/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to produce a fine mechanical watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.watchuseek.com/f24/wow-sinn-reps-out-there-scary-341227.html?highlight=fakes
thedivewatchconnection.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1639
poljot24.de/en/aviator-7750st.html
youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZTqC2Yxxs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luohu_Commercial_City
forums.watchuseek.com/f20/genuine-omega-parts-made-china-1053699.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw no modern tuning fork movements

De Bethune was working on a magnetic resonance kinda thing, but that was years ago. Who knows where that is now.

> posting low-beat movements

If only it were possible to use those super high beat movements as the primary timekeeping mechanism.

agreed, shame they don't run more than 5 minutes or whatever

i have that watch its a beautiful time piece

agreed

What year is yours? My '66 turned 50 last year

Ex NEET here. I've been getting counselling and have been immersing myself to real life and the responsibilities it brings for the past 6 months. I am still not quite there and need to work on a whole list of things. I want to motivate myself by setting some goals and I wish to make one of the rewards one or two quintessential watches. Sadly, on a student budget only. Let's say a total of $150? Happy to buy used (AUS)

I currently only own a Timex Expedition (cream dial) and 2 Casio beater watches (W59 and W800H). I would love to own an automatic watch. Can someone recommend one or two interesting auto watches to consider? I was thinking of a Seiko auto field watch and a Bambino dress watch. Or maybe a Rodina? Thanks friendos.

those are perfectly good choices. at that price range you can't go too wrong with Seiko and Orient and there aren't a lot of other safe choices. You can always try to pick up a cheap used vintage watch but odds are it would need a $200 service. I wouldn't recommend the Rodina; aside from sounding like a Harley Davidson, its design is likely to get old faster than the Seiko or Orient.

good luck user.

Soon™

S A R B
A
R
B

Oh and get sarb033, 035 is for shitters.

The crown guard ruins the design. Too bad.
Also, what are those kind of straps called?

Just looks like a regular leather strap. The crown guard is fine with be to be honest, less noticeable with the rotating bezel (since it adds 1mm of diameter).

magnetic gears fuckas
how can frictionerds even compete

There any good cheap chink pocket watches that show off clockwork?

I love the look of clockwork in motion but cant justify the price for something that would be deskart at most.

The Delphin is way better, when is it coming back?

Not for many months, at least. May as well just send halios an email asking when they'll do another run.

Why is Seiko considered a shitter?

It isn't. Some of their cheap pieces maybe, but there are great seiko watches too.

Anyone modded thier SARB?
I want to replace the hands with non lumed ones.

I think they're called vintage straps.

I'm looking for that link to buy the rep Sinn U1, it looks better than the original.

Anyone have the link?

What size is that and where can I buy it new?

>it looks better than the original.

Not hard as Sinns are ugly as "sin".

The newest accutron 214s are 4 decades old now. You're not buying one new unless you luck out huge and find a NOS piece.

>reps are good enough to be sources for out of stock parts for vintage pieces.

>There are many ways to spot a counterfeit Sinn vs. an authentic Sinn. Unfortunately opening up it's caseback and looking at the movement would probably be a more difficult way to do it.

>I have personally seen reps in the past that have had genuine ETA movements verified by a watchmaker. Like I said, scary stuff...

>it seems verified that the "swiss" ETA movements are indeed asian replica movements

forums.watchuseek.com/f24/wow-sinn-reps-out-there-scary-341227.html?highlight=fakes

Lmao

WTF is that company's problem? Why don't they produce more?

Bulova got bought by citizen, and the machines used to make the tuning fork movements were scrapped a while ago. Quartz sort of took over as the alternative to mechanical movements. The accutron IIs you can buy now are essentially fancier quartz movements with a 16bps second hand.

They had a hell of a time trying to reverse engineer their own watch for the 50th anniversary accutron. The technology in these tuning fork watches is still amazing even compared to todays technology.

This is the closest new model I can find

What's the affordable yet still respectable version of pic related? I want it so bad but $20,000 is ridiculous

Pelagos?

rep from noob factory

too big also too expensive my budget is around $1000

>rep
*fake

Are there any sub 40mm Bulova watches worth looking at?

They seem to cater more to the obese market with their 45mm moon watch etc.

It's not a fake because it's a replica. It's not sold pretending to be the real thing. Everyone involved in the transaction is aware it's a replica of the original. It's more honest than homages that are just ripoffs.

I can buy that argument for defunct brands, and where the item has a distinguishing feature somewhere that makes it recongizable as a replica.

But a Rolex "rep" is just a fake, made to mislead people other than the original buyer

Rate my new watch /wt/

That's not what replica means, or how any of this works.

yuge/10

>It's not sold pretending to be the real thing.
It is, if it has the original branding on it. If it was a "replica", it wouldn't have the trademarked rolex logo on it.

you need to leave

Aliexpress shitter?

You can go fuck off to your """""""""replica"""""""" forums if you're so obsessed with everyone thinking you own a real Rolex when you're actually too stupid, poor or impatient to get the real thing.

At least someone who has a Steinhart can say "well I like Rolex design wise and this brand makes something similar looking at a good price", whereas someone buying fakes are a fraud themselves otherwise they wouldn't specifically buy an unservicable, illegal, shitty counterfeit purely for the logo and markings so they could try and trick people into thinking they're something they aren't. Real watches can show an appreciation for horology, history and craftsmanship, fake watches show you have no sense of dignity and are perfectly happy to be a phony so long as you maybe get one person to ogle at you when they see the word "Rolex" on the dial.

Nope, has an ETA. Yours for the low low price of €2000, honestly don't know who buys that sort of thing.

poljot24.de/en/aviator-7750st.html

"rep" is a fake
Fake is for faggots
FUCK OFF, YOU FUCKING FAGGOT
LEAVE THIS THREAD

>unservicable

Not true at all for many of the clone movements.

>illegal

Not illegal to buy them.

>shitty

Only if you buy a shitty replica, many of them are practically indistinguishable from the original.

I know it breaks your heart that your entire hobby is essentially a scam and that people in China have essentially managed to prove the entire industry worthless by producing a 90% as good product in tiny workshops under constant threat of getting shut down but it's true. Your hobby is a scam,

Thoughts?

>integrated bracelet

Very few watches can get away with that, and a meh tier, dadcore bulova isn't one of them.

FUCKOFF LYING SHILL

THIS IS WHAT THE LAW DEFINES THEM AS:

Totally legal. Correct.

These aren't actually counterfeit goods.

To be a counterfeit good an item must not only resemble another in every way it must also be sold or possessed with the claim that it IS the other item.

For instance.
Let's say you buy this watch from one of these on-line sites. Your receipt will clearly state REPLICA Rolex as they are selling it to you while clearly informing you that it is not real.

If you then went and sold this watch and told the buyer it was a REAL Rolex it would then be a counterfeit watch because you would be attempting to pass it off as the real thing.

You could even re-sell these watches legally as long as you call them REPLICA Rolexes.

The intent to deceive the buyer is a big part of the definition of a counterfeit.

>that people in China have essentially managed to prove the entire industry worthless by producing a 90% as good product

I would never buy a rep but I love this fact

swiss meme needs to end. Seiko could've killed them in the 70s if they didn't ban them from COSC competitions

Chinkshit fakes are only even minimally convincing if you don't care at all about the quality of the movement used inside the watch, and only care about convincingly copying the surface appearance of the watch well enough to try and steal the perceived social status that comes from wearing it.

That is to say that fake buyers are complete fucking plebs with zero interest in or regard for horology. You should be embarrassed to publicly admit how shallow and cringingly status seeking you are.

I've just looked this automatic Citizen diver at a local watch shop and it's being sold for 150€. I've never seen this model before, stunning imo. What do you think?

youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZTqC2Yxxs

>THIS IS WHAT THE LAW DEFINES THEM AS:

What "Law" retard? Every country has different legal systems and even individual states within the US will have varying penalties for, yes, BUYING counterfeit goods. Furthermore fake watches are, the world over, violations of intellectual property rights and if you get caught companies like Rolex have a legal right to press for a civil suit in most jurisdictions (which they have done repeatedly).

But by all means go tell a cop your computer is filled with copyrighted movies that you've pirated and when you get in legal trouble you can have fun screaming DUDE THEY'RE JUST REPLICA MOVIES BRO WHAT ARE YOU DOING??!?!?

The fact that you're even defending this shit speaks volume about you. The fact that something you do may or may not result in fucking criminal or civil punishment does not magically make it an acceptable practice. If you found a loophole in your city's noise ordinances and then decided to blare air raid sirens all day going BRO THIS ISN'T ILLEGAL CALM DOWN doesn't make you any less of a douche.

You should be embarrassed to claim to be a fan of watches and so clearly have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to clone watch movements. Many of them are far more impressive technology than the supposed """"real"""" brands that cost many times the price because of their insane markups. I understand that you want to convince yourself you haven't wasted hundreds or thousands of dollars on inferior products but that is literally what you have done.

Well I'm not really sure about the legal things surrounding these things but if the user above just liked the design he could have bought a homage which looks like the real thing but is sold by a different watch manufacturer.

A CH ward Trident would be an OK pick I think.

user while they may look like the same thing from the outside the caliber inside often leaves things to be desired. For example does that noob always confirm to cosc and has less then 5SPD?

Are you the chink user?

>varying penalties for, yes, BUYING counterfeit goods

There are no laws against OWNING reps.

Many states still have laws against sucking cocks but that never stopped you.

>A CH ward Trident would be an OK pick

A classic example of something that would cost twice what a replica would but have a worse movement. The a2824 and a2836 ETA clones which would be what is inside a replica diver are essentially the same movement but the replica would cost $300 where a CW costs £700 new which is an absolutely outrageous difference.

Fair enough buy an Orient Mako or Ray if you want one but if you do a direct price comparison for what you're actually getting with similarly priced competitors the replicas are almost always far better value.

What do you guys think of the seiko pilotmaster?

>replica

There's that word again.

btw I know your parents don't really make an issue of this but your greasy ponytail really looks awful.

No but I worked in Shenzhen for 7 years which is the home of pretty much all of the replica industry (of any product, cars, electronics etc). They've improved a lot in a short time in almost every area, in fact many companies who start off as straight up copycats go on to produce genuinely great products of their own once they've learned how to do it themselves.

Genuinely believe we're around 5-10 years away from a lot of these small independents making money from fakes blowing apart the industry by making superior products for a fraction of the price. While it's true there's a lot of shit there as well, there are so many at it the quality will rise to the top.

Bulova Moon Watch is more authentic

>people in China have essentially managed to prove the entire industry worthless by producing a 90% as good product in tiny workshops under constant threat of getting shut down
This is a good thing, but they need to focus on making their own brands instead of copying and faking mountain people watches.

I mean, there are decent chink chrono movements for under $100 and fucking tourbillion movements

I see the similarities but I don't like the shape of the body

>Knowingly and deliberately lying
Typical of the fraudsters who buy and sell Chinkshit fakes. Show me a Rolex 3135 "clone" with an actual free sprung balance, idiot. It's a little more complex than a dogshit ETA 2824-2 clone.

I'm obviously not comparing a $300 replica to a $10,000 rolex you berk. I'm comparing it to things of the same price and up into the thousands which offer fucking shite technology in comparison with outrageous markups.

>Typical of the fraudsters who buy and sell Chinkshit fakes. Show me a Rolex 3135 "clone" with an actual free sprung balance, idiot. It's a little more complex than a dogshit ETA 2824-2 clone.

Shit, just show me a Rolex clone movement that doesn't break down in a year or can even be COSC certifiable.

I've been hearing this "5 years" since forever. I've seen magnified comparisons of the ETA, Sellita and TC versions of the 2824 and the chink one is rough as fuck.

Also they're just yellow animals not actual people, they can't into R&D apart from skeletonizing their horrible Tongji monstrosities.

Does any factory still make a decent commie-tier Tongji even?

The difference in quality over the last 5 years is remarkable so I don't know what you're talking about. It's happened in plenty of electronics fields already so I don't know why you think watch movements are somehow immune.

>it's not white so it must be inferior

lmao you entitled trump rednecks are in for a rude awakening this century. you can't even outcompete an illiterate mexican, much less asians

>low-end garbage electronics and memenicals are the same
Okay kid. I sure can't wait for rep movement to be the same amazing quality as those Chinese PCB's I keep having nightmares about.

Alright, Zhou Enlai. I'm sorry too you can't be Japanese.

Pretty much same model, I'd save up a bit more and get a NY0040 if available. Its more or less the same miyota automatic movement but with divers 200 WR, ebay prices and your price are arbitrary

>Cleetus tries to be condescending when he's just clueless

this is too funny

Oh, so you actually mean that Chinkshit fakes can sort of adequately copy grossly overpriced ETA shitters? Congratulations.

But why would you want to throw money away on Chinkshit fakes of watches you should be embarassed to own the REAL of?

>delusional chinks lovers

Never seen a chink watch above the potato chips surprise quality.
They'll never improve to an acceptable level as long as the whole purpose is to produce an imitation keeping the production cost on the dollar.

>I worked in Shenzhen for 7 years
And you haven't realized that the whole chinese economy is a bubble? One slow fella.

No, he is right. Chinkshit mainland locust scum don't even believe in quality control or in not ripping off the customer.

Every supplier in a Chinese supply chain will cut corners, lie cheat and steal unless you send a non-subhuman there to watch their factories and make sure they dont sell you plastic rice.

If your watch is bigger than this on your wrist then you're a tryhard insecure faggot.

>if asians do it they are subhuman
>if whites do it they are badass hustlers

yawn. those cases are just whites butthurt a minority had the audacity to outsmart them.

>ching chong ping pong harro prease china stronk!
Alright Kung Pao, don't you have some smog to breathe or newborn girls to drown?

Dressy as fuck.

>reps are good enough to be sources for out of stock parts for vintage pieces.

>There are many ways to spot a counterfeit Sinn vs. an authentic Sinn. Unfortunately opening up it's caseback and looking at the movement would probably be a more difficult way to do it.

>I have personally seen reps in the past that have had genuine ETA movements verified by a watchmaker. Like I said, scary stuff...

>it seems verified that the "swiss" ETA movements are indeed asian replica movements

Asspained post-purchase rationalized detected

Sorry you're lead by your emotions, bro. Hope you find your way out of fag-opause soon.

I saw that episode of Top Gear too

>Obviously you won't get the tegimented steel or quality materials/movement but it is scary knowing that there's reps out there for something even like this
First line, first link.

Lol I don't even wear watchs, getting pretty defensive aren't you?

We should ask Hirohito to ban all PRC addresses from posting on Sup Forums.

Pic related:
>vintage Rolex
>current production Rolex
>Rolex rep

This Timex Unisex T2N647 "Weekender" you guys recomended me is holding up like a boss

In Top Gear they went to Beijing where there's a fraction of what goes on down in the PRD lad. All of that stuff is down in the south and particularly in Shenzhen. If you ever want anything fake go here and whatever it is you're after it'll be there.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luohu_Commercial_City

Replica of Rolex Submariner Ref. 5517, which was produced in 1975.

Like the genuine, the replica Rolex Vintage Submariner 5517 features a black matte dial with encirled “T” that indicates its military use.

Most parts for all current """""Swiss""""" movements and cases are made in China, just like this replica.

IMAGINE MY SHOCK

forums.watchuseek.com/f20/genuine-omega-parts-made-china-1053699.html

How about we ignore the troll and talk about real watches instead?

After wearing my 116223 Datejust for a few days I've been really blown away by how much I like the design of the pre-current model 36mm Datejust and how much I like the way it wears on me.

It has me seriously considering a blue dialed 16200 at some point, as the 16200 has the narrower lugs and the classic rectangular batons.

Tons of parts are fabricated in China and assembled in Switzerland. In order to have the 'Made in Switzerland' designation, the watch only needs to derive 50% of its VALUE from Swiss origins. MOST OF THAT IS ADVERTISING SPENDING.

Anything can be made to a high degree of quality if a good QA/QC system is in place, no matter the origin. Much of the Swiss mystique stems from good advertising. Citizen and Seiko also do tons of manufacturing in China.

Is the Speedmaster the only Omega worth getting desu?