/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to produce a fine mechanical watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=iViv7gLEueQ

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/FashionReps/comments/55oe5w/ultimate_replica_watch_guide_for_you/
tb-688.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_142&product_id=1344
thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/200890-interesting-affordable-vintage-seiko-calibers.html#/topics/200890
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for shitter killers

Of which, you own none

Thoughts?

Looks dadcore as fuck.

>gonna go to costco and get me a n i c e watch

You were saying?

What an ugly fucking thing.

Oh my.

A 9F GS +/-0s post is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to.

>he says while his seiko5 runs 45 spd slow for the 7th day running

>OP gets changed to mention mechanical specifically
>Doesn't keep the video about how mechanical watches actually work

My Orients are all +1 to +6

All quartz watches are +/-0s

+/-0s

Do you actually believe this?

Jokes on you I don't even own a Zenith.. Yet

Even the most chinkiest chinkshit quartz wont gain or lose a second in 24 hours.

>what information did he intend to convey by this?

Still seeking strap/bracelet advice. So far this brown leather works but I'll probably get bored of it eventually.

10/10

Hey Sup Forums, I'm finally just ahead of my first fairly expensive watch purchase. Have decided on the blue Aqua Terra since I love its versatility and though it's purely for emotional rather than technical superiority being British it's nice to own a Co-Axial since it was a British invented movement. I know there is better technology I could get for the price but it ticks every box for me personally.

The only thing I'm down to is whether to buy the 38.5mm or the 41.5mm. The older ones with a date window are pretty much only available online The left image is a 38mm watch and the right is a 42, both with a thin bezel as the AT will have. My fiancee prefers the smaller whereas my male work colleagues say I should go for the larger. I want to be able to use it as much as possible for every occasion, but considering neither of them will fit under a shirt cuff, it's not worth considering for a dress watch or any occasion at work I'll have to be wearing a shirt properly.

Sorry for the blog, just that this is a major purchase and thanks in advance for the help.

38 looks just right I think

Couldn't you get a gold oyster bracelet with the centre link the same as your lug width and remove the end links?

38mm 42mm is too big for that style watch imho. It's fine on a diver or fleiger though.

Cheers, is the way I was leaning too. Wear the watch don't have it wear you etc.

Looking good. Is that 39mm?

Thoughts on the casio oceanus?
500$ for a quartz is kinda steep but I kinda want it.

the non standard lugs are annoying. other than that great watch.

I have €40k in cash to live on for the next 6 months and I want one watch as a beginner high end watch that doesn't bankrupt me.

What should I buy?

Rolex Explorer

Can go with a suit while still being a field watch, it's a good collector's piece, certified chronometer, cheap service costs, not an asshole's watch, etc.

Meant for

The Seiko post you responded to loses less than a second per month.

My rep.

>ANUS

Have you handled one in person? Make sure you do before you buy. The hands, case, and especially the bracelet are simply nowhere near up to the quality standard they should be for the price of that watch.

Also be aware the servicing costs are going to be quite high because you'll have to take it to the official service center.

Lol no.

Probably. I'm thinking presidential or jubilee instead of oyster though.

Your rep strap looks pretty close to the original

No it's 44mm.... If it was 38mm I'd buy it in a flash. Such a beautiful watch.

Air King or Oyster?

How much are they service usually?

Teach me how to stop caring about subdials covering numerals. Please, I don't know how.

Still shitting

Ummm, can I have a list of rep sites so that I know what websites I absolutely shouldn't buy watches from?

You gonna get meme'd

I don't think they have a cure for autism

Air King has more history and holds value better IIRC.

Service is spendy from Rolex but you can find local watchmakers that will do it for a few hundred. Only needs one every 5 to 10 years as long as you don't fuck it's shit.

Hard to find sub 40mm reps that aren't too thick

Is this just because of limitations in movement selection?

Only the bigger one but I do agree with you to an extent. Certainly in comparison to the Explorer which is probably its main competition there are several areas in which it's inferior. It ultimately boils down to the colour though, the Navy colour combined with the hands make it less boring than it would be black without being too gaudy, slightly sporty but not too much that I can't wear it at work etc. It generally strikes a balance I've not seen in anything else I've looked at, and I've been deciding this for about 3 months now.

>Ummm, can I have a list of rep sites so that I know what websites I absolutely shouldn't buy watches from?

reddit.com/r/FashionReps/comments/55oe5w/ultimate_replica_watch_guide_for_you/

I've shopped the stock picture of the Vostok GMT I am waiting for with the custom bezel insert I've also ordered. Do you guys like it?
I didn't want a black bezel because I want this watch to look as quirky as it can get.

Yes. They generally use the same type of movement for most reps. I once around 6 years ago had a rep that was just two movements glued together. It came loose and I opened it, took the loose half out and the watch ran well again.

Yeah, I just thought the oyster centre link would fill the gap in the lugs better.

Either way that's the way I would go.

I'm getting that watch too. Which aftermarket bezels are currently available?

I just wanted to make sure you were aware. I have a Seiko SDGM001 and I'm not kidding when I tell you that the hands, case and bracelet on the Seiko are noticeably better than the Omega AT.

I'm any case, if you are set on the watch no question you should get the 38mm size.

Why don't (non-mechanical) watches include magnets?
Would be really useful

I'm thinking of buying a sarb033 for a beater watch.
I'm tired of the screw down crown of my orient ray. It's fucking retarded.
It's rated 100m water resistance so shower and ight swimming is fine right?

Yeah thanks, will definitely make sure I see some other things in the flesh that might be better first just to be sure.

Why does your watch need a shower?

I just wipe them down with a microfiber cloth every once in a while

Oh my good God. This is 43mm so just at my upper limit.

"reproductions" are fakes and are illegal in just about every country on the planet. Even if they weren't you have got to be the most tasteless, classless pleb with no sense of dignity to wear a fake Rolex or Omega.

My watch doesn't need it but I shower with my watch. It's a long story.

Your mom gets mad when you take too long in the shower? Used to happen to my little brother too

What if I'm wearing an IWC that nobody I know has even heard of?

if you absolutely have to get it, get it in 38mm

Any site that will sell you a fake watch

Who /G-SHOCK/ here?

Why do you have a rep of a cheap watch?

My alpinist.

tb-688.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_142&product_id=1344
This is the rep I had which broke after around 2.5 years. Honestly, I'm tempted to get another as it was so nice.

>Not wearing the worst, least believable rep you can find

>Air King has more history
Either you tell us WHAT history, or we're just going to assume you're lying on the internet

Reps are for fakes and faggots
Fuck off

I wish people would stop trying to legitimize fakes by calling them "replicas"

What bracelet is that? Also nice plaidposting.

If you liked it, just do it

It's a Seiko so it's still a shitter.

Hadley Roma.

AmWatches (eBay) sells GMT bezels (bezel+insert) for 50€ which is ridiculously expensive for what it is. You could get a bezel without insert from boris_bgv (also on eBay) or from Murphy (google it) and get a GMT bezel insert for the SKX you like the most. Either from dagaz or from some chink seller on eBay, mine is coming from China for 17€ shipped and I already have one spare bezel without insert.

Post your watch collection.

I live in Tokyo and believe I have a unique opportunity to flip vintage watches online.

What sort of things should I be looking for when I go out to watch shops?

If you're asking here then maybe you shouldn't...

I am travelling to Tokyo this summer and I am also interested. Btw where can I find vintage watches there?

got my new watch today

Read this thread and then do your research about the models discussed in that thread:

thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/200890-interesting-affordable-vintage-seiko-calibers.html#/topics/200890

>Either you tell us WHAT history, or we're just going to assume you're lying on the internet

Who is "we"? You sound like a retard.

And the Air King was part of the immediately post WWII lineup of watches in the "Air-" series that were designed as cheap, manual wind pilot's watches for servicemen who couldn't afford the higher end Rolex models but still didn't want a shitter. Other than adding automatic movements later on as a standard feature they remained largely unchanged for like 60 years. Plus companies like Pan Am had interesting, factory made dial variations that are rare, interesting and collectible.

The nameless, base model "Oyster" is a very nice watch but other than the whole history of the Rolex Oyster case and their bi-directional auto winders (which all of the other Rolex models share other than the Cellini line or extremely old vintage stuff), they don't particularly have anything cool to say about them.

Post movement or I'm calling fake.

Do you really need a movement picture to pass judgement on that watch?

happy?

pretend it says /wt/ i misspelled

No I'm still skeptical. The date window looks like it's cutting off the number. Also the 3, 6, 9, 12 look like there off. And the bezel looks wrong.

>Who is "we"? You sound like a retard.
We are the readers of your post.

The air-king's history" is tenuous compared to Stowa, Laco, Wempe, IWC, Omega, Breitling, Jaeger, Lemania, or Longines who were all official chair force watches.

also missing the Swiss Made text near the bottom, its a fake i bought off of ali three weeks ago

Can't believe I didn't notice the "Swiss Made" not being there. But yeah it definitely looked off overall. How much did you pay?

$18.88

its of surprisingly good quality still, date, 3,6,9,12 look a bit off because the glass is a bit bulged
bezels and the knob are a bit wrong

>Stowa
>Laco
Yes, their modern histories of importing Swiss movements and slapping them into Chinese cases is quite remarkable.

>Longines
Ah yes, who could overlook their modern history as a second rate 50.01% Swiss red headed step child of the Swatch Group.

>cherrypicking brands from example
>moving goalposts to modern watches
Well, you're a "muh rollie" faggot after all

God I love this watch

I'm not the same guy, I was just laughing at the rotting corpses of some of the brands you included as shining examples of pilot's watch history.