What is with this trend of making shit thinner?

What is with this trend of making shit thinner?
>it doesn't make phones and laptops lighter because you need stronger material to make sure you products won't fall apart
>it doesn't make phones and laptops cheaper because these materials are rare and expensive most of the time
>it removes usefull ports replaces them with new ports that are rarely if ever as usefull as old ones
It doesn't make screens bigger or better,,it decreases battery life,it makes laptops less durable,it doesn't improve keyboards or mouse,it add NOTHING!Why do companies do this?!

As far as phones go it's pretty much over. Things have more or less settled.

It would be incredibly unergonomic to have something even thinner.

1 part normie demand, 1 part Apple.

Fashion. that's all.

Slightly easier to carry and it looks better.

Girl pants have very thin pockets.

That's mostly a rationalization. Actually the 3 first iphones were thick compared to thin phones but still it sold like hotcakes to girls and fags.

The pants are usually either so tight that it's uncomfortable to have anything phone-sized in them, or lose enough that a 15mm thick phone can be squeezed in. Tried this on my gf. Of course it makes it a bit easier, but it's not the reason at all.

Also the slimness is ruined by cases, especially the wallet cases that are popular now, those make the phone more than 20mm thick.

That's why girls usually have them in a handbag, jacket pocket and leave them around on tables everywhere.

It's about the fashion. Even when reading "reviews", they talk forever about how the phone feels premium, slim and "sexy", and MIGHT devote a paragraph to how it fits in a jeans pocket. And just like with fashion in other fields, it's the media, corporations and fashionistas that push the fashion, while the vast majority just buys what's popular.

>>it doesn't make phones and laptops lighter because you need stronger material to make sure you products won't fall apart
it literally does you autist
>>it doesn't make phones and laptops cheaper because these materials are rare and expensive most of the time
Stop being poor
>>it removes usefull ports replaces them with new ports that are rarely if ever as usefull as old ones
They are in fact more useful. USB-C was the best thing to happen to USB
>It doesn't make screens bigger or better,,it decreases battery life,it makes laptops less durable,it doesn't improve keyboards or mouse,it add NOTHING!Why do companies do this?!
screen size is perfectly fine now. It may decrease battery life a little but i dont want to carry around a heavy one. it also may make laptops less durable but i dont drop my laptops. also it kinda does improve keyboard and mice

>screen size is perfectly fine now.

>t. poor retard
Was there ever any doubt?

What's your point ?
OP is right tho, no need to invest billions to make phones 3mm thinner, I'd pay for a not-too-expensive one with a huge battery.

Bezels are disgustingly thick, and have been for years. Smaller bezels is something that actually makes a laptop more portable with 0 drawbacks, unlike thinness.

I'm fine with it. You can buy a very expensive thin phone with no battery or a cheap xianomi redmeme with a 4000 mAh battery that lasts days. You can buy a ultrabook laptop with a weak CPU that's barely able to compute combined with a battery that lasts 5 minutes or you can buy a thick business laptop that will last.

It's not like there's only thin phones and laptops on the market. If some people want that then they should have that.

>Even when reading "reviews", they talk forever about how the phone feels premium, slim and "sexy"
This is why I hate reviews so much and if I even look at those it's a few select youtube reviewers who actually get all the points right. I don't care what some middle-aged guy thinks about it's look. I'd like a reviewer to actually put a good pair of headphones in the headphone jack and listen and tell us how it sounds. I'd like a reviewer to actually drive around and see what the GPS is like. I'd like to know the raw benchmark numbers. I'd like to see actual video footage of the cameras in various lighting conditions. All this is way too much to ask from any traditional "news outlet" or "industry magazine". No, let's just talk about how it looks compared to the eyephone and be done.

you can add your own huge battery if you want one. it's the unix way.
and don't go "bu-but external packs are ugly!" after whining about fashion .

but bezels are useful. you dont want the sun to shine over your monitor, making the corners slightly harder to see? also theres already barely bezel

>it doesn't make phones and laptops lighter because you need stronger material to make sure you products won't fall apart
>it doesn't make phones and laptops cheaper because these materials are rare and expensive most of the time
not true to a point. there are more and less strong aluminium alloys and the costs don't explode when going to stronger alloys.

>it removes usefull ports replaces them with new ports that are rarely if ever as usefull as old ones
true. 3.5 mm 4life

>it literally does
Laptops have been getting lighter, but by being thicker and using more durable and lighter materials instead they could be lighter. It's not because they're thin.

>Stop being poor
As someone who could buy the best macbook with cash no problem, your willingness to waste money disgusts me.

>They are in fact more useful
Yeah carrying dongles so you can actually use 99% of the existing standards sounds useful indeed. USB-c is fine, but having only USB-c now is just stupid.

They are not.

>Stop being poor
I own my home and I have zero debut and a nice savings account and I own zero Apple products. I have actually never met someone with an iPhone who's in a similar solid economic situation.

protip: those who have money have it because we don't waste it on overpriced garbage.

>>>it removes usefull ports replaces them with new ports that are rarely if ever as usefull as old ones
>They are in fact more useful. USB-C was the best thing to happen to USB
Go to any modern webshop and look at the monitor section and tell me exactly how many standard monitors have a USB input. Now compare that to the amount with HDMI and DisplayPort. This is why laptops should have HDMI and/or DisplayPort to not be considered a toy or a fashion statement.

If you want to connect to a network then you need a ethernet jack. This, again, is needed for a laptop to be more than a fashion statement.

USB-C can replace USB-A eventually and in the meantime we need a laptop with 50/50, say two USB-A and two USB-C since most things that exist today use USB-A and perhaps things in the future will use USB-C. Either this is obvious to you or your brain isn't functioning properly.

exactly.

You could when removable batteries was the standard. Now you need impractical abominations like this.

>Laptops have been getting lighter, but by being thicker and using more durable and lighter materials instead they could be lighter. It's not because they're thin.
But the materials are the same. Same aluminium, etc
>As someone who could buy the best macbook with cash no problem, your willingness to waste money disgusts me.
It's not a waste if it actually has a good use.
>Yeah carrying dongles so you can actually use 99% of the existing standards sounds useful indeed. USB-c is fine, but having only USB-c now is just stupid.
>not upgrading your stuff to USB-C now

also bezels are useful. If they weren't they wouldn't exist

>Slightly easier to carry
Yeah, it takes up less space in your manpurse because screens are already too large to fit in your pocket anyway.

>I own my home and I have zero debut and a nice savings account and I own zero Apple products. I have actually never met someone with an iPhone who's in a similar solid economic situation.
Basically a poorfriend. Also it just shows that even poor people want to use the quality stuff!
>Go to any modern webshop and look at the monitor section and tell me exactly how many standard monitors have a USB input.
USB is not meant to be a replacement for hdmi/displayport.
>If you want to connect to a network then you need a ethernet jack. This, again, is needed for a laptop to be more than a fashion statement.
Get a usb-c to ethernet cable.
>USB-C can replace USB-A eventually and in the meantime we need a laptop with 50/50, say two USB-A and two USB-C since most things that exist today use USB-A and perhaps things in the future will use USB-C. Either this is obvious to you or your brain isn't functioning properly.
Most of my things use USB-C. Also nice non-argument.

>But the materials are the same. Same aluminium, etc
The recent weight improvements in for example macbooks is mostly because of lower power CPU/GPU. They have gotten more and more efficient, meaning you need smaller heatsinks and batteries which are heavy. Hard drives are no longer standard, they are also heavy. Also soldering everything to the mobo further reduces weight.

>It's not a waste if it actually has a good use.
Then you should argue for why it's worth it instead of calling people poor.

>also bezels are useful
No they are not. They're just needed to keep things and protect the screen edge (And no, thicker bezel doesnt make it significantly more durable, especially when the glass goes out to the edge anyways) in place.

>not upgrading your stuff to USB-C now
>Wasting more money replacing all your stuff, not getting anything better... Sounds great.
Then you still need adapters for when you're not home.

>Also it just shows that even poor people want to use the quality stuff!
No, poor people just need "luxury" goods to feel less poor. Of course this puts them in debt which is often why they are poor... It's called Conspicuous consumption.

>USB is not meant to be a replacement for hdmi/displayport.
Yes it is. You sure talk a lot about usb-c without having a clue.

>Get a usb-c to ethernet cable.
Just another dongle you need to get along with hdmi, VGA, usbA, 3,5mm...

>Most of my things use USB-C. Also nice non-argument.
He made a good, valid argument unlike you. You wouldnt have wasted that money on usbC stuff if you had A ports.But as usual with your kind, form>function.

essentially glass casing a thin microchip that has some kind of wireless connection

its the future baby

watch them somehow print a phone on a sheet of plastic, just to fuck with you

>You can buy a very expensive thin phone with no battery or a cheap xianomi redmeme with a 4000 mAh battery that lasts days

Ironically enough, the Xiaomeme isn't really thick either.

pretty much. tons of those reviews might as well just be unboxing videos.

>Why do companies do this?!
Because when the marketing department has more sway over the design than the engineering department, we get things like that.
Thin and huge phones are popular because of the wow factor when you hold one for the first time.
That "magic" is gone for everybody as we have used smartphones for a long time now and nothing has changed.
So they change what they can change.

I've never seen somebody so punchable wow, and to top it off, he works for apple, of course he works for apple.

>iphone 6 corner bends while in a case because the phone is such shit
>eventually the glass in said corner breaks
>take to apple store
>oh sorry but there's a microscopic seperation near the headphone jack so if you want your two year old phone screen repaired it'll be two hundred dollars
>laugh and tell the guy no fucking way
Now to just wait for the Galaxy S8 to get approved by my company so I can order it. Apple's CS absolutely blows nowadays and they're addicted to thinness over sensibility.

I tried the New Macbook and Macbook Pro, the new keyboard mechanism gives essentially no feedback and the touch bar is a fucking joke ergonomically.

>iphone 6
>get touch disease
>take to apple store
>oh sorry, you don't have an iphone 6 plus so that will be $350 instead of $150 because we don't recognize the problem with the iphone 6

They create phones for the showroom.

here
Made a mistake, it was $299 + tax, not $200, a price to essentially make you finance a new phone instead. Fuck that shit.

Apple's denial of problems has gone back years (e.g. thermal paste being overapplied in older MBPs, pic related) but they generally owned up to it after, now they're blatlantly ignoring shit luck the touch disease in non-plus models. Horrible CS.

the trend ended in 2012 for non-poorfags
it has been literally five years
must suck to be using a used thinkpad from ebay and a shitbox phone that you have to reflash every 3 months because your pajeetROM-OS gets slow

here
sorry, that pic is the older macbook
This pic is from the repair manual for the 2011 mbp. same thermal paste abuse.

is that erlich bachman

I would not mind that actually if the plastic was flexible

you could make your own case and just stick the plastic on it

the return of the flip phone

its already un ergonomic

>use one syringe per pad

I prefer a nice black bezel on my monitor because its easier to stay focused on the screen and not the shit around my monitor.

is this a joke?

>we've already passed the "make things lighter"-phase
>people will pay whatever to have the latest status item
>nobody cares, see above

No. apple actually threatened suit over it.

>no steel phone

>not buying a devilcase

Having metal cage around antenna tier retarded.

Looks like tj miller's retarded brother