He paid more than $40 for a laptop

>he paid more than $40 for a laptop

I got a T500 from some office's electronics-recycling pile for free.

Are you so bored that you have to meme about a used laptop that would skyrocket in price if everyone actually wanted it?

Stop telling people to buy thinkpads.

paid 30 for 2 eee 701s

I bought a t530 with a i5 for $200, d-did I do okay Sup Forums?

I don't care what anyone says, after 9 years my X61s is still running strong and works perfectly.

manjaro is better

x200 master race!

>uptime 0m

does anyone here actually use linux or do they just boot up their crusty shitpad to show off and then turn it off?

That's my go to image for my screenfetch which happens to be right after I upgraded to 16.04. I only use linux on my personal machines. It's also my only laptop.

Yeah
Now install gentoo and a FullHD screen

Replace T61 with T60 and T420 with T430 and it makes more sense

I want an old used thinkpad to tinker with, preferable with an alright battery. How much should I aim to spend?

around $150 if you want something with an i5

You can get a used T61 or X61 on ebay for $50

all used thinkpads look disgusting

>Chiclet ? T420 ?

I guess he did the opposite of the T430 keyboard mod

I paid 100 eurobucks for a used t420

I didn't pay for my T410, the guys at work gave it to me when we renewed our lineup.

>skype webcam

skype sells hardware now?

where do you get one of these?
thinking of buying one to have a kind of swiss knife backup that has all kinds of ports and functionality for troubleshooting just about anything

ebay?

I actually ordered a w520 a few days ago for tree fiddy. Pretty good damn deal for a workstation level laptop. 16 gigs of ram, i7, quadro gpu. Using it for cad programs exclusively.

Op enjoy your $40 shitposting machine. Some people work for a living.

I'm on my second t61p (beautiful screen its worth spending another 40 or so bucks every 3 years for when the GPU shits out) .. unless you NEED a desktop replacement I don't see a point to spending more than 100 dollars on a laptop

Grab a w530 off of ebay
1600x900 (whatever it is 15")
3720qm
k2000m
only cost about $350

I manage a hedge fund with my T61 literally every day, you're just a man child

>I manage a hedge fund with my T61 literally every day

Is this your first attempt at online lying? You have to tone it down a bit, next you'll be telling me your uncle worked on the Dreamcast.

pfft that's nothing. I'm a chef at Wendy's making 7 figures with a 12inch cock

no copy, very rare

>Not W500
kys

in 2014 i got 2 dell d830's for free

in 2016 i got a 256gb Macbook air for free - needed a new charger and got a 64gb iphone 6s for free - needed a new screen

beat that

>superior 16:9
Are there really people who think this?

Where the fuck does Sup Forums find these old work horses for $5? Who the fuck is throwing them away?

I got my x60 for free and it is still my most used pc

I got my T410 for $40. A few dead pixels in the bottom right of the screen, otherwise it's pretty good.

Normies

Is there any trick to getting a Thinkpad for dirt cheap/ free or is it just up to chance? I got a free T40 and a X40 back in 2009 but I haven't tried my luck since.

Enjoy your BIOS backdoors and nonfree firmware, cucks

Exactly $40, until I added more stuff to it

Well considering the laptop I wanted cost more than $40, yes, I did.

Just watch ebay until something good comes up.

spent 40$ for a t61 reporting in

I paid 120 USD for mine, it's almost new

I bought an incomplete t520 for $120 a little while go. All that was actually missing from it was the hard drive. I ended up taking a shitty 500GB drive from another computer, and bought a 1080p screen meant for an hp probook, and put it in the t530. At this point I've spent about $177 and gotten a splendid shitposting machine, but I kinda wish I had gotten one with a little more than intel hd 4000 for muh gaymins.

I'm so jealous

I only spent $2 on this abortion

lmao wtf is that
how many viruses did it have?

Just buy a T430 and upgrade the screen, faggot

it's an XPS M170, the nigger removed the hard drive and probably didn't do much with it since it's pretty pristine, I just stuck a spare in it and put a fresh install of MCE 2k5 on it

Got my T450s for free as well.

>1920x1080
>14 inch display
Do you use scaling? I'm curious if things are too small at that resolution with 14 inch display.

ITT: poorfags containment thred

t.macfag

Only the installer

Not an insult. Now go acquire your newest consumerist toy on a payment plan.

>ITT: fags
>not being of the W520 masterrace

>40$ dollars bucks

I just looked it up and that shits three hundred dollars

Don't expect battery to be good for any second hand product. Thinkpad batteries can be got for like $20 online

The 420 doesn't have chiclet keys.

>14"
>tiny
no

>computer name is the model of the computer
d i s g u s t i n g

nice man, Im actually running getco's servers on mine

I wanted to buy a used Thinkpad, but when i needed one they were all sold out (i don't want to buy on ebay, so i've looked in local classified ads), so i had to buy a Samsung with a Celeron for 70 euros.

>inb4 rofl lol ayy lmao

Yes, i feel a little cucked, but i needed a cheap laptop fast and wasn't very motivated to waste more time. The laptop works fine (the only problem are loose hinges).

>I paid $30 for a T410 and 256GB SSD when my friend went full retard

Everything looks fine to me. Everything is a bit small though.

>used ThinkPad
You might as well just cum in your own mouth. Cut out the middle man with all the dry cum stains you're gonna clean off the keyboard.

I understood that reference

Thinkpads are so easily stealable from my office but I only found out today then spent long enough at the cupboard that I'd be accused if any went missing. Missed out big time. My current x230i was stolen from my last workplace.

There were also Macbooks in the cupboard but fuck that

We use T420's with 480GB SSDs and 8GB of RAM at work. They're pretty snappy.

Thinkpad screens are ultra shit which I've never gotten used to. I've had my Memepad since 2013 and its just one thing that I can't get used to. But seriously everything else is great, I ran 2 Windows Server 2012 and 2 Windows 7 virtual machines and it performed with no problems. Plays csgo at 60-80 fps so its not really for gaming and all that faggot shit.

What machine is that?

Disregard original question, I suck cocks
Better question

Where the fuck did you get a T520 for $40??

the latter

I've been looking at ThinkPads so I can join the meme machine, and the ones I see online are all far more expensive than equivalent rival brands, like HP Elitebooks. Why are you all so passionate about this one brand of autistic laptop? Elitebooks are top quality.

Well fuck me
I bought T60 for 40€ and T61 for 70€

>quality
>HP

>he doesnt have a mobile housefire of a laptop
GEEE FOTEY MASTER RACE

nice
thats like my T42 but with a much better gpu

Your laptop isn't cool unless you can kill someone just by lightly tossing it in their direction

Wether the weight crushes them or the P4 goes thermonuclear

>buying a laptop

But it's still old.

T420 doesn't have chiclets/6row or copycat mac trackpad
*1 series did away with the magnesium lid
The color didn't change at all until *40 or something newer idc
fix your b8 faget
Get a decent ICC profile for it instead of using the blue contrastless shitfest Lenovo usually ships
Sup Forums drove demand way up, they used to be cheaper than Elitebooks and Precisions years ago
Any of them is good though

>mfw a pentium costs over 400$ in my country.

T420 and up: Working man's Thinkpads
T61: shitty NEETPad only good to rice your desktop and pretend to be female on IRC

>Gives his computer a name
Fucking kek

gb2reddit

>T420
>isn't old as fuck
kek, poorfag can't afford a T460

>Implying I browse leddit

I paid 250$ for my X220 refurbished

How do u like ur 14 pound. Computer

ebay

If you "work for a living", don't use a laptop. Use a proper desktop.

You heartless bastard. Every computer you use and love deserves a name.

>Get a decent ICC profile for it instead of using the blue contrastless shitfest Lenovo usually ships
Umm sweetie you can't fix a shitty panel with software tweaks

>tethering yourself to a desk and wasting space
Laptop and a build server. It's time to grow up.

>Nicolas-Cage-Face-20-Mona-Lisa
Of course you do
You can fix color temp and gamma, which makes a massive difference specially on the displays that Lenovo purposefully gimps to try to replicate the shitty broken office CRT's of the late 90's
>wat is calibration
>wat is a videlut
lrn something before shitposting, massive retard
>b-but you can't fix!11!! reeeeee!!!
According to ISF color accuracy is the second most important metric in display quality, only beaten by contrast
And bt1886 can subjectively improve contrast a lot
All of that can easily be done in software with a 3dlut, provided you can measure the display accurately
And a simple 1dlut can yield good enough results, which even an Intel 945G has

wtf i'm going to buy any shitty $5 monitor, calibrate it and make it look like a $5000 one

I like to be able to take my work anywhere I want and not be bothered with syncing my work across multiple devices. Laptop + dock is the winning combination.

>wtf i'm going to buy any shitty $5 monitor, calibrate it and make it look like a $5000 one
A thrift shop CRT will outdo any sRGB monitor in pretty much everything but sharpness with proper calibration, you need to get into Plasma (which is shit as a monitor) or OLED (which is still way above 5k) to get comparable results
A properly calibrate shitty display will always outdo some ridiculously inaccurate display, why would you think a display that does greens as reds would be better than a display that does greens as greens?
Also, nice fallacy and moving the goalposts, a proper ICC profile is a perfect way to improve the shitty T420/430 screens without spending a dime, bringing them to a level that won't give you headaches, it doesn't mean it suddenly will outdo the FHD W520 displays or whatever is shipped with TOTL Surface Pro's and MBP's