Go on /sci/

>Go on /sci/.
>People ACTUALLY fell for the ''get the PhD in Math meme''.
>They are now jobless and 80,000$ in debt.
Is there a job market in your country Sup Forums for people with a PhD in math?

math teacher

Not really.

>>They are now jobless and 80,000$ in debt.
I had funding and lived in poverty so I actually managed to save a lot of money during my studies.

>THey didn't do the Applied Math meme
>$200k starting, any quant job you want

>BUTTHURT CANADIANS START REPLYING

>PhD in math
>jobless

too lazy for tenure and too autistic to secure research funding

They literally cannot stop.

>getting a phd in math
>not just becoming an actuary

>not just becoming neet
shaggily daggily doo

Yes. Off of the top of my head, my local GE office employs hundreds.
Oh and

I am a particular math teacher, I bill 100 PESOS the hour, I have 64 students, I make 64 THOUSAND pesos a month, that's a fucking huge salary around here...

[spoiler]I'm not even a real teacher[/spoiler]

Data scientists.

You should have done finance.
Straight out of my school people make 80k€ first year and 6 figures + in after 2 years on average.

People with DD with Sloan or HBS make even more.

I did finance and just graduated. It's awesome how companies were practically throwing jobs at me and I have no internship experience and only 2 years of part-time employment but good grades.

im retarded with math

Actual math phd-student here. Being in dept is a thing uncommon basically everywere exept in Bonginstan and the US, independent of your field of study. Getting a job is easy, except you are both too autistic to work in real life jobs, i.e. not stay in research, but somehow still aim to do a normal job. I never heard of that happening though.

Who the fuck pays for a PhD? If you don't get funding, you weren't actually accepted.

This. No funding is a polite 'no'.
Although you can have some small amount of debt from undergrad. As for jobs, postdocs outside the anglosphere are weird...

>leafs going for lebbit-tier degrees
How surprising

these are the only answers

I went back to school and chose Electrical Engineering.

Was that a good move for the global job market?

I feel bad for STEM people because along with unskilled labour they are the first jobs to be automated.

Who /lawschool/ here?

Who /24withnodegreeworkingatmcdonalds/ here?

it's shit tier here right now due to a flooded market

If you can manage to get into patent law though you'll make bank and have businesses beg for you

What? That makes no sense. STEM would be among the last fields to be automated and when that happens robots might as well wipe out humanity.

I think patent law is really cool, and I think I'd be a good lawyer, but I can't imagine working as a hired gun for the smarmy pharma companies/tech companies. Patents don't spur innovation and are literally killing people who can't afford drug prices.

already a lawyer and starting a LLM in the UK or Switzerland on sept before joining Chilean foreign service
>mfw

>It's yet another episode of "money is all that matters to Americans"

When you're one accident away from being homeless, you want to feather your nest. I wish it wasn't this way, but in the US you have to think about it.

You're looking at the memes rather than at the facts. All STEM stuff is easy to automate. Here's the progression of automation:
unskilled labor->stem stuff->humanities->administration/politics

Facts. STEM is one tier above unskilled labor.

im a hikikomori

Does no one want to answer me?

I just want to live comfy.

that's a uniquely japanese phenomenon. you can't be that as you can't be a samurai or zulu warrior plain and simple

Protip: most of them are lying about a PhD, they probably have Bachelor's degrees in it and want to sound like they have more reason to cry.
Also
>paying for graduate school ever

No, over-saturated market right now senpai, all the uncreative fucks that want a path to decent money do some form of engineering these days.

Sweden has seen massive expansion businesses-wise in recent years and there's mad demand because you can't import workforce from elsewhere, they need to know Swedish law. I'm in my first year and already I'm getting free shit from every firm in town so I'll remember them when I graduate.

>humanities

a joke

>administration/politics

a human desire to be ruled by humans rather than algorithms will ensure this

that still leaves about 99% of jobs to be automatized before STEM like all kinds of office work

i havent been outside in 2 years lol

I don't even have a job

The office work is the unskilled work I mentioned. In a post scarcity economy there isn't much demand for anything but human artists and policy makers. You're delusional if you can STEM better than a machine. STEMmies will be out of job in 5 years, half or quarter of humanities peeps will retain their jobs for the next 20 years. Sad but true.

Could a machine really engineer something? I think we're getting a bit ahead here. I'll wait until I can see a computer programming itself to a meaningful degree

that means you're a loser, not a samurai. do you like get emotional and scared when you go outside? how primitive.

Engineering isn't really pure STEM, more like applied STEM.

>engineering isn't Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics

This. People with advanced math degrees are like gold in academia. If you have one and you aren't finding a job, it's only because you're a picky retard that is refusing to teach.

Well yes of the four it's objectively the least like the others. Might as well swap engineering with economics, would make equally much sense.

It will still take human engineers to design things for quite some time.

What is that you do that's so special?

Quite some time before the other humanities fields. Engineering is the humanities of STEM lol.

I don't do anything because I don't need to. We live in a civilized Western European Rechtsstaat where we value human rights and liberty.

As far as I know studying statistics here is a sure way to land a good job.

You're pretty optimistic if you believe machines will be able to engineer things in five years

......ok. Well your opinions have been discarded. Thanks.

you can teach math at the university.

Are you retarded? Who do you think automates jobs? Engineers aka stem ofc

>you can't import workforce from elsewhere

Good law actually

aye.
3rd year into a 5 year degree.

1% of STEMlords do 100% of automation, doesn't mean you dime a dozen engineers are spared.

Well, you are from one of the richest countries. Im sure you are too.

Math teacher is a high demand job but it is also horrible. Dealing with students can be stressful and even worse if they are in their teens so around high school age. Elementary school level or university level probably easier to deal with.

Once you go PhD, your only option is staying in the academy.
At least here it's like that.
Really, doing anything that isn't computer science here is a complete waste of your degree, but at least it's not as expensive as getting a degree in America I guess.

get a cushy academic tenureship at that university

I'm doing physics.
I'm going for a PhD.
Hopefully something good comes of it.
If I can't get into academia, I might just go private, and work on R&D.

>stem meme
>becomes a teacher
top lel

I will never become a teacher.
I would only become a professor. But I will never under any circumstance teach in high school or anything like that. especially considering that PhDs don't teach in high school.

I will rather work in industry.
As an engineer or something. Physicists do engineering jobs. R&D is also an option. There is lots, at least here in the US.

>Non-Stem
>Becomes burger flipper

>he works 640 hours per month
maths checks out

>falling for the stem meme

>trades
>stable high income

>stem meme
>job outsourced to indians/chinese

No matter. I have no ideas of grandeur or winning Noble prices.

I simply want to do a PhD, for the knowledge, and then go onto something that can give me a living, preferable within Physics.

If I could become a researcher, then perfect. If not I can work for the state department making missiles and other weapons to bomb mussies. It's OK.

who /neet/ here?
I can study anything I want whenever I want whilst jacking off, playing video games, being half naked and scratching my balls all day everyday

Yeah so in practice you only jack off, play video games and scratch your balls all day

now you're thinking like a neet my friend

I am a neet

I'M HIGH AS FUCK AND I'M LAUGHING SO HARD AT THIS IMAGE AHAHA

BA in Geography

I am fucked.

>Have two friends with MS degrees in Mathematics and one with a BS
>All bartenders

CAN'T, MAKE. THIS. SHIT. UP.

BA in almost anything and you're fucked

fuck I wanted to do accounting but I guess I'll have to crack my head in finance