/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/JiXZ2f0t

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/222411885440,
ktgee.net/post/49423737148/thinkpad-guide
ebay.com/itm/for-IBM-Thankpad-SK-8845-travel-USB-standard-keyboard-Trackpoint-Hidden-Line-US-/182463315172
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TrackPoint
support.lenovo.com/ro/en/solutions/hf004122
github.com/Bizzaro/x230-osx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

redpill me on the dell e6440.

apparently, it's the only haswell business laptop with a socketed cpu and newer versions can use a fhd ips panels.

is it the secret goat? considering the x40 and x50 series were trash

>apparently, it's the only haswell business laptop with a socketed cpu
>what is the T440p

t450 or t440?

the lenovo *40 series were garbage

You are doing it wrong.

Is there a screen larger than 1280x800 that will work an an x200?

x200s came in 1440x900 i believe

True. I think you can transfer tthe panel to a regular X200

user with a broken X220 screen lid from a couple threads ago here.

I tried glue, left it for a day like the glue instructions say, now I tried opening the lid "normally" without being particularly careful or gentle and immediately the glued joint snapped. So looks like I'll have to replace the entire lid cover.

What are the options for a UK-fag to get a cheap part? It's literally a piece of plastic and goes on ebay for 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of an entire laptop. Are there other outlets where I can hunt around?

Then there's this guy: ebay.com/itm/222411885440, which is 8 times cheaper than literally everything else. With shipping it's still over 2x cheaper, but the huge price difference between that and every other listing makes me wary. Any advice? This lid is driving me nuts.

that listing is a skin for the lid cover, not the lid cover itself

Which Thinkpads from this guide:
ktgee.net/post/49423737148/thinkpad-guide
have a soldered CPU? I want to avoid them.

any x series
T440
T540
T550
t410s
t420s
t430s (pretty much any with the s suffix)

So you have better battery life but higher CPU temperature with the X series?

Apparently I am unable to read. Thanks user.

So does that mean I will have to shell out £40 to get a proper sturdy lid that doesn't flex for miles whenever I open it?
Surely there are some options. Is it possible to purchase the part from Lenovo or something?

How long can you even upgrade the CPUs? What's the point in going for specifically for a socketed CPU when you can only upgrade once? Unless I'm wrong of course, I don't think you can just keep upgrading it.

Will I need anything extra to make it work, or should the screen just work the same?

I am new, pls no bully

I was more worried about heat issues than upgrading the laptop, desu.

They're expensive as believe it or not they are actually made from a soft touch coated magnesium. Try have a look on the Chinese market like on aliexpress i've found cheap new parts on there.

its not really worth upgrading the cpu unless you are going from a dual to quad core and are taking advantage of the extra threads.

you can always drop a quadcore i7 which should be as fast as any modern mobile i7in single threaded applications and much faster in multi, and might compete with some i5s.

is this a meme?

yes

The older ones are pretty good apparently. I wanted to get the T420 looking one, but they sell for over $100 on ebay so i got a RT3200 instead.

I guess, so its more of a revival of an older machine more than a continuous upgrade path. Even a T430's CPU isn't bad right now, so this would ensure some future proofing. What about BIOS issues and shit like graphics drivers and whatnot for the iGPU?

I heard they were flimsy and generally pretty shit. Its too thin to give a satisfying THUNK of a keystroke, flexes and its just generally shit.

No. If the CPU is the same model battery life is exactly the same except when you're using the slice battery.

How well does the trackpoint work on those?

Dell keyboards and trackpoints are shit.

Swap in the newer *50 trackpads and the machine is fixed.

ebay.com/itm/for-IBM-Thankpad-SK-8845-travel-USB-standard-keyboard-Trackpoint-Hidden-Line-US-/182463315172

Very well. It works normally in windows and macos but requires some fixes for Linux.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TrackPoint

>installed t460 this weekend
Was considering a t460s first but I regret nothing. It's a lot lighter and thinner than I imagined, and the battery lifetime is good (and it has a hot swappable battery). It only has 8 GB RAM though and I use a lot of memory intensive software so probably gonna add a second stick for 60 bucks and go dual channel 16gb meme

>gonna add a second stick for 60 bucks
>not jewing the warranty for free parts

yesterday my x60 shut off the instant i unplugged the power cable. Re-seating the battery fixed this, but what the hell happened??

>jewing the warranty for free parts
I'm listening

>phone up Lenovo complaining that laptop is fucked
>say you ran memtest, did diagnosis and the RAM is fucked
>they send out a new 8GB SODIMM to you to fit (it's a customer replaceable part, like keyboard/PSU etc)

They do that? "Hey my ram is broken, I checked it yep def broken. Ok here is new ram"

What if they want some sort of proof? Or if they tell me they'll send someone?

>for IBM Thankpad

Really made me thunk

Yeah, I've got spare keyboards and power supplies from them in the past.

I just said I did a lot of diagnosis and they sent out the part. They won't send out a tech for a fucking ram swap

>I'm listening
support.lenovo.com/ro/en/solutions/hf004122

Damn I'm gonna try. I can always call them and if they want me to bring it in I'll just hand up the phone

>if they want me to bring it in I'll just hand up the phone

No, just say I can't be without my laptop as I've got important work/deadline due, send out the RAM as it's a CRU.

>install mSATA SSD
>rip out WWAN card
>the two antenna cables are just hanging there sadly
>wrap the connectors in scotch tape to ensure they don't stick somewhere they shouldn't and short something

Is this a good long-term solution or should I stop being a pussy and remove the cables entirely?

>spent 30 minutes putting in 9 cell battery serials on ebay
>strike it lucky
>then change one digit in the serial number to get another one as well

>I can't be without my laptop as I've got important work/deadline due
But the RAM is fucked how can I use it for work

they are pretty much insulated in that same way from factory lol except they use heatshrink

read my post again user, if they suggest depot service, tell them to send out the part as you can't wait a week for your laptop to get back to you

It's fine. Don't let it trigger your autism/OCD

Alright I'm gonna try it Monday. But if they get suspicious idk. Need to read into this memtest first and see what a bad result looks like

Btw I found this on their website seems I am screwed if they require the other ram back

You may be required to return the defective part that is replaced by the CRU. When return is required:
Return instructions, a prepaid shipping label, and a container will be included with the replacement CRU; and
You may be charged for the replacement CRU if Lenovo does not receive the defective part within thirty (30) days of your receipt of the replacement CRU. See your Lenovo Limited Warranty documentation for full details

Heck. Alrighty, I'll check there.

In the meantime, anyone have hardware advice on other possible solutions? I know some of you probably hate me and my lid by now, but I want to try out various options to see if something works before committing on completely replacing the part. Would something like epoxy hold better? Or can I DIY some sort of solution to stick the two bits together?

In pic related you can clearly see the gray nub next to the red cable, showing the break area in the vertical black bit that is supposed to connect the top and main parts of the cover lid.

At this point since, if I fail, I'm going to be replacing the part anyway, I'm game for almost any modification.

Going to college for business next year, sell me on the X1 Carbon over an XPS 15.

Option 1: buy RAM
>have to pay

Option 2: jew Lenovo
>will likely get it for free
>there's a chance they'll require it back, in which case you don't send it and pay

In other words:
>always pay
vs
>probably don't pay

The only downsides to the second option can happen if you find some super-cheap deal elsewhere, or Lenovo is a huge jew that will overcharge you just because they can. Cheap RAM is likely to also be crappy RAM, so the only thin you really have to worry about is Lenovo telling you that your replacement ram is actually worth double market value because they said so and asking you to pay up.

If they get suspicious don't answer them and buy RAM.

Does anyone have any picture comparisons or videos comparing the 1366x768 screen and the 1600x900 screen for the T420? Is there a noticeable improvement in color?

>Is there a noticeable improvement in color?
no

Someone of craigslist is selling a IBM ThinkPad R60 9456 (Core Duo 1.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD) for $25.

I'm thinking it'd be fun to have around to play with. My question: How customizable is that model? Would I be able to still find parts, or possibly find a way to upgrade the ram/cpu/etc.?

Anyone had any trouble getting decent replacement parts? I've tried replacing a loose power connector on my x220 twice now, and both times the replacement has shorted and started sparking on me. Any advice for finding a decent replacement?

>run on close to full load for about 5 minutes
>max temps for my 2 cores: 98 and 97

I'm assuming that's not normal? Should I fuck about with thermal paste or something? Or should I just not try to play vidya on a 7 year old ultraportable business laptop

disable turbo boost
i
s
a
b
l
e

t
u
r
b
o

b
o
o
s
t

just tried it for 30 mins too, no luck.
fuck

Ive had more luck with the UK eBay for some reason.

Wait what do I do? I'm tired but I want a free battery, can someone please tl;dr me

what model?

When is the anniversary Thinkpad coming out?

X220

Anyone here OS X?

Never. Seriously. It was just an idea by Lenovo but they'll never do it. Its not needed anyway, when you already have the original thing, the OG ThinkPads, you don't need to wait for Lenovo to sell a 'retro' looking one. Its not even about the looks, it'll probably look similar, but with no structural similarities because those are just too expensive to implement these days.

How do I tell if I have a TN or IPS panel? I tried going to the product page on ebay, but not able to view the details the seller put out.

Look at your screen from an angle

I really hope you don't mean for a laptop you have. If its not listed just message the seller and ask them.

Yes
T420
It just werks
Except the SD card reader

It's IPS, thanks

>It just werks
lmao not really

I have had less issues with it shitting itself then i did with Ubuntu.
But you dont care, you are just here to make memes and jerk yourself off over "lul macs suck."

Wifi works fine or do you have to use usb?

You can mod the BIOS and get a cheap compatible card for it to work, but i had a usb one lying around from an old Pi project.

that's not a mac m8

i thought you could do it only on the x220 and not the x230?

god damn it I even found a couple of local ads having the shipping date within the required time period and still doesnt work.
I give up, fuck it.

If by structure you mean simply being solidly built, then the subframe and rest of the chassis shouldn't be too hard to replicate, they already get most of them made to order, it'd just come down to a higher per-unit cost. The biggest problems will be shit like a 4:3 screen and the classic keyboard if they wanted to go with it. I'm not aware of any appropriate 4:3 panels being made, the best would probably be 3:2 or something similar but even then that would be at fairly small sizes.

Has anyone used a ThinkPenguin network card instead of their Intel on? My nonfree one is giving me problem.

github.com/Bizzaro/x230-osx

Do you have to prove that you own it? Or is the serial good enough?

I found this battery (israeli seller), but it looks like an order has already been submitted for its serial. Makes me think the guy got a free replacement, and is selling the old one, or you can grab the serial of any random ebay battery and get a free one based on that.

>Makes me think the guy got a free replacement, and is selling the old one
well, he is israeli.

T420/X220 vs T430/x230

Which ones have the better keyboards?

Its literally pure personal preference and nothing more.

So i should get one of the newest models then?

>Its literally pure personal preference and nothing more.

I don't fucking know, the only real difference is that the new ones can be backlit.

A spastic right on cue, keyboard layouts and 'feel' are subjective things. Both keyboards to me are fine and I don't mind the lack of backlit keys because my ThinkPad has the ThinkLight.

Thinking of storage upgrades, should one go with a small M.2 SDD for important programs and operating system and a large hard drive? Or just go for an SSD?

My x220 is the best purchase I've ever made. Only had it a day but I love it. Thanks niggers.

i glued my palmrest together using a glue for shoes. it holds quite well. i will post it here later if i find the exact thing i used, so lurk from time to time. you could weld it as well.

mSata, not .2
My bad

I'm considering buying a laptop.

Tell me more about it if you want please. what are the pros and cons?

yes

*30 series have some mild performance advantages (the only one that's actually noticeable is graphics though) and minor shit like USB3, but are a little more expensive. Up to you if you think you'll actually see your money's worth in the price difference.

If you are completely new to ThinkPads, honestly there is really no difference.

A lot of new ThinkPad users will like either keyboard and not care about the layout.
Some will like the T430/X230 having a backlit keyboard.
But i DID notice that the backlit keyboard isn't as great as the standard one. There are some subtle differences, I am too used to the texture on nonbacklit thinkpads, the backlit keyboard has a smooth surface and slightly worse key travel because of it.
Which to me, I really don't think is much different than the T420/X220

With this all being said, it really depends on what you just like.

Having used W500, T400, T500, Z-Series and T60p, T61, R61 in all their different form factors... out of them all, I loved the 14" 16:10 R61, something about its slightly thicker base just made it a perfect machine to type on. And this is me trying out alps, NMB and chicony keyboards. I would still prefer the R61.

Only had it a day keep in mind but my first impressions were good. It feels strong and is built like a tank without a doubt. The actual casing in nice too. All the pictures I saw made it look really plasticy but it's not really. The casing feels nice. This thing is maximum comfy. The trackpoint is the best. I was unsure at first but I can't imagine using anything else anymore. I fucking love it. The fact that it's so cheap is also amazing. I jewed myself out of 250 for mine just because I didn't wan to go through too much setting up and shit and I wanted something to replace my macbook air I sold asap. I could have probably gotten one together for 200 looking at all the listings.

As for the cons, there aren't that many... The speakers are shit. They get the job done if you want speakers but they're shit. The computer requires you to become at least mildly technically competent in order to maximize your experience which is good I think but not for everyone. Somepeople just want something they can buy and be done. This isn't really for those types I don't think. I haven't begun researching how to install linux or anything and I still have to clean the fucking thing but I'm real happy.