What's Sup Forums general position on social media? Is it a good thing? Bad thing?

What's Sup Forums general position on social media? Is it a good thing? Bad thing?

Personally, I've been using a few different social media networks for a few years (namely FB and Twitter, and yes, sometimes snapchat), but I'm beginning to reach a point where I'm now viewing them as a massive time sink, and something that I should eliminate for my own self benefit.

What about you guys?

Ask yourself what good are they actually doing you.

It's pointless. Dropping social networking was the best decision I've made in quite a while.

This
Save all the pic from those sites you want to keep and get rid of them all.
I still use FB but createda group of the 10 people I talk to and dont even look at my wall. I use it to organize the bros to come over but I post no pictures or up dumb updates

I could never get into it, I have most of them but I really have to force myself to use them is I ever do. Snapchat I get, it's just a better way to send pictures or videos than SMS but I know some people who can't manage to close the app. It seems like the people who use it are the ones that need constant gossip, approval, attention, etc. so I'm not really the target audience but I see how it could be helpful if you need those things.

It causes depression and anxiety for a great number of people. Unless you are in high school or college it's a useless past time. Deleted all my social media about 3 years ago and haven't gone back.

Btw 'how to delete fb permanently' trends higher and higher on google trends every single year since FB launched.

They aren't doing me any good at all, that's the thing. I'm 99% sure the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on them yet, particularly Facebook, is that I have some perceived sense of utility for them. For instance, I know some people where my only route of contact would be via Facebook.

I dunno, maybe I'm just making excuse. Right now I spend about an hour a day scrolling through feeds.

It's bad for productivity, especially if your work involves using the computer.
But here I am on Sup Forums, doing the same shit.

I know where you're coming from. I want to delete my accounts but there's a part of me that knows I'll just waste more life on this site.

feelsbadman.jpg

don't lie to me miss swift, you pay someone to does that for you!

btw, checked

I'm at uni and everyone uses it, including myself. I've gone way too far down the sm rabbithole

they are garbage

>For instance, I know some people where my only route of contact would be via Facebook
stop contacting them

there is huge potential for some form of social networking/media platform.

sadly the current major iterations are shit and getting shitter.
in large part because jew. once the accountants have any say in anything, its fucked. also the design department should fuck off.

imagine how fucked our dear cretan salad bowl manufacturing advisory board would be if the layout and functionality changed every 6-12 months...

i would never advise someone to get on it. but if you're on it and get some productive value from it, just keep it to a minimum.
and if you want to get off, do.

>be me
>be in engineering class
>professor posting school stuff on facebook in class
>asks us to raise our hands if we use facebook
>like two people raise their hands out of 40

>What's Sup Forums general position on social media?
Absolute trash. I never used any of them when they first came out, and never will. If I want to talk to someone I will give them a call or meet them face to face. Social media is a shitty timesink for vapid narcissistic cunts to spew useless shit about their lives that no one gives two fucks about.

I'm 26, I've quit the social media privacy black hole, feeling good, the amount of time I used to spend scrolling through that fucking facebook timeline makes me shudder.

The last social media site I used was MySpace.

Let the cancer run its course. It's already doing exactly what it should be doing: removing useless turds from the world and containing them in their own shit-filled playpen.

> tl;dr -- culling the stupid from the gene pool is a Good Thing

I don't even have social media apart from shitty bloated chat program that is Line.

They bring nothing good into anyone's life.
Huge time sink
They gather most people attention to fewer sites. For some Facebook is synonymous with Internet.
Censorship.
Unethical business practices(selling user data, fuck that)

They are corporate and legal equivalent of Internet heroin.

If you don't use social media, you don't have a social life. Period.

>social life
>on a website
lel ?

Social media is pure cancer. I use none of them.

It's about to collapse. Ad tech is a scam and companies are starting to wake up.

It's like asking me what I think about guns.

well, you can use social networks to spy on people. There are tons of information

nothing wrong with using nosebook while being an /uni/ fag, i use it too, but only to check if some classes are skipped or if some hw/project is to be done for the next day (in case i forget about it)

it's also useful to communicate during finals, i got way above passing grades without spending a minute to actually learn anything

once i'm finished i'll say good bye, good luck and delete account

>without spending a minute to actually learn anything
Why does this make me A N G E R Y ?

because you don't live in the wonders of a corrupt 2nd world country where nothing can be as strict as in a 1st world country, because otherwise people wouldn't give a shit about it, but you have to put effort into something i didn't and end up in the same position, but neither of us will use that knowledge and so you're A N G E R Y

i deleted my social media accounts and MI5 came to my house and wanted to question me, i don't think people are supposed to NOT have social media anymore..

anyway i just told them to bugger off, pushed this one 'tough gal agent' woman away since she was going to use her foot to block my door and shut it. they hung around for an hour in their car (they thought i couldn't see it, thats why i put CCTV on my roof) and then drove away.

>not even a semblance of freedom of speech, political correctness and censorship enforced
>revolves entirely around people, instead of being a place where people meet (literally a forum)
>no actual debate or discussion, no sharing of knowledge
>only attention whoring, virtue signaling, echo chambers, block button
>zero privacy, ads, etc.

I'm not around here for no reason.

I have found that by slowly isolating myself from friends and family, I have got to a point where I no longer need Social Media.

Nice pic of the president in the oval office.

sounds legit

What would be the perfect social media platform?

I've been building one for about 5 months now and I'm trying to keep it more like reddit where its more about subjects than selfies

I deleted my Facebook account half a year ago and I have not missed it.

The only thing I hate about facebook is the stupid shit people post,like meme images and related shit.
I don't use anything but facebook so idk about other social media.

Never really saw the point in the real-identity social media. Not that I'm not honest when I'm online, or even less reserved, but it's more that I just don't see what my physical presence has to do with my digital presence that is being thrown out into the world.

Export feeds you like to an RSS reader. Then quit using the sites.