/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Previous Thread

Ask your dumb questions here

Queen Lizzy the 2nd Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/5ce8no/how_do_you_optimally_place_two_or_more_hot/
forums.geforce.com/default/topic/764816/gamestream/remote-gamestream-router-port-forwarding-and-tegra-zone-update-/
m.news.yandex.ru/quotes/6.html?mar=0'
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have an Asus Crosshair VI, and a spare AM3 backplate.
Can I just slap the backplate on, and put my AM3 watercooler on it, or do I have to worry about specific mounting pressures?

What programs are good for making gifs/webms?

So far I'm being told that WebMCam, WebMConverter, and ffmpeg are good options.

Which of those are the best/easiest?

ffmpeg is my choice.
WebMConverter (AKA. WebM for retards) is really nice for quickly getting the job done.
They all end up using ffmpeg as the backend, so it's more about what user interface you want to use.

Not him but I use ffmpeg, too.

Is there any downside besides adding a middleman (and inherent space) when one uses WebMConverter over ffmpeg? I've wanted to bash my head against a wall when I had to read ffmpeg documentation to ultimately not find out what I wanted.

>downsides
If you can specify your own command line parameters from within the GUI, no, not really.

For documentation, I use the "WebM Academy" guide that floated around when WebM was introduced to Sup Forums, which I can't pastebin because it gets filtered.

Which is the best thermal paste at the moment? I'm going to be opening my laptop soon. It's getting a bit toasty.

Repostan
Alright Sup Forums, got a problem that might just be something stupid.

I have an HP Laptop and recently the fan has been running nonstop. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, save for a few things:
>Despite the constant blowing, no air is coming out of the vent
>Performance has taken a hit for no apparent reason, CCleaner and Avira found nothing wrong, defragging did nothing
>Computer temperature is totally normal.

At first i thought it was dust until i noticed Enter the Gungeon chugging along like i'm trying to run it on a smartphone. Any ideas?

Cheers. I'll check it out. I only went to it to find how to make VP8 webms, since it seemed to default to V9 since an user told me the program i used to generate webm thumbnails musn't've done so for the ones I created since they were VP9. The documentation showed no hits for "VP8", I believe.

test. I tried an ffmeg command on the webm article of the Sup Forums wiki, but the end result was VP9 and had audio. I don't know what I expected. So I searched "Sup Forums ffmpeg webm" and am using the command recommended. And the quality appears to be disgusting.

for ffmpeg, the codec for VP8 is

-c:v libvpx

Maybe the temp readings are wrong? The fan shouldn't be blowing nonstop if the temps are ok. Does the laptop feel warm?

I got an Antec Nanodiamond or something for $14. It had diamond particles in it which is supposed to be better than silver because it doesn't conduct electricity so it won't accidentally fry your computer. But every time I mention it here I get bullied. So probably don't go with an Antec Nanodiamond.

This doesn't seem like a very Christian anime. I wouldn't let my kids watch 4kids stuff if this is what they show. I should complain to my Congressman to get anime banned in this country.

Not at all, its just going nonstop with no air coming out. I tried some pressurized air but it only fixed it for a minute or so, like theres a fucking curtain being sucked into the fan.

Thank you so much. I've added it to the command an user shared with me a while ago:

ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -ss 00:02:45 -t 00:01:30 -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 21 -c:a aac -b:a 192k -map_metadata -1 output.mp4

His post explaining it is in the ss I shared to the first user . Do you know how to preserve quality when converting to VP8? Your command seems to ruin it since it appears to be mutually exclusive with "-c:v libx264".

Toplel, it's a yuri anime called Sakura Trick. I wouldn't even recommend it since the characters sort of turn out to all be asses in the end.

Take it apaaaaaaaht

-c:v libx264

That wouldn't be a WebM...

>not recommending cute girls doing cute things together
???

I would open the laptop if I could just to make sure. Also, I had a laptop with a switchable graphics card (AMD/Intel). The fans would run at full blast because I disabled the AMD card. The AMD GPU was failing so I had to disable it.

my pc just randomly powered down in the middle of vidya, when i tried to start it up again it didnt work. would load the bios splash screen fine, then go into select how to boot windows normal/safemode/etc, and there would be 2 green bars on each of my monitors. then my 2nd monitor would lose signal and my first would just be there in standby black screen.

gonna try unplug some shit from power adapter see what happens

Oh, that's a shame. I used the convert to VP8 command and the quality seemed just as shite as the text webm I uploaded earlier using

ffmpeg -i someshit.mkv -c:v libvpx -an someshitallowedon4kids.webm

Yeah, if you want good quality, you have to do two pass encoding with some really customized settings.

It's really in the second last/ last episode where everyone gets anxious and upset and dishonest to each other, and no one ends up happy. Spoiler alert.

They're really nice on the eyes, though. And they do the Love Live upskirt a lot, plus a bit more, which is /really/ nice. It's ok. If you ignore subject matter it's quite good.

I run a small service for a couple of people using KVM, and I've decided I want to spy on my clients.

How would I go about doing this?

I can get console to the machine using virsh, but I'd still have to log in using a password.

Also, how do I erase any trace I was there?

Get rekt Alex.
Try removing the GPU, or using a different GPU.

which file manager do you use with Gnome? Nautilus crashes and hangs a lot on my machine.

spacefm

my gpu is rekt? :(

I don't know. If you take it out, does the rest of your computer work?

Not him but whenever my computer would fail to boot it would force itself into safe mode on integrated graphics (rather than discrete [a GPU]). I think it may just be a troubleshooting thing you do.

launched in safe mode without taking GPU out. u say i should take GPU out n try again? is there anywayh to see if GPU even connected rn? tried cpu-z n dxdiag but neither could detect much...

>tried cpu-z n dxdiag but neither could detect much...
Yeah, that's because they hook into the drivers.

1. Take the card out and see if it works without the discrete GPU.
2. If it does, put the GPU back in, use DDU to remove the GPU drivers, and then reinstall the drivers. See if it works now.
3. If it's still not working correctly, try booting a different operating system.
4. If it's still not working, your GPU is probably fucked.

>turn out to all be asses in the end.
Wasn't one yuri couple a girl and her country bumpkin cousin or something?

My memory of it's kind of hazy. I think the entire main cast might've been a couple, but a girl in the main couple had a sister who was crushing real hard on her sister's SO.

what if i skip the taking the card out and just remove + reinstall drivers? or just remove first, then try boot up normally without em? currently got a real fucked up shoulder and im really not up for much lifting or fine hand movements ykno

What is the secret to properly cooking a hot pocket? I do have a meat thermometer. I'm cooking the "ham n cheese" variety if that helps to inform your answer. Should I use the paper wrapper it comes with, or does that just add sogginess? My plates are china, but I do have paper plates if that makes for a more authentic dining experience. Not sure on sauces either, but I have american cheese and mustard, too.

reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/5ce8no/how_do_you_optimally_place_two_or_more_hot/

i never read the thread, but the subreddit deleted anything without sources, or something. i don't know.

that said, the thread was removed. So don't know of the quality control in the comments, there. It was on the front page when it dropped, though.

I have a raspi2 running osmc, connected via Ethernet. My library is entirely video/music files shared via samba from another machine.

Question: is it worth $35 to upgrade to a raspi3? The performance jump from a raspi1 to a raspi2 was pretty huge.

Second question: I'm currently using an original Xbox DVD kit ir receiver. It works flawlessly, but it's bulky and awkward to position. What ir receiver is recommended? I have an inteset int-422-2 that I'm quite happy with

Is there a small app or some other way that I can disable certain keys on my keyboard in Windows 10?

I have a shortcut to ffmpeg.exe on my desktop so that I can drag files to it when I don't feel like dealing with file association shit. The files have opened fine until today, where I get this fucking Windows Security popup I've never seen before.

The 0.blv in the screenshot is hosted on a MicroSD card, but I've opened files from this card in this way regularly in the past without any of this shit.

What do you guys do with all your cables?? Pic related is behind my tv. I have my
Pi: PSU, Ethernet, HDMI, ir receiver.
Xb1: PSU, HDMI.
Xb360: PSU, hdmi.
Original Xbox: power cable, component cables.
PS3: power cable, HDMI.
HDMI switch: power cable, HDMI.
File server: power cable, HDMI/dvi, 3.5mm audio, Ethernet, USB hub power
Stereo: RCA inputs from tv, 2 pair speaker cables (receiver and sub sit ~10ft from entertainment center/ speakers).
And the surge protector.

The file server can be headless, so that can be relocated

Whenever I watch two 1080p/60fps twitch streams at the same time, my PC becomes incredibly slow. I have tried reinstalling my OS, changing video drivers, and absolutely nothing has fixed it. It happens if I use streamlink aswell. My cpu usage doesn't go above 30% when this happens, and my memory and GPU usage are also low.

Everything seems ok when I am just browsing the internet, playing vidya, or watching a single 1080p/60fps stream. It only seems to go to shit when I open two at the same time.

Things I have tried
>reinstalling OS/drivers
>disabling all power saving shit for cpu and windows

I am hoping to god someone can help me with this issue as it is beginning to piss me off beyond belief.

I've also been experiencing an issue where my computer will freeze to a solid color/loop audio in an incredibly loud manner, requiring a hard reboot. Not sure if that is related or not...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I bought artic silver last time. Just don't do webm related

Upgrade to Ryzen 7!
The choice CPU for multitasking!

Nemo, maybe thunar

Best is to use the oven or a toaster oven.
If your microwave spins, ensure the pocket is either centered or off center.
If your microwave doesn't spin, place the pocket slightly to one side, cook halfway, place sightly to the other side, cook the rest of the way.
Lower the power and cook for slightly longer.
After cooking, let the pocket sit for a few minutes. This allows the carryover cooking to finish and the heat to distribute evenly.

I know that h265 encoding requires much CPU power to encode with, but does it require much CPU power to playback in MPC-HC or VLC?

Because if it does require much CPU power, then what's the point of it?

Posted this on /wsr/ but that board is even slower:

I'm currently using Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Last night, everything was fine and I turned off the PC when I went to sleep. After turning it on, only one out of a total of ten USB ports was working and only for the keyboard, anything else I put there doesn't work.
I've searched and tried a lot of things to fix it, among them:

- Reboot with and without USB connected, in the usual place or at random.
- Shutdown, disconnect from energy and pressing power button for 30 seconds, leaving it unplugged for a couple of hours.
- On BIOS, I tried a combination of every option related to USB.
- On Device Manager, removed every single USB entry. I also tried reinstalling them manually, with Windows Update or using generic drivers. Also removed all the hidden and unused devices.
- I tried some driver manager software to reinstall USB and chipset drivers.
- Registry clean with software and some of them manually.
- Windows troubleshooting.
- SFC /scannow
- A windows utility that is supposed to fix USB problems (and of course, it doesn't)
- Booting in normal startup (all services enabled), safe boot with and without network.
- Malware-Bytes virus scan because why not, found nothing.

I'm sure it's not a hardware problem for two things: trying with a Fedora LiveUSB all of them worked, and they also work when I try to use Windows System restore (I don't have any restore point, so I can't use this to rollback). For now I'm managing by using the keyboard and for mouse my Note 8.0 through the VirtualTablet app.

I'm pretty sure it's a driver problem since I can't install shit, it always ends up with "Device driver software was not successfully installed", with no clear explanation on why the fuck it can't install them.
Do you know any other thing I could try before a clean install?
That's the last thing I want to do, configuring and reinstalling all the software, updates and customization I need would take me too fucking much.

tl;dr ver plz

I just started making anything at all. I went to move my work scripts into a wpf app when I realized how shit it is syncing my textblocks with my code as things change in the background.

I wished for the text to just update if the string ever changed. Seems like I'll have to just put a refresh button there. I've been googling shit all week but I don't get the mvvm that gets jerked off.

Pro tips on this or better direction to learn for someone just starting?

USB drivers are fucked. Can't reinstall or fix them no matter what I try.

I wrote all the shit I tried to discard that quickly.

It's not hardware related, wangblows fucked itself.

have you checked the mobo connection?

how to start VLC automatically with subtitles? Setting them up through the preferences>subtitles menu doesn't do anything when set to English or [English], I have to manually turn them on from the main subtitles menu, which is set to Disabled by default. I can change audio to Japanese by default. Video is such a pain in the ass, you'd think they'd have this shit figured out by now. Everyone is so obsessed with DRM that it's 50/50 chance you can even get a dvd you bought to work in any dvd player. Blu-ray is even worse, feels like we're going backwards in terms of this technology.

Yeah, the hardware is fine, I even checked if the other devices were OK.

I just turned the PC off, and when I turned it on again, only the keyboard worked.

Using a Fedora LiveUSB (On any port) works and I plug and unplug shit on the others and everything works, even on the Windows System Restore utility, but I fucked up and have no restore points.

I have an old laptop with a broken screen. Literally can't see anything.
I hooked it up to my TV via HDMI and the desktop is mirrored, but without desktop icons and anything I open opens up in the primary display (fucked laptop screen) and the function keys don't seem to work properly
What are my options here to get the HDMI as the only display?

are you gettingg a malfunctioned message>?

So, I have this spare AM3 backplate...
Can I put this on my Crosshair VI, and use it with a corsair H100i?

Do you mean an error?
I've tried a lot what seems to work for other people, removing the device and reinstalling, and it always ends up with "Device driver software was not successfully installed". I tested it on all the ports.

MPV

probably

I want to play stream games to my laptop with controller support. I tried port forwarding, i think i did it right. But when i connect to Tlestra Air while my desktop is connected to my Network. It just does not connect.... It will work if im on the same network as my Desktop

This is what i followed i went to What's my IP. Copied my local address and did all this

forums.geforce.com/default/topic/764816/gamestream/remote-gamestream-router-port-forwarding-and-tegra-zone-update-/

never mind figured it out. pain in the ass

If your gpu has hardware accelerated h265 decoding, then no. Newer gpus have this.

H265 gets higher quality at lower sizes.

Windows update/ generic drivers suck.
Go to your motherboard MFG and download drivers from there.
Go to each device MFG and download drivers from there.
Else backup and reinstall, should only take an hour or two. Setup automatic restore points.

You want your program to automatically change the displayed text when done other thing is changed?
I don't know what you're using, but are there event listeners you can use? Have them fire when changes occur.
It you could have a thread check at intervals for changes.

Tools > preferences > hit 'all' at the bottom > interface > set subtitle track to 0, 1, or 2 can't remember which
Also check video > subtitles in that same 'all' menu

If that fails you could always remux as mkv and set the desired subs to default or forced. Mkvtoolnix is bretty gud.

I believe you mean the desktop is extended.
If you're running Windows 7 or later I believe you can hit super+p to go through the display modes.
Hit super+e to open an explorer window, hit super+shift+right arrow (or possibly left if the settings aren't at the default) to move the explorer window to the working screen. Use the location bar to go to the control panel.
Right click on the desktop you can see and make a folder. Open said folder, use the location bar to go to the control panel.

my phone bricked for some reason last night. No idea why, it was on and taking charge one minute, then the next it just refuses to take charge and refuses to turn on or respond in nay way.

Anyway, the metal cover for the nano sim slot has come off (its an xperia z5). I can;'t even retreive my SIM or SD card.

Any idea on how to get into this without any "grip"? I just can't get any purchase to slide it out.

I have a 32" 2560x1440p Samsung monitor. It's great. Plenty of input options, amazing IPS panel with even better colors and viewing angles. However in speccy it shows it as 59hz. Several games even show it as 59.95hz in their settings menus on occasion. But when using an fps counter, it shows 60. When using shadowplay for recording, it shows 60. When I import a video into Sony movie studio, the program says the imported source material is 60fps. I have the monitor set to 60hz in Windows display settings, but keeps kicking back to 59hz.

None of this impacts performance at all and honestly, I'm not going to be some elitist who swears he can see the difference between 59 and 60hz. Just irks me that I can't figure out why this happens. Monitor is connected via a Displayport 1.2a capable cable, hooked to a GTX 980ti.

Years and years ago I did something that broke my laptop. I don't know what I did but I'm curious and maybe one of you guys can shed some light.

I was playing Diablo 2 during patch 1.09 and wanted to try the 1.10 beta. I downloaded the patch from somewhere but I don't remember where.

The game worked with the beta patch: features that were included with 1.10 were functioning. The game worked like this for about a couple of days but then the laptop stopped working.

The laptop would freeze and when restarting, the OS was unable to be found. Letting it sit for a night I was able to get it to work for a short time (few hours maybe) and then it would freeze and not find the OS again.

That lasted for about a couple of more days before it simply stopped finding the OS at all.

By the sound of it what happened? I don't think it was malware from the patch but that was the only variable that changed. This was in 2003 or 2004 by the way.

Measurement error - the clocks used to count refreshes may be off just slightly.

I have hundreds of shows in .mkv with FLAC audio, should I reencode them to AAC-LC? What would the ffmpeg command look like for doing the whole directory?

Anyone ITT have the SSD in pic related? Or anyone have a Kingston SSD in general? How are they for reliability? I know this drive is definitely a mega budget drive, so I'm not expecting crazy performance. This is being thrown into an itx budget box I built for my parents to use as a means of streaming movies from my server to the living room TV. Just looking to make this a boot drive running Windows 7 and want to make sure it's not going to go belly up after 2 months. I've only ever bought Samsung SSDs for myself. But $35 for this drive will fit the bill nicely I hope.

So yay or nay Sup Forums?

Thanks, user(s), I tried again for the 100th time on safe boot, this time with no network and when I tried to install scanned the winsxs folder (I tried this at least twice before), and now I got an option that said something about the driver certificate and install anyway, and this fixed it. When I get to the normal boot I still get the message that the device was not installed properly, but it works anyway.

I tried the official drivers first, several times (From the newest version to the oldest), but it still didn't work.
Fucking Windows, man. I'm only staying on it for a few software that has a subpar or no alternative, but I'll leave it eventually.

In the end I still don't know what the fuck caused the problem, and what the fuck fixed it. But it werks.

sounds like hdd died. slave drive it or try a different port?

Sounds like a hardware failure, probably the HDD.

Ah ok. Figured it was something stupid. Does the fact that the monitor appears as "generic PnP monitor" in my device manager mean anything in this regard?

I've since gotten rid of the laptop. The scenario just popped into my head and was curious. Thanks though

Thanks bruh...

help pls

...I want to lick it.
Will I die?

is there an easy way to edit notepad++ color scheme, not the editor color scheme, but notepad++, like lines with file, edit, search and so on ?

OS skins/themes

but i don't want my whole os color scheme changed, just the notepad++

Why do you want to reencode the audio?

I have a 60gb v300 I stuck in an eeepc 1000hd for kicks. Definitely a noticable performance boost even for the low end netbook (sata I, ddr2, Celeron m). Works fine but I don't use the machine much.

If all you're doing is streaming video, why not a fire stick/tv or raspi (w/osmc)? Both have built in wifi and Bluetooth, both use less power than your budget box, both would likely be easier for normies to use, and are probably cheaper to boot.
Fire stick if you want to be able to use Netflix/Amazon prime video/etc. Raspi to avoid botnet

Now's the time to try some Linux. Dual boot mint cinnamon or mate, takes literally half an hour to setup and super easy.

Possibly? Are there drivers available for your monitor?

Only because you'd be murdered for causing an outage.

I want to connect 2 pcs together using ethernet cable so I can copy files between them. Both have gigabit nics and I have a cat5e cable. Do I still need a crossover cable or will it auto-negotiate? Also, will I get gigabit speeds or at least close to it?

That shit makes me anxious. Imagine having to backtrack a bad wire in that cluster? I'd go insane.

Reminds me of this mess. Can't imagine where to even begin to fix this.

Modern NICs will auto-negotiate. What kind of cabling are you using? That will determine the speed.

Thank you for the direction. I will read more into those tomorrow when I'm not tired. Checking periodically was something I considered but got side tracked.

I am turning a batch/powershell script into c# wpf app. I've been having alot fun learning this far seeing what I can make happen.

Cat5e, I'm retarded. You should get gigabit if your NICs support it.

Cat5e should give you gigabit as long as your run isn't over 30m.

You'll need to manually configure IP addresses, but that's about it.

>fire stick
I was considering it but problem is our WiFi. I'm on a 100/100 connection with Verizon. Yay! Except they force me to use their absolute garbage can tier wireless router. It's dual band but streaming over WiFi requires buffering every once in a while. Unacceptable to me. Plus the server is a Windows share. I don't think the fire stick can connect to Windows/SMB shares.

My budget box didn't cost much h at all really.
>and sempron quad core + am1 socket itx board -$40
>4gb ddr3-$10
>Silverstone sfx PSU 300w-$35
>elite 110 case -$35

Then this SSD and that'll be it. It was originally my server before I found it was lacking in certain features, so it was retired and sitting on my shelf. Basically I need a machine with full file browser and Ethernet capabilities to properly stream from my server, so the RPI was out.

>driver for my monitor
I checked and no, there aren't other than some auto rotate detection software. Seems I'm just stick with 59hz displayed. Oh well. No harm no foul.

I'm not the best with sed/grep/awk
Is this what you want?
curl -s 'm.news.yandex.ru/quotes/6.html?mar=0' | sed "s/[]/\n/g" | grep -E '[0-9],[0-9]{4}'
You were redirecting the output of curl to a temp file and then opening the cat file when you could have just piped the output to sed/grep
I'm not sure if those are the numbers you wanted, though. Maybe I misread the whole thing.

They'll auto negotiate no problem if their NICs aren't ancient. Assuming both are gigabit like you say, the only factor you'd have to worry about is hard drive speeds being able to read/write as fast as their connection. My 1TB Seagate drives can saturate my network when moving large files over the network with cat5e easily.

Odd though. Why go through this trouble? How much data are you moving? Or do you just not have an external on hand?

*and then opening the file with cat

Does their router/modem have Ethernet ports? If so just plug a separate router in and use that. If they throw a hissy fit, spoof the routers external Mac.

FYI, u can install Kodi on the fire for maximum comfy. Does just about all share protocols ootb. That's what my parents are using.

Yes their router has 4 Ethernet ports that all the rooms/PC's in the house are hard wired to. Problem is that the house would now have 6 wireless signals floating around because the Verizon router doesn't let me turn off or just hide the signal broadcast. So I'd have those 2 signals, the 2 from my good router, and the 2 from the repeater in my room. It'd just be confusing and a security risk all around. Bad enough their router doesn't even let me set separate passwords for the 2.4/5ghz channels. They share a pass. Lastly, I can't disconnect their wireless s router entirely in favor of my own because the modem connect to the router via coaxial, not Ethernet.

I was using a Linksys wrt1200AC before this that was absolute tits. Greatest investment ever.

>Why do you want to reencode the audio?
FLAC is a huge bloat for these shows, I want to downsample? it to AAC or something much more lightweight. I do not want to touch the video quality at all, but I want to do this to the (track 1) audio on all of the files.

Could someone explain to me why these ports red) aren't working

Why is it supposedly so difficult to get a gf when (((women))) outnumber eligible bachelors?

one of my HDD killed, I have spare external HDD that is also killed but assume it is either cord or chip and not actual HDD

tried plugging HDD into pc using sata and power but does not recognise because was external (wrong format? has drivers because external?) can't reformat

to reformat without recognise does need new sata to usb converter or other way? esata converter? microwave???

Just curious, why do you have separate ssids for 2.4/5ghz?

I setup a wifi coverage for a small clinic (~5000 ft^2), what I did was hardwire a couple of small routers in AP mode to a main one. Every router has the same ssid/pass, but different channels and there's no separate ssids for 2.4/5.

Modern devices are intelligent about picking the best AP and band to connect to, that clinic has had zero problems - no stutters or dropped coverage when moving between APs even with then moving around a lot during the day.

Back on topic, I suppose you could open Verizon's router and disconnect the wifi antenna...
There should be a way to disable wifi on Verizon's router. What model is it?

So I'm on a Mac. I have another windows computer next to me as well however it's a piece of trash and can't do much at all. The mac mini 2010 is the best computer I've ever owned. (Please no h8)

So here's the problem, I'm trying to use my 4TB ext HDD on here, but for some reason it's READ ONLY and it's pissing me off. I need to transfer some shit over to it but it wont let me, and some dumb shit tutorials are telling me that if I want to make my mac read it, I have to reformat it. FUCK NO. I have 2TBs if not almost 3TBs of data on this things. I cannot afford to lose. Do I seriously have to jump over to my windows PC to do everything with this?

I like mac, it's not horrible but why do we need so many fucking file systems? It's honestly stupid. I get the unix and windows stuff but thats all we need and communicating back and forth is what it should be. Why read only? I dun get this

exfat works on windows and mac os, but you need to reformat if it isn't already.
no, you aren't making it writeable with some magic trick.
it's just how it is.
deal with it or reformat.
2010 is 7 years ago, I doubt your 4TB hard disk is that old, so I assume you got the disk after already using mac os, so you should have known better and formatted it correctly right away.