/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

furiffic.com/pouar/view/36677
furiffic.com/pouar
e621.net/post/index/1/kde
archwomen.org/
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Local_copy_of_boycottsystemd.org_archive
developer.spotify.com/web-api/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

SAY SOMETHING NICE ABOUT ARCH

first for ________

Last-ditch effort at fixing this, thanks for the attempt at help at least, brothers.

What's the alternative to OneNote on GNU/Linux?

>That guy made it
It's a thing
furiffic.com/pouar/view/36677

furiffic.com/pouar

e621.net/post/index/1/kde

I like that Arch is about equality.
archwomen.org/

>furiffic.com/pouar/view/36677
furry gas chambers when

OMG, this is so unprofessional. Why do they allow this?

is there any distro that has maintainers that aren't corporations, incompetent idiots or SJWs at this point?

KEK

What the fuck? I've been leaning towards Arch lately mainly because I didn't think they pushed this garbage. Fuck this and fuck the furry shit.

That's not even official, nigger. Just some bitches went on and did it, and got shit to no end because of it on the Archforums

>DELET

I never want to touch Arch again.

ITS UNOFFICIAL

>89 KB
>133 KB

What are you DOING, can you even call yourself an Arch user with all that bloat?

Shit on Arch the system as much as you like, if you have to. But the devs aren't fucking sjws

any proof?

Hey Sup Forums.
I'm upgrading my disk for more space, so decided to try new distribution.
ubuntu vs debian?
What I don't like about ubuntu - canonical
What I like about it - large community, out of the box stuff (like ubuntu-make)

What I don't like about debian - old packages
What I like about debian - not canonical, ???

I don't care about tinkering with my OS (anymore), just want to get the job done.

>can you even call yourself an Arch user with all that bloat?
That's the Arch way. Don't split packages or waste you time with any nonsense debloating. Keep it simple stupid.

Please show where they denounced archwomen.org/

Debian and old packages is a fake news meme.

If you want the newest packages with debian, use debian testing (less secure) or sid (rolling, packages updated as soon as there are changes).

if arch linux is about simplicity, why does it use systemd?

Not for stable and testing and unstable are a mess. Arch is more stable than Debian testing. Debian has noticeable bugs in testing.

Lazy devs. Arch is not about simplicity rather than convenience since years.

systemd is simpler

>arch
>stable
nice meme

Just enable backports for newer packages on stable.

Systemd actually simplifies a traditional setup in many ways. Since systemd components share a common code base, they tend to share much more code for common code paths. Here's an example: in a traditional Linux setup, sysvinit, start-stop-daemon, inetd, cron, dbus, all implemented its own scheme to execute processes with various configuration options in a certain, hopefully clean environment. On systemd the code paths for all of this, for the configuration parsing, as well as the actual execution is shared. This means less code, less place for mistakes, less memory and cache pressure. systemd is also pretty modular. You can choose at build time which components you need, and which you don't need. People can hence specifically choose the level of "bloat" they want.

t. someone who has never ran arch

"simplicity" means simple for the devs, not for the users.

Arch isn't minimalist.

"It has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible."

"It has also never been a distribution offering much user freedom / choice compared to Gentoo and even Debian. There are very few cases where there are multiple packages offering different configurations of the same project. There's no equivalent to update-alternatives or the comparable uses of USE flags. Changing /bin/sh from Bash will be broken, as will changing the python symlink to point to python2 instead of python3 even though this works on some other distributions. It doesn't strive to offer choices like this, and never has."

"Arch is the opposite of a user-centric freedom. The opinion of users has no weight here. Only the developers have an opinion, and there aren't voting systems as there are in Debian. Technical decisions are made based on merit via consensus among the developers, not popularity."

"Arch has never been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc."

"It has always used significantly more disk space and a measurable amount of additional memory than Debian and especially Gentoo as a consequence of keeping things simple (again, from a development perspective)."

"Memes about minimalism and user freedom != actual distribution policy / principles / history."

>t. arch wiki admin
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

Since systemd was first proposed it has been frequently discussed in many forums, mailing lists and conferences. In these discussions one can often hear certain myths about systemd, that are repeated over and over again, but certainly don't gain any truth by constant repetition. Let's take the time to debunk a couple of them:

Myth: systemd is monolithic.

If you build systemd with all configuration options enabled you will build 69 individual binaries. These binaries all serve different tasks, and are neatly separated. Many of these binaries are separated out so nicely, that they are very useful outside of systemd. A package involving 69 individual binaries can hardly be called monolithic.

Myth: systemd is not UNIX.

There's certainly some truth in that. systemd's sources do not contain a single line of code originating from original UNIX. However it derives inspiration from UNIX. In fact the design of systemd as a suite of integrated tools that each have their individual purposes but when used together are more than just the sum of the parts, that's pretty much at the core of UNIX philosophy.

So would it be better choice like manjaro, instead of debian or ubuntu?
Would manjaro be stable enough compared to ubuntu or debian? (I am now on arch, but just don't care about going through all installation process and configuring my OS, done it enough times already)

STOP ADVERTISING ARCH LINUX AS THE PINNACLE OF x86-x64 LINUX DISTROS. It just isn't.

Most Arch Linux users really need to keep their enthusiasm down. It is becoming ridiculous. Arch Linux IS NOT an ideal distribution for desktop and laptop users. PERIOD. Stop proclaiming that every Ubuntu user must undergo a purification ritual, a spiritual journey whose path culminates with installing Arch to achieve "FULL CONTROL". In fact, I have an hard time calling it a distribution at all, other than it has its own repositories and package manager I guess. And a great wiki, I'll give you that.
Arch Linux users have the nasty habit of blaming the user if something goes wrong with his installation, even if all he does is 'sudo pacman -Syu' after a clean install done accordingly with the Arch Wiki. Well, guess again. Arch users need to understand that PACKAGES DEEMED STABLE UPSTREAM DO NOT NECESSARILY TRANSLATE TO BREAKAGE-FREE SYSTEM. How could it be so, if there is no further testing? No QA? Just a stream of packages flowing continuously on top of subsequent kernel versions. Obviously, chances are something is gonna break somewhere.
There is a reason why cycle releases exist. There is a reason why thousands of volunteers donate their time packaging and testing point releases. A particular set of default packages is tested again several case-scenarios to ensure that the aforementioned "STABLE PACKAGES" indeed work together with each other.

Can someone give me a tl;dr about the systemd controverse? Is systemd a botnet?

devuan

They even have a "no code of conduct" policy (see their forums)

GNU/Linux*

here is a quick rundown

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Local_copy_of_boycottsystemd.org_archive

You can't prove a negative, you illiterate faggots. As long as someone is not acting as an SJW, it's just retarded to go around calling them that. Actually requiring that they say anything about is is a total SJW mentality. Adult, non-retarded, busy people will just ignore crap like that.

I know I can do that, but wouldn't it make my debian unstable? More unstable like ubuntu? (I'm tempting to use ubuntu because of that, but really don't want to do anything with canonical)

Pic related

>So would it be better choice like manjaro, instead of debian or ubuntu?
Yes but don't take my word for it, try out all of the distros you're interested in and decide based on your experience. Check out out pamac on Manjaro, make sure you go into preferences and switch on AUR support.

Slackware

Manjaro seems really relevant all of a sudden

It's all memes.

Debian is the only good desktop GNU/Linux distro desu.

It's the best linux distro
for like RPis and shit...

What is the best distro for programming?

literally any

Any reason for using Xfce over MATE? I'm more of a KDE guy, but from what I have read, MATE is just as light, while fully supporting GTK 3 and not screen tearing like crazy with default settings.

macOS

GNU/Linux*

>le screen tearing meme

please go and use MATE.

>Any reason
Personal preference. MATE has the comfy Gnome 2 feel. Xfce has a comfy mouse in the background.

There's no tearing problem. Xfce just doesn't come with a compositor.

>using a DE because of the wallpaper
>le comfy meme
is this bait?

it doesn't matter
possibly avoid the more freetard distros if you're a java developer because openjdk sucks.

>I know I can do that, but wouldn't it make my debian unstable?
I'm an Arch user of a few years who fell for the copypasta and memes about Debian and I actually installed Debian stretch over Arch thinking that it was going to be a more professional semi rolling distro (comparable package age, split packages, "better policies", etc.). It was a huge dissapointment. It crashed in the first 10 minutes when I was tweaking preferences on an Xfce panel. I installed chromium and found out that they disabled the use of extensions except for the 3 bullshit ones they ship it with. It turns out that Debian likes to take packages and apply retarded patches to everything just because they can. I know it's not necessary because I never had any issues out of Arch, just mostly unpatched vanilla packages working together nicely. It wasn't horrible but it left a bad taste in my mouth for sure, and I was hyped up for the switch too. Big disappointment.

Pic related sounds nice but it's bullshit.

trying to install linux on my pc, i managed to reach the point where it asks if i want to try or install. after i click any of the options my monitor just shows a message saying it goes 'power saving mode' and turns off.

i tried multiple distros (ubuntu, fedora, etc.), and i already managed to make it work on my laptop (full installation and try). notice that i can reach the actual installation menu, asking me if i want to try first or install right away.

apparently libspotify is deprecated and will be kill some time in 2017. What should I use to play spotify from cli/without their shitty client when it gets shut down? I currently use mopidy-spotify+npcmpp.

i have Dell UltraSharp U2715H as monitor btw... had the same problem while installing windows, but i overcame it by just plugging and unplugging the monitor. now NOTHING works.

So recently my laptop has started acting weird.
When I installed ubuntu I followed some tutorial to make everything look like a mac to piss off my flatmate, and just left it kinda looking like that.
Now it's started displaying this weird "border" around every window, and I've no idea how to fix it.
It's probably related to my WM or theme, so if any of you could help me I'd be very grateful.
I guess I have to switch to another WM or something, but I don't mind at all.

slackware will never be corrupted as long as Pat is alive, he has great judgement. He keeps bloated and shitty software that has become the standard on many distros, such as PAM and systemd out of slack. literally the most simple, just working stable distro.

Looks like a driver problem. Did you touch them?

Sorry you don't like mice faggot

looks like your only choice is to utilize the web api... if that even lets you to play music.
developer.spotify.com/web-api/

Possibly. I do recall having trouble with the drivers for my dedicated GPU a couple months ago, but I didn't put much effort into fixing it as I don't run any GPU-heavy tasks anymore.

>Xfce just doesn't come with a compositor.
It does, Xfwm4 has built in compositing. It is bad, but apparently there was a fix recently. Either way, you can turn it off or use hardware options like Intel's TearFree to fix it or use a standalong compositor like Compton.

sudo lspci -v
What module is in use for the gpu?

Google how to enable proprietary drivers and do it. If not install xfce or something and see if it still does it. Just sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop and you can switch to it at your login screen. If it's okay on Xfce uninstall Unity and then reinstall it.

>boot into live session of Ubuntu
>if the problem isn't there, it means you fucked something up
>change theme back to default (best use adwaita, and not even ubuntu's stock theme)
>if that fixes it, you know what to do

I'll give this a shot. Thanks to both of you!

03:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 840M] (rev a2)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. GM108M [GeForce 840M]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 49
Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
Memory at f0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
I/O ports at e000 [size=128]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at f7000000 [disabled] [size=512K]
Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [250] Latency Tolerance Reporting
Capabilities: [258] L1 PM Substates
Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting
Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0001 Rev=1 Len=024
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_375_drm, nvidia_375

Isn't pulseaudio in 14.2 now? Because bluetooth requires it? But still, yes, it is nice because the boat is not rocked unless absolutely necessary.

Thank you kind anons for helping me sort this out :) My laptop lives on, despite literally being held together by nails and tape at this point.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

and a reboot fixed it!

>not using the superior Xfce desktop

>install xubuntu-desktop
>fixed it
>screenshot shows him using Unity

Why do you type commands in which you don't know what they do?
You installed a desktop environment (I assume xubuntu-desktop is a metapackage which pulls in xfce and the xubuntu artwork), which apparently fixed your issues, but you're not even using that new environment. Instead what could have fixed your problem was a regular update which you did.

I'm aware of that. It did however boot with the xubuntu-theme up untill i logged in, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on.
To be completely honest I just want to browse chans without weird bugs, so I'm not gonna fuck around with it anymore.

I do in fact run xfce on my x220i

What are some cool terminal commands?

What's with all the GNOME 3 hate? I haven't used it very much personally, but I was just playing around with a Fedora live distro and it seems pretty okay to me. Better than Unity or KDE anyway. Personally running LXDE currently, but I think Ubuntu transitioning away from Unity will make me take a second look at it eventually.

>hey guys I want to use gnome the way I want to

>gnome3 devs: NO YOU'LL USE IT THE WAY WE WANT YOU TO

sudo pacman -Rsc systemd

>I'm aware of that. It did however boot with the xubuntu-theme up untill i logged in
That's something weird I've noticed. Back when I used to run Ubuntu and I'd install several DEs when I was trying things out they would fuck with each other. I found out that Arch doesn't do that. You can have a dozen different DEs installed and they won't end up fucking with each other.

>he uses arch

>look mom, I'm meme-ing on Sup Forums xD

thanks for the (You)s

serious question, what's wrong with systemd?

nothing, don't let any grandpas tell you otherwise

does too much stuff and touches too many things

kind of like my uncle

is zsh really better than bash or am I falling for another meme?

F I S H
I
S
H

I have no clue why but I installed Infinality and it fixed my DPI problems completely.

Fuck

it's shite

u r shite

no u

I like it more than bash. In the end you can do the same stuff, zsh not reading ~/.inputrc is fucking boring though.

no u

Is there a shell called "shit"? It would fit in with all the shells having "sh" in them.

tmux or screen? which one and why?

tmux

screen is deprecated gnu garbage