Give me [spoiler]six[/spoiler] reasons why i should learn ruby if i already know python, java/script, and c

Give me [spoiler]six[/spoiler] reasons why i should learn ruby if i already know python, java/script, and c

Other urls found in this thread:

sitepoint.com/ruby-ecosystem-new-rubyists/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you shouldn't

i like ruby because it's easy to learn etc. but for you it would be dumb

It is a neat language for web developing.

ruby is a whole ecosystem of garbage.
>rbenv
>gem
>bundle
>rake

you have to learn all of it just to build something from source because "make && make install" is too straightforward

I started to learn it earlier this week but holy shit dhh is a cringy fuck and he even throws politics into his keynotes.

>stay young
>stay curious
>stay hippie

What a twat. It really makes me want to stop learning Rails.

He's also a commie millionaire, the worst kind of commie.

Do people use it for anything else?

I sometimes write scripts to process data with it. It's not too bad, there are far worse scripting languages.

Primary reason to use Ruby is because it is a pleasant language to program in. Other than maybe metasploit, there aren't too many frameworks available in Ruby that aren't available in other languages. It's not a language you use because you have to, but because you want to.

>you have to learn all of it just to build something from source because "make && make install" is too straightforward
You do not need to learn any of them to build something from source, you just need to use them. That said, chances are you really only need to gem install the damn thing. Becuase, you know, package managers. They're a thing. Really, just say it with me now...

sudo gem install name-of-library

Was that so hard?

It's a nice general purpose scripting language. You don't need to be a web dev to use Ruby.

No! Ruby has no future, just like php, javascript and probably python.

For current web developers:
django > spring boot > symfony > rails > laravel

Is it dead?

I was actually considering going into webdev but when you go into this language seems like all the jobs are either in NYC or SF, two places I'd rather not ever be if I can help it.

not sure if this is a troll. js has no future?

once wasm is a thing, javascript will die.

ruby has dropped off a cliff in terms of popularity on github/stackoverflow

It's already a thing!

doesn't even have GC yet does it?

it's got a lot of the quarky shell script like bullshit syntax without actually being as shit as shell scripting.

I'm not giving you six reasons though faggot.

this is so wrong it's almost painful.

I lol'd when you mentioned spring aids in 2017 though.

looks like xml beans never panned out looking at this springboot shit. lol.

you shouldn't desu
dead language

cloned an example springboot webapp.

loling traversing these annotations.

at least annotations are less cancerous than XML bean bullshit.
I will give the Spring cucks that much.

Nice spoiler tags. Retard.

What is the job market like for Ruby? I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't Rails and even rails is senior level only.

some meme companies still use it.
some depts at larger firms are probably still using it.

Hashicorp is a meme example.
I've seen larger insurance firms like Travelers and Cigna use it.

you gotta go out of your way to find them though.

Honestly DHH isn't that bad compared to the rest of the ruby community.

>find some ruby podcast once
>4 guys in conversation
>1 sounds weird as fuck
>look him up
>it's this mentally ill faggot

In their defense he was kicked off after a year for being an annoying retard who kept trying to plug SJW shit into the show.

Still, you can't go to a ruby meetup without half the 'girls' having a Y-chromosome.

>it's easy to build it from source, just don't build it from source
are you actually retarded?

There are very few jobs that demand it, but the ones that do pay a SHITLOAD of money because nobody knows Ruby.

It's kind of like how nobody needs COBOL developers anymore except a few places, and if you manage to land one of those jobs you will get paid beaucoup bucks

Metasploit
Puppet
Chef
Github's backend
Massively popular at AWS

None of these are (necessarily) rails, but all are ruby (or leverage it heavily).

That's just the fotm crowd that switched from rails to node.

>there are actually people that are this fucking dumb

Ruby sempai, what is the best book for learning ruby?

Fuck ruby, and it's unclear license.
Python and C is all you need.

Improve your reading comprehension. There are two statements in there. The first is that you don't need to learn those technologies to build things from source, you only need to run the commands. Seriously, every decent project comes with instructions for which commands to use to build it. The second statement is that you probably don't need to build them from source, and should just use the fucking package manager.

Eh, I was a fan of _Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby, but it's unfinished, and gaining age. I've heard the Pickaxe Book is pretty good.

It's GPL compatible, so just use it like you would a GPL program.

why was MSF written in metasploit? is it for a specific functional reason or just because

isn't that every "modern" webdev language though

improve your critical thinking. if you need to build from source then it's probably because the project doesn't just work by using the package manager.

>you only need to run the commands
>every decent project comes with instructions
and as soon as you run into a project that doesn't come with build instructions you need to learn what commands to run. which means you need to learn the tools. do I really need to fucking spell it out for you?

Not him, but I'm reading The Well-Grounded Rubyist, seems pretty good to me.

If you are running into a project that neither can be installed via your package manager nor comes with any instructions, ask yourself, "do I really need to use this?" The answer is probably no. If the answer is yes for some reason, well, the only command you need to build something that has a Rakefile is just "rake". From the perspective of using it, rather than editing the build sources, it's really just a one letter difference in the command.

Do you work with Ruby for a living?

I wish I knew what questions to ask because I'm a beginner trying to learn my first language and it's hard to run across a ruby pro. So I guess I'm going to default to some basic questions if you don't mind.

What are some good first projects to attempt when learning a language? Both to learn programming skills and to impress hiring managers?

Why does everyone use a fucking Mac with this language? Everyone tries everything in their power to say that Ruby development is shit on Windows and basically say it you'll only run into problems on windows.

If you had to learn it all over again, how would you do it? Read books? Projects? What resources?

Sorry to bother you with these questions but I need guidance.

jesus christ I really do need to spell it out for you.

sometimes people have to work with projects that aren't very good. maybe it's a niche need or maybe it's part of their job. the reason doesn't really matter because the end result is that they need to use it. those shitty projects sometimes don't install smoothly and require a bit of work to set up. like, for example, it was created for a different version of ruby than is already installed. so running rake (which you know about because you learned the build system) doesn't work. and now you need to work with a version manager and bundler.

I mean seriously, look at this shit:
sitepoint.com/ruby-ecosystem-new-rubyists/

python bro