How did Fedora get so far ahead of other distros so quickly?

It tipped.

Not unity shit, backed from red hat, really good repositories.

The NSA helped.

The NSA writes all the source code.

This.

Fedora is funded by the US government. It's literally NSA: the OS.

>can't be hacked if you hack yourself

Using superior non-free software instead of void/gentoo memes

The NSA must have some good programmers then, Wayland / Fedora 25 are running at MacOS quality on my XPS. F25 is seriously the best desktop *nix I've ever used

>at MacOS quality

so basically shit tier after apple decided on a yearly release cycle

>applel shit
>quality
You funny guy.

Wayland became ready for testing.

it's sponsored by a for profit company that uses the project as a testing for future EL releases?

Linuz Torvalds uses it. That much awesome is bound to rub off.

yeah but RedHat is the biggest open source company is the world, and they open source *everything*, even the startups they acquire, why should we hate them, again?

Because we will never be that good.

It didn't waste 7 years trying to chase the success of iPhones and iPads?

Because they don't always use their massive influence for good.

See: systemd

bingo

systemd provided a lot of standardization between the distributions, though, and made packaging software a lot easier (before you had to write different init scripts for each distribution that were a pain in the ass to maintain)

They're a no-bullshit distro.

They pick the best software (GNOME, systemd, wayland) and ship it. They don't listen to idiots telling them to ship KDE or xfeces or i3.

it's better than windows, which has built in ads.

>best software
>GNOME

systemd is open source

I agree. We use RHEL Workstation at work, and RH / SUSE servers, so using Fedora makes sense for me (get experience with all the new tech that will end up making it into the environment)

It's just mindblowing what a great release F25 was. Super stable, polished, professional

I'm not saying there aren't positive attributes to systemd, just that as a whole it has been a net negative.
The "standardization" feels more like an infection, with all software maintainers now just supporting systemd, it does make their job easier, but it locks anyone who uses their software into systemd.

Open source does not always mean good.

>MacOS quality
What do you mean by this? inb4 troll answer

Underrated.

Compared to all the alternatives, yes.

It has coherent design, no graphical glitches, tearing, fonts are properly rendered, hooking up external displays just works, the install process is quick and painless, the software that's shipped is well-integrated with the operating system, battery life is good by default, large community, active development, stuff on GitHub includes sections for "how to install on Fedora", etc.

It's not frustrating, obscure, or incoherent. E.g., mac quality.

Reminder in the near future it won't matter what distros you use because applications will use different libraries than the core system, and system applications.

>MATE
>Cinnamon
>KDE

No.

All of those are garbage.

because DNF doesn't actually suck like APT does

So is GNOME.

besides XFCE,LXDE and gnome(specially 2) everything else sucks

MATE is GNOME 2.

>mediocre
>mediocre shiny
>shiny trash

Give me the quick rundown on wayland

I know almost nothing about it. How does it compare to x? What makes it better? All I know is the sandboxing and the lack of network functionality

MATE
KDE
LXDE
LXQT
Budgie
XFECES
Cinnamon

I've tried all the above and they are horrible. GNOME 3 is the best.

How exactly is it "ahead"?

>made packaging software a lot easier
I wouldn't mind systemd if it was a pure init system, it's good for that purpose. But why does it handle logging and a whole range of other things? They are one step from building wayland into it.

Fedora does ship KDE and XFCE and i3.. they just made GNOME the default desktop for their default spin. If you
dnf install @xfce-desktop-environment
you can use that instead. This applies to other distributions too. There are some differences between Fedora and Ubuntu, the package manager and file layout are important ones. What default desktop they ship means nothing if you're not too stupid to figure out how to switch between XFCE and GNOME and KDE easily on any distro.

>what a great release F25 was
It's released? Really? should I dnf upgrade?

I've tried almost every Linux DE and a few TWMs too, and I have to GNOME is by far the most polished, responsive, modern looking distro, and it's great for power users and casuals a like.

The only niche it doesn't fill is being Windows-like. If you want a cheap windows knock-off, you have about 5 to choose from. GNOME is a unique and imo superior desktop paradigm.

It just works. X is ancient, older than 99% of Sup Forums -- Wayland has better architecture and design, and is much simpler.

There's a lot of technical stuff too, but hey, google

F25 has been out since November. Yeah, punch it.

F25 was a massive update that put it far ahead of everything else, hence the thread

So am I going to install Fedora or Qubes OS?

GNOME is a desktop environment. It's is not a GNU/Linux distribution. You can have this on any.

My bad, I thought she meant Fedora 26 since there was talk about a new release.

How exactly is it "ahead"?