youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
noooxml.wikidot.com/open:rejectooxmlnow
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(software)#Use_in_the_media_industry
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

definitely for a home computer

my mother and sister hasnt used windows in 5 years

Yes

Normies even prefer it if you count Android.

no. macOS is.

why? because Linux has no commercial apps from likes of Adobe, Microsoft, Autodesk etc.

lol no

If you don't plan on playing games or doing any important work, sure why not.

Haven't used windows in years

It has everything normies need. Browser, email, and libreoffice is all 99% of normies need

Depends on your needs.

/thread

I've been dual-booting for years now, and sadly, I have to say no.

It made a lot of improvements, but it still lacks in important parts.

Considering that Linux knowledge and support is now part of the A+ Course/Exam I'd say yeah.

This.

I'm being held hostage by MS Office.

As someone who consistently distro hops consistently because I like trying new versions, never. As much as I want it to be a competitor, a bunch of unpaid code monkeys will never outpace corporations with stupid amounts of money like Apple and Microsoft, because they have the incentive advantage. Its a battle of who has the bigger banana over their monkeys' heads.
So, Linux will always lag a couple years behind. And Apple and Microsoft will be free to steal ideas, with zero repercussion, from then because distros ate open source. Makes me sad since I actually like Linux.

I have been using Linux at home and work for ten years. Don't feel a need for anything else.

I'd rather use Windows than macOS. What an horrible ergonomical experience. And now that you can run an Ubuntu base system on Windows, why bother with a slow, outdated, uncustomizable OS?

yes
my laptop has been running arch linux for over 2 years now
every game I want to play I can just stream from my gaymen server

Wine or libreoffice

For home use if you aren't bothered about gaming, 100% yes.

I was surprised at how good has LibreOffice become in the last years, give it a try

>Taking time out of your life to fudge an imperfect solution when you can just stick with your current OS and have everything you need work perfectly out of the box

I own an Asus K501UX-DM165D and I still have problems with the WiFi and proper handling of the SSD too.
With the 4.10 kernel the wifi is now partially working.

Yes, if you're willing to be patient and learn a few new things.

If you like games, there are quite a few on both Steam and GOG nowadays with Linux compatibility. Web browsing works flawlessly. Libreoffice has your basic word processing, spread sheet creation, etc. covered. There are several options for playing back video files in high quality, there's DeaDBeeF for music, there's Cinelerra for video editing, there's Audacity for audio editing, LMMS if you need a DAW.

The only thing I can think of that it really lacks is good photo editing software. GIMP isn't as bad as people say it is, but it's really not great. You can run Photoshop under WINE, I suppose, but there's always the chance of instability with that.

Overall I think Linux is very much a viable alternative to Windows today, especially considering how hard Microsoft has been fucking people lately with the ads and forced updates among other bullshit in Windows 10.

If you have a hard dependency on a windows-only program that doesn't run on wine i agree, otherwise there's actually some very good tools on linux for a lot of areas:
Kicad
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
Natron
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
Unity3D
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
Opentoonz
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
Godot engine
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
BricsCAD VS Autocad
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
Bricscad
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
Freecad Demo
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
Freecad BIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
Freecad & 3D printing
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
Gimp 2.10 features
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
How to install photoshop on wine
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
Digikam
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
Pixar Film Production
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
Linux art 1
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
peppercarrot.com/

> implying Apply and Microsoft don't spend all of their time data mining their customers and developing backdoors for CIA

I have to share a lot of work with more people at work and last time I tried LibreOffice wasn't 100% compatible with MS Office.

I agree on this, I'm not going to put extra work on my fucking work just for autism's sake.

Show you tits

Regarding games there's already a good number of games if you prefer linux, so if you like games but "hardcore" gaming or using FPS as a e-penis measure is not a priority for you linux is pretty good right now. Relevant pasta:

Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos

WHAT A SLUT

post more

Depends on your needs but that differences are not LO fault. ODF is well documented and is an ISO standard. OOXML is supposed to be an ISO standard but unfortunately the program that creates +98% of OOXML documents doesn't honors that standard and uses a proprietary variable. Standards are supposed to provide compatibility among competing solutions but due to the OOXML variant used by MSO needing to be reverse engineered this makes the ISO certification moot. In fact there's info about OOXML being pushed just as a PR move done under shady circumstances.
noooxml.wikidot.com/open:rejectooxmlnow

I'm not sure about your requirements but in general:
- Use libreoffice and save your documents in ODF if you want to be always the owner of those documents and never depend on one entity. IF you need to share that document and it'll not be edited by other people use PDF.
- For documents that needs to be edited by more than one person i recommend online solutions like google docs. Honestly, unless you definitely need a feature only available on MSO, google docs is much nicer for working collaboratively.
- If you need to deal with Microsoft formats and you don't want to use their products you can check onlyoffice or WPS office.
- If you don't mind to use microsoft products but you don't like windows you can run MS office 2007 or 2010 on wine. I think you can run MSO 2013 with a recent version of crossver but i'm not sure about wine.

In 95% of the cases i'm well covered by libreoffice and google docs.

Nice list of shitty and inferior open source packages that no one fucking uses to make a real living from.

Hot opinions. Oh, almost forgot, also this if someone's interested:
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

WOW! One fucking package that costs thousands of dollars for a software license and thousands of dollars for custom hardware. And they literally sell hundreds of licenses.

You sure showed me the superiority of Loonix!

>that no one fucking uses to make a real living from.
I didn't knew pixar works for free, just saying.
Also blender has been used in movies, for example spiderman 2:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(software)#Use_in_the_media_industry
Pic related shows how many money they made with that movie if on doubt.

Wheew, that one is new for me.

>WOW! One fucking package that costs thousands of dollars for a software license and thousands of dollars for custom hardware. And they literally sell hundreds of licenses.
It was implied previously that there's no professional proprietary paid software on linux, this becomes a devil proof at best and an attempt to perpetuate myths and thrash-talk linux. Please tell me in what way that benefits you?

>You sure showed me the superiority of Loonix!
What? dude each one judges that and each one has different needs and tastes. This sound a lot like a self induced inferiority complex that made you think this is an "us vs them" but seriously, learn to think by yourself.

DaVinci Resolve is a pretty good software (and free).

Kek.. Blender was used for a part of some scene for god-knows what... so that means it's great.

TOP KEK

Dude, I've worked for a VFX firm. Almost all of them use Maya or Houdini. No one I ever met used Blender. Blender's a joke.

If you want to shut me up, show me one studio-produced movie that was (majority) produced in Blender.

>important work
So programming isn't serious business.

MS Office
AutoDesk
Solidworks
Photoshop
Sony Vegas
etc etc

NO LINUX VERSION!

Linux = garbage for poorfags.. and webservers.

No. GNU/Linux is an operating system.
Windows is malware.

Windows is way more comfy than all Linux DEs combined. These are hobby OSes, not things designed to fit customers' needs. You have the choice between Middle-Age desktops like Xfce and LKDE and "modern" shit like GNOME that tries to be edgy and "innovative" while removing features and having the absolute worst ergonomy for the sake of "newness".

Don't forget that Linux is made by and for the companies. Almost nobody's interested in making a proper consumer OS on top of it. There are already two big OSes that are not that bad and there's nothing to gain from a Linux desktop except a "freedom" nobody cares about.

Nah, a kernel isn't a replacement for an operating system.

Stupid people use OS X. Average people or people using a PC for their job use Windows. Smart people use Linux. And even smarter people use OS X.

LXDE*

Also forgot to mention that some niche use cases are better served by a Linux OS, like C programming for embedded or servers. But overall Linux is for servers and serious, critical, boring shit and Windows/macOS/ChromeOS are for consumers.

nope, but never mind that bollocks, who is this semon demon?

If you don't plan on using your computer for productivity outside of using Libreoffice, sure.

>Kek.. Blender was used for a part of some scene for god-knows what... so that means it's great.
Provide proof, the wikipedia article i posted contains references, check by yourself.

>As an animatic artist working in the storyboard department of Spider-Man 2, I used Blender's 3D modeling and character animation tools to enhance the storyboards, re-creating sets and props, and putting into motion action and camera moves in 3D space to help make Sam Raimi's vision as clear to other departments as possible. – Anthony Zierhut, Animatic Artist, Los Angeles.

>Dude, I've worked for a VFX firm. Almost all of them use Maya or Houdini. No one I ever met used Blender.
It's a nice anecdotical evidence and i don't try to invalidate it, but your experience is not everyone's experience, it's common sense.

>Blender's a joke.
Please provide a reasoning because otherwise it's just an opinion i can disagree. Anyone can check the video at and judge by themselves if your claim is a fair one.

>If you want to shut me up
I don't want that tho, i cannot decide who talks and who don't.

>show me one studio-produced movie that was (majority) produced in Blender.
i cannot know the percentage of participation unless there's a public and detailed record but the wikipedia link contains some examples:

>The French-language film Friday or Another Day (Vendredi ou un autre jour) was the first 35 mm feature film to use Blender for all the special effects, made on Linux workstations. It won a prize at the Locarno International Film Festival. The special effects were by Digital Graphics[65] of Belgium.
>Tomm Moore's The Secret of Kells, which was partly produced in Blender by the Belgian studio Digital Graphics, has been nominated for an Oscar in the category "Best Animated Feature Film".
>Plumíferos, a commercial animated feature film created entirely in Blender,[68] was premiered in February 2010 in Argentina. Its main characters are anthropomorphic talking animals.

Asking the right question

Yes. Hardware support is great, we have great games on steam. If you're willing, start on ubuntu / Fedora and work your way up.

see

This

>avi arad
>laura ziskin
Shaloooooom!!!

Bumping for more answers.

Personally, I think part of being a "viable alternative" is how accessible it is. With windows and macos, there's a hell of a lot less sifting through forums stack overflow, and wikis to solve problems. Linux had gotten better with that, but its still not as solid.

>work perfectly
W10 introduced bugs in """shutting down""" process and have to reboot many times. Pathetic shit as its shils.

Yeah, the way of fixing things in Windows is reading a forum where everybody complains about a problem and waiting for Microsoft to roll out a patch.

I have to have Adobe premiere/photoshop/and after effects as well as a few others for my work. Is there no hope for me?

Depends on what language you work with, senpai. Use your head.

PS 2014 runs fine in Wine. I'm fairly sure Premiere and After Effects work too.

Just use one machine for work, another for personal activities. That's what I do.

I NEED TO KNOW!!!!

To the wank bank with you

All I have is a laptop, unfortunately for my work we're required to always have the latest versions, just part of the job.

Well, if you ever decide you want to play with it, dualbooting is an option.

Adobe is not the most linux friendly company desu, if you absolutely need those products and they don't work in wine (photoshop does) then there's not a lot of hope for you unless you want to setup a virtual machine if you dislike windows and you don't want to use mac instead. If you think you can learn something else check there's some nice alternatives to those.

Thanks friends, I'll keep it in mind :)

MOAR!

Linux,

Will NEVER be an alternative.

NEVER.

>being a living meme

If you use c/c++ then yes, it is serious work.
For other toddler languages Windows is ok.

Thank you, dubs man.

MS office works fine on linux what are you talking about?

Of you want to waste your time on a hobby os, sure

Or WPS Office.

Word 2016 works pretty well.

erika.harman at kikebook

Who is this server daemon?

WHO DAT SEMEN DEMON??

>Krita
Krita has gained insane amounts of steam in Gookland and Nipnong over the last few years
and holy shit is it a quality product

she looks 14 man

FUCKING PREACH!!!!!!

My literature teacher is 65yo and she have been using Ubuntu for 3 years. Anyone that want to learn can use Linux on a daily basis. You just need to be open. get it ? Open.

Legal in my country.

Or I'll just use something everybody else uses for years anf has proven track record of working without having to try to figure out shit nobody knows about.

Office online is pretty usable too. It's free and fast. I use it to "collaborate" with uni teammates. While LibreOffice can do pretty much everything I want it to, I sometimes use Word online to share files to other people.

I also send *.odf files to people and since word 2013-7 can open them, it's never a problem.

The whole hostage thing is overblown I think.

Another alternative is to use a win7 virtualmachine.

And because I like games, a dual boot with GNU/Linux. When I boot up GNU/Linux, I will bee productive.

look at her eyes and the corners of her mouth. You can see her skintone is altered by makeup. she's at least 22.

>swapping between two OS's
>productive
GPU passtrough or go home

Haven't needed windows in 6 years. Won't need to use Windows for the foreseeable future. Engineering doesn't use Windows anymore.

i only consider linux an option on really old machines where windows would be a pita / too slow

DaVinci Resolve is a industry standard, unlike meme stuff that retard hipsters think are standards like Adobe shitware and MS Office, or AutoCAD

If you don't do anything on Windows, you can do that almost as well on Linux. ("almost" only because you need a NEET around to update it)