/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sywUxZEqKlc
youtube.com/watch?v=7GdsftXc0yU
amazon.co.uk/Blue-Spot-45500-125-Non-Slip/dp/B00UALIYVQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1491778898&sr=8-4&keywords=non slip mat
amazon.co.uk/Blue-Spot-45500-125-Non-Slip/dp/B00UALIYVQ/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He-350 owner... currently living in at 36°Celcius (min). Any earpads sealed with glue last just a month.

For now... i will just dye the foam to black. Are there any compatible earpads without shitty glue? Help me /g

Idol trash here. HD600 best $300 headphone. Love Live rocks. Idolm@ster also rocks. Schiit stack is the shit. Video related.

youtube.com/watch?v=sywUxZEqKlc

>tfw that one fag tries to tell you that the e10k sounds exactly the same as the fulla 2

Just no lmao. Me and multiple people can hear the bass and separation difference within seconds. The e10k is amazing for what it is, but it's not as good as the fulla 2. Cue the autists.

What's the best IEM for under 40 dollars? the ones that came with my s5 (which were very good) finally broke. I found some on amazon which were supposedly identical to the ones that came with the phone, and after ordering them they turned out to be fakes. I'm tired of gambling with fakes, what would you guys recommend?

>one
No.
>sounds the same
Wasn't the entire thing about not knowing with confidence instead of trying to spout absolutes into either direction like an idiot?

And we still don't know. Given any understanding of amplifiers, there shouldn't unless there is a problem. Both devices should work without any such problems within their operating limits. Vague terms attempting to describe sound aren't helping or convincing. And given any understanding of human perception, it's unsurprising to say that least that you hear a difference in all cases.

Reposting from last thread since didn't get any feedback. I'm leaning toward e215s. Thoughts?

>Budget
I'd like to stay below 200 dollars, but 100 would be great. Kind of depends on where the peak value is at. If spending 200 only yields me 5% more performance, I'd rather spend the 100 to get 95% of the way.
>Location
USA
>Source
Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox (came to Sup Forums in the past to ask about an MP3 player and that's how I ended up with that)
>Type of headphone
IEM. I want something light to travel with, good isolation. I fly a lot so would like one of those buttons some headphones have where you can hear/microphone the flight attendant without having to pull the IEMs out.
>Comfort level
Comfy!
>Sound signature
I guess nuetral or at least close to. I mostly listen to electronic music, mostly progressive house and minimal techno. So something crunchy isn't too bad either, but the other 20% of the time I listen to classical and piano so I don't want something really wacky for that.
>Past headphones
I had some high dollar Shure E535s from like 10 years ago. They have lived their life and died. I also have some Beyerdynamic DT770s that need a replacement top pad...

HD600 owner here, Fulla 2 is nice, but it doesn't provide enough gain, plus it sounds odd past 3 o'clock. The magni2 in high-gain mode does HD600 much better. I suggest you feed it from the DAC output of the fulla2.

As for the e10k? Chink garbage.

Btw: What's that strange surface to the left of your picture? Is that rubber? I'm pondering getting something like that to prevent my llsif/deresute device from sliding through the desk while playing.

>And we still don't know

We literally do. I didn't even need to read the rest of your post.

SE215 is a very bassy in ear. Default version doesn't have the controls you want but they sell a cable for it. It's a nice choice unless the bassy response isn't a problem.

>plus it sounds odd past 3 o'clock
Really? Contacted Schiit?

The only thing we know is that you aren't the brightest poster here and you have problems understanding what you are reading.

The difference is night and day. It's almost as obvious as switching headphones. There's literally nothing else to say.

>Really? Contacted Schiit?
It's only an issue with HD600 (not my other cans), and I only know about it because I have the Magni 2 to compare against.

I've also read other people do experience the same with their fulla 2's, so I figure HD600 are just too much for this device.

K240MKII
K171MKII
K271MKII
Which?

>but it doesn't provide enough gain, plus it sounds odd past 3 o'clock

Hi m8, I've spoke to you multiple times about this. Are you sure there's not a problem with your fulla 2? mine is loud as fuck before 12 on most songs and sources. I'm with you on the past 3 distortion but I never need to go past 2 unless it's a weirdly quiet song. I'd like to try a schiit stack but I prefer the fact that the fulla 2 plugs in via usb and it's all very clean and small. I love the volume knob too.

It could be that you clip it at that point. If it's not defective that's pretty lackluster.

Why these?

Thanks. It's a Shure aftermarket cable?

I think bassy is probably good for my genre of choice.

>me and my brother
Tell me more.

MMCX is a common connector, so you can order from elsewhere if you like.

>Why these?
Can't tell you because I don't know.

uwotm8

Thanks!

Yes the one I was looking at was Shure CBL-M-K. I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy the in-ears with that cable included. user noted that the connector SE215s use is MMCX so you can use all sorts of aftermarket cables, too.
>bassy
More about your preferences than musical choices. You have Rockboxed Clip+ with a built in multi band parametric equalizer. Use that and don't worry about tonality.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. It's a big help.

>mine is loud as fuck before 12 on most songs and sources.
Mine too, but sometimes I like it real loud... yeah I know.

Most of the time I use it somewhere between 9 and 1pm on the magni 2 on high gain. The extra gain helps with classical music, and with some series/movies/videogames.

>I'm with you on the past 3 distortion
Good. I like how I can put the volume @ max, on magni2 in high gain, and it does still sound good. I don't like to use the HD600 with the Fulla 2 because I feel that if I can't max the amp's knob without distortion, the amp falls short of the cans.

After much testing at home, I now do keep my Fulla 2 at work, where it feeds HD380, which it drives pretty well. Volume knob 8-10 range for music, 10-12 for deresute/llsif through line in, fed from the OP3.

>I love the volume knob too.
Who doesn't. It's so huge and pleasant to tweak.

Re: that surface to the left, no comment? :/

Pic related: My setup, celebrating umi's birthday a few weeks ago.

Posting again. No Sennheisers, please; too expensive. So far, I only have AKG K612s as a recommendation.

>Budget
~$300

>Location
Canada

>Source
PC (Realtek ALC1150 w/ 600 Ohm AMP)

>Type of headphone
Full size

>Open or closed
Open

>Comfort level
Maximum comfiness (Comfiness > Audio)

>Sound signature
Anything that isn't too v-shaped. Alternatively, anything that compliments this type of music.

youtube.com/watch?v=7GdsftXc0yU

>Past headphones
Nothing too high-end or worth mentioning. Let's skip that.

Final question; does Amazon.com ship to Canada? Also, a DAC + AMP recommendation would be appreciated, but not needed.

BUMP for feedback :(

>Alternatively, anything that compliments this type of music.
That is earrape on my HD600. I don't even want to think about how murderous it might sound on something v-shaped.

Challenge:

Don't post Umi or any idolcrap, don't blog about them on Sup Forums and don't avatarfag, idols or not.

Are you a bad enough dude to succeed?

The idea behind listing old headphones is to describe them. What you liked or disliked in those so that it's easy to get a picture of what you might like.

Comfort is subjective but AKG K612/K702 or DT880s are generally considered to be comfortable. Sennheiser has plenty of affordable models too. Fidelio X2 is bassy and usually pretty comfy too. You have lots of options.

Those are pretty sensitive ears you have there; what music do you listen to?

>Don't post Umi or any idolcrap,
Nothing wrong with doing that.

>are you a bad enough dude to succeed?
Bad? I'm not bad at all. Except when I actually need to be. Which hopefully doesn't involve Sup Forums, else I wouldn't even bother posting here.

Excerpts from

Aug 7 2016
>m8 I own the 600's and the odac and my brother owns the e10k. The o2 sounds slightly better, the bass is stronger and everything else feel slightly improved. If you're new to this game you might not care or even notice the difference but it's real. The odac obviously costs a lot more so you just need to decide if it's worth it for you. If money is no problem get the odac, it's slightly better. Period.
>They aren't identical. They're very close but the o2+odac combo sound richer. The e10k is noticeably thinner sounding. Like I said though, it's a small difference and one that most won't care about. This is my end game so I wan't it to be as good as possible. I could easily sell this combo, buy the e10k and make a good chunk of money back but i'm not going to because the o2 is slightly better. I don't deal in memes, price or graphs. I know what I hear and I can hear the difference straight away on most songs. But i'll stress again that they're very close and the e10k is a better option for most people who don't care enough. It's a great amp+dac, especially for the money.
>If they're exactly the same I'd fucking love to hear you explain that one.
>I'm still comparing them and the odac sounds slightly more rich with extended bass. I'm not fucking making it up either. I'd love to sell this and buy an e10k instead but it's slightly worse with my 600's and it was the same with my 702's when I first bought it. Period.

Aug 26 2016
>I owned the odac wih my hd600's until I tried my brothers e10k. They both sound exactly the same after extensive testing with the 600's[...]Don't fall for the memes.

Mar 24 2017
>I've only owned the e10k and odac combo before the fulla 2. Both of those sounded EXACTLY the same to me but from a quick test the fulla 2 seems like it sounds a little bit different but with better bass.

Random C64 SIDs and Amiga MODs, Metal, Classical, OSTs from videogames and anime, idolm@ster/lovelive/otheridoltrash, oldish electronica.

Yeah, that video hurts to listen to somehow, whereas SIDs somehow do not.

So I got a pair of audio technicas that I really like, but I mostly use them for gaming and lack a mic. What's the best way to add a mic?

I'd rather not have something big as my rig is out in the open in my appartment and I don't want it to look bad.

I doubt they're all the same person.

Chuckle. There must be more. I swear I've read at least ten brotherblogs with awful listening impressions of the same gear. These then being reposted to the following threads as truths to the point of nuisance.

I currently have SHP9500S'. I used to have HD 518s, but became too muddy for me after I got used to the SHPs.

What I like about them:
>Comfort, specifically their wide pads
>Sound separation, especially compared to my last pair
>Soundstage, despite lacking depth

What I don't like about them:
>Shallow pads
>Non-replaceable pads
>Lack of bass
>Treble grain

As for Sennheisers, I don't think I will be considering any of them; HD 6X0s are $500+, and HD 5X8s are $200. At that point, I think there are better options. AKG K612s, K701s, and DT 880s are affordable, so thanks for the recommendations.

im getting the cheapo sennheisers hd 201.Am i doing bad?

For how much?

20E
i really cant see any other good alternatives for somewhat closed and lightweight headphones

Sorry, I didn't realize that you asked about the surface in my setup. I can't even remember what it's called but I bought it as a slight cushion for when I put my headphones down, without actually hanging them back up. I had one side of my 702's stop working in the past for no reason and the only thing I could put it down to was the fact that I put them down on my desk quite often. The truth is that they probably weren't soldered properly in the first place and I had to re-solder them to fix them.

Oh, I see.

I'll eventually figure out a decent solution for the sliding OP3 issue. For now what I'm doing is putting it against my keyboard (das keyb 4 ultimate w/browns), which actually protrudes a bit over my OP3.

It's not perfect; The device still moves around sometimes. But it's decent-ish.

A rubber-ish grid is probably The Way, but unsure what to get or where.

>Budget
~100$

>Location
US

>Source
iPod, phone, or laptop.

>Type of headphone
Full sized.

>Open or closed
Closed.

>Comfort level
Just nothing terrible.

>Sound signature
Warm to neutral. Details are nice.

>Past headphones
Nothing worth mentioning.

Probably going to get m40xs, am I making a mistake?

Wow the autism is strong with this one.

I did say all that and I did convince myself that the o2 sounded better than the e10k. That was my first ever amp/dac upgrade so there was obviously a placebo effect. I bought the o2 expecting it to sound better. That wasn't the case with the fulla 2, I bought it for the extra features. I felt like a fucking retard after realizing that the e10k and o2 sounded the same.

The difference with the fulla 2 compared to the e10k is big. It's not slight at all and I've had absolute normies compare them and they hear the difference. We're talking blatant bass differences here at a very minimum. the e10k sounds quite flat in comparison.

>We're talking blatant bass differences here at a very minimum. the e10k sounds quite flat in comparison.
Hmm. Is it the dac or the amp I do wonder.

Maybe chain the e10k output to the Fulla 2, and see if there's any improvement vs e10k alone. I'd also try the opposite, except for some stupid reason e10k lacks line-in.

Damn I wish I could remember what this stuffs called. It's actually connected via string inside the sponge material so it's pretty sturdy as well as flexible.

>It's actually connected via string inside the sponge material so it's pretty sturdy as well as flexible.
Sounds pretty good, if it's also rubbery / totally not slippery.

Are the differences between the HD650 and HD600 not too important?

If I like a little bass am I okay with getting the 650 or is it just not that smart to do that when I can get the 600?

The question is, do you prefer no bass over veil, or veil over no bass?

I don't even know what veil is, my old headphones aren't audiophile at all to be honest.

I guess some cover to worse quality music doesn't sound that bad? But I wouldn't know since my current headphones aren't that good so It's literally all cover.

Mar 25 2016
>So Sup Forums I just tested the o2 amp (no dac) vs the e10k, I was told a few weeks ago that I wouldn't notice a difference besides a volume increase, wrong. Me and my brother could hear a difference straight away, I even did a blind test and ended up stopping the first song after ten seconds, and guessing rightly. The o2 amp clearly has more clarity. Explain lads.
>Please stop being offended e10k owner. I only bought the o2 amp for a specific reason whilst owning the e10k myself but it turns out that it ACTUALLY sounds better. than the e10k. Me and my brother could hear the difference immediately, and we proved right with a make shift blind test.

Several months of "me and my brother" performing experimental error later:

August 17
>Someone try and prove to me why the o2 sounds better than the fiio e10k with the hd600's. I'm comparing both and it's incredibly hard to tell, i'm 95% sure they sound exactly the same with these headphones. I'm leaning towards selling the o2 because it's a massive waste of money if the e10k is doing the exact same job. Not to mention it's usb only and doesnt need a power lead. I'm talking about specifically with the hd600's. Which are clearly easy to drive.
>That's my point. I've owned a lot of good headphones and the differences are fairly obvious. I know the e10k is weaker than the o2 but with the hd600's they sound EXACTLY the same. I've tested both extensively to make sure.

>Maybe chain the e10k output to the Fulla 2, and see if there's any improvement vs e10k alone

I'll actually try that next time. Either way they're both dac+amp combos and they sound different straight away. If you look at my previous quotes you will see that I said that they're very close. That was obviously me convincing myself that the o2 was better, and I remember how 'hard' I had to listen to hear a difference. it costs 4 times as much and it's powered by the mains, rather than usb. Of course it's going to sound better right? I was fairly new to this hobby then and I've since proclaimed that expensive amps/dacs are most likely a meme. I don't feel the same after buying my fulla 2. Like I said, I bought it for the extra features and I expected it to sound exactly the same. It doesn't. For the sake of this argument I'm not even going to say that it sounds better, but it certainly sounds different at the very least.

It's not exactly rubbery, more foamy if that makes sense ,but It's very grippy. I'll search for it again a bit later or tomorrow. I'll reply back here when I find out what it is.

You could always get a DT880 which is the least strong v-shape of the DT family and EQ the treble down to your liking, it comes in many impedances so it shouldn't be a problem finding on that fits exactly the gear you have.

Thanks

Great, thank you.

I've owned both and I think the 600 is better. You will most likely prefer the 650's if you've only ever heard trash bassy headphones/iems like we all did at some point. They're honestly very close and the 650 isn't a blatantly more bassy version of the 600 imo, it just doesn't sound as clean. You will win either way, you will either both of them.

You can grab either and it'll be fine.

HD600 and HD650 are more close to each other than not. They're both excellent cans for the price.

>If you look at my previous quotes you will see that I said that they're very close

I meant the e10k and the o2

shameless bump

>You will most likely prefer the 650's if you've only ever heard trash bassy headphones/iems like we all did at some point.
I'd add to that: Immediately prefer, rather than a week or two after. Neutrality takes a while to get used to.

But at the end, it is better. Went through a lot of 600 vs 650 reviews before pulling the plug.

At that price? Probably not. That's budget for a pizza.

h, I bought the 600's first and ended up buying the 650's afterwards because I just need to know, and I assumed they would be a bassier version of the 600. I was disappointed. They barely had any more bass, they just didn't sound as clean or nice. That said, they're still the second best headphones that I've ever tried. Much better than 702's, k712's and x2's for example.

Go to

Aug 7 2016
>What the actual fuck. I can actually hear the difference between the e10k and the odac. Why the fuck would you buy an amp that expensive 'for no special reason.
>Btw I bought the 650's last week from amazon as a test and they're technically worse than the 600's. The only improvement is the bass and the extra amount is TINY. The 600's sound better overall and the vocals are clearly better. Not even trying to be a dickhead or argue. I'm just being honest.

M40X's are slighty V-Shaped while keeping the mids on the neutral side though aren't bad once you replace the pads since the stock ones are uncomfortable. The headphones below are also worth looking into.

Status CB-1/Somic MM185
NVX XPT100/Brainwavs HM5

Best headphone, prove me wrong.

Thanks, I'm on bad form tonight.

>Does anyone know what the difference between the Superlux 668b and 669 is? One of them has tons of glowing reviews and a lot of coverage, the other one just seems to have slipped out afterwards without anyone noticing it.

Both use the same drivers. 668B is open while the 669 is closed. I'm using the 668B's as my daily driver and have my 669 Clone, Samson SR950, in the closet as a backup set.

>$150
>Wireless
>Gaming headset
This can't be good. Try going lower into the sub-$100 territory.

Not an argument.
Just your own disbelief.

Ha! Keep enjoying your virtual 7.1 surround sound, you delusional fuck. The true king has arrived. You have two? I have 8, you silly clown. Prove me wrong.

Go away.

>$150
Custom One Pro

>that cheap leatherette work

You spent money on that?

Anyone here can help me with the Afterglow LVL 3 headset? My friend bought 2 pairs and the quality is mediocre aside from the constant crackling on our end. He bought a new pair and the problem is still there. Shitty headset or easy fix?

Found it lad!

amazon.co.uk/Blue-Spot-45500-125-Non-Slip/dp/B00UALIYVQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1491778898&sr=8-4&keywords=non slip mat

Can't prove me wrong, eh? Kek. That was only the beginning. Take a look at these bad boys; and look! A metal headband. No snapping; already better than Sennheisers.

>amazon.co.uk/Blue-Spot-45500-125-Non-Slip/dp/B00UALIYVQ/
Whoah, thanks!.

In uk amazon, even! I'm in Ireland, so that's ideal.

Shitty headset. I used to have one of those when I used to play on console andnit had the same problem. What platform are you using them on (Console, PC)?

Any V-Moda shits all over it.

I'd suggest to stop throwing money away in gaymer headsets.

We talk over discord via phone while I'm at work then over ps4 when I'm home. Problems there both times.

Kek. I'd like to see you prove me wrong.

>Metal headband
>No snapping
>Auto-adjusting FR
>Over-ear and in-ear at the same time

What's not to like? You can't even beat for the price.

Why not just have IEM's at work and a seperate pair of headphones at home?

Glad you're happy, but it more of a reference if anything. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the actual listing I bought from but it's the same product.

>In uk amazon, even! I'm in Ireland, so that's ideal.

I'm 3/4 irish but born in England. Happy to help another celtic bro ;)

>IEM's
Im not that nerdy. I use default samsung earbuds and have had no complaints.

uwot

I'm not Irish though... I'm Spanish. Currently living in Ireland, but trying to GTFO to Tokyo.

Hoping my next job interview goes well...

Thats what IEM's are. In-ear Monitors as in they go in your ear like your samsung earbuds.

Thanks guys, I guess i'll shill the extra ~50 for the 600's since I'm basically goin all out anyways.

A Spaniard living in ireland, I love it. I assumed you were irish but |I don't actually care lol. Japan is the end game? Good luck, I hope you make it bro.

Well done. These are often called end game for good reason.

unconventional for me tho, I dont need noise cancellation or amazing quality.

>that speaker placement
aids

>HD 600
>End game

Modmic.

>Japan is the end game? Good luck, I hope you make it bro.
Yeah, thank you.

No love live arcade machines in Ireland. That's just how much life does suck in here.

Now, kidding aside, I spent a couple weeks there last spring, and now I absolutely have to live there no matter what. The pull is quite strong.

Once there, I'll make sure to get myself some stax earspeakers™.

I currently have 2 headphones, HD600s and TH X00 that I use with my Lake People G109 amp. Is this my endgame? I want to try out some planars or a flagship thats a step up. What would you guys recommend?

>I dont need noise cancellation
iems dont have noise cancellation other than some bose shit i think