/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/ - PC Building General-- LOL@580

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions.

State the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or improve specs.
List the games or software you use most often.
Use common sense and put some effort into your queries.
GOOGLE IT FIRST

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice (which is pretty outdated/shit), Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

>Semi-outdated information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Pentium G4560 remains the best if your budget is only around $500.
>The Ryzen 1700 is the only R7 worth purchasing.
>If you're building a PC with an i5, wait for Ryzen 5 to compare. (Out April 11)
>i3 are no longer worth getting. The budget choice is the G4560.
>Locked i5s are a better value than unlocked i5s and perform similarly, especially in games.
>SSDs are worth it. Expensive SSDs aren't worth it.
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the (1050ti outside of US), RX470 4GB, RX480 4/8GB, (1060 outside of USA), 1070, 1080, 1080Ti.
>The cheapest way to build a PC is buying one part at a time as you see flash sales, not buying all parts at once. An entire build worth of good components will rarely be on sale all on the same day.
>Don't feel bound to one specific brand/model of a component. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help with this, if your monkey brain can figure out how to use them.
>RX 500 series coming out now. Ryzen 5, April 11. Vega coming Q2 2017.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with and report.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/JCbW7h
pcpartpicker.com/product/MJM323/intel-cpu-bx80671i76950x
amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01JGQBSV8/ref=sr_1_5_olp?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1491438899&sr=1-5&keywords=rx 480 8gb
pcpartpicker.com/list/2Xh4m8
pcpartpicker.com/list/JKszsJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/yVg8sJ
pcpartpicker.com/product/sQbp99/seasonic-power-supply-ss650km
pcpartpicker.com/product/vBTrxr/fractal-design-define-mini-c-microatx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-def-mini-c-bk
pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7
pcpartpicker.com/list/X4mnFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/ksg8sJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/4QY4m8
pcpartpicker.com/list/8rf6jc
pcpartpicker.com/list/T8vgNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/bQnZPs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

whats diff between the $300 cpus and the $1,500 cpus. is the price worth or just a meme

$1500 cpus?

You should greentext in the OP

>consider an mATX or ITX case instead of an ATX unless you're running SLI

I think that's a good addition, maybe a reword or something but yeah. ITX commands a price premium over mATX, but it's good because it's small. also bad because it's small. ATX is big but too big... I honestly think mATX is the sweet spot for most ppl.

a tripfag being a complete newfag what a surprise, go kill urself my man

One of them is made by AMD and the other is made by Intel.

>3 posters

>whats diff between the $300 cpus and the $1,500 cpus. is the price worth or just a meme
>a tripfag being a complete newfag what a surprise, go kill urself my man

you were the one who asked a question that didn't deserve the response. n_n

True, and some mATX motherboards still offer two PCIe slots and 4 RAM slots.

why are you still alive, die already

pcpartpicker.com/list/JCbW7h

Spending my tax return money in a completely sensible fashion. Are there any microatx cases that offer a front/rear 140mm fan slot?

why not just get a 7700k

>tfw the case i bought wont fit under my tv

well shit.

RX500 series isn't until April 18th.
What's coming out now is just leaks.

>Are there any microatx cases that offer a front/rear 140mm fan slot?
Most of them do. Some even have 200mm front.

AMD has no $1500 CPU except for their upcoming 16core/32thread HEDT.

lay it on its side

pcpartpicker.com/product/MJM323/intel-cpu-bx80671i76950x

I'm looking for a case to replace my 500R that's too much of a dust magnet.

I'm looking for something like:
>less than 7", 177mm, wide.
>less than 18" long/tall, whichever is greatest.
>dust filter on EVERY FUCKING EXPOSED GRATE. I can't stand all these cases that have openings by the i/o that's not filtered and pretty much there for no fucking reason.
>vertical PCI slots and even slimmer would be ideal

and that also has at least one of:
>200mm or larger side fan mount positioned over the CPU
>2 or more 140mm top fan mounts.

Does not matter if it's mATX or ATX as long as it's under those dimensions.

I've been looking around and just been at quiet a loss. None really seem ideal.

Need a budget pc gaming build.
>Budget is 550$
>Want to be able to play new games such as battlefield 1 on high-max settings with a consistent 55-75 fps.
>Want this build to have room for upgrades as well.

Thanks

cooler master n series?

with that budget, G4560+RX 480 is your best bet

What is the coldest modern desktop build possible that doesn't involve literally an air conditioner or refrigeration unit, just desktop fans and heat sinks; how cold can i get a 7700K this way?

save up $300 more, Sup Forumstard

Why would you care?

the biggest liquid cooler in a full size tower with a gold rated psu will easily get you to like 20c idle

because hot components don't last

its a cube.

8gb or 4gb ?

>because hot components don't last
Overheating ones don't. At normal operating temps they'll last decades.
There's no point in living with an obnoxiously loud system for a few degrees. I don't even have my fan set to begin ramping until 60C. (which means it doesn't ramp at all since it's undervolted)

Like the n400? Eh... mostly 120mm.
And it's 7.5" x 16.7" x 19.7", so larger than I wanted while also not supporting 140mm fans.

Just get the RX470. Better performance/$. Hardly far behind the RX480 but generally much cheaper.

Or just use the iGPU on the G4560 and wait for the best deal you can find. We don't know what RX570s will be priced at.
If AMD really did switch to the LPP process for the 500 series, yields could be better and thus they could be cheaper than expected.
We just don't know, so just get your G4560 and shit now, use the iGPU, and wait until the 18th for the RX500s to come out.

it will be in a separate room

in your budget, a $160 RX 480 4GB or $110 RX 470 4 gb.

Unless you're going for a max overclock, just throw a 212 EVO on it and call it a day.

no. i want something under 25C at idle desktop wide

NH-D15

I have a spare graphics card from like 2009, I will probably use that until the 500s come out. Can anyone give me reccomendations on good budget cases, motherboards, ssd cards, et cetera.

scythe ninja 4, or one of the big noctua/be quiet/cryorig, and set your AC to 20C or might need to be lower.

Living in USA , would like something I could run emulators with games being Botw, psx emulator , n64 emulator. Non-old games might be Skyrim , and I guess few randoms. won't be playing 4k , regular resolution. Budget 700-800. Want to last college as well. T-thanks

>Pentium G4560

stop recommending this shit. the g4600 is better and costs less.

Whats the best 200$ graphics card at the moment?

how "budget"?
for $20-$30 you have the Rosewill SRM-01 and Zalman T5.

You don't want to cheap out on SSD too much. A SanDisk or Crucial MX300 are reasonable prices.

emulators are mostly entirely single threaded and really shittily made cash grabs, so an i3-7350K tends to be good for those.
>non-old games
>skyrim
>released 2011
>no-old
You'd be find with a G4560 though, really. Could make that system for like $300 or so.
If you can wait, you could wait for the new AMD APU's to get something barely more expensive but 2-3 times better.

Or just get the i3-7350k because it's hardly more expensive than the i3-7320 but a B250 motherboard and reasonably priced, good-enough cooler like the Cryorig C1. Again, use the iGPU, and its iGPU is slightly better.

RX480 8GB when you can find them on sale for that.

RX 480 4GB. Not sure if you can find a GTX 1060 6GB at that price point easily.

>costs less
It's literally 50% more expensive.
$90 vs $60.

Even if you could find the 1060 6GB at the price, it's not better if the person plays a lot of DX12/Vulkan games.
Outside of BF1, which isn't real DX12.

My budget for the entire pc is 550$

Or you could wait for a RX 480 8GB to go on sale.

Any word on Vega yet? I have an rx 480 and it's fine but I want more power. I'd get a 1070 or 1080 but I have a freesync monitor so I'd rather stick with amd for now

amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01JGQBSV8/ref=sr_1_5_olp?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1491438899&sr=1-5&keywords=rx 480 8gb

Ever heard of a tape measure?

Nope. Just wait a month or two and you'll get your info. Just expect an affordable price and strong performance.

Why is the label on the box diffrent?

Multiple versions of the card. Only difference is aesthetics.

pcpartpicker.com/list/2Xh4m8

Add a RX470 if your iGPU isn't enough. You can sometimes find them for $110.

Newegg has the Sapphire Nitro RX480 4GB on sale for the next 6 hours. $189.

That's a good one. Can apparently draw more power for overclocking.
Some of the 8pin RX480 models will not actually take more power through it than the 6pin reference because 2 of the pins are just used for something else.

Kinda expensive for a 4GB, still, though.

Whats a good ssd for around 60-80 dollars?

pcpartpicker.com/list/JKszsJ

Hey, I'm looking to build a game streaming/video editing PC would this be a good enough pc for that, any dumb decisions?

I'd like to play and stream modern games at 1080p 144hz at high settings.

waste of money for something that won't fit much more than your OS and a game or two.

The 275GB MX300 is $95 when double the capacity is only $45 more.

Looks good, but I'd get the Geil EVO RAM if it's still on sale. People seem to be having better luck with Geil than Corsair with Ryzen.

Also why not get the Seasonic semi-modular gold instead? Hardly more money. The 550RM

You are going to run into issues hitting 144fps in some games with that CPU but otherwise you have the right idea.

I don't really care too much about power efficiency as long it has good build quality and will last, the difference between bronze and gold is just efficiency right? kinda new to this.

I understand having trouble hitting 144fps in some games, but is the frame rate significantly higher with the 7700k in cpu intensive games?

It's not that bad.
Most of the games where the performance is significantly lower are ones where the FPS is plenty high anyway.

Most people have a bad idea of the performance based on day1 benchmarks with buggy BIOS, buggy windows, and 2133/2400mhz ram compared to 3200-3600.

And I bet if paired with Vega, it'd look far better just like the 1800x vs 6900k comparison in 720p with the RX480 from The Tech Altar.

too many de-lidding horror stories.

The gold is more efficient because it's higher quality.
Same reason you can pull 600W from the 420W fanless Seasonic PSUs without them shutting down.

This isn't always true, though. Some PSUs reach gold efficiency due to some stupid tricks that really make them worse. But the 550RM is good.

Good reason.

It's a bit higher but I wouldn't recommend the 7700k if you want to stream and game at the same time. X99/Ryzen or bust if you want to stream. Nothing from intel can really match the 1700 in that niche at that price. Realistically at 1080p high settings you will probably still hit GPU bottlenecks before the CPU would be an issue even with the 1700.

Yeah I don't disagree but it's unfortunate the some of the savings from going with Ryzen must be blown on RAM that might be a bit pricier than you'd have wanted if going intel. Either way I would never recommend a 7700k build at this point.

What do you guys think?
pcpartpicker.com/list/yVg8sJ

Not bad. You might want to consider getting a better card though. XFX GTR, Sapphire Nitro, ASUS Strix, etc.

If you're not overclocking though, you're golden.

Except for Arma and Ashes, I bet any i5 Haswell or Ivy Bridge can keep up 60fps minimum as long as it is paired with a good GPU.

What does this actually mean?

You need to stick in a Sky Lake chip first to make the Kaby Lake chip work.

M.2 disables two SATA ports.

It means what it says it means?

>when you have a $1500 PC budget
>when you could buy a 1080Ti
>but you have to factor peripherals into your budget
>and have to settle for 1060 for 1080p gaymen.

Just a few comments. I would consider going with a 650w Gold psu. Deduct 10% for inefficiency (Your 520w psu is actually a 470w), and consider that your entire build is going to use perhaps 15% more watts than currrently indicated (your total build might end up requiring 400w). That's leaving you with 50w to 70w of buffer. I'd go for safe and bump up the psu wattage slightly to 650w. pcpartpicker.com/product/sQbp99/seasonic-power-supply-ss650km

You are going with a larger case than is necessary (Your motherboard is a MicroATX). I strongly recommend a MicroATX mid tower case - pcpartpicker.com/product/vBTrxr/fractal-design-define-mini-c-microatx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-def-mini-c-bk

You haven't chosen a cooler and you most certainly need one. I can vouch for this cooler - pcpartpicker.com/product/93Crxr/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h7

Here's your build with my recommended modifications - pcpartpicker.com/list/X4mnFd

Kaby is only guaranteed to work with 200 series boards (B250, etc), even though it's basically the same as Skylake. Based intel.

You could just settle for a cheap Logitech keyboard and mouse and buy the $200 mechanical keyboard later.

There are some boards that allow a flash without a CPU

>Yeah I don't disagree but it's unfortunate the some of the savings from going with Ryzen must be blown on RAM
You should be getting at least 2666-3000 RAM with an i7 to begin with. People who were pairing $600 of cpu+motherboard+cooler with $60 in RAM were retards.
Intel CPUs also benefits from faster RAM, just not quite as much as Ryzen does.

Compare a 1700 overclocked to 3.8 and 7700k at 4.8 but put the $70 in cost savings to 3200 instead of 2133 RAM on intel, and I'm pretty sure the 1700 would be faster on average.

A 4c/8t Ivy Bridge will maintain 60fps minimum in almost every new game, even stuff like Watch Dogs 2.
But not the 4c/4t ones.

I'm so fucking sick of 60fps minimum. I miss the days of getting 100+fps with my Thunderbird and CRT. That shit was so smooth.
Fucking garbo LCDs that were forced on us for like a decade.

It says exactly what it means.

I snagged 3200 C16 ram for only $90, even with all the flash storage bullshit going on. Remember, Ryzen is more dependent on the actual frequency of the ram, rather than the latency (it still helps though).

pcpartpicker.com/list/ksg8sJ

Looking to build my first PC. Nothing special, just programming and light gaming (nothing newer than 2008). Mostly wondering about the CPU and Motherboard combination, but willing to replace any really bad picks. Let's say my budget is 1500.

And that was for 16GB.

>when you have a $1500 PC budget
>and have to settle for 1060

No reason to settle for that. $1500 is more than enough for a beast of a pc. Not Ti beast, but beast nonetheless.

Here's a $1150 rig - pcpartpicker.com/list/4QY4m8

Here's a $1485 rig - pcpartpicker.com/list/8rf6jc

>my budget is 1500
>Nothing special

$1500 gets you a very special pc that will run Fallout 4 at 1080p on full Ultra settings at 130 fps. Do you mind spending $6 more?
pcpartpicker.com/list/T8vgNN

Get a R5 1600 for $220. 4 more cores, 8 more threads. Comes with free cooler. You can get the cheapest B350 for $90 and still overclock to the highest. Get a stick of fast ram; 3000 Mhz or 3200 Mhz is good and latency doesn't matter. Really good for the money. Wait until April 11.

Replace the 1050 Ti with an RX 470. Small difference in price, large difference in performance. I know you're going to play old games, but the price is too good to pass up.

Is there a similar motherboard without this issue?

Good deal.

I agree about the RAM speeds, I'm just saying it's more of an obvious handicap to cheap out on RAM with Ryzen, not that anyone should really do that with intel either as there are universal benefits to better speeds.

Hey user, do you realize he included peripherals too? This is his first PC after all.

What a garbage ass computer for all that money

>pcpartpicker.com/list/4QY4m8
is good with money left over the monitors and speakers and shit.

I got 2x16GB for $135 but it's 2133 CL15 back 2 weeks before Ryzen came out. Hoping an overclock works well. Haven't gotten to try it yet.
I need 32GB for work and even though I can afford more it seemed absurd what the prices were for faster stuff.
I could have gotten 2x16GB of 3000 CL15 for like $180. I should have done that in retrospect.

I'll just wait for RAM to drop again and buy faster stuff and sell this.

All that money for just a 256GB SSD and that doesnt' leave money for his monitors and shit that he obviously was including in his budget.
That build is pretty garbage, too.

Anyone that multitasks, runs a lot of programs, etc, and doesn't care about losing 5% FPS in games would be well served by a 1600, yeah.

That sounds good but I don't want one that sucks ass where I can't do a few things at once, honestly I don't know anything yet so this would be my first time build and I just wanna make sure it'll last me a while and work fine later on, so with a budget of 700-900 what would you make ?

you can't run fallout 4 at 130fps, the game's speed is tied to its framerate

>budget of 700-900
pcpartpicker.com/list/bQnZPs

>people actually recommending ANY Ryzen
kek
It's like you forgot how GOAT the 7350K and 7600K are

>you can't run fallout 4 at 130fps

You most certainly can run Fallout 4 at 130 fps. I run Fallout 4 at 130 fps. You have to make two tweaks to the ini, but then it runs well above the 72 fps that it was pegged at.

In both fallout4.ini and fallout4prefs.ini, look for "iPresentInterval=1" and change it to "iPresentInterval=0". Then in fallout4.ini, add to the bottom -

[HAVOK]
fMaxTime=0.0069

That is the fMaxTime for a 144Hz monitor. You can search for other times for other monitor speeds.

You do realize that around $500 in that list are peripheral stuff? This is the dude's first actual PC after all; probably doesn't know much. I don't blame him for fucking up a little regardless.

>It's like you forgot how GOAT the 7350K and 7600K are
4 thread garbage

Seriously though, for someone's first PC a GTX1060 and midrange CPU is nothing to sneeze at, especially if he's used to playing games on a PS4.

>That build is pretty garbage, too.

user, there is literally nothing garbage about pcpartpicker.com/list/T8vgNN
That's a solid, non-meme build. Maximum bang for the buck.

4 threads faster than 4.5GHz is better than 6 "cores" stuck at 3.5GHz

You could probably bump up the CAS latency to 17 and see how high you can increase the frequency before you consider changing your RAM.

Frequency > Latency for Ryzen.

>You do realize that around $500 in that list are peripheral stuff
Yes? I even said that in my post about money being left over for monitors and speakers and shit. So obviously I noticed that.

Awful, overpriced for what you get. 256GB ADATA SSD in a $1500 build. May as well have no SSD at all.

It's not, though.

Due to a corporate budget surplus, I have some money to build a new computer.

>I must spend at least $2000 (or else next year's budget gets cut)
>Cannot exceed $3400, preferably doesn't exceed $3000
>Parts must be ordered before May 15, so can't wait too long for anything to come out
>Can't buy a bunch of 1080ti's and sell them later, or anything like that
>Can't build 2-3 medium-tier computers, must be single desktop
>Can buy (a single) monitor, mouse, and keyboard, but no other peripherals
>Machine will be used for linear and integer programming, everyday tasks (internet surfing, preparing presentations, etc), and viewing 4k content.
>No overclocking possible
>The machine can't have any non-standard designation, e.g. can't double as a server, or have some special surface for drawing blueprints or anything like that

tl;dr: What's the most bang I could get for $2-3k?

What about on the 900 dollar end side, willing to spend a little more if need be for something solid ? Thanks again user

It is though
Just compare the 7700K at 5.2GHz to a heavily overclocked 1800X at 4.0GHz. The 7700K wins hands down.

Yeah I'm hoping I can get at 2666 or 2800 at CL16-17.

>Cannot exceed $3400, preferably doesn't exceed $3000
X1950 16 core should be around $1250-$1750.
X1900 12 core should be around $800-$1200
Money left over for a 1TB SDD, a nice 2560x1600 monitor, and so on.

I won't include the peripherals next time, but I appreciate the advice all the same. Since I'm going to be spending that much anyway; might as well get a better deal for the $$.

Thanks all. I'll keep an eye on the thread just in case.

Did you even read the third line
>and you have to factor in monitor/keyboard/mouse to your budget