Unity 8 got forked

>Marius GripsgÄrd who is known for his work on UBports, the community effort trying to port Ubuntu Touch to as many devices as possible, is determined to keep going and looking to maintain Unity 8. He wrote on Google+ yesterday, "I'm not giving up! I will do my best to keep Ubuntu touch and Unity8 standing on both it's legs! It will be hard. The Ubuntu touch wheel is still spinning, and it has enough momentum to spin until we start spinning it with hopefully with greater force. Expect some news and idea drafts from the Ubports team in the coming weeks."

>Separately, there is now unity8.org as a fork of Ubuntu's Unity 8 code-base. "Following up with Mark Shuttleworth's announcement to abandon unity 8 development, we are planning to fork it and continue working with the project." The Unity8.org domain name is registered to a Ioannis Salatas, a name I wasn't able to find much about associated in the context of Ubuntu, but there is a John Salatas from the same address who has Linux development experience and has been involved with Linux development and is a former GSoC student.

We are back in business:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Unity-8-Community-Hopes
unity8.org/
github.com/unity8org/unity8org

He's just wasting his time, no one is going to use that. But as long as he has fun.

Forking projects was a mistake.

This is dumb. Just move on to Sailfish OS for a superior mobile UI experience already.

Forks are invetiable. Unity is trash tho

I-I like Unity, it just werks and is pretty like Aero

I think unity 8 is really cool

Canonical was smart to go with GNOME though.

This is Unity 8, it's far from finished. If it took Cannonical years to get this far and not finish it, how do you think one guy is going to complete the job?

I hope he gets rid of Mir. Unity is okay it's Mir that's the problem. He'll probably abandon it though, it's a lot of work for a one man project.

GNOME is even worse than Unity tho
Fucking hell who's running Ubuntu these days? Who's making these retarded decisions? I remember Hardy Heron 8.04 made windows fans super butthurt.

Is there a correlation between this kind of shit and Microsoft ever since M$ decided to stick bash in windows 10?

I'm hoping that canonical's version of gnome in Ubuntu will already come pre configured with extensions/shells that will give it a unity-like experience. Specifically keeping the global menu and decreasing the size of the window decorations/top bar.

Gnome 3 is kind of painful to use without ricing it first.

I remember Windows 7 coming up with alot of the GUI effects from Ubuntu compiz lol
It would be great if it was in gnome classic shell mode with the top and bottom bars and came with an orange theme

Hope they finish it and it's not going to be one of those stillborn projects.

Wayland isn't useful

Useful or not, like it or don't, Wayland IS the future.

Mir is a clone of Wayland with even less support. I know you may not like Wayland but Mir doesn't help anything.

absolutely. This idiot could contribute to the gnome Project and create pluggins and improvements rather than working on a dead distro.

Its like working on Firefox os instead of creating code and improvements for Android. Total waste of time.

that guy should fork kys and do us all a favour.

Pointless. It looks like shit and only retards will use it. Unity 8 is to unity 7 what Win10 UI is to Win7 Aero, an inferior looking flatshit embarrassment. It's a dead project and won't accomplish anything.

>This idiot could contribute to the gnome Project and create pluggins
Which would be scrapped within months since Gnome devs decided that they will break ABI and API compatibility every 6 months
>and improvements
Which the Gnome devs would never accept, like the filepicker patches that have been around for a whole fucking decade

>he likes aero
unironically neck urself

that being said unity should just die

It's the most beautiful UI windows ever had, followed by XP. The rest is garbage.

>being mad at the best desktop UI to ever be created
unironically go visit your mums grave and tell you that you miss her.

The first things he needs to do is ditch the names Ubuntu and Unity because those are trademarks of Canonical.

The idiot seems to be you, considering Unity 8 uses the Qt framework and GNOME is GTK trash.

agreed
>beautiful
>fake plastic-like shiny glass
ok you beautiful plastic-loving-dubs-getting cunts. you're safe this time.

I hope he renames it to something really stupid.

it's funny Sup Forums is so autistic when there's ornamental gimmicks in OSX but in windows it's beautiful and "the best ever"

>Just move on to Sailfish OS for a superior mobile UI experience
Is no one gonna anwser to that?
Because that was well meme'd kiddo

Excellent.

It will probably be a great learning experience for him, so there's that.

>If it took Cannonical years to get this far and not finish it, how do you think one guy is going to complete the job?
Hopefully he doesn't need to, he won't if other people step up and offer to help out. This is a very important point.

You may or may not be aware of this but Cannonical has for years been plagued with

a) wasn't developed here, can't use it
b) you don't work here, you don't matter, take your code and go away

If some kind of community forms around a Unity fork and random people take an interest in it and send patches then one guy merging them is enough. This is where Cannonical has failed miserably, they've basically discouraged people from getting involved.

>Which the Gnome devs would never accept
Gnome/RedHat is making the same mistakes as Cannonical in this regard, if you submit a useful patch then you're likely to get "wasn't written here, so no we won't even look at it".

Gnome's biggest problem though is their "it must be easy to use even if you're utterly stupid" attitude which results in them removing features and rejecting features because they could "confuse users". Just look at how much richer the KDE file picker is, it's like a file-manager. You can make folders, rename files and folders and so on. That's too many features, can't have that in GTK or GNOME.

it could be trash
but if it is abandoned cult trash someone will use it, just because they like that type of stuff

no disrespect
some people like to go against for no reason at all

It may be somewhat decent if they port it to Wayland.

It is now in the hands of the community. Do your magic, Sup Forums.