SSD durability/longevity

Old HDDs often spool up fine after DECADES. Will data be fine on one or two decade old SSDs?

they will probably lose data after a certain amount of time due to losing charge etc

HDD4LYF

OP you probably can't even spend more than 12 hours away from the computer without having a panic attack.

Nobody expects an SSD to last a decade anyway.

kek

This. And with everything in the cloud nowadays who cares. The performance increase over regular hard drives makes it worthwhile.

Nobody was arguing that SSDs should be used for archival.

I haven't been on Sup Forums for a couple years.
Is this funposting or is it actually the sorry ass state of this board?

What are you supposed to use for archiving?

Still tapes?

we don't know
the current ssd technology we're using hasn't been around for "DECADES" yet

might be fine
might not be fine

nobody trusts hdds to spool up fine after decades, which is why they use tape for archival
and the tape has redundant backups, which continue to be made every few years, because that's not trustworthy media either

As far as I know tape is still used in most places for backups. It's slow as shit though, so that's about all it's good for.

I'm fairly confident my Intel SSD will still be good at the 10 year mark, which will be in 2021

Do SSDs get electrically freshen up completely each time they are used or would parts of it "die" when you don't access those for a few years?

Is there a difference between having it in cold storage for years and booting it up every now and then?

just don't use them for cold storage at all.
their working principle isn't meant for that.

They wear when you write on them ; each cell can only support so much stress before it dies. I read reading can wear it too, but much much slower.

It likely won't wear if you don't plug it, but we don't have enough data for now because it's too new.

HDDs are time-proven, just use multiple copies on unplugged HDDs and test them every now and then. Replace them if you see any error and also when they get too old maybe.

Tape backup can be an option if you want really long storage.

TLDR trust HDDs, SSDs are too new.

>tfw my 20gb and 80gb Samsung HDDs still work with no S.M.A.R.T
I love those old HDDs, looks like they will last forever.

Opened HDDs are also pretty to look at so even when defective they're still useful for something.

>built computer
>pair of 3tb ultrastars
>raid 0
>*just* enough skill to almost understand my apparent inability to somehow figure out how to load the raid drivers or whatever to be able to access the /boot partition on the array
>decide to buy dedicate boot drive
>ssd prices seem to have doubled as predicted
>find deal on 512gb ssd
>want to make it last
>install as sda
>sda1 /boot
>sdb+sdc=raid0
>raid0 /
>never use ssd for anything but /boot
>thereisnonameforthisfeeling.jpeg

both

I miss the 95/98 UI dearly

I do. My 850 pro will last over a decade

It's nostalgic for me, and so in MS-DOS 5.0, but I really don't actually miss it. Haven't looked back since I switched to Linux 15 years ago.

So far almost 9 years and going strong on some Intel X25-M G2 160gb SSD. Used as main drive on a machine now running an old i7 2600k along some WD Caviar drives.
Make a thread in a couple of years to check.

I have an OCZ Vertex+ that I bought in 2010 and it's still running strong.

What's wrong with that statement? It seems pretty accurate.

>in the cloud

What does the future hold for memory? Will it be HDD? Will it be SSD? Will it be an other thing like maybe a crystal?

the only cloud I can get behind

it's a fucking.

I understand about 98 but the 95 UI unironically looks like dogshit.

>Old HDDs often spool up fine after DECADES

When was the last time you had to dig up something important from a decades old drive?
Wanna brag about those 420p Evangelion encodes you did?

I have a Samsung 840 120GB drive. Was my first ever SSD that didn't die 2 weeks after purchase (OCZ drives a shit). Got it in 2012 for just under $1.75 per GB. Still my main OS boot drive in my main PC. Samsung magician is showing almost 16TB written to the drive and it's still at 100% health. Dunno why it wouldn't last another 5 years, barring any freak accident like my PSU magically burning it out.

If you're paranoid about data being readily available 20+ years from now, burn to disc, or write to some cheap LT-02/03 tape drives.

I upgrade my hardware all the time, I don't care about the SSD lasting 10 years without use, with use they already last as long. They are not an archiving medium anyways, I fail to see your concern.

>old hdds often spool up fine after decades
>buy a hdd, have it for a week
>click. click. click. click.
>buy a new hdd, have it for a week
>ok third time is the CHARM.
>buy a new hdd, have it for a week

helps if you don't place your PC on top of a rock sorting machine.

But manufactures market them like they do. They don't mention that flash storage inherently degrades when left unpowered, and that cells wear down with writes, decreasing time to unpowered degradation. What are you suppose to do with a couple TiB of data on SSDs? You can't just put it in cold storage, as it'll fail. HDDs don't have this problems, and optical media like BD dics even less so.

>What are you suppose to do with a couple TiB of data on SSDs

not writing the whole lot out on the lineprinter. casuals

>he buys Maxtor HDDs

optical storage degrades faster than HDDs.

this

>Will data be fine on one or two decade old SSDs?
Nope, they have data integrity problems after five years, let alone a decade.

shit isnt that slow when yoive had a curry or two mate :^)

No, unless the SSD does at least get standby power.

Just a week with no power is enough for SSDs to start losing data.

expensive as fuck too if your not a business

No. They don't.

Unless we're talking about being u powered and unplugged for 5 years.

stop spreading misinformation you bastard.

optical storage, not shit quality media or stupid strange methods, has yet to return one disc that broke due to exposure. old ass store bought or old ass burnt cds.

damage do the disc is the reason they stopped working for me, not media degradation itself.

Mix that in with would rather lose 700mb/4.5gb/23gb at a time instead of 4tb at once if something goes wrong. and you have a very hard sell on hdds for cold storage backup.

Personally dvd+bluray/flash+hdd would be the backup method I use.

dvd because its cheap and easy to get
bluray/flash just for the larger size so redundancy isn't hard and hdd as the be all end all for mass storage, but putting the least faith in it.

I still like HDDs.

send it to me

>HDD
People still use these things? We switched over to SSD at our datacenter years ago.
>cloud is a fad that will go away any day now
t. unemployed "IT guy" who can't overbill now that stuff breaks less

Tape is fast for read write, but access times are horrendous. But then again, if you are using tape, you'll probably just be happy you can get your data back, not that you can get it back quickly.

HDDs won't suffer as long as you don't keep that shit under magnets. They can endure as many write cycles as you want until something fucks up and you have to do witch methods to revive it for a short time.

SSDs will only suffer if you write or read too much.

>t. underpaid corp shill