SSD prices are higher than they were 2 years ago

>SSD prices are higher than they were 2 years ago
WAKE ME UP

Now check DDR4 RAM prices.

it's called supply and demand user
it's not just desktop ssds that need nand

Price control. There's no competition so there's no reason to lower prices.

Chinese garbage doesn't count as competition.

>laptop oems finally realize HDDs a shit
>start making mid/high range laptops with SSDs standard

>get rid of SSDs
>get rid of RAM
>make CPUs with 5TB cache
>use cache for everything

You're an absolute imbecile or plain shill if you don't think the prices are anything but artificial.
This user is right

big fan of collusion

You shouldn't be calling anyone imbeciles when you don't understand price control nor the legalities of such. Ignorance is bliss huh

>implying 5TB is the optimal storage amount for every single user

I'm sure both of you shitposters are right to some degree.

BEFORE YOU GO-GO

NAND isn't some rare natural resource like gold.
The supply is ARTIFICIALLY limited, it's only limited by the number of factories.

Normally prices would go down with innovation and competition, especially when it's in such high demand. Innovation would make the process cheaper while companies build more factories in order to sell cheaper and grab marketshare.
But in this case there's no real competition because nand manufacturers are clearly colluding to cause the "shortage".

Just imagine if AMD and Nvidia stopped selling better and better CPUs for the same price, blaming it on "silicon shortage". Imagine if the 7700k was the same price as now but with the performance of a i7-4770.

With technology you can pretty safely assume that if there's innovation, competition and demand the prices will drop.

Is that fat youtuber retard in the gif? Forgot his name. Francis?

oh no, memory suppliers are fixing their prices!

This has LITERALLY never happened befo..oh wait

Maybe you'll see prices go down in ~70 years once patents start expiring

>cpu is actually a whole mini pc surrounded by heatsink

Well, actually it could be.

>NAND and hdd manufacturers keep colluding forever
>amd and intel will have to save computing by fuckhuge caches

at this rate, before high capacity SSDs have become affordable a better and cheaper storage technology will be invented

NAND factories aren't something you plan and build in some months, or even in 3 years.
There is no "artificial limit", it's just that they didn't predict the spike in demand (especially in datacenters) of the last two years, and currently they are working on 64 layers technology (coming later this year), instead of expanding the obsolete planar and 32 layers technologies.

Ram price never really went bellow 2012 levels. Do you seriously just trust what the manufacturers say when they admitted to colluding in 2002?

>not just putting a USB port in your skull and using your own brain as a data storage device

I bought all my SSDs last year, sucks to be you.

static ram is expensive as fuck and also you would have a housefire the size of 10K ati 4870X2s

>tfw your cpu costs 1 billion dollars

>and gives off Betelgeuse levels of infra red radiation

...so this is the power of the "free market"

Same here. I bought like 5 of those Crucial 750GB SSDs on black Friday for $100 each. Feels good.

>take and
>turn it upside down
shortage fixed

Yes

boogie2988 on youtube, he's pretty cool when he s not francis

Holy shit there's some serious stupid in this thread.

Supply is indeed being limited by the number of factories, but that's a process question. In this case, all of the factories are trying to move to 3-d TLC and even QLC nand. These processes are new and complex, but all of the flash companies thought they were going to be rolling it out. They were wrong.

Huge delays in rolling out the process, so a bunch of new factories are either sitting unused or are churning out shit yields.

Toshiba has made the situation infinitely worse with the whole fraud and going broke thing. There's also been a huge upswing in NAND being used for embedded and phone usage.

All in all, demand outstrips supply. Prices go up. There's about another year of prices trending upwards, then we'll see things start to trend down again.

A number of chinese fabs have started to spin up and Intel has been re-purposing old fabs to produce memory, that should help a little.

Its painful isnt it, stupid goy?

B-but what about muh free market economy that should have solved this issue. Why aren't there some entrepreneurs acting in their own self-interest and pursuit of profit?

There are, they just did the math and figured out they'll make more profit this way.

>
>
>Imagine if the 7700k was the same price as now but with the performance of a i7-4770.
Isn't that pretty much the case already?

NSA is buying up SSDs now in bulk like they were with HDDs a few years ago

source?
also why. dont they already own zettabytes of storage

>HDD prices are higher than they were 2 years ago

That's already a thing, look up SoC

They normally dont have ram and storage die.

phone faggots raised prices.

>B-but what about muh free market economy that should have solved this issue.
doesnt work when there arent enough competitors.