Explain me why KDE is not the most popular desktop environment ?

Explain me why KDE is not the most popular desktop environment ?

Fedora KDE is very comfy, works out of the box, easy to use and customize.

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxquestions.org/questions/2016-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-awards-123/desktop-environment-of-the-year-4175596299/
youtube.com/watch?v=WupG-tXatoM
e621.net/post/index/1/kde
furiffic.com/pouar
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Xfce exists

Cinnamon exists

>download kde
>pls login hahaha :^)
nope

It doesn't work.
Come back when it does.

The only reason I switched to KDE is that cute dragon

Crashed every single vm I tried this on.

bloaty nonsense

Openbox exists

It works pretty well for me. I got bored and I tried lxqt for a few days but no KDE Connect so I'm back.

updated every 2 years, ugly

works fine, your toaster is not a computer

> feedback about a test in vm...

Every DE is bloated

We are speaking about DE, not a window manager

Bacause red hat wants gtk and QT is a mess.

>I lie on the internet
nope

>using KDE on the dedicated GNOME distro
why?

this is the main reason

also because it looks like shit.

KDE is very well integrated in the fedora spin and there is no reason to use the shitty KDE neon.

KDE really is a best, but I don't really use most of the features. I barely use multiple workspaces, never mind virtual whatever they call multiple different desktop widget sets.
Cinnamon is pretty enough, and does what I want from a DE.

your mother is bloated

Historic reasons.

KDE uses Qt which at one time use to have a proprietary license.

So GNOME was started and the GTK toolkit originally made by the GIMP developers was selected for it's free license. GNOME would later develop and maintain GTK.

Most distributions chose the free software license desktop over the one built on the proprietary toolkit.

Not the case today anymore. But history.

it's a shitty windows knockoff.

GNOME 3 is an original DE. It doesn't try to be windows.

Yeah and it succeeds in being shit.

Literally impossible to use unless you're half-blind and are unable to notice the constant massive screen tears

Every couple years I try it, but I just haven't really enjoyed using KDE since 4.0.
Far too many knobs on different, disconnected things to tune and get working, and it usually ends up ugly and broken.
Used to live and breathe 3.x, and Trinity was in a rather broken state the last time I tried it.

looks like shit

kde WAS most popular, and gnome was nearly dead when ubuntu came out. People really liked orange/brown theme and gnome became popular. Then ubuntu released kubuntu which was ubuntutards first experience with kde, and it was utter crap.
Thanks buntu.

It's a ugly windows clone, and pretty much all applications worth a damn (with the exception of Krita) uses GTK which is better integrated in Gnome.

With Ubuntu now going back to Gnome, KDE is on suicide watch.

The current state-of-the-art show-off KDE Neon crashes when you try to install it. It's a fucking joke.

Just use a different compositor. Not hard.

>le compton meme

>literally not a meme.

>Fedora KDE
Literally the worst KDE ever.

(you)

>animu
Opinion discarded.

Because in it's current form is pretty ugly. They should invest in some good graphic and UI designers.

Welcome to the anime website. Enjoy your stay, user-kun.

SIGSEGV simulator.

Enjoy your file picker without thumbnails, GNOMElet.

I need lewds of these qts.

>13 years
>13 FUCKING YEARS

That is thanks to the mind set that wrough Kmail and unleashed it on the world.

>Crashes you say? Nuked your entire archive you say? Who cares, we just make shiney shiney!

>13 years
>13 FUCKING YEARS

And yet Gnome is a hundred times more popular than KDE, shows how important file selection with thumbnails really is...

the windows gui is still the best

Agreed. How do I still windows shell in ubuntu?

the software center thingy doesn't work in fedory + kde

>using the smiley with a carat nose

Popularity doesn't make it any less shit though.

a lot of the non-GNOME fedora spins come with retarded shit i noticed

why does KDE need 2 (two) hamburger menus on the desktop?

If you lock widgets the one in the panel goes away.

You can disable them both.

How do you disable the one on the desktop?

LOL, 557 votes, was this poll done on the KDE official forums ?

My bad, that was actually from 2014. Here's the 2016 version.
linuxquestions.org/questions/2016-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-awards-123/desktop-environment-of-the-year-4175596299/

Somewhere in desktop preferences, disable dekstop toolbox or something like that.

youtube.com/watch?v=WupG-tXatoM

Gtk codebase consists of layers upon layers upon layers of cruft, dirty hacks and pure shit nobody, and I mean _nobody_ (including the 2 semi-active developers it has left) can comprehend anymore.

Even Linus fucking Torvalds, a known C++ hater and a competent C programmer, switched his Subsurface project to QT/C++ because he couldn't make sense of the fucking mess Gtk was and found its devs to be insufferable faggots.

Qt is objectively superior in every way: clean code, clean API, active development, more portable, looks better, uses native widgets on different platforms and now that it's fully GPL-ed there's absolutely no reason Gtk shouldn't fucking die already.

Qt is anything but clean code, it's fucking mess, and granted so is GTK, the best way forward would be to create a new GUI toolkit from scratch.

It's also telling that in over a decade of existing, neither of these toolkits have managed to become the de facto standard, the reason is both suck.

looks like shit

*projectile vomits*

>Let's throw away thousands of years worth of man hours just to have same functionality we have today, but have subjectively cleaner code

I agree, kde looks bad out of box. Here's my kde after customizing it.

this

why does the API break EVERY fucking version?

i have NEVER seen a GTK program that didn't fill the terminal with error messages and warnings

literally looks like xfce except its slower and shittier

the only thing good from kde is kwin and dolphin

Just like SystemDildo:

- too big
- too fat
- too monolithic

Any questions?

it's sad because KDE used to be pretty modular

KDE always was and still is a bug ridden pile of crap and a usability carastrophe

end your life

Are you retarded? It has become more and more modular over time. Practically all they are doing is de-coupling the different parts of KDE and having graphic designers slightly improve the aesthetics.

it's still not as modular as 3 was

It is the most popular desktop environment.

Dolphin is the best file manager

What kind of retarded shit? I'm asking this naively, I've never tried a non-GNOME Fedora spin before.

Buggy

apparently the KDE one comes with Kiten, and it's some kind of japanese dictionary for learners

is it really that unpopular?

anyways imo it's a) boringly windows-like and b) inferior in its aesthetics - gnome 3 is a heap of shit imo but at least there's the cheap thrill of novelty, as with unity, elementary OS etc. and KDE is also somewhat visually bloated with menus, bars, buttons.

Search konqi on e621

e621.net/post/index/1/kde

furiffic.com/pouar

Benis :DDDDD

Should have stuck with KDE 3. There was literally nothing functionally wrong with that.

KDE and associated applications typically have UIs that are either overcrowded (button for everything syndrome) and/or are laid out awkwardly (e.g. all the controls being tightly clustered up in one corner while the other corner has football fields of white space). Every part of KDE would benefit greatly from a simple rethinking of what buttons are actually necessary and re-layout that distributes space more evenly.

They don't need to go full GNOME with 50px margins everywhere and not enough buttons. XFCE's applications are a good middleground to use as an example.

It's unstable and buggy as hell.

And when it's finally matured into a perfectly stable DE, they deprecate it in favor of a brand new release that has a million bugs and stability issues.

This is the cycle with every single KDE release.

>>GTK toolkit originally made by the GIMP developers
>GTK stands for Gimp ToolKit
>Latest gimp isn't compatible with latest gtk
How can one fuck up so badly?

y tho?

because KDE is buggy as hell

>typically have UIs that are either overcrowded (button for everything syndrome) and/or are laid out awkwardly (e.g. all the controls being tightly clustered up in one corner while the other corner has football fields of white space)
Can you give some examples for these? Because I haven't seen anything like this since Plasma 4.

What terminal emulator is that?

>XFCE's applications are a good middleground to use as an example.

What's the point of XFCE as a "lightweight" DE when it uses more resources and is less functional than MATE?

>Activities
There are multiple blog posts, articles, forum threads, etc. about activities being confusing, not well integrated, and generally useless.
>A "super-set" of virtual desktops
>Separate wallpaper, widgets, and desktop icons are the only relevant changes

>YAY! ACTIVITIES!

gimp is a pile of shit.

honestly a lot of productive software on linux is mediocre at best. i can't believe there still isn't some sort of effort to cooperate between projects and create a suite like the adobe stuff with common development and a common interface, shortcuts etc. it's a mess right now. a million fucking little projects and forks one shittier than the other. coordinate your efforts, freetards

Well, Krita doesn't sucks.

Linux is pretty much a toy on the home desktop.

That's not an insult against Linux as a server or embedded systems or what-have-you, but in some cases its usability and functionality for a home user is below even some early-90s propriety computers.

most desktop users literally don't need anything other than a web browser, image viewer, and media player. Linux does those things very well.

werks on my machine for the first time actually, no tearing without compton
its not a meme if it actually works.

it's okay but still, until there's some effort for standardisation it's all kinda fucked. it's annoying enough to learn the shortcuts for one program, doing it for three or more (which most graphics guys will need) is unnecessarily messy. same with the interface etc

i agree but if you work in media / arts / marketing / movie shit / audio production etc the software is usually a pain in the ass to use. feature wise it's often good enough but the lack of cooperation between devs pretty much ruins the experience, which is a shame. i'd love to be free of the bloated adobe suite and their insane prices. i'm willing to pay/donate a reasonable price for that, i just see any options. really the main thing keeping me from switching to some linux distro, i dont care about games much, but for now i', dependant on aidsdobe

>updated every 2 years, ugly
Updated every time the devs remember, crashes and is uglier than sin with the clock padding and huge font
>works fine, your toaster is not a computer
the ideal DE should run on even 1GB toasters with C2Ds, like Xfce
>Every DE is bloated
wrong, GNOME and KDE are bloated.
>We are speaking about DE, not a window
manager
>We are speaking about DE
>speaking about DE
indian confirmed.

shit is still better than whatever the fuck KDE is supposed to be.

terminator, only good thing about this goddamn desktop
LOOK AT THAT FUCKING CLOCK HOLY SHIT

Only thing I find better on kde is kdeconnect and dolphin. Not enough to get me to invest the time to switch.

The show get's even more interesting if you DO manage to get it installed. It looks good, but it performs horribly.

>the ideal DE should run on even 1GB toasters with C2Ds, like Xfce

Could even make the argument that even that is too much considering that the actual demands made of a DE haven't changed since a time when that was considered a top-of-the-range system.