How did linux become so good all of a sudden?

How did linux become so good all of a sudden?

I mean, it actually has useful programs now, and even steam games for fuck's sake.

Ubuntu is as easy to use as Winblows now. This makes me happy in my prostate.

Other urls found in this thread:

omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/canonical-ubuntu-job-losses-outside-investors
youtube.com/watch?v=rnyOUk0pvVo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thank you, Bлaдиcлaв. 27 hryvnia have been deposited to your Paypal account.

Fuck you. What is your desktop environment?

Cпacибo!

Unity, bitch.

Unity is gonna die. Then you Windows.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Sucks (Gnome 3 proves it)

Gnome is shit now.

Mate is good, but I like Unity's tacky looking dock.

Unity 7 has support until 2021, slut.

>all of a sudden
>ignoring all the years of collective effort

>all the years
10 years ago, most people had never even heard of linux.

I had, unfortunately.

BTFO

Because command line assburgers worshipping broken shit nobody wants to use finally lost, and reasonable people became more influential in Linux development.

>TFW lives in 3rd world shithole
>heard about Linux 15 years ago

>Ubuntu is as easy to use as Winblows now.

You mean Ubuntu was

Desktop Linux is dead. Canonical is going to abandon all efforts for it and focus on their profitable projects.

The most popular desktop distribution was unprofitable for many years and now it is finally dead.

>inb4 GNOME shills thinking that normal people will use their trash DE

omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/canonical-ubuntu-job-losses-outside-investors

t. shill

Then gnome3

who cares honestly, the people that care about ubuntu are normies, and clearly normies didn't even really care about it anyways, since it sucks annd failed

>Ubuntu is dead because they ended the touch project to focus on desktop and servers.

Some people really have no idea what thye're talking about

damn, guess we should all move over to the billion+ company supporting a distro.
how much is suse making? they aren't operating in the red are they?

Read the article you fucking imbecile, they laid off the people working on the Unity 8 DESKTOP. Phone is kill just like desktop Ubuntu.

Now the relationship between Canonical and Ubuntu is going to be the same as Red Hat and Fedora. Their desktop is going to be just usable enough for enterprise they don't give a shit about mass desktop market anymore.

The money is on IoT and the Cloud, Ubuntu Desktop is dead.

You still do not get it, do you? There is no more Ubuntu desktop other than some minimal Gnome enterprise version. But Ubuntu will remain a stable base for other desktop environments. I doubt that things like gaming and driver support will even be important to Canonical now. This is going to have a mayor impact as Canonical basically withdraws from the user desktop and there is no other party to take their place. We are not only going to lose mobile support we are going to lose user desktop support from vendors as well. People in the community have never fully realized the importance of Canonical and Ubuntu for the user desktop. Well thank Stallman and his Gnome lot for opposing them every step of the way trumping up ridiculous charges and turning the community against them.

Thank you based Lennart.
Normal people didn't use Ubunty just because they liked Unity. Thet'll get used to GNOME 3 just fine.

And you're way underestimating the role of Red Hat/Fedora. They've been paying people to develop shit that the rest of the community can actually use, unlike Canonical.

Godammit, this really means desktop Linux has come to an end. Unity was the only DE that offered you sane defaults, was modern and didn't required you to waste time configuring stuff.

I hope the GNU zealots are happy, their hate for Ubuntu was one of reasons for this.

FINALLY, 2017 IS YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP
But who am I kidding, Canonical will spend its money on some retarded shit and nobody has the brain to spend something on marketing for Mint/Kubuntu that targets average people. 90% of all people only need their webbrowser and something to watch videos of their stupid cat and to edit the tits of their wive bigger on vacation pics and could use Windows 95, but the linux community is literally to autistic for marketing.

Yeah, because all releases including zesty boot on unity8 by default, right?

Now instead of something goof you will have delicious GNOME 3 shoved down your asshole, hope you enjoy it, faggot.

delet this pic right now

>Delusional Lunix fanboys want to convince people that Desktop Linux is a serious business
>Ubuntu remains as the only decent desktop linux
>Only reason it exists is because some millionaire has been burning his money for years
>He finally loses his patience an axes the desktop division to focus on things that actually make money

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i hope corporate linux fails

it has brought literally nothing to the community.

Posting the last video of Unity 8 we will ever see

youtube.com/watch?v=rnyOUk0pvVo

I rather use this pre-alpha software than that pile of dogshit that is Gnome

are you serious friend?
corporate has helped with that kernel of ours, not one to enjoy praising corporations for a damn thing, but i'm not a liar either.
we'd be in hurd stages if it weren't for those.

We should finally start shilling Fedora because it's the only usable normie distro left.

>inb4 systemd haters

Linux is easier to use than W10. Windows is such a timesink these days that it makes arch based distros look good.

>I hope the GNU zealots are happy, their hate for Ubuntu was one of reasons for this.

Source on this? It would be nice if GNU zealots actually accomplished something for once. Packing Amazon botnet with a Linux distro is some unforgivable shit.

Freetards calmed their autism and developers were able to make nonfree Linux compatible software

What do you mean good?

I see no progress at all in the last decade.
It was shit back then and now it is the same shit with different wallpaper. (Ubuntu)

There never was no Amazon spyware, that was simply slander invented by Stallman to prevent Canonical creating earnings from the desktop. Anonymizing search requests was more safe than Duck Duck Go. Stallman is likely in cahoots with Google. Visit his site, he can think of nothing wrong with them even though they monitor us 24/7 and everywhere we go. No, that is no infringement on our freedom. And Gnome helps share your documents with Google Drive without any support for encryption, because we want Google to read everything, do we not? The Linux community is being duped. If these people use sleazy means like slandering, that is simply because they are not to be trusted and have a very different agenda than they pretend to have. Lets not forget the communist system was also sponsored by big money. Nothing new. Free Software is a scam and it hates Open Source.

The DE isn't holding Linux back, I think the three things holding Linux back are:

1. MS licensing agreements with OEM. When you go to Walmart or Best Buy the PC's are sold with Windows included. That is what most people walk away with. They do not know what an operating system is and they don't care (nor should they have to.)
2. DirectX / gaming. The fact is a significant amount of people are running Windows right now specifically for native, automated, easy DirectX support.
3. Office. No one wants to fucking virtualize the standard office platform.

I am a believer, I think it will take a few more years but the growth will basically be exponential in nature.

Once the licensing agreements go (contingent on #2 and #3) there will be an avalanche.

>Anonymizing search requests was more safe than Duck Duck Go.
So not safe at all.
>but gnome is botnet too
Okay never used it long enough to find it but I'll take your word on it. Anything that resource intensive must have a few layers of botnet in it. Also not an argument.

So back to the original question. Do you have a source on Canonical saying fuck devloping Unity because of anything GNU zealots did? I really want undeniable proof GNU zealots actually accomplished something. That seems so unlike them.

>So back to the original question. Do you have a source on Canonical saying fuck devloping Unity because of anything GNU zealots did? I really want undeniable proof GNU zealots actually accomplished something. That seems so unlike them.

Sorry but if you are a retard who can't read between lines, that's not my problem.

This. I had a normie friend install Fedora 25 recently after seeing a few articles about how easy to install and use it is.

Fedora is garbage for the desktop, nowhere new the level of usability of Ubuntu.

It's much better on desktop than Ubuntu, stop memeing.

Sorry but the message in the lines seems to be that Linux for the desktop is unprofitable. The message in between the lines is desktop OSs are not profitable but selling user information is. See MS' offering an "upgrade" to Windows 10 for free so they get the upgraded telemetry as well as turning Windows 10 in to a rolling release so that once you switch you get forced upgrades in order to reduce their need to support legacy systems. Linux users, not just the GNU zealots, seem to be slightly less okay with the harvesting of their information thus making releasing a desktop distro even less profitable than the desktop market in general. However the article mentions them adding more focus on the internet of thangs where collecting user information is what you do.

Clearly the message all over is the only reason this lasted so long is a millionaire kept pouring money in to it without any tangible reason to think it would turn a profit.

You are not fooling anyone GNOME shill. Fedora has never been a popular desktop distro, it has always been a minimal Gnome enterprise desktop. You even need to add a fucking repository to use the proprietary stuff that the average joe computer needs.

why do people hate gnome? i don't get it. i think it's great.

>it's simple
>it's clean
>it looks nice

The alternative desktop environments are trash

the other desktop environments*

I prefer muh tiling wm, but gnome is an okay standby with a few extensions. (e.g. maximus)

All I know is it supports my monitor+GPU resolution, whereas anything Ubuntu or Arch based I've tried doesn't and adding a startup script to add and apply the resolution gives me an error message on startup.

Gnome is shit. It takes about 4 clicks to get to the terminal emulator. If you're going to run Fedora install one of the other DEs/WMs. Gnome is so shit there's half a dozen other spins so you don't even have to run it long enough to install something else.

t. Fedora user

Why are you using Google Chrome?

because i can't flash to install with chromium. some youtube videos won't play.

can't get*

It takes one click to get to the Terminal,what are you talking about ? Dont you have the ability to right click and add to favourites ?

html5?

I figured it would just be better to install something written by people who didn't think the terminal was some backwards compatibility meme to be hidden under four layers of GUI. Also touch screen is for devices without a better pointing device. Seriously who came up with that shit?

>office
I work for a 30k person company, we use google apps, we don't need any MS Office apps. we also have a sizable number of Ubuntu desktops deployed.

activities - > Terminal what are you talking about, dont you have a keyboard?

Pretty easy to install all ms fonts in libreoffice.

>clicking
>not having keyboard shortcut in muscle memory
>not having a terminal open at all times and starting programs from it instead of navigating bloated gui menu
Defaults to ctrl + alt + T in most DEs, you fucking pleb shitters. "Clicking", hahaha!

>Shuttleworth "We are killing touch to focus on the desktop"
>Sup Forums "He said desktop is dead!"

Why I never believe any of you Sup Forumstards

>1. MS licensing agreements with OEM. When you go to Walmart or Best Buy the PC's are sold with Windows included. That is what most people walk away with. They do not know what an operating system is and they don't care (nor should they have to.)
This crap again.
Nigga, i think in my country half the laptops i've seen in stores run linux(usually ubuntu or mint, sometimes lxde), but people just flash windows on them, and linux fags are still an insignificant minority.

>and even steam games
How is DRMed, anti-user botnet a merit?

Because they are the only faggots that want to deal with you crybabbies regarding games.
Which i'm increasing being led to believe is a mistake, and they should have let you rot in your autism.

>we use google aps
>we dont need any MS Office apps

your paperwork is probably fucking shit then since the google aps lack tons of functionality which you would know if you've ever written a proper document.

>criticizes crybabies
>by being an even bigger crybaby

You stupid fucking mongoloid. Mommy is calling. She said to tell you dinner is ready and no more computer till you finish your homework.

We're a huge saas company, most things are done dog fooding our own platform.

At the very least, you can use this DRMed anti-user botnet on a libre platform, instead of stacking one DRMed anti-user botnet ontop another DRMed anti-user botnet platform.

Learn to read, you imbecile.

>Ubuntu is as easy to use as Winblows now. This makes me happy in my prostate.

Yes, the fire rises!

Ubuntu =/= Unity.

Get a grip, Pajeet!

won't some new ubuntu distribution emerge for the purpose of supporting unity ?

Unlike you, I actually *did* read it, you illiterate pajeet shitposting meming leddit nigger

You probably won't find 3 maintainers who actually like unity enough to do a distribution for it

>in my prostate.
that's cause you're a faggot that enjoys taking it up the ass

Then you have Brain damage because Mark is pulling out of further desktop development entirely by firing 500 people working on the Ubuntu desktop.

Maybe you are too stupid to read between lines and don't understand that going back to have just 1 employee maintaining Unity 7 is the same as killing the desktop division.

Anyway kill yourself, faggot.

I hope Unity 8 will be worked on the Community

Yeah, 10 years ago I didn't even try to check if a new game would work, but these days there's actually a pretty good chance. Also WINE is actually good now at least for games that use dx9 or opengl/vulkan.

Even straight people can derive pleasure from anal stimulation. I highly recommend you try it before you die.

It's still a bit glitchy I noticed, or is it just my shit PC?

so this is what youve all been raving about?

and you complain that it takes a few extra clicks to do things on a mac?

It's pre-alpha software

>grouping applications together
Just make a search menu like everyone else. I already know the name of the fucking application I want to use. I'm not perusing my computer for an application that sounds like it will fit my needs.

Ugly and outdated. Put it in the bin. Long live Unity 7.

Mostly because Microsoft and Apple retardation.

>unity division gets budget cuts
>UBUNTU IS DEAD
nice try shill

False. I never had an issue with Windows, but on Linux I can't even count.

>I can't count
Typical winfag

You obviously know what I mean.

So are we now past peak Linux?

>>TFW lives in 3rd world shithole
>>heard about Linux 15 years ago
Theres nothing surprising about being in a shithole and using linux. In fact most people who use it literally sit in their own shit.

Magic 8 Ball says: don't count on it

>sit in their own shit

fucking delet this

fork is already confirmed

BI software?

Assuming your post was true, we wouldn't know until April 2018.

If you're a time traveler at least share stock standings so we can all get rich you faggot.

12.04 was ubuntu's peak. Then they had the whole scopes search bar disaster. Tried to make a phone when all they had to do was sell a desktop in your pocket with a dialers and texter and power users would have gone nuts. The community would have skinned it all out. Instead they hypted garbage for years with no real progress. The developers we're way to defensive in online forums. And all that was obvious for years. That's why I switch to fedora 19 and never looked back. 6 month release cycle that lets you fall behind if you don't feel like upgrading. SE linux enabled by default. "Spins" if you want a different default desktop. Wayland seems to be working for everyday use.

Best of both worlds. The freetards are almost fully satisfied by the default repository. Everyone else can easily add the non-free repository. If someone is to lazy to learn the basics of how a package manager works they shouldn't bother with linux.

This is so fucking true it hurts.
W10 is a fucking disaster in UI.

My retarded mother is now using Ubuntu because W10 fucked over her shit laptop.
I was done having to fix it for her every time I was down.

Win ME is more usable. That's fucking sad.