Microsoft to publish specification for NTFS, exFAT, and ReFS

Staying mum about whether they will license the related patents though

Other urls found in this thread:

en.opensuse.org/Restricted_formats#NTFS
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

but that's a mac drive

It's just an apple bin.
They perform moderately better than your average drive from the OEM.

>Okay guise: Now we'll let you figure out how our filesystems work after you've done all the reverse engineering and finally provide some transparency on how your data is handled.

Too little too late, better stuff is out there already no matter if/how they license them.

Who cares? NTFS is slow garbage.

>ntfw
vomit

source?

>he doesn't understand the value of legacy interop

Microsoft is making ReFS (NTFS successor that is already available in Windows 8+ and will become the default in the next Windows version bump) spec available too.

Additionally, NTFS already works better under GNU+Linux than under Windows because Linux ignores Windows' permission system.

>Friend hands me USB, partitions are factory stock fucked, wasting near 1GB
>Copy his 300K system files onto a XFS USB in 15 minutes
>Set it to GPT, single NTFS, attempt to repaste them back into NTFS
>Estimated time remaining: 52 hours
>Spin up a RAM disk and partition it ZFS async & compression,create NTFS image inside from the RAM disk
>Copy in 5 minutes and blast the results back to the USB

How do winfags cope with these speeds?
Is this why they salivate over M.2?

>I obviously configured something wrong but it's NTFS' fault

You have no idea. Using any *nix native software on any of the MS filesystems is an absolute nightmare. Tools like `git` love to create loads of small files, and NTFS just chokes if you have the audacity to copy or move it.

Also I hate node, but whatever the fuck they're doing with their package management creates an insane amount of churn in terms of # of files & directories. May the lord have mercy if you accidentally copy the `node_modules` folder or include it in a backup by accident. I've routinely seen node bork the default path limit on NTFS leading to directories you can't get rid of w/o registry tweaks.

>>he doesn't understand the value of legacy interop
don't expect linuxfags to understand why keeping backwards compatibility is important

But doesn't Linux already support NTFS? Isn't it open source?

which ntfs?

>keeping backwards compatibility is important
Only as a bragging point.
It's what is holding Windows back.
The word is that MS have decided that Win10 will be the last Windows. Maybe The OS they promised 20 years ago will be the New Windows.

I couldn't care about that i'm trying to get my GPT fileformat working on my NVMe and getting it to boot windows.

Btw what does ReFS do?

>Btw what does ReFS do?

Fragment your drive.

ThreadX butt rapes you anyway, so here, have NTFS specs.

Okay.

Patents expired: ntfs is more than twenty years old.

Which one expired?

en.opensuse.org/Restricted_formats#NTFS

>There are no NTFS patents known. Instead of patents (which are made public), Microsoft apparently chose to use Non-disclosure agreements to impede the ability of open source projects to implement support for NTFS.

I"m still mad fire tv don't support NTFS, i was hoping to replace my WD TV but I guess I'm still going to need it

you mean new technology file system?