I'm an author who will be travelling the country, and I want a robust...

I'm an author who will be travelling the country, and I want a robust, performance based laptop to write on in the evenings.

Would a Xiaomi's Mi Notebook Air 13" be good value?

Other urls found in this thread:

9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.co/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Literally any computer will do. Get anything. You're writing text. George RR Martin uses fucking atari or something

ThinkPad 13

>travelling

Use paper and pencil/pen.

>I'm an author
>I want a robust, performance based
>laptop to write
Avoid anything with shit U processors and the stupid chiclet keyboard.

Chromebook or MacBook. Don't fall for the Thinkpad meme

Why not?

That's why he is so infuriatingly slow.

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.co/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2016 and moving files around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

No, it's because he's a fat piece of shit. Neil Stephenson wrote that doorstopper Cryptonomicon on fucking emacs.

This.

Even if you can't be bothered with learning vim just start nano with the option -r 75 and make a new file for every chapter, them cat them all together at the end.

What's with all the Thinkpad 13 shilling lately? It's not even a good laptop.

No, it ships with Windows 10 in chinese, the only way to get around it is to shell out for another copy of win10 and reinstall.

is microsoft paying you yet, or do you do this with your free time pajeet?

>What is a USB partition install and KMSpico

This. Fucking NASA space-pen syndrome.

>Fucking NASA space-pen syndrome.
What

Have you actually read the books? I'd love to see you write such a detailed and intricate storyline and do it better and faster than this guy. I'll wait.

A proverb. "NASA spent millions of dollars researching a pen that would work in space; Russians used a pencil."

That can't be real, holy shit

The battery life on that thing sucks apparently and you in particular would definitely need to get a power bank to go with it.

This is actually not just a proverb, it's a almost true story. One tiny little detail is that the pencils had a cost of about $130 per unit. While this was a lot more in the 1960s than it is today they didn't spend millions.

An interesting side-note is that a number of these pens were later sold to Russia for $9/piece.

Oh but it is real.

Digital is the best way to go.
>Don't need to purchase paper/pencils/mechanical pencil led/erasers/etc
>Doesn't take up anywhere near as much physical space
>Isn't as heavy as lugging around a load of notebooks
>Can easily back up years and years worth of work in no time at all, no need to worry about damage or fading
>Easier to edit anything and search for spelling/other simple mistakes
The list goes on. Here are the (you)s you guys wanted.

The issue is that there was a chance the pencils would explode, correct? It's better to spend money and be on the safe side than be frugal in this specific case.

>>Don't need to purchase paper/pencils/mechanical pencil led/erasers/etc

But you need electricity.

>>Doesn't take up anywhere near as much physical space

How on earth can a pad of a4 and some pens/pencils take up more space than a laptop and power brick?

>>Isn't as heavy as lugging around a load of notebooks

Have you tried not being a manlet?

>>>Can easily back up years and years worth of work in no time at all, no need to worry about damage or fading

But damage can happen to a laptop, and data can get corrupted or lost or made inaccessible due to changes in formats.

>>Easier to edit anything and search for spelling/other simple mistakes

lol just cross it out

Also for spelling try not being a brainlet.

Bullshit. NASA didn't do this meme copypasta bullshit.

>How on earth can a pad of a4 and some pens/pencils take up more space than a laptop and power brick?
I see you haven't focused your life on traditional works so you have no idea how much space your hobby can take up. That shit adds up real fast. Also, regarding a laptop breaking, I said backing up your works. If it breaks then you still have your backups. What happens if your paper gets damaged and you don't have any backups made? Paper is not durable.

>I see you haven't focused your life on traditional works so you have no idea how much space your hobby can take up.

It's fucking sheets of paper and some pens.

>That shit adds up real fast.

Not so fast that evening writing while travelling is going to result in thousands of pages.

> What happens if your paper gets damaged and you don't have any backups made? Paper is not durable.

More durable than a laptop stored in a similar environment.

They're decent as far as YA books go, but you should really start with the Greeks so you can read real literature.

Why would you ever use vim or nano for writing a book or anything not structured like code?

>Would a Xiaomi's Mi Notebook Air 13" be good value?

I have the 12" one. It's great but two complaints: The webcam is garbage. And while the trackpad is great, if it's cold it acts weird and needs to be warmed up (but i hear many trackpads have this issue)

I bought one for my mom. I used it for awhile before hand. I enjoyed it.

The build quality wasn't bad, it was quick (Air 13)

It was either that or a Macbook Air for her but shes so used to Windows we went with that.

If you aren't going to buy a Macbook then the Xiaomi is a good choice.

Graphite is conductive. Having graphite shavings floating around in a capsule with exposed wiring could be really fucking bad.

Ever used macOS for an extended period? It has issues but there's a reason people stay with it and there's a reason people buy macbooks instead of thinkpads. No, it isn't to look good in hipster coffee shops.

this is a meme
sharpen a pencil and the bits that come off of it can kill a person if breathed in in zero-G

Macbook pro.

don't engage spammers. just report, as per rules of this site, and move on.

>robust
>china trash
I wouldn't do it.

U processors are perfect for most normal workloads these days. He isn't simulating black holes on a laptop.

Also chiclet keyboards are pretty much standard and there are some good ones. Unless he's retarded, he'll be able to adjust.

>this meme

[Citation Needed]

He also researched and wrote the whole Baroque Cycle in like 4 years, which was nigh on 3 kilopages plus notes addenda acknowledgements etc.

No

Both Russia and the US used wax pencils in space. Not graphite.

Fisher Price independently decided to develop a pen that would also work in space. This cost them a lot of money and gave us the ballpoint pen.

Thinkpad Transnote.

>2017
>Buying Windows