/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC, BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List which GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify if goal is to lower price or improve specs.
Put effort into your queries to make yourself easy to help.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 aren't worthwhile, unless for highly single threaded tasks. e.g. dwarf fortress & emulators
>i5 aren't worthwhile. No exceptions. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to i7
>i7-7700k is good but pricey. If over budget, consider 6700k and/or a locked motherboard + cheaper cooler; not chasing 4.8Ghz capable when you weren't gonna overclock - or get Ryzen 5/7
>R7 for compute & multitask workstations

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470, RX480 8GB, R9 Fury, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 480 if same/cheaper in your country, or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over any card weaker than an RX470, unless another's price/performance is better (ie discounted/used)
>RX500 comes April 18th. Vega in May

General:
>Don't feel bound to a specific brand/model. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help here
>Consider SSD only for what you budgeted on SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity
>Save money with mATX case/mobo, and if patient by purchasing your parts individually in flash sales

If you see another build advice thread, direct them here with

Other urls found in this thread:

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wsLPNN
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>NVMe aren't worth it just for faster OS boot. They're primarily for quicker loading/saving of files for productivity
Consider RAID 0 in place of it if you can get two (cheap) SSD's cheaper for a larger storage size. Pic related Kingston U400
While SSD is fast alone, you will notice a fair difference. Especially in load screens and thumbnail generations should you be an avid shitposter.
Samsung SSD's are fine without RAID 0.
>but if one dies I'll lose all my data
user if a SSD dies you're losing data anyways. Yes it is more likely to happen with RAID 0 because of probability. Not the RAID itself.

Note* My 4k reads/writes are low from using a lower stripping size(size of data block set when making the array). 4K is more useful for video editing.

Jesus, advising the average /pcbg/ poster to try RAID. You sadistic bastard.

But why get a Kingston UV400 when the MX300 525gb is cheaper than the Kingston 480GB?

And when it comes to keeping you data, do automated backups.

NVMe can also make a nice scratch disk. They tend to have longer endurance in addition to greater speeds.
Note that the total TBW endurance listed is for the memory itself, but controllers can die faster. 400TBW is still a lot, though.

For the people that switched to water cooling, were/are you paranoid about leaks? Have you gotten some kind of insurance plan for your hardware or are you just hoping for the best?

>they tend to have longer endurance
t. your anus.

Average /pcbg/ poster here, what're the benefits to RAID besides having a unified Drive comprised of multiple smaller ones? Is it healthier for all the the involved drives? What is actually orchestrating the multiple drives?

Can I just ghetto rig a PC case? Like just screw the motherboard onto a wood panel and put a cardboard box over it or some shit?

don't be jealous that I've had more tongues in my anus than you

Is a GeForce 610 okay if I don't care about any game more intensive than Minesweeper?

I just want to hook up an extra monitor and do boring desktop stuff on it.

You should have risers still instead of screwing the motherboard in directly against the wood, but yes you can.

because I bought these four months ago. I only stated what drives were used in that image. Not a recommendation.
Feel free to list SSD's with speeds and price however. I've got no clue what's on the market. Just throwing in my two cents.
Not too hard, and if you fail you still have two SSD's.
There's many types of RAID arrays.
RAID 0 is for speed. The rest is faster and has built in safeguards against data loss. But more so for large storage needs where backups of said data would be costly.
>link to Wikipedia.

RAID is "orchestrating" the drives. Your motherboard probably supports it but for heavy use you can get a PCIe RAID controller. Expensive as fuck for a good one though. What do you mean "unified drive"? Like how are you imagining achieving this?

No, please, keep spreading misinformation. It's funny to see plebs fuck up by trusting what they read on 4chin.

I was talking about the Raid 0 setup and what I read seemed like it was just one "mega drive" in terms of the front-end use. Or am I mistaken and you'd actually get 3 disks displayed in the Windows Explorer GUI (for example)?

integrated GPUs are better than that now days.
And motherboards for them tend to have 2-3 video outputs as well.

The benefits for the average normie user are totally negligible and if you don't think it's "too hard" for the average person coming here for advice, you clearly don't come here that often.

Sorry I misread what you posted and thought you meant "as opposed to a unified drive". RAID 0 splits transfers across the two drives effectively doubling the speed so it's good if you GOTTA GO FAST. Other RAID solutions use various combinations of mirroring and striping for redundancy purposes, i.e. one drive out of 4-5 fails and you can just replace it with a brand new one without any data loss.

The people posting are total idiots, I'll grant you that. But you have to realize there more people around than the IP count.
Setting up a RAID array is less than 10 steps. Download a driver should you need it. Put on a USB. Select RAID mode in bios, link the drives together. insert your OS, when it asks for drivers install the one you need. Click next.
Not to mention better we educate the masses, the more people willing to step up and help a novice out.

Setting up RAID is fine but it's not that hard to fuck it up down the track if you have no idea what you're doing or how it actually works.

How so? AFAIK there's no real issues with RAIDing SSD's. I think partitions on HDD RAID arrays are what fucks people over.

So my vidya mobo/cpu are ancient and recently a RAM slot broke, so it's finally time to upgrade. I was thinking of getting the new kaby lakes but apparently they don't work well with Windows 7, and I don't want to part with windows 7.

Any advice for what I should upgrade to? Was thinking of an 15 7600K originally

a 3450 to a 7600k is hardly an upgrade considering that ivy bridge overclocking was only software locked so you could still overclock that to like 75-80% of the 7600k overclocked performance.

I'd say you should just get a 3770 and overclock that assuming your board can do so.

7600k aren't worth buying, anyway. Get the 6700k or just get ryzen and suck up manually downloading updates every couple of months.

What the hell? Posters dropped from 9 to 8 after an apparently new person posted.

is windows 7 still better than windows 10?

im building my first pc and i noticed 7 is 3 times cheaper. whichever i choose does it affect playing games at all?

Google removed a toxic comment.

it depends on what you need for your system.

If you pay for Windows you're probably new. If you pay full price for Windows you're definitely retarded. Get Windows 10 if you want latest support and to play lots of new games.

3 times cheaper?
You can get Windows 10 for about $25.

And I don't know. Windows 10 is technically better, but you have to remove a lot of stuff and disable a lot of services and reskin it and blah blah.
Windows 7 is "comfy".

You could also stop being a fag and instead Linux, and just run Windows 10 through a VM so you hardly ever have to deal with it.

As someone who doesn't really game should it be fine to put everything into the CPU. As in with a budget of around $600 or so, put everything into a 7700k config.

See in the OP where it says "i5 aren't worthwhile. No exceptions." Maybe Google the words "worthwhile" and "no exceptions"?

It's fine but what are you planning on doing to utilize that performance if you don't play muh games?

>Have you gotten some kind of insurance plan for your hardware or are you just hoping for the best?
AIO coolers have a built in warranty, assuming you're not in a Jewd country. Should they fail, the company has to replace damaged hardware.
>just hoping for the best?
Kinda. AIO makers don't want to have failures resulting in hardware damage they have to pay for. So they build them tough.

Custom loops are a different issue. Hose connectors have never really been totally reliable anywhere(t. trades man). But it it doesn't leak in the first 6 hours chances are you're good. As always never power on a PC with a freshly installed loop. Run the pumps without the system on for a testing period, normally overnight with paper towels at all connections.

Why not get a 6700k or a locked 7700?
Or Ryzen for that matter. A 1700 is pretty cheap since it comes with a cooler and you can find sales.

If you have an old graphics card laying around, you can get 1700+motherboard+ram+case+psu+drives for under $600, for sure. Especially if you live near a Microcenter.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wsLPNN

hey guys, 1st time building pc here. this is what i have to work with. not sure if the expensive motherboard is necessary.. is it?

i plan to overclock the CPU to work as well as i7 6700k. easy ..right?

>You can get Windows 10 for about $25.
Where?

Even getting the cheapest shit for everything and a 1TB Blue HDD, I doubt you'd manage that without waiting for sales.

READ THE FUCKING OP REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The problem with 7 is that it just isnt compatible with modern hardware. Intel specifically makes it very difficult for users to use Win 7 on their newest chipsets (in my case Skylake). I know because I tried using 7 for months and months and received constant blue screens. Finally I upgraded to 10 just to try it and...it works flawlessly. This is just anecdotal experience I guess but this actually happened to me for a very long time.

That's not how overclocking works. i5s are garbage option right now.

Yes you'd need an "expensive" motherboard if you want to overclock.

Development in general. Reason I was aiming a bit high is for virtual machines
I had chosen that as an example mostly. I was just wondering if that kind of configuration would work well for my use case. I hadn't chosen the specific high end cpu.

If you use VMs enough, get an 8 core Ryzen for sure and spend to get 16GB of good memory and SSD(s).

To clarify, I'm also wondering if I'd have problems with dual 1440p monitors (where my budget is going lmao. Hope im not being retarded) without a dedicated gpu. Nothing graphics intensive except for watching videos sometimes.

How do VMs fare for gaming?

There's quite a few places that seem to sell the 1700 for $30-$50 off, though.
Maybe they've all expired idk.

There's other sales like those newegg giftcards, though they're gone now.

A Ryzen 5 1600 and a used

lol

Set up properly, it's often only a 1-5% performance loss.

Which makes the 1700 really nice since you can have one person running the "desktop" on 4c/8t, then the other 4c/8t a VM that is streamed to a portable device for much better gaming performance on an ultrabook, tv, or whatever else.

where do you get windows 10 cheap?

I heard ryzen has some strange IOMMU groups that made passthough diffiult

>GPU-passtrough?
Possible improvement in performance, or a small hit to performance depending on how you configure your settings, how you configure WINBLOWS and your specs.
>VM with no GPU-passtrough?
Only good for light ~ below medium gaming

I asked this last thread but only response was someone else asking the same thing to no answer.

I wanna get a new mousepad to go with my new computer. Using it for gaming and /3/ shit.
Any tips to it or just get whatever?
Is wristgel just a meme or worth it?

Draw your hand and mouse positioning on a mousepad, if you're holding your hand tilted or in a bad way, it could cause damage more than it could fix.

Just get the OG $1 pad.

Someone will make a patch for them.
And there is one manufacturer that makes boards with proper IOMMU groupings. ASRock, I think?

Why don't you get your
>pic related
one?
Wristgel is okay. But it's better to have a chair with arm rests level with your mouse instead.

Second "incorrect" position, but not as extreme an angle on the wrist.
Don't twist it right or left too much, but I do usually have my elbow low and arm fairly limp when working (I think it's a bit more like the "correct" position when I get into a game.

My wrist is usually pressing on the edge of my desk, hence why I'm considering wristgel, but wasn't sure if it'd be worthwhile.

just found that pic on google images. Thought it'd get attention more than just a plain post. I don't think I'd have the balls to get a real boob pad.

>better to have a chair with arm rests
lol. No it's not, you'll just end up leaning all day fucking up your posture.

t, no arm resting guy.

Pardon the cum dump (Kayla Paige)

So I don't currently have a video card, I'm using the integrated GPU in my 6600k, I was waiting on the release of the 1080 TI before I made up my mind, to either get a TI or a vanilla 1080.

I can't make up my mind to either pick up a FTW3, a TI FE or a custom 1080. The only really limiting factor is I have to get it through amazon, I have a bunch of gift cards.

I am thinking about trading my 4670k straight up for a 4430.
I want VT-d and intel jewed the early Haswell K users by disabling it.

How much of a hit in performance are we talking? I didnt ever overclock it

Wait, why would they do that. My ivy bridge laptop has vt-d

i've been putting it up my butt this whole time

As long as you use a Type-1 Hypervisor that allows PCIe passthrough, you're golden. If you have an overclockable CPU, I'd recommend bumping the frequency by 10% as well as the GPU's core frequency to offset any losses from virtualization.

Why not swap it for a 4790K? The refreshed Devil's Canyon all have VT-d enabled.

To upsell you the Devils Canyon CPUs.

By swap, I mean I actually know someone IRL who would do it.
Im trying to decide if I want to deal with buying used and reselling it

Only get the TI reference if you enjoy ear rape/burning to death.

>why not swap it for a significantly more expensive model

But can you actually run everything? I'm more worried about actually being able to run all my gaymes than losing 5fps.

>why would they do that
Did you not fucking read?
>Because they're FUCKING JEWS.
Having i7s with vt-d would cut into Xeon sales of CPUs that are virtually identical but almost twice the cost.

Anyway, just go Ryzen and use AMD-Vi.

idk what you're asking us. Are you looking for financial domination?

I'm asking if I should get a 1080 or a 1080 TI.

Not only did they cut VT-d they screwed up their TIMs and they overclocked like dogshit.

Haswell was a mistake

why?
how can we help?

I found some 4790Ks used for $250. As long as you buy them from reputable sellers with demonstrations of the product working, it's fine.

I haven't heard of any significant problems with APIs and drivers inside virtualized environments. VMWare and Citrix usually are on top with their support for graphics cards and drivers, since a lot of places have moved onto virtualized workstations. Remember, the PCI passthrough means that the virtualized system has "native" access to the device, so the drivers for the graphics card are actually for the Hypervisor itself, not the physical machine.

>people here actually jerk off to 3DPD

god, how pathetic

save a lot of money and get an r9 fury

haswell refresh restored vt-d to 4790k and 4690k

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Anyone know the availability date for the Asus strix rog 1080ti in the Netherlands? Got one on pre-order, but the supplier store is clueless when they might get a shipment.

>What would you do if you were in my shoes?
give all that money to the cutest trap on twitch, I guess

Where did you guys buy your windows key?

Just build my first pc, pic related. Anyone know why it's saying only 4GBs for the GPU instead of 8? Is that just a fuck up in speccy or did something go wrong

don't worry, user. The human eye can't see past 3.5Gb.

7700k + 1060 6GB

or

??? + RX 480 8GB?

I'm not buying anything Ryzen, too new for my tastes

I bought Win7 Pro OEM like 8 or 9 years ago on Newegg

the honesty made me chuckle. . .

I thought Kaby required win 10?

Maybe they claimed that to try to trick people into getting 10, but it's working fine with 8

why must the 7700k be paired with the 1060? The RX480 is much better price-performance.

>I'm not buying anything Ryzen, too new for my tastes
hipsters are trash

I thought OEM keys were locked to a certain hardware

Supposedly some features will require W10, and earlier versions of Windows won't be supported after this year I believe, but won't be supported isn't really the same as won't work.

It's not a hipster thing, it's a "anything new I've bought has problems" thing. So I just wait a little while until enough people seem to use it fine (RX 480) until I adopt it.

The 7700k doesn't have to be paired with the 1060. I just don't know what I'm doing with the CPU so I just picked one of the best I knew. I don't plan on overclocking and some of these more expensive ones seem like they really need a cooler.

It was actually a "system builder" edition but it's basically OEM. But yeah they were locked to your motherboard. Whenever I upgraded my motherboard I just called MS. You exchange a sequence of numbers which you type into the activation screen.

Now with Windows 10 your key is linked to your MS account so none of that matters anymore.

The fuck are you faggots talking about?

The only thing that happens on Win7 with Kabylake and Ryzen is that windows update won't work so you have to download updates manually.

Stop spreading lies, faggots.

Ryzen has been the smoothest launch of a new platform and arch that I've seen, and I've been building PC's since '01.
But fair enough. If you don't plan to upgrade the CPU in over half a decade, there's no reason not to buy an EoL platform.

>Stop spreading lies, faggots

I'm assuming you clicked the wrong person and meant to reply that to the W10 only with kaby lake person

Is there a downside to having your PSU on the bottom of your case? I'm looking at these Fractal Design cases and while I like the look, some of the layout stuff isn't what I'm used to.

It usually means wasted space at the bottom-middle and bottom-front of your case.
Most people will never install enough hard drives to make up for the extra space there, and there's more optimal ways to make space for more harddrives.
Usually the only optimal use of that space is custom loop water-cooling. But water cooling fits into other layouts just fine.

Bottom mount PSU has come to be expected and is just a meme at this point. Market expectations drive cases to use that layout.
It originally started because the PSU is the most heat-sensitive part of the case, and traditional layouts had them sucking in hot air, lowering efficiency. But simply turning them so they suck in air from an opening in the top or side fixes that.

Could you recommend me a good ATX case with a window, room for an optical bay, and decent airflow (preferably with pre-installed fans)?

I like the look of the Fractal Design Define R5 but it seems huge and the window isn't the full length of the panel. Something like the C or S without the lack of optical bay and a few more internal slots would be perfect.

eBay.

I like Fractal Design R5 case but it's pretty expensive. Is there another case like it with it's sleek, minimal design and noise dampening capabilities but cheaper? Also, white and windowed is a plus.

hey buddy how about you stop copying me, mmk?

When you guys upgrade, what do you do with the parts that you're replacing? Do you keep them around in case anything breaks? Do you sell them? Do you just toss them out?

Yeah doubling the speed of a Samsung 960 NVMe SSD is best for what…benchmarking basically?

Not to mention the fact that those two M.2 shits basically cut out either 2 SATA ports and a ×4 PCIe 3.0 slot or else 4 SATA ports.