Pi general I guess

I'm a new pifag and am looking for some software probably.

It seems pretty simple but I haven't been able to google it. I just want VNC over Bluetooth. I'd love to control my headless pi via my tablet without using the onboard wifi -- basically so I can instead use that to connect a network at work or wherever where I might need to input credentials.

Any ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

ownyourbits.com/2017/02/13/nextcloud-ready-raspberry-pi-image/
codeglobe.blogspot.cl/2009/02/at-command-set-for-sony-ericsson.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ordered a RPi zero W yesterday.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with it

Maybe I'll run a minecraft server

im using my pi right now to act as a door chime when a customer enters my dads business.

almost no sounds are able to play over bluetooth. They just produce a crackling sound.. its either wifi interference or something else i dont understand

I got one of those. It can't even run desktop youtube, it could barely run mobile youtube.

I couldn't find a use for RPi zero... way to underpowered... perhaps make a cluster?

I am able to get sound on some of my Bluetooth audio devices but yeah, there's crackling.

Lisp machine.

It can make an excelent router/firewall, you can connect it to an external drive and make a NAS, attach a camera and have remote surveillance... the possibilities are endless outside of gayming.

It's pretty comfy for playing with digital electronics.

You can make it act like an ethernet device so you just need to hook it up to a pc on its OTG port, then you can power and control it with just one cable.

I'm going to see if I could watch Chinese live action movies on it.

The antenna really sucks. Tried it out at a closer range to see if thag fixed it?

Two Orange Pi PC cluster doing Asteroids@Home.
Each task takes about two days.

How difficult to make a torrent machine?
Planning to seed and download a lot of files an my pc just consumes too much energy for it.

It's almost too slow to even handle one torrent. Mine always torrents full speed for 30 seconds, then goes back to zero for a couple minutes then repeat. Rpi3

Speaking as someone who just a couple of months ago ran a battery of tests comparing the signal consistency with respect to orientation, strength, and smoothness of strength falloff with respect to distance of the rp3 onboard Bluetooth radio and about 5 different brands of USB Bluetooth dongles - the onboard radio was significantly worse than any of the dongles. The best performing dongle was made by Cirago, but i think it was also the most expensive. The second best was some three letter acronym (SMK? I forget.) The other dongles didn't perform significantly differently from each other.

Lest I appear to be a desperate shill trying to get what's left of my Bluetooth dongle quota filled by posting on a New Zealand tattooing forum, I'll point out that the only reason I remember exactly which brand we chose because my team ordered like 200 of them and must have wiped out the Internet's stock of them entirely because the order took twice as long to fill as was quoted, they arrived in packets of 4-5 every say or so, and we had to keep explaining to our department chair that the reason why the contractors were sitting on their asses instead of installing the pis in the ceiling was because "the Cirago dongles haven't arrived yet".

call me when it has gigabit port or bandwidth though usb dongles

I have the Rpi3 too, well maybe I just buy a cheap laptop and call it a day. although I'm interested in finding cheaper alternative.

Make a gameboy.

I have sex with mine.

Just get an used laptop on craiglist.
I got a laptop with a 4th gen i5 and 8gb of ram for 20 bucks just because it has a cracked screen (which doesnt matter to me, since its goal is to be used as a webserver/HTPC/retro gayming)

a $40 smartphone at wal-mart already plays gameboy

real buttons nerd boy.

and fun hobby

autism therapy

is there anything these devices can actually do that warrants them being in a cluster vs an actual x86_64 processor?

isnt the entire point to light leds and read sensors, maybe some point of sales stuff?

clusters look cool and all but im thinking its just marketing

Is there a way to use the raspberry pi to stream music over the Internet?
I've already made an ftp server but I have no idea what I do next

Kek

Get the fuck out of here

from what I gather it's just a fun hobby for some and you'd be better off with even an old cheap cpu.

No bully pls

exactly! learning, investigating, trying or even having fun is just unamerican and unprofitable!

really it should be banned

>way too underpowered

Its the same processor as the Pi 1 but stock OC to 1Ghz. Its meant for hobby shit and embedded DIY dumbass, you can make an airplay receiver, a weather monitor, camera, car audio kit, shit like that. Contrary to popular belief, just because it runs Linux doesn't mean it has to be compared to a full server rig.

I got bored with mine afer dicking around and now it's just serving as a kodi box.

I'm considering designing a way to mount it on a 5.25 drive bay with a IR blaster to control motorized wheels I'd install on my PC case

>I'm considering designing a way to mount it on a 5.25 drive bay with a IR blaster to control motorized wheels I'd install on my PC case

Why?

what do they do? Did you code whatever they do yourself or use some ready software?

I got easy access to a 3d printer and laser cutter at my recent job and I want to start dabbling in industrial design

Ethernet port or microUSB?

GPIO port

Right now it is all ready software, boinc and openmpi.
However, now that I have openmpi set up I can code stuff to be run by the cluster.

Why an IR Blaster though?
2$ buys you an RF receiver and transmitter module.

And what does the cluster do? Anything useful?

I was thinking about controlling it through my smartphone and thought it would be the easiest way to implement this.

Easiest method would be to just make a simple web server exposing the controls.

Right now it's not doing anything particularly useful. It is running Asteroids@Home, like I said, which is basically 3D mapping asteroids.

>I just want VNC over Bluetooth.

That would imply IP networking over Bluetooth.

But my understanding is that Bluetooth is specifically designed for low-power applications (to conserve battery life on gadgets), which would probably make it pretty slow for a bandwidth-intensive app like VNC.

Anyway -- search google for "ip over bluetooth" "raspberry pi" to understand what configuration is needed.

ownyourbits.com/2017/02/13/nextcloud-ready-raspberry-pi-image/

I'm thinking about dropping the pi zero w hidden somewhere in my uni with an ssh tunnel.

Who /mischief/ with their pi here?

I track wifi devices using MoocherHunter in my uni to get free Pis.

I dropped a raspberry pi zero (no w) with a wifi dongle into the wall of my old college dorm behind the electrical socket. It's still there and I can still access it, but I don't really know what to to with it except tunnel through it to use its IP

How come you're not doing this already user?

Is it connected through Ethernet?

make it into a vpn server, sniff traffic, MITM

pretty sure minecraft is a ram hog

>Is it connected through Ethernet?
No, hence the wifi dongle. I wouldn't be able to connect it to an ethernet port without somebody noticing it.
>make it into a vpn server
Not much reason to. Obviously all the ports on its network are closed, so I have to tunnel through the control server it maintains an ssh connection to if I want to even get to it, which makes it dog slow. If I need its IP for something I just use ssh to make a temporary SOCKS proxy and use that.
>sniff traffic, MITM
The dorm's network is surprisingly well isolated. I can't see any of the other traffic on the network

>didn't even give me a (you) when responding to me
fuming lad

If they change the wifi password, or the wifi gets disabled, you lose the device.

>If they change the wifi password, or the wifi gets disabled, you lose the device.
I know, hence I was only willing to do this with $5 of hardware.

I do have a plan for that though. There are multiple networks visible from where it is, and one is a staff network that had a password similar to one of the resident networks. A script goes through and connects to some of the known networks in order and does a network test, then falls back to trying to connect to any open network, and then falls back to trying to connect to a network of a specific name which I can make with a hotspot if I ever want to go back and fix it.

nice one pal

Zeros are hard to find, they sell for near 20$

That's not true at all. My local Microcenter sells them for $1 each and I've gotten 5 of them from different trips (they only allow you to buy one at a time)

You can get them for 5 bucks with a little patience.
At least when you're an eurofag.

Jesus christ I have to pay 50$ for them and the other ones.

Why would they sell them at a loss?

fukcing autist

get a fucking job ratehr than piss around doing nothing with shitty hardware

because they're shit an no-one with any real sense apart from autistic neckbeard faggots buys them

There's a lot more demand for Zeros than supply.
There's no reason to sell them at loss.

this is what autistic neckbeard pifags actually believe

buy a real computer kid

I have a raspberry pi 2b and it can't handle minecraft. Your zero won't make it.

rpi3 can run fuchsia.

Fuchsia is a superior OS to Linux.

neck yourself

You could Google "how to stream music over WiFi" maybe even throw raspberry pi in that search field while you're at it.

mpd

Why were you doing this? I'm curious what's the use of ceiling pi

>Buying a kit instead of designing your own

ISHYGDDT

It's made to plug some sensors and deliver JSON data through Ethernet.
I would plug an old Sony Ericsson phone to it and use it to send SMS spam.

codeglobe.blogspot.cl/2009/02/at-command-set-for-sony-ericsson.html

To be honest I'm about to buy 5 orange pi zeros and drop them into public WiFi with reverse ssh tunnels.

Has anyone done this?

it doesn't have ethernet

just use a 2$ esp8266 for that shit
(you can also get gsm sms modules for that much btw)

There is no need to be upset.

Why would you use SMS spam

To remind every day someone owes you money, for example.

>pi
Reminder

To get people in the door. If you come in to buy a zero, you're also going to probably buy some accessories for it and maybe anything else that catches your eye

>no cost row
>$5 boards vs $80 boards

>$5
>anything
Lel. Most of these boards cost as much as rPi. Face it, rPi is applel of single board computers. It overprices ancient hardware.

Port forwarding but not an entire server.

While I agree with your statement, the support for the rPi line can't be compared to the others. Hardkernel is probably the closest, as they provide documentation. The rest are chink shit with no support right now. Thats the only reason why Pi's are so popular, its easier to get full support and documentation for the hardware than it is on other boards. I own an ODROID C1 and it's tough to get the same stability on Debian than on the Pi 1, 3 and Zero that I own. The thing fails to read the SD card at least 1 in 3 reboots no matter what card I use. Makes a great microserver though for local storage and Plex (minus transcoding)

The RPi Zero, which is on that chart, is $5

Oh not to mention with the Pi 3 they have experimental full-ish OpenGL drivers out there for the VideoCore chip, instead of being locked down to GLES only. Just as an example of what I'm referring to. I havent heard of this being done with other boards yet.

It was sold out in a week and you couldn't get it for less than $10 after that.

Is there an alternative to the Raspberry Pi Zero W with a similar form factor?

Orange Pi Zero I believe, but as for specific performance and reliability I'd be talking out my ass. Also it has a full Ethernet and USB port on it so that may not match the similar form factor you want.

orange pi zero

Kind of. There are similar boards but support for them is shit.
This has MUCH better hardware than rPi Zero, but it heats up too much on load. Quad core CPU is kind of unnecessary desu.

I want to do a remote controlled wireless camera. Couple servos and video streaming through wifi, nothing too fancy, but in a package as small as possible.

Which board would you recommend for that? I thought of the Raspberry Pi Zero W because it supports that camera module and has an antenna built in already, but I guess I could also attach a USB webcam to another board.

>my local
>my
>local
For the remaining users it's unavailable for less than $8 unless they live exactly where the user does.

>For the remaining users it's unavailable for less than $8
Which is still a tad less than $80