What does Sup Forums think about textboards and the BBS that came before it? /prog/ needs to come back

What does Sup Forums think about textboards and the BBS that came before it? /prog/ needs to come back.

why was /prog/ removed?

Was a nice thing.

M00t faggatory.

Moot decided to purge them all one day.

Just rename this place to /prog/ so we can have Sup Forumsuro back

Or /tech/

Keep it Sup Forums, but make it a text only board.

PROTIP: 4-ch dot net

Would improve the quality of multiple boards on this site, as well as cut down on memesters.

Overall, I like text-based discussion. Just makes sense to me. Why would you not build an interface around its medium?

It's funny to say, but BBSs are actually more popular than a lot of text-boards that are still left. I think it's because that, if you have an interest in text-based discussion platforms you'd gravitate to a BBS over an obscure text-board, which seems like an awkward mix between the two. Also they have mail and get get pulled and pushed with utilities like Multimail or other software.

No https,senpai.

What are recommended BBS software? You won't even need a web browser and can do everything via telnet or a dedicated terminal client.

>What are recommended BBS software?

Technically, telnet and ssh are "BBS software", and most BBS software these days are just front ends for that.

Being helpful though, Qodem is by far my favourite because it plays well without X.

>Would improve the quality of multiple boards on this site, as well as cut down on memesters.

AHAHAH how new are (You) ?

it was only shitpost. And I mean really *only* shitposting and memes

>can't smug_anime.jpg
Into the trash.

26ch dot net
goatfinger dot ga
and many others

But then where would I post the cute anime girls

>stop being a weeb
or
>image host like imgct, pomf.cat, whatever

>text only

The weeb butthurt would be glorious

It's not a bug; it's a feature.

>qodem
>go to one of its listed BBSs
>see some pretty cool ANSI art
>disconnect
>get this

RUDE!

>improve the quality
>cut down on memesters
Your whole point relies on the assertion that those two groups are separate. Which I doubt is the case, because I've seen boards where they tried that and they were total memholes. Do you even remember /prog/?

There's also dis.tinychan.org/prog/ and dis.4ct.org/prog/.

BBSs are weird. I've played around with a few times, but the entire paradigm and concept is so different. Is there a place that clues you in to their conventions?

Anything with zero moderation will turn to shit. /prog/ had no moderation and it turned out the way it did.

>Also they have mail and get get pulled and pushed with utilities like Multimail or other software.

Can't you also do that with regular comments?

Turn Sup Forums into a text board as /tech/, that way it cuts down on ebin meme picture threads and posters

It would cut down on the redditors who want their epic images included in the screencap, but it won't stop people from typing out memes and shitposts. That's why you need tight moderation.

>connection closed
It's clearly wide open.

loooooooool

>Would improve the quality of multiple boards on this site, as well as cut down on memesters.
You didn't visit /prog/ at all, did you? Besides the rare decent thread, that place made Sup Forums look like a serious place.

Moderation is key to all online interaction.

And I mean "moderation" in all senses of the word.

Agree, but that applies to imageboards too. There's no inherent reason a image board would have lower quality discussion than a text board if both had the same kind of users, mods, etc.

Yes, with the *.REP file that is made by something like multimail. You can get it through the Ubuntu repos, can't say much about any others. You launch it with 'mm' and Qodem is made to work with it really well.

Are MUDs more or less autistic than usual MMOs?