Teach myself C / Python

>teach myself C / Python
>finish a full-stack web dev course on udemy because curious
>spend next year on and off looking for work
>ff to present day
>working with a company that monitors media consumption habits of the whole country
>basically run SQL queries and parse data with excel for ppl while training juniors
>realize i can automate most tasks
>literally automated most annoying parts of my job within the first 2 weeks of me being there

Boss is all hyped but pay is still kinda meh despite the job being pretty comfy overall(aside from having to deal with excel).

Not sure if I should be trying to make the jump to a soft dev job or hang around here.

I feel like at a soft dev position i'll just be one of the many, whereas here I can stand out.

Thoughts?

go become a software developer

you might not stand out as much but you'll get paid way more

fair enough.... thanks user

Maybe coast this for a while and gather your compulsions around some profitable projects.
Even if you still devote your time to the job while you're there, you could have the extra thought time to think through plans.

Yeah that was sort of my rough plan. Hang around here for another year or so and soak up whatever experience/knowledge I can then focus in on something more specific.

same

Automate the rest of your job, then tell your boss you want to work from home. Your computer does all the work, you have time to pursue your passions.

Do you happen to know how to search for the highest row in a json column and then print the data from a different row (in Python)? I'm stumped.

I totally fucked that up, my head hurts from trying to learn python when there's six other obsolete languages bouncing around up there.

What I meant was searching for the highest value in one column and returning the value from an adjacent column of the same row.

don't tell your boss about it you stupid nigger he'll replace you with a button pusher

Or just make sure that the programs require weekly logins and don't share the password.

what's your point, humblebragging to a bunch of unemployed people?

how is this related to technology discussion?

don't bother replying, already hid the thread. gtfo

keep your current job for a few years, jumping ship so quickly makes you look like a less desirable worker since you don't stick around very long

Use numpy
col2[np.where(max(col1))]

>>teach myself C / Python
> >finish a full-stack web dev course on udemy because curious
........................................That's all it takes to get a job?

yes.

did you also get the $10 each class thing? or was that just me?

I'm 18 and in HS and I know wayyyyyyy more than that.

Do I even need ot go to college?

College is a meme.

Thanks!

alot of tech companies don't pay much attention to your degree. Alot of employers would test you with a challenge of some sort related to job in question leaving you to solve whatever problem or do certain task involving what you learned.

also, certifications get you places easier and much cheaper than a shitty degree.

always stay in offices where you're glorified

I automate almost everything, everywhere I go and don't tell anyone that's how I do it they just think I am good

I don't know if you are meming, but everyone says it isn't

Which certifications?

depends on what you want to do user. certs are superior as they are physical proof that not only did you learn the skill, but also can practice it to a degree that is useful to companies.

I just want to be a meme

>everyone
who do you mean by everyone?
for IT it is a meme. just about everything you learn in IT can be self taught possibly easier and faster for much less. no need for a fuckton of debt.

honestly I usually think college IT is for the dumb foreigners that think silicon valley is still good or even a good idea to try.

get a job in BIG DATA. the pay is there if you want it

>silicon valley is still good or even a good idea to try.
wut
why not

Which country?

Stick with this user. Consider your job a chore and find fun outside of technology.

Just don't replace yourself. People have done that in the past.

>finish a full-stack web dev course on udemy because curious
which one?

Yes, uni gives you way more than just a piece of paper. In 3 years you could teach yourself more about software development than a school could, but you would miss out on the experience and the life skills, not to mention the connections. Never underestimate the value of knowing other smart, driven people.

That said it's probably a whole different equation stateside simply because of your outrageous fees (I paid £10k total for 4 years in the UK, and the debt is effectively interest free)

Go be a support engineer. High end support engineers can make 6 figures. It's a full career path. Base pay should be somewhere around $50k-$55k and then you move up by showing off your skills. When you have 2-4 years of experience doing it you can go work for Amazon and they'll pay you 75k minimum. This way you get to exercise your programming ability without being locked down to some shitty agile development process.

How long uve been working? Usually someone as dedicated as u jumps to software dev in 1-2years depending on much harder u worked, u definitely want 2 b a software dev because after comes sr software dev n u make mad skrillex

Go yo college man if u know tht much n have projects, scholarships should be izi n a job at facebook or google should b easy halfway to ur bachelors degree

Curious to this aswell.

better yet, don't store the scripts on the company computer but bring them on a flash drive every day