Have you fallen for the portable hard drive jew yet?

Have you fallen for the portable hard drive jew yet?

>buy 2tb portable HD to store movies shot during trip
>100+ hours of video
>plug in the drive to my desktop
>slight tap on the desk as I put it down
>drive starts clicking
>say goodbye to your data

>tfw stupid enough to buy portable mechanical hdd

Sounds like you bought a shit drive

I only use them for shuttling large amounts of data, not carrying around with me during random travels.

As is usually asked about expandable storage on phones, I wonder why people need to bring so much storage with them. I can't imagine even filling a single 64GB microSD with trip movies.

>seagate
yes, also why would you want one

>Seagate
Not surprised

>seagate
>2tb
>sealed

The only good portable HDD is a new laptop pulled 2.5" in a cheap enclosure that you can easily remove it from.

nah fuck that, i'll be buying a bunch of 64gb flash drives, mechanical and portable is bound to fuck up

>>slight tap on the desk as I put it down
You should just stay away from anything with moving parts from now on. Do you use your DVD-RW as a glowstick while it's burning a disc?

Put an old SSD in a USB 3.0 enclosure. It's genius I tells ya.

this
also build a nas and use flashdrives for anything else

>have had 3 1TB+ portable HDDs for years
>they all still work fine

At least get SDs (and a USB adapter if needed). You don't need blazing speed to archive movies at night, and you're trading the transfer speed for a smaller and more versatile medium. Just swap card after card into your camera as each fills and then consolidate when you're home.

mSATA SSD in one of these is even better

I like being able to listen to music without spending all of my data in an hour.

t. American stuck on bandwidth rationing plan

That's a helluva bottleneck.

>slight tap
More like OP is a retard that dropped it

That hour of music is also, what, under 100MB of storage? There's a line between liking the ability to listen to music and liking the ability to carry one's entire music library everywhere. I wonder what sort of anxieties are involved with the latter side of that line.

How?

>seagate
dam son
>meanwhile, bought a WD Passport 3TB two years ago
>still humming like a bird
dam son

You can easily fix clicking hard drives through bashing one corner of it against a table. I did it all the time back then when I had a mp3 player with 2,5" HDD.

J U S T

>usb 3 = 5 gb/s
>sata 3 = 6 gb/s

and sata ssds don't even hit the theoritical limit anyways

>46c

I can't possibly imagine what caused this drive to fail.

So just get another sd card for your movie needs? Or even better, just put the shit on a laptop. Watching movies on phones is sad.

>slight tap on the desk as I put it down
>drive starts clicking

Maybe dial back the oafish fat hand syndrome next time you fucking cluts

>cluts

Actually, it took a drop a few months back which must have misaligned the heads.
Still works fine assuming I tune ZFS to copies=2 to keep all primary data redundant.

I own four WD Passports and they're (knock on wood) still working perfectly. Oldest one is a 1TB which is four (maybe five) years old this upcoming Christmas, a 2TB which is a three years old, a second 2TB which is two years old, and a third 2TB which I bought back in early December. I love those little fuckers.

Why not just buy a hard drive and plug it in one of those adapters