/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/ - PC Building General-- Filter R5 edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions.

State the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or improve specs.
List the games or software you use most often.
Use common sense and put some effort into your queries.
GOOGLE IT FIRST

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com
>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice (which is pretty outdated/shit), Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA
>Semi-outdated information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Pentium G4560 remains the best if your budget is only around $500.
>The Ryzen 1700 is the only R7 worth purchasing.
>If you're building a PC with an i5, wait for Ryzen 5 to compare. (Out April 11)
>i3 are no longer worth getting with zero exceptions. The budget choice is the G4560. Otherwise get an i5/r5.
>Locked i5s are a better value than unlocked i5s and perform similarly, especially in games. They are in no way "useless"
>R5 is unreleased. Any benchmarks/claims are unreliable and should be treated as such.
>SSDs are worth it. Expensive SSDs aren't worth it.
>RX 500 series coming out April 18. Ryzen 5, April 11. Vega coming Q2 2017.
>for budget builds, consider a mATX setup for case/mobo savings

There's been a huge upswing in disinformation in these threads, and in the community in general. At the end of the day, YOU are the one who loses if you take bad advice.

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with and report.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/7cjXNN
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353080&ignorebbr=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/qvBmvV
guru3d.com/news-story/radeon-rx-550-570-and-580-3dmark-performance.html
techpowerup.com/232129/amds-rx-580-570-and-rx-550-specifications-and-3d-mark-results-leak
pcpartpicker.com/list/PdQVyf
pcpartpicker.com/list/696XNN
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G5HG7964&cm_re=ryzen_5-_-9SIA24G5HG7964-_-Product
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's not working. It's top of the line, games running at 144fps, it looks great but I'm still not happy. I was happier researching it because I had something to do. Why is it so hard to not hate every second of your life? I really thought the computer would make me happy

pcpartpicker.com/list/7cjXNN

For 3D modelling/rendering and gaming

Going X370 for extra sata/usb. Don't care for all the gaymen stuff on this one, but it's the best I could find compared to the ASRock Taichi which still doesn't fucking exist. Placeholder ram, still looking at compatibility.

Mobo is still the major variable. Thoughts?

If you're bored, learn C and ASM and build your own operating system from scratch. Welcome to hobbyist programming.

What do you 3d model, user?

Also, you need a storage device.

>Buys new GPU
>benchmark a few games with old GPU
>pop in new one
>benchmark first game
>'yup... it's faster'
>back to not-playing-any-videogames

stuff. Not much to show for yet. Got plenty of storage already.

But, I mean what area of modelling. Organics, sculpting, lowpoly, hardsurface, subdivision/high-poly. If you're new, go make a polycount account.

>have 760 it plays all the games i never open just fine
>miserable want to die
>buy 1060
>oh man this is so sick
>spend days overclocking and benching, run into nvidia jewery
>6 months go by
>miserable
>buy 980ti hybrid for $350
>spend weeks tweaking the bios overclocking and benching
>miserable again

uhhh i guess its open loop time

Which one should I get?

Hitachi seems to have a lower failure rate, and is cheaper per memory. It looks like a no brainer, but I'm curious why people like WD more here?

trust your brain

My brain says "I have no idea what I'm doing and just saw a meme image with failure rates"

Do you have any legitimate use for more than a terbyte? I'm a heavy user, use about 800gb of bandwidth a month, tons of games and media, programs, etc on my PC and yet a 500gb ssd and old 500gb hdd are sufficient for me because I have no problem deleting shit when I'm done with it. I would get the Hitachi as long as it's not a refurb or anything and if you need more storage in the future grab a second one and raid0 it.

Movie storage, game storage, picture backups from my other devices, audio files.

I've been on this same 750GB HDD for several years now and while I manage, I could easily fill up 2TB. I use an external hard drive right now to store all my movies, so it'd most likely be more of that.

I'm just more concerned about which manufacturer is more reliable and if anyone has any experience with either.

from previous thread.

>You have this idea that there's all sorts of shit you can put in those PCI slots, but there just isn't. 99.99% of people only put a single GPU in one of them and that's it. There's a small handful that might add a sound card.
Most mATX cases are bland and look like ass. It's why I started looking at mid-tower cases in the first place. This is the other case I was considering.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353080&ignorebbr=1

>You'll also likely replace your motherboard when it comes time to upgrade since LGA1151 is an EoL socket.
fair enough, but how much longer would I have to wait for that to happen?

>Which is why I originally said you might want to wait and spend an extra $100 for one of the upcoming Ryzen APUs (Ryzen with integrated graphics) since that'll be way better and way more upgradeable, but they aren't out yet and will cost a bit more.
Would prefer to stay Intel.

My friend asked me to build him a PC for gaming. He doesn't plan on doing any overclocking but asked it to be relatively beefy. How does this look?
pcpartpicker.com/list/qvBmvV

>still contemplating if I have to upgrade my fury x
>only play ffxiv on 4K

Is the RX 500 series going to be a big leap or the usual incremental change? I'm about to pull the trigger on an RX480 8GB because all the main stores are clearing out their stock at pretty decent discounts.

500's are going to be a refresh with 5% difference at best. If you see a cheap price on a rx480 go for it.

How would I go about shopping for full water cooling loops? Ekwb is too expensive.

join a teamspeak user and make friends.

That case is shit. Thing is hideous and will be extremely cheaply made at that price... but it's big right? lel

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with mid towers but all that other guy is saying is you're just short changing yourself in terms of portability and price if you have no use for all that space.

>tfw have cash to upgrade my pc
>tfw can't pull trigger because afraid of regretting so much money on vidya

Im still on a athlon x4 640 someone put me out of my misery

>had a GT 9600 since the fucking launch
>"oh wow these things aren't running very well, I should really upgrade"
>do so
>turns out the upgrade means jack shit because I was being bottlenecked by my CPU in the first place
eyy

Eternal suffering, mental problems perceived to be in the physical, get some help

I want to upgrade the graphic card and be done with for maybe ~2 years.

Suggestions?

Is there any possibility of Sup Forums helping me figure out a good build? I just don't know enough about all the different CPUs, mobos, ram, and GPUs to not make a mistake on my purchase.
I'm looking at an ATX or mATX build with 8gb of ram, a decent CPU (quad core is fine, more is better if price fits), and a GPU that beats my current GTX 760. I don't really care about overclocking or aesthetic of the internals too much, if that matters.
My current budget is about $800-$900 USD.

Could you Sup Forumsentooman help out a poor brainlet like me?

ha ha

RX460 or GTX 1050Ti?

ti

Enjoy.

Why not changing the ram to 8gb and switching to 8gb rx480?

Hows Ashes of singularity on the CPU? Am I looking at i5 7600k/ whatever Ryzen equiv is and a 1060 6gb/rx480?

~60fps at 1080p on like high graphics or so.

No real difference between RX480 4gb and 8gb.

I hope your not modeling just so you can buy the Ryzen meme

How much is a RX 480 worth second hand? Also should AMD cards be bought second hand off ebay? I heard that bitcoin miners usually run the hell out of them before trying to pawn them off.

>No real difference

RX500 benchmarks

guru3d.com/news-story/radeon-rx-550-570-and-580-3dmark-performance.html

techpowerup.com/232129/amds-rx-580-570-and-rx-550-specifications-and-3d-mark-results-leak

>rx 550
For what purpose?

Also is a R9 380x still worth buying in 2017 second-hand for $100?

>I-I'll get a PC when the Ryzen's released (this was probably 2 years ago)
>fast forward to now and still using an almost 5 year old "ultra"book
>going to Just Wait™ for Zen 2 because it's surely be more refined by then
>don't even know why I read about PC stuff when I'm so reluctant to spend

Same thing happens with cameras, trying to resist the urge to buy a new lens or external flash, haven't been out shooting in months.

Holy shit, with all the shills i cant even decide whether to get intel or ryzen.

Here is what i have in mind so far.

>cpu
Ryzen 1600
>mobo
Ab350-m gigabyte gaming 3
>ram
8gb 2x 3200 mhz
>gpu
1060 6gb oc (already purchased)
>psu
Seasonic m2ii 520w
>case
Silencio 365

Or

>locked i7 7700
>cheap mobo
>cheap ram
>cheap everyrhing

I will be gaming/videoediting/recording/streaming with the pc.

Who should i trust, the pajeet or the goys..

Whichever is cheaper desu. Both CPU's are great choices.

>video games console assembly general

Why else would you need a PC you dumb cuck?

You can try justifying it by using the PC for other things, like video editing or whatever

work, study, art creation, crypto mining and more

>crypto mining

my first build

gee maybe you should wait until they're out or something

>Otherwise get an i5/r5
I was under the impression i5s are not a reasonable choice, the core:threads ratio compared to r5s

Looks k. Consider going RX 480 or 1060 6GB, since there's small price difference and performance is much higher

>not even waiting those few days for Ryzen 5 to see if it's worth it

>ded CPU

lol

calm down, i'm buying it next month these are just the best parts i can currently buy in my country within my budget

the only 6GB 1060 that are within my budget are made by Palit and Inno3D. are their card good?

I found a single ram stick 16 gb being cheaper than 2 8 sticks here locally. Should I go for it even though no dual channel? I only game on it.

see

Would a g4560 bottleneck an rx480?

>Would a g4560 bottleneck an rx480?

No, why would it?

Wrong. It depends on the game, try playing it with GTA V and you'll see.

Anyone?

I can't decide between these two builds, help me out.

pcpartpicker.com/list/PdQVyf
or
pcpartpicker.com/list/696XNN

You need to install gentoo

SEND IT TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I just got a new video card and I didn't expect it to be so wide. It comes out much, much further than the lip of the bracket, so when I plug in the PCIe power connector I almost can't close my case. I can close my case, but the wires have to bend quite a lot.

I'd like a neater solution. Is there a place other than ebay where I can find a PCIe 6 pin right angle adapter? Ebay does have one, but it's $15 and I don't know anything about its quality.

If a mobo has onboard video, would I be be able to use that to boot the OS on a Ryzen build while I wait for my GPU, or is that only for the BIOS?

Ryzen 1600X for sale early.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G5HG7964&cm_re=ryzen_5-_-9SIA24G5HG7964-_-Product

I don't even know if you can use the video output to get into the bios. Ryzen definitely doesn't have an integrated GPU. I believe the motherboards have video output for future APUs.

God bless. Have a rare Pepe

>Ryzen definitely doesn't have an integrated GPU. I believe the motherboards have video output for future APUs.
This is correct. Sorry, igpu wanting dude, but you're SOL. Do you not have some old card sitting around you can use in the meantime? Literally anything pcie will do.

Ah, might have to just get a 480. Was hoping to wait for the 500 series to see if prices went down.

>G.Skill TridentZ seems to be the go to RAM for Ryzen right now.
>Fucking six foot (45mm) high heat spreaders.
Can someone recommend a cooler that's not going to interfere with these things?

Noctua Nh-15s i believe has enough clearance

>have no idea if my MIR made it to asus or not

>Bought a wrong parts for my PC (DDR3 instead of DDR4) for $110
>Want to send it back to get refund
>They'll take 15% for "processing fee" excluding shipping

Meanwhile I was able to sell it on ebay for $130

Looks g...
>£70
Oof. A bit rich for my blood, matey.

Cryorig M9a or H7 both respect the 'keep-out zone' so should clear anything on a board that's built to spec. £25 and £45 respectively.

Scythe Mugen 5's asymmetric design will give you more than enough clearance. Under 45 bongbux.

What's a good CPU+motherboard for a NAS serving 4 people and capable of at least two 5 Gbps connections?

Bear in mind you'll have to send away for AM4 compatible fixings for these and you'll need proof of purchase. Free, but enjoy having your system sitting there unusable until they get around to mailing your kit out if you're going for a Ryzen that doesn't ship with a stock cooler.

Any recommendations for something that does AM4 straight out of the box?

>have to send away for AM4 compatible fixings
kek

Is there any good gpu that has a decent FP64 performance? Not those 1/32 crap.

Install Gentoo

FX8350, stock cooler (40C under load)
EVGA GTX1060 6GB
ASUS M5 A79
8GB DDR3 @1333 (upgrading to 2133 16gb next week)
1x 1TB WD blue
1x300GB seagate old shit hdd
24" ASUS monitor

runs what i need just fine but shit is the cpu fan loud as fuck

should say i just upgraded from
A-10 6800k
PNY GTX 750 1GB
same ram
FM2-A75MA-E35
same hdds
32"tv 1366x768 max res

1st time builder. UK. use for playing H1Z1 and rainbow six.

Is there a difference between the £17 Artic Freezer and the £52 Noctua NH-U14S?

Is the Noctua really more premium? Am I shooting myself in the foot by scrimping out on the cooler?

my build for gaming(all new):
>i5-6600k $180
>GamerForce Captain 240 ex
>Msi B150m arctic $75
>16gb ddr4 ballistix white $ 80
>Msi Gtx 1070 aero $375
>standard evga 500w psu $30
>Diypc white case $25
>WD 1tb blue $50
Should i buy an ssd?

paid $75 for the cooler

sell it and build another computer.

Poorfag as fuck
Invest $50 into a noctua cooler which will be quiet as fuck

>Unlocked 7700K and Z270 board
>gtx1060
Poorfag with richag aspirations confirmed.

Looking to upgrade my FX-8350 since I have a bit of spare cash right now.

Would it be better to go for the R7 1700 or R5 1600x?
I use my computer mostly for gaming/programming but I do like to multitask a lot.

It's true. OP is a faggot.

>K psu
>B mobo
Why

R5 1600 looking good but wait for proper benchmarks. Not knowing your usage it's probably fine. Better to spend more money on good memory.

>6600k
>MSI B150 board
>shit house PSU

>Unlocked i5 with muh meme AIO cooler
>On a fucking B150
>Shitty blower-cooled 1070
Nice b8 m8. Top quality stuff. On the offchance that this is real: Kill yourself desu senpai.

Stupid question here. Does Prime95 normally make temps rise and fall?

The CPU temp is 33C at idle, then it goes up to 50C when I start Prime95. Then it gradually goes up to 73C, then it goes back down to 57C. This repeats every 10 mins or so.

Holy shit. Everything about this build. Literally everything. You don't need an SSD, you need a noose. Here's your (You) mate.

That is a stupid question. Your CPU is probably reaching it's thermal threshold and throttling to reduce temperature. 73c is way too hot for most processors.