dont get all the vpn hype: you have ZERO proof theyre not lying, all of them

It's a trust thing and about the best we have right now, short of using TOR or some other obscure services like freenet or i2p.

I would rather take the chance that *maybe* my VPN provider logs my internet traffic than being fully assured that my ISP is logging my every single step (because they are required to do so by law).

sauce

What's the point of a VPN if your browser has a unique fingerprint?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_data_retention
eff.org/issues/mandatory-data-retention

I've already taken care of blocking as much browser fingerprinting as possible in my browser (uBlock Origin, CanvasBlocker, Self-Destructing Cookies, No Resource URI Leak, etc.)

>Implying all internet activity happens through a browser

to be protected it's not the exit vpn tunnel which count in first but the country where the company is located.

respect or not dmca etc ...

neither of those links cite a lawful requirement nor accuse the USA of doing so

you must love google's cookies

Can you give a complete list. I'm interested

still doesn't back up your original claim. They're obviously going to do all kinds of bullshit on the carbon copies they take down from everything

ISP data retention is a common practice by ISPs, especially in the EU (again, see the links I provided).
I live in the Netherlands, which is part of the EU.

Upon further research, I've actually found out that the Netherlands has recently dropped the requirement for data retention (2 years ago or so), so excuse me for that invalid claim.
(ivpn.net/data-retention-laws/netherlands)

However, data retention was definitely active in the Netherlands until just a few years ago and who knows if the ISPs are still logging everything?

Yes, the requirement for data retention was dropped, however it is still perfectly possible and legal for the ISPs to log my every single step, and I genuinely think they are doing so even to this day.

It all comes down to trust, but I personally trust a reputable company like AirVPN that when they say they don't keep logs, that they do actually stay true to that claim and don't keep any logs. My ISP however never says "We don't keep logs", probably because they do keep them.

Here's a few resources regarding browser fingerprinting avoidance and more privacy-related stuff, highly suggest you check them all out:

prism-break.org/en/
browserleaks.com/

I personally use at the moment:
Waterfox (Due to it having absolutely no telemetry)
uBlock Origin
Decentraleyes
CanvasBlocker
No Resource URI Leak
HTTPS by default
HTTPS Everywhere
Self-Destructing Cookies
+ A custom Hosts file with a bunch of spy- and tracking domains blocked (see github.com/StevenBlack/hosts and hosts-file.net/)

Make sure to disable the DNSClient service in Windows if you plan on importing any of the above mentioned Hosts files, as you'll most likely run into severe performance problems with DNS resolving.

I tried using uMatrix for a while but for me it's not really worth the amount of effort you have to put into it.
Having a Hosts file with as many known tracking domains, etc. blocked is a better solution for me personally.

Oh yeah and I also have the Referer Header disabled in about:config (network.http.sendRefererHeader = 0).
Although this does break some websites, so I have to enable it from time to time and then re-disable it again.

>Waterfox (Due to it having absolutely no telemetry)
I use Firefox profiles for my different needs. Do you know of any resource describing the telemetry in Firefox. Also curious

>Make sure to disable the DNSClient service in Windows if you plan on importing any of the above mentioned Hosts files, as you'll most likely run into severe performance problems with DNS resolving.
I use Linux, I intend to look into DNSCrypt with Unbound.

>I tried using uMatrix for a while but for me it's not really worth the amount of effort you have to put into it.
Agreed. It's a lot of effort. I just started using it and for now it's usefull for certain torrent sites.

i know marketeers lurk this board and threads like this. so hear me out:

offer a 1 dollar a month service capped at 5Mbps for poor countries. you cunts.

These should help you:

ffprofile.com/
kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Security_and_privacy-related_preferences
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/privacy-settings/
jm42.github.io/compare-user.js/

As a first step I'd recommend you to go into Options->Advanced->Data Choices and untick all checkboxes, then open up about:config and set "datareporting.policy.dataSubmissionEnabled" to false, as this is - according to Mozilla - a killswitch to disable any uploading of telemetry/data collection, just to make sure.

Thanks user. Lots of reading to do.

Just use TOR. You don't need a VPN.

Why would you need all these VPNs? Do you have something to hide from the government surveillance? Are you a terrorist? Law-abiding citizens should not seek help of these shady services, if they have nothing to hide. Just the fact that you are seeking to use such services can be suspicious and even incriminating. How do you know that VPN providers don't submit the entire data about their customers to the government. Most likely all the people who used VPN or rented a VPS are already accounted for, flagged as "potential terrorists" and blacklisted by the secret services. Now think what will happen to these people in case of a martial law.

I would use Tor, however:
1) Slow as hell
2) Can't use UDP-based programs such as TeamSpeak anymore, which sucks

I am none of those things.
I simply don't want my ISP to know absolutely everything I'm up to 24/7, even if it's nothing shady.
When I browse on eBay, I don't want my ISP to know that. Simply because they don't need to know that.
Everyone has googled at least one embarrassing thing in their life, who knows what governments will be capable of in 10 years from now on?
What if they start releasing information to the public or oppressing/blackmailing (idk what the right word is) citizens with the information they've collected in 10 years from now?
What if Google gets hacked in the next 10 years and all our data dumped online to the public by the hackers?
There's many reasons why privacy is important.

Please read the first paragraph:

I hope what you wrote was an actual comment and not just some copypasta that I fell for, lol

Because most of them will sell your info you dipshit. Especially the big ones with servers in many countries, like the one you said you have.

>everybody has records of my black dick obsession

Is it too late for a VPN Bros does it even matter?

Well it boils down to trust again, I do have some general faith in AirVPN, but that's everyone's personal opinion, unless you have some evidence that they are actually selling info.

If you can recommend a better VPN service and/or give me some directions as to which country I should connect to, I would highly appreciate that.

Innocent until proven guilty. Look it up.

Also this:
aclu.org/blog/you-may-have-nothing-hide-you-still-have-something-fear

What the government wants is power.
They want to know as much as possible about every single citizen, to have *control* over them and their lives.
If we keep feeding the government and the NSA by not conducting privacy practices, the world will go in a very bad direction.
Remember ACTA? If citizens wouldn't have spoken up and made a huge protest about it, everything we do nowadays would be under constant surveillance by cameras everywhere. Things like YouTube wouldn't exist anymore.

If we don't fight back, if we don't break out of the botnet, if we don't protest, then the government, Microsoft and Google will just keep invading our privacy more and more, until privacy becomes non-existent and something we could only dream of.

If you truly think that you have absolutely zero things to hide, you are lying to yourself.

If you don't know what I mean by ACTA, watch this:
youtube.com/watch?v=N8Xg_C2YmG0

t. net neutrality supporter who wants to give the government even more oversight

VPS providers log everything mandatory because there are some beefy projects hosted on their servers.

Whenever some shit tries to go for one of my accounts it's from Romania, so Romania

kek

You are already sticking out by using shit ton of addons (normies use adblock or nothing) and trying to prevent "tracking" by blocking all obscure javascripts, the websites will simply tag you while getting enough info about you even without enabled javascript (css fingerprints, language fingerprint, ping, attention span per page and so on).

Sadly that only applies to the court of law. The court of public opinion doesn't really care if you're innocent or not. If you're accused, you may as well be guilty.

That may be true, however at least that way I can block the most common fingerprinting techniques.
The techniques you've mentioned are (afaik) less common, I've never even heard about CSS fingerprinting and how that would be possible without JS enabled.

there is css function to determine window width, so the page would fit in it

Interesting, but would it actually be able to send that information back to the server, without access to JavaScript?
I'm not much of a webdev myself, therefore sorry for my cluelessness.