Fresh athlon xp 1800+ reviews out!

get em' while they're hot!
>techreport.com/review/2975/amd-athlon-xp-1800-processor
>anandtech.com/show/835
>pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-Athlon-XP-1800-Processor-and-Technology-Review

overall it looks smookin! giving a nice ass pounding to intel. 1800+ for $265 whoops the $580 p4 2.0ghz. of course though some of the reviewers have to make it a point to state "buh muh northwoods will be coming soon from intel!! our masters!!"

Other urls found in this thread:

datasheets.chipdb.org/AMD/Other/26951_3.00.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>1.53GHz
>"1800"

clock speed isn't what matters. its how efficient the architecture is. so a amd athlon @ 1.53ghz is as fast as a pentium 4 @ 1.8ghz. athlon is more efficient since it can do more work at lower speeds than the intel.

yeah but how do i install a heratsink on that babby without cracking the shit up?
intels got sweet piece of metal on them, it just werks m8

Proof that they're all the same! Nobody needs more than a 1.4GHz T-bird.

get a brian you moran

nice meme

I've been gaming at 1600x1200 since 1999. Nobody wants to see 640x480x16 anymore. It's unrealistic!
Face it, all games are GPU limited, so there's no reason for anyone to get a faster CPU.

My second computer right after commodore had this CPU. Thanks user for reminding me that hard fucker who stand still working even in 120°C because of oc.

I bet you enjoy your 24 cinematic frames per second and don't even notice it, n00b!

amd does have a list of certified heatsinks that will fit fine... as long as you're not the hulk who just smashes stuff together.

>Nobody wants to see 640x480x16 anymore.

Shit I ran with one of these for almost four years. It worked even though I chipped the corner putting the heatsink on. Hot as fuck though.

Me: 2004-2012

They increased the IPC compared to the previous K7 chips (Athlon Xp was really quite improved compared to Thunderbird), so the performance rating was supposed to reflect that. Also people were dumb then and if they only advertised clock, peeps would think it is only as good as Pentium 4 on the same frequency.

>I chipped the corner putting the heatsink on
who didnt tho, that thing needed retard strength

>while they're hot!
literally 68C idle

helo

AMD used to have an approved list of phase change materiel to go between the die and heat sink and recommended that users didn't apply regular thermal paste due to pump out.

The document doesn't seem to be around any more but I did find this datasheets.chipdb.org/AMD/Other/26951_3.00.pdf

thermal pad for bare die
thermal paste for lidded processors

You have to be over 18 to post

They should run it at 320x240 to remove the gpu bottleneck from the benchmark

>muh low resolution benchmarks
Intel shill detected.

Wait what the fuck is going on

New CPUs just released. Tsk tsk tsk, you should really keep up with the times, user.

>thermal pad for bare die
This was recommended so people wouldn't crack so easily the dies with their heatsinks

Have you been living under a rock?! The Athlon XP 1800 just came out! Look how flustered Intel is! They have no chance!

Hey anons, is it a good idea to go Intel? Seems like new CPUs were just released, and the last time I checked, AMD's and Intel's IPC difference was negligible; but this time, Intel has the higher clock speed. Any thoughts?

>intels got sweet piece of metal on them, it just werks m8
enjoy your shitty cooling performance

That's funny, because the next years AMD actually BTFO Intel several times, must have sucked to be a Intel fag at that time

I'm only asking for advice for the latest CPUs, user. Any help would be appreciated.

Fucking this

you would have been fine with either really, they ended up matching each other for most tasks sooner or later and by the time K8's significant leap forward really translated into something significant for a typical end user they were both outdated garbage

in the end it was just a matter of shekels and preference

>ywn know the joy of your athlon build BTFOing your friends Pentium 4 build ever again

now i'm sad I sold mine, should've kept it

as am i. i miss my old athlon 64 3500+ the most.

It was AMDs marketing back then that named them, 1800 processors were supposed to be approximately equivalent to a 1.8Ghz Intel Pentium 4.

The Athlon XP were the only AMD processors that were actually superior to Intel, due to the massive failure of the Netburst architecture.

Another massive disappointment. Intel invented cpus, and just copied them. Never give your money to copycats.

>The Athlon XP were the only AMD processors that were actually superior to Intel, due to the massive failure of the Netburst architecture.
Athlon XP wasn't completely dominant over Willamette, Athlon 64 was

lol tomhardware just show amd cpu burn it self, Amd finish and bankrupt

>Intel invented CPUs
>He forgot about the f-14 CADC
>He forgot about the Four-Phase System AL1 CPU

Good goyim.

I still have a Barton core Athlon XP 2600+ sitting right next to me that houses my old IDE HDDs for backup purposes and playing old games.

That thing was a beast back then.

i used an Athlon XP 2000+ for 7 years

ask me anything

Quake, UT or CS (CS is for lowskill fags btw)?

I like all those games, but I didn't play any of them with the Athlon

To be apt, I had no money and wasn't even old enough to know I could buy something for my AGP slot. I played PSOBB, Simpsons Hit & Run, Maple Story, Starcraft, Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and I emulated a lot of things. Sony Vegas, Flash 8, and FL Studio were my favorite things to use. When August 2009 rolled around, the motherboard finally kicked the bucket. Amazing CPU.

Is John Titor real?

Now where have I heard this before...

Hey, Power was the shit. If only IBM could have shrunk it down and made it more efficient..

I was on Quake lanparties nearly every weekend. Those were the times when multiplayer FPS really took off.

There was a list for parties at www.lanparty.de and we went to everything we could find in western Germany with a core group of about 10-15 people from around Cologne.
It wasn't as anonymous as it is today with everyone sitting at home. You could actually make real life friends like this. Great times.

>Jazz Jackrabbit 2
Better than Mario or Sonic imho. Also dat soundtrack mang..

>FL Studio
I was more of a demoscene tracker guy. Went from Composer 669 to Scream Tracker 3 to Impulse Tracker.

Oh I know, I'm just playing
>800mhz shitting on intel at 2GHz
Those things where glorious.

>Quake
Shogo was better

Nah, I'm happy with my PIII-S.

Shogo was pretty awesome, but Quake was where the pro gaming was at.

I loved the Shogo mod that pitted one player in a mecha against all of the others playing regular humans in a team.

Is anyone else a bit sad that the athlon and pentium names are used for their respective companies budget chips now?

It feels kinda weird, yeah.