What didn't go right?

What didn't go right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wIA5DrJEE1M
blog.kazade.co.uk/p/dreampi.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It was the perfect console. No fighting game ever beat Soul Calibur.

Easy piracy and no dvd drive.
It was way ahead of its time.
>VGA output
>ethernet adapter

except sc2 of course

I was talking about WinCE on Dreamcast, actually.

What about it? Some games used it, some didn't.

Its a god damn shame it didn't have a DVD drive, video game history could have been completely different

That wouldn't have saved it.
sega was producing 7 consoles concurrently when dreamcast came out, and if they added dvd they couldn't get the shit at cost like sony could, it would have bloated the price to 3do/neogeo levels

Nothing was saving sega form being shittily managed.

>except sc2 of course

No, most people agree that SC1 > SC2 > SC3.

Sega had really hurt their brand with the Saturn. Around that time Sega was releasing a new console every other year. And most of them had no games, so they were a giant waste of money. Anyone that bought one would be rightfully skeptical about buying a Sega console in the future. They burned their own fans there. It was hard to pull in non-Sega fans because the Playstation and N64 were still going pretty strong at the time. Plus, the next-gen consoles for those were just around the corner.

Aside from that, it wasn't even entirely their fault that they failed. They had the unfortunate timing of releasing around the same time as the PS2. The PS2 was so fucking good that it was almost cheating. It did pretty much everything right and had an absolutely massive player base from the PS1. And for the people that missed out on the PS1, they could buy a PS2 and it would play PS1 games.

It was mostly there to make porting games to Drereamcast easy, like Starlancer. Later of course it was useful for porting games that have been in development for Dreamcast to Xbox.
Fun fact: The operating system wasn't actually on the Dreamcast but on the disc and Windows CE was just an option.

youtube.com/watch?v=wIA5DrJEE1M

Fucking skies of arcadia my dudes

Nostalgia rush

such a failure of a console

Is there any decent emulator available these days or should I just take out my dreamcast and let my ears bleed for a minute while it's loading that disc

DVD playback in the PS2, and "GD ROMs" in the dreamcast.
That is all.

>19999
>not ripping your dvd's on a PII, re-encoding them to a lower res, lower bitrate avi, burning them to a cd-rom @ 2x speed and watching them on your dreamcast with homebrew software

>1999
>DVD

Sc2 broke all that was good with sc1.

BECUZ WINDOW TRASH
YES

Sega releasing a bunch of consoles and add ons in a short time that were shitty and unsuccessful and then selecting people to shell out more money. Just look at the hardware released since the genesis up to the DC launch. Too much stuff.

I'm one of the few people who never previously owned a Sega console before the DC.

GD-ROM

shit marketing strategy. While Sony were pushing the PS2 like crazy Sega were just sitting on their asses expecting everyone to hear about the DreamCast.

dvd's getting pretty old, mate
first came out in 1995, the content protection (css) was cracked in 1999

Everyone did hear about the dreamcast, and they did push the dreamcast like crazy. The Dreamcast was the most successful launch of a console up until that point, but was short lived when the PS2 happened.

I only personally knew of a single person who owned the Dreamcast beside me. Everyone else never heard about it unless they cared enough to read video game magazines. I suppose part of the failure is also the lack of support from third parties specially EA games.

GD-ROM wasn't really much different to a CD, they were just made with smaller pits than a standard CD
it's possible to read GD-ROM discs with a standard CD drive, if it's decent quality, and you trick it into reading past the first part of the disc
and of course, the dreamcast can read standard CD's as well

>implying you could obtain blank gd-rom discs and gd-rom writers
we worked with the tools at hand mate

Almost no games used it, it was a shitty SDK.

Soul blade = SC2 > SC1 > SC3

SC1 was boring as fuck and lacked alternate weapons.

So you prefer the Barbie iterations of the series. Sc1 had far better game mechanics than sc2. Sc3 was a step in the right direction however vc and everything to do with it killed this sequel. Also, Namco not releasing the improved version in consoles still leaves a bigger taste in the months of fans.

My 1999 Aptiva came with a 2x DVD drive. It was rad.

I remember having a poorfag friend who used their dreamcast for IRC

it actually still has games being released for it.
fact that it was easily hacked benefited the console
see the wii and the ps2 for further evidence of how hacked consoles manage to be the best selling.
even in the handheld market, hacked=better sales.

sc1 had too many bugs and broken shit. SC2 was as good as SC has ever got... sc2 actually ran some successful tournies without bans

There are 2 genesis chassis and something like 11 revisions of hardware between the two (not counting majesco) 2 models of sega cd and a all in one sega cd-x consoleions of the master system adapter, Nomad handheld version, the 32x, the Sega modem for Sega Channel. WTF

>Nintendo had really hurt their brand with the Wii U. Around that time Nintendo was releasing a new console every other year. And most of them had no games, so they were a giant waste of money. Anyone that bought one would be rightfully skeptical about buying a Nintendo console in the future. They burned their own fans there. It was hard to pull in non-Nintendo fans because the Playstation 4 and Xbox One were still going pretty strong at the time. Plus, the next-gen consoles for those were just around the corner.
>Aside from that, it wasn't even entirely their fault that they failed. They had the unfortunate timing of releasing around the same time as the PS4. The PS4 was so fucking good that it was almost cheating. It did pretty much everything right and had an absolutely massive player base from the PS3. And for the people that missed out on the PS3, they could buy a PS2 and it would play PS1 games.

Sega under-guessed Sony's specs on the PS2, got greedy and released it too early with no competing consoles. Then they got btfo a couple years later when Sony eclipsed it.

It was still a great console. Seeing it on South Park and Malcolm and the Middle makes me want to fire up Phantasy Star Online every time. Was way ahead of it's time and should have just waited patiently.

>DVD (an abbreviation of "digital versatile disc" or "digital video disc") is a digital optical disc storage format invented and developed by Philips, Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic in 1995.

If they actually protected their software they could have subsidized the cost of the DVD drive to win market share.

Many people purchased the PS2 because of the DVD drive, same goes for the PS3 and Blu-ray.

>Was way ahead of it's time
Why do people keep repeating that? It was more less a PlayStation/Saturn with contemporary hardware and similar types of games. There were some online games on it I guess, but those weren't that successful on the PS2 either, and I don't think anyone bought the Xbox for its DVD player capabilities. Not enough people anyways.

There was nothing that was all that special about the console. Maybe that's what the problem was. It is still a nice little console with some cool games tho.

The PS2 was really not much more powerful than the Dreamcast.

what are some of the nicest looking dreamcast games?
the ones i've seen don't get close to the nicest looking ps2 games

null is pretty spot on

that is amazing actually. i had no idea it could run irc

well, it can run homebrew, it has keyboard and modem accessories, so why wouldn't it be able to do IRC?

EA killed the Sega Dreamcast

at the time the dreamcast came out the cheapest dvd player was 700~$

sony is able to deal with selling it at cost because they get something along the lines of a 1/4th cut for every dvd sold (whatever amount of a dvd is licensing rights at least), and it was in their best interest to get dvds to be prolific, so that was also part of their offset cost. for sega to have a dvd drive in the dream cast would have cost a retarded amount of money and on top of them a licensing agreement that would add another at the time 1-200$ on top of the hardware.

nintendo got away with it because of legal technicalities, and microsoft by locking out the dvd function unless you bought a separate player pack, and that was what 100~$ at the time?

who else here /chu chu rocket online/ master race ??

That is bullshit and you know it. The entire gameplay mechanic was fucked for sc2.

Shenmue 1 & 2, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi 1 & 2, Rayman 2, Grandia 2. Look great if you invest the money into VGA for the system

>The PS4 was so fucking good that it was almost cheating. It did pretty much everything right and had an absolutely massive player base from the PS3.

I have no idea what the point of your post is, but that part made me laugh.

Why are people surprised that Japanese toy companies can't compete with consumer electronics giants? It's amazing Nintendo is still even in the videogame industry, and it's a miracle they are still profitable.

while they're certainly nice looking games, i wouldn't say that hold up visually against things like FFXII, god of war 2, shadow of the colossus, and black

it's certainly nice that the dreamcast has VGA support, though the PS2 does have component, which is equivalent in quality

Fun fact:
The DC sold more software in its 2 years then the Xbox one did in 3.

Do not listen to eceleb parrotors. DC did not die because of "piracy". Burning DVDs was still not very easy.

The Xbox was an aborted failure too. Microsoft killed it as fast as they could and brought in Peter Moore from Sega to get the 360 out as soon as possible.

It says XBox one. Not Xbox. And the XBox wasn't a failure.

Because video games are toys you mongoloid.

We don't know what developers could of done with the DC hardware if it had lived into the 2000s. It is truth that they are not far apart specs wise, most of the early PS2 games don't look as good.

black was really something else

even if the cpu and gpu were equivalent (they aren't), the ps2 also has twice the RAM, and two additional processing cores, the vector processing units, each at ~150MHz
while i don't doubt DC games could have looked better if it lasted longer, pretty much every long lasting console has noticable progress in visual quality the later on you get
but even earlier ps2 games like Zone of the Enders, FFX, ICO, etc looked better than dreamcast games, imo

>what is PowerStone 2

Dreamcast games could be burnt to CDs.

It was only used by ports
Why would it be used for anything else when the native SDK was better?

Reminder that you can now play many dreamcast online games again
blog.kazade.co.uk/p/dreampi.html

>Burning DVDs was still not very easy.
but running games from a common 3.5" IDE hdd was

He has a point. PC DVD drives were pretty expensive at the time. Burners, much more so.

>There are 2 genesis chassis and something like 11 revisions of hardware between the two (not counting majesco)
>2 models of sega cd and a all in one sega cd-x

For what its worth, only 1 of each were in production at the same time. The reason they had 11+ revisions is because they kept making it easier to manufacture.

>The PS2 was really not much more powerful than the Dreamcast.

It was 2-5x more powerful easily. But it had to be programmed it in a different way than the industry standard, and hardware antialiasing was broken, so it took a while for people to bother figuring out how to use all that power. That's why early games had so many jaggies.

>Black will never get a sequel

It hurts.

>Dreamcast games could be burnt to CDs.

Yeah, but it took an entire weekend to download a game in 2001. 56k was the norm back then.

People didn't start pirating 700 GB rom sets immediately once piracy was figured out, like some people believe.

>entire weekend to download a game
There was always an uncle who knew somebody with a shit ton of games that would copy them for you

>56k was the norm back then.

i was on ISDN dualbonded lines. 128k was my norm back then.

(i still have my ascend pipeline router)

Too bad that developers didn't bother to implement progressive scan so most games will just boot up and run in 480i.
Credit goes to Gran Autismo, Jackass and that other game that supported up to 1080i.

i didn't have a dreamcast in 2001, but i did have a psone
downloading a cd, or even multi-cd game was ... possible, but they were huge
what i did was just hire games out from my video store and copy them, or copy friends' discs where possible

you can do the same with dreamcast games, though it's tricker to actually read the discs, ps1 games you just pop the disc in and use appropriate software
to read a gd-rom with a regular cd drive requires a swaptrick (last i checked... ages ago)
i recall there being homebrew on the DC to dump discs via the broadband adapter, i imagine this was more common

what mechanic? Every pro SC player disagrees with you. SC2 was completely streamlined.
All the characters are relatively balanced, there are not banned god tier characters like in SC1. SC2 had walls so ring outs were abused like in SC1. Juggles were not abusive and took skill.

It's not a failure in the same way Gamecube isn't a failure. It could be better, it wasn't overwhelmingly profitable, there was just a few good, maybe iconic games.